carat
color
clarity

Impossible Decision Between Two Finewater Sapphires

amalthea13

Rough_Rock
Premium
Hello all:

So you might remember my earlier thread here: https://www.pricescope.com/communit...mstone-purchase-sapphire.239787/#post-4315503

You all recommended Gary from Finewater gems so highly, and I must say that he's been incredible to work with.

I ordered the lighter sapphire (on the left) first, and it's gorgeous and made my heart sing, but was a little lighter than what I originally had in mind. Ideally, I'd like to put a thin halo of diamonds around the outside and then have a relatively simple white gold/pave setting. I thought the contrast with the diamonds and a richer blue would look better, so I asked him to send me the darker sapphire (on the right), with the caveat that I was almost positive that I would choose one of the two. Of course, then the darker one got here and I fell in love with that one too--now I can't decide!

I'd appreciate any of your thoughts as to quality, as well as how either of these would look in the setting that I've described. The lighter one is actually lighter than it photographs here. I think the second photo is the most accurate.

Price here is not an issue between the two, but they were both in the $5-6k range, in case that matters for any reason.

30223703_10156266435649919_826347184_o.jpg

30180629_10156266401849919_617442039_n.jpg

30185173_10156266401699919_1494875894_n.jpg

30179927_10156266401919919_860563386_n.jpg

(This is probably the least accurate photo, but I'm including it in case it helps anyone!)

A couple more photos of the lighter one in outdoor lighting:

30184484_10156266417574919_1763891500_n.jpg

30184504_10156266419974919_24985391_n.jpg

One of the darker one:
30179847_10156266437714919_528549004_n.jpg

Finally, this is the posting for the darker sapphire: https://www.finewatergems.com/store/p362/2.55_ct_Blue_Sapphire.html

And the lighter sapphire: https://www.finewatergems.com/store/p363/2.60_ct_Blue_Sapphire.html

Thank you for any help! It's definitely a first world problem, but I like them both so much!

mahaha

Shiny_Rock
They both look great to me. The "darker" one looks more "blue" to me. It's hard to tell from photos sometimes.
Not sure if anyone has told you this, but halo setting may darken the stone a bit too.
If you have a gem jar, you can take it around with you everywhere (look at it under different lights) and then pick the one you think looks better!

Good luck!

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I’ll be in the minority but I think I actually prefer the lighter one. The color seems to pop more to me. Having said that, color is king in gemstones so darker blue is more popular. Your third picture leaves me thinking the darker blue is better because it is definitely more intense. I see why your conflicted.

Do you have a pic of them both in outdoor sun and shade? You’re pics outside are nice but I’d love to see them on the same hand in the same lighting to make a real assessment.

amalthea13

Rough_Rock
Premium
Thank you! That's good to hear. I fell in love with the lighter one first, and am a little partial to it because of that, so it's good to know that the setting might darken it a bit!

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How long before you have to send one back?
Unless you are outside a lot, you need to concentrate on what appeals to you most in indoor light as this is how you will mostly be viewing your beauty.
What I find helps is this....
Put them both “away” for a day or so, then take them both out and look at them. One should “sing to you more” - that’s the one.
If you’re still stuck, I like the darker one better.

amalthea13

Rough_Rock
Premium
@elle_71125 Just asked my boyfriend for a few more photos while I'm at work! :lol-2:
30429731_10156266549999919_1293692637_n.jpg

30120397_10156266549994919_1339000530_n.jpg

@Bron357 : We didn't agree on a firm date, but I told him I hoped to decide this weekend. I like your advice about seeing if one "sings" to me! Right now, it's like a head/heart thing (head is telling me to go with the darker, heart really likes the lighter!)

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I still kinda like the lighter one most. You have to go with what speaks to you.
Bring them around with you this weekend. Check them out in lots of different lighting situations. Especially indoors, since you’ll be seeing that the most. Also, go with what your heart wants. If you were to send both back, which would you be most disappointed to lose?

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One more vote for the lighter one...

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love the lighter one! If I was a snake, and if I had the money, I would grab it! :mrgreen2:

Stevie Brazen

Rough_Rock
Premium
There really isn't a lot of difference, but in outdoor lighting and the shop photos, the darker one looks much better. Greater depth of colour.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Imo, don't go with the "better" one; go with the one you love. I've seen some gorgeous sapphires that were not ideal color and some uninspiring ones that were legitimately cert'ed as "Royal Blue." Recently set an inexpensive, somewhat pale blue sapphire in a man's ring for a relative. Perfect shape and very lively and looked much more vibrant in the bezel setting. The recipient can't stop looking at it!

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Imo, don't go with the "better" one; go with the one you love. I've seen some gorgeous sapphires that were not ideal color and some uninspiring ones that were legitimately cert'ed as "Royal Blue." Recently set an inexpensive, somewhat pale blue sapphire in a man's ring for a relative. Perfect shape and very lively and looked much more vibrant in the bezel setting. The recipient can't stop looking at it!

I second this. You can't go wrong with either of these 2 close and quality contestants. Go for the one you find your eye going to whenever you look at them both!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I too prefer the lighter one as I can better appreciate the cutting, and the colour pops at me.
DK :))

Jbows

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Lighter one! Although they are both amazing!

Deathspi

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Voting for the lighter one, although they are both stunning. Which one jumps out at you? When you look at these pictures, where do your eyes go to first? I agree with LilAlex, go for the one you love, not what you think is ‘better’ =)2

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both are beautiful in terms of color and cut, so in one sense you can't go wrong regardless of your choice. However, since you do have to pick one:

Since you're going with a thin halo of diamonds, go with the lighter blue one ... it should darken up ever so slightly from the diamond surround and be the perfect blue you wanted, and it has a liveliness about it that will shine in diamonds.

That said, if you were going with a prong-set solitaire, I'd have said, go with the darker blue, only because that stone has that special velvety quality ...

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I had a dream about your sapphires last night! How weird is that? I was holding them and loved them so much that the jeweler showed me two pairs of sapphires the size of quarters! :lol: I was playing with them, then I woke up.

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Lighter one although both are stunning and you can’t make a bad choice.

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Final Jeopardy theme music in the background...........what's your answer???? : )

amalthea13

Rough_Rock
Premium
Thank you all for the responses! I do sincerely appreciate the input, and am glad to know that this community of educated gemstone enthusiasts thinks these are both great choices!

@digdeep I think my final choice is...that I’m going to decide tomorrow! Currently, I’m leaning towards the darker one, because as much as I love the cut on the light, it is much lighter than it photographs. It is also extremely bright in certain kinds of lighting, whereas the dark has a subtle shine that I really appreciate. But I’ve already changed my mind once, and I could definitely change it again.

I’ve walked around with them both, taken some time away from them both, and still don’t think I’ve made a firm decision. I’ll update you all and let you know what I finally choose (and which is going back on the market!)

corundum_conundrum

Shiny_Rock
Premium
They're both great, but I'd give the slight edge to the darker one. It's just a bit more saturated and classic. It might also depend on where you live, however. The darker one looks amazing in the outdoor shot--but do you spend lot's of time outdoors? If you're wearing mittens 6 months of the year, that's something to consider.

Nevertheless, ceteris paribus, I'll vote for the dark one.

MJ_Mac

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I agree with the others who have said to pick the sapphire your eyes go to first. Your eyes won’t lie to you. This will be the one that makes your heart sing. But I understand the tough decision when our brain and heart start arguing. I almost gave up a paraiba tourmaline because of a window and not being an ideal colour. The jeweller/gemologist sent it back and brought others in for me to view. I could not get that one out of head. I had her bring it back in for another look and knew it was the one. We had the cut tweaked a bit and I couldn’t be happier. I look at my ring and even though it’s not the ideal Windex blue most people covet it was perfect to me. Sorry for being long winded but thought it might help if I shared that story.

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You can’t go wrong. They are both lovely! I think it’s impossible to tell completely about blues from photographs. You will know better just because you can see the stones in different lights.

One of my joys is seeing how a stone responds to different light. Is it still pretty in the shade, or under the icky fluorescent lights at work? I prefer a stone that’s dancing with the light to one that’s too velvety. To me your lighter stone seems to be more alive, like I can appreciate the cutting better. But I can’t be sure as they are both exquisite stones and both pretty on you.

Enjoy!

amalthea13

Rough_Rock
Premium
@MissyBeaucoup No, that's exactly right. The lighter stone definitely catches the light more, which is why I'm drawn to it. The cutting is really good.

Do you know if it's possible to find a darker blue sapphire that "dances with the light" as you so eloquently put it? I was really hoping to pick one of these two (these are sapphires #3 and #4 on our search), but if it were possible to find a darker version of that light stone, that might be something to consider. (The first sapphire we ordered was WAY too dark, from Gemfix, and the second was from an Etsy seller and very similar to the light sapphire I have now, but the cutting wasn't as good).

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You are learning something at every step on this adventure..........wishing you good luck! Have you asked Gary about the 'dances with light' ideal stone---he may know where to find one?

amalthea13

Rough_Rock
Premium
I picked the lighter one! :mrgreen: So glad to have this decision behind me, but I think I found a very expensive hobby in this process. There are so many pretty stones out there!

Thanks for all of your help! I’ll make sure to post a photo of the final ring.

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I picked the lighter one! :mrgreen: So glad to have this decision behind me, but I think I found a very expensive hobby in this process. There are so many pretty stones out there!

Thanks for all of your help! I’ll make sure to post a photo of the final ring.
Congratulations on your big decision! It's a beautiful sapphire.

Sorry not sorry you've been bit by the CS bug!

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Congrats!!! Looking forward to pic's of the finished ring!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results