shape
carat
color
clarity

Impulse Pearl Purchase

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My first pearl purchase since joining PS and I still didn't bother researching :doh:

I've bought pearls on/off but admittedly have only considered lustre, tone and style.

The Tahitian pearl strand (10-12mm) will be 20" with a 14k wg clasp. Admittedly this is my most expensive pearl piece by far and it's freaking me out a bit. I am wondering if like CS, I should've researched more and looked online. I know the color isn't consistent but it was the combination that caught my eye.

The Chinese blush colored fresh water strand (12-15mm) will be 34" with a gold plated clasp.

IMG_20171217_153054.jpg

I paid $1800 for both to be made. Checking around, I don't think I got ripped off (if I did I could probably back out) but would like to learn what to look for/ask future purchases.

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
If you love them and want to wear both every day then what's wrong? Sometimes 'doing research' is just a way of faffing round by people who will never be satisfied (eg Rachel from friends)

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They look great! Post pictures when you get them, ok?

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That’s a good price for near round Tahitians in that length, and the pearls themselves look beautiful. I’d be happy with that set.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:eek2:
If you love them and want to wear both every day then what's wrong? Sometimes 'doing research' is just a way of faffing round by people who will never be satisfied (eg Rachel from friends)

Nothing is wrong but I appreciate the CS education that PSers have provided me over the years. Most of my pearl purchases over the years have been from the same vendor and while I would never question her honesty, I've never really compared her price/quality to what else is out there on the market...so I was curious.

Since joining PS, I know I have some pieces I paid too much for or aren't the best...and that doesn't diminish my love for them (unless its a stone with a big window :eek2: . I can assure you that I know there will always be nicer pieces than what I have out there but that doesn't mean I am not happy/grateful for what I have.

They look great! Post pictures when you get them, ok?

Thank you, I will!

That’s a good price for near round Tahitians in that length, and the pearls themselves look beautiful. I’d be happy with that set.

Thank you! The price seemed competitive to what I was seeing on-line but knowing nothing about pearls, didn't know if I was comparing apples-to-apples. My vendor told me she is retiring soon and I would love to learn what to look for when buying pearls on-line. I was hoping there would be a "new to pearl buying thread" like there is in the CS forum and not seeing one, thought I would just use my recent purchase as a starting point. (Admittedly, I still often have trouble picking out things other PSers see in pictures of CS stones and I've been buying those for years)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results