shape
carat
color
clarity

Improved method to make artificial diamonds a threat to the diamond industry?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

flowerladytoo

Shiny_Rock
I found this story tonight and thought it was very interesting. Wondering what the experts on here think about it. Is it really a threat to the natural diamond industry? Personally, I want the real thing...imperfections an all!

Entire Article

excerpt:
The improving quality of synthetic diamonds threatens the natural diamond market. While 20 tonnes of natural diamonds are mined annually, some 600 tonnes of synthetic diamonds are produced each year for industrial use alone.

They are used in a range of high-end technologies, such as lasers and high-pressure anvils. Some companies have also started to sell synthetic diamonds as gemstones. In response, diamond giant De Beers has set up a "Gem Defensive Programme" with the aim of finding ways to tell apart synthetic and natural diamonds.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not yet.
10 years down the road maybe it is a growth market.
Its a potential threat to DeBeers and other mining companies but I do not consider it a threat to the industry.
The smart people will see it as a opportunity to grow the market.

CVD diamonds are depth limited to how deep they can make the rough, and the other processes are expensive because of energy costs and the costs of equipment so it is no real threat yet.

That article is hype about something the writer clearly does not understand.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/14/2008 5:26:48 AM
Author: strmrdr
Not yet.

10 years down the road maybe it is a growth market.

Its a potential threat to DeBeers and other mining companies but I do not consider it a threat to the industry.

The smart people will see it as a opportunity to grow the market.

CVD diamonds are depth limited to how deep they can make the rough, and the other processes are expensive because of energy costs and the costs of equipment so it is no real threat yet.

That article is hype about something the writer clearly does not understand.

Is it really a threat to DeBeers though? I''ve heard they own most of the patents in this market...

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/15/2008 12:47:18 PM
Author: neatfreak

Is it really a threat to DeBeers though? I''ve heard they own most of the patents in this market...
The core technology is to old for patents to matter much.
A lot of the ones that do exist are held outside the jewelery industry for cvd.
So no they cant use patents as a road block but could produce them themselves if they wanted to.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
While on the subject of technology I think the breakthrough is going to come from the semi-conductor research and the technology that takes them mainstream hasn't been developed yet.
When they can hit 1/3 to 1/2 the cost of mined D-J color is the tipping point where I see them taking off.
The overall poor reputation of the industry is going to be a big driver in it taking off I think.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

de beers is the largest synthetic diamond producer thru its company Element Six (=carbon on the perodic scale)

this company recently was granted a patent to grow or place a logo or text inside a growing CVD diamond. I doubt that is for ''industrial purposes''
22.gif

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/15/2008 1:00:03 PM
Author: strmrdr

The core technology is to old for patents to matter much.
A lot of the ones that do exist are held outside the jewelery industry for cvd.
So no they cant use patents as a road block but could produce them themselves if they wanted to.
No significant new mines of natural Diamonds were discovered in the last 10+ years...
Some mines are running the risk of being depleted...

BINGO......
27.gif

Stest7895

Rough_Rock
17.gif
In 2005 I posted a blog about artifical diamonds and you basically told me I had no idea what I was talking about. This market will end up being big because we are consuming more then what we use... they will work out the kinks and make it more cost effective to produce them this way, however the question is are they going to be able to regulate them? Are they going to be able to keep track of every company that is making them and make sure that they are putting some sort of logo or engraving to tell them apart from real diamonds. Real diamonds will grow increasingly more expensive when this happens so all of us who own them or will buy them in the future need to be protected from con-artist type companies who can make them and just throw them on the market and call them real.

And isn''t Debeers banned from the U.S. because of the diamond mines in Africa and killing and maiming people over there... That was a long time ago but I thought Debeers was held responsible? It has been awhile since I have read about the diamond industry but I also thought that they were pretty much the only supplier of diamonds....

trying to catch up... sorry for my ignorance...

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/17/2008 5:16:42 PM
Author: Stest7895
17.gif
In 2005 I posted a blog about artifical diamonds and you basically told me I had no idea what I was talking about. This market will end up being big because we are consuming more then what we use... they will work out the kinks and make it more cost effective to produce them this way, however the question is are they going to be able to regulate them? Are they going to be able to keep track of every company that is making them and make sure that they are putting some sort of logo or engraving to tell them apart from real diamonds. Real diamonds will grow increasingly more expensive when this happens so all of us who own them or will buy them in the future need to be protected from con-artist type companies who can make them and just throw them on the market and call them real.

And isn''t Debeers banned from the U.S. because of the diamond mines in Africa and killing and maiming people over there... That was a long time ago but I thought Debeers was held responsible? It has been awhile since I have read about the diamond industry but I also thought that they were pretty much the only supplier of diamonds....

trying to catch up... sorry for my ignorance...

DeBeers is back in the US they got a slap on the wrist from the Bush administration and are back.

I have said all along that synthetics will be a major part of the diamond market, eventually they will be a bigger part than naturals.

Stest7895

Rough_Rock
31.gif
Yeah, it figures it would be something bush would do....

I am sorry if you thought my note was about you back in 2005 it was meant for Garry...

I have artifical diamonds and I love them just as much as my real diamonds, you can''t tell them apart with the naked eye. I said back in 2005 that I had read somewhere that artifical diamonds had been thrown into the market by russia or a comany in russia and the industry was shaken up because you can''t tell them apart easily like a cz... he told me I didn''t know what I was talking about... being that it is 2008 I can''t even fathom on how to find the article I had read and there is really no point now either... but I also stated that artifical diamonds were going to be the way the market eventually goes... he thumbed his nose at me... so here i am 3 years later reading posts and trying to catch up on industry and I see him.... no less talking about artifical diamonds... so I wanted to blog real quick and just say "I said that 3 years ago!" hee hee

EEFranklin

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Industrial lab diamonds have been around for quite some time and aren''t really a "threat" to the mined industry like the author makes it out to be. Why should it matter if someone''s diamond tipped saw is mined or lab-grown? As the technology matures, lab diamonds could play a very important role in technology like in computer chips and advanced optics, which a market doesn''t exist for with mined diamonds.

Strictly looking at gem-quality, the production capacities are still many years away from being able to fulfill supply, and nowhere near close to displacing gem-quality mined diamonds.

There are currently many ways to identify the existing lab diamonds on the market. Some are simple tests while others require more advanced equipment. For all of our diamonds over .30cts, they are laser inscribed on the girdle as created.

The terminology can also be confusing, as lab-diamonds are "real" in that they share the same properties as mined diamonds. Artificial and synthetic commonly imply "fake" or simulants, which they are not. Consumer education in this regard is probably more important than supply issues as they become more commonly available.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results