shape
carat
color
clarity

Importing loose diamond from USA to Ontario, Canada

Riesz

Rough_Rock
The border agency office is closed for the day so I can't get an "official" answer and I've read so many different posts on the issue so I'm hoping to get the import tax clarified.

Has anyone recently shipped a loose diamond only from the USA to Ontario? If so, did you pay HST or GST? Some posts on the forums claim only GST (5%) is taxed on loose stones, while other posts say HST (13%) on everything -- loose stones, finished jewelry, etc.

Does anyone know what I will be taxed on my diamond as of April 2013?

Thank you!

almondbear

Rough_Rock
I was just wondering what did you end up paying in taxes for your loose diamond?

Was it 5%? Or was it HST/GST/PST?

Thanks

AN0NYM0US

Shiny_Rock
You pay HST

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
You will pay only the normal sales taxes for your province (GST + PST, or HST). Nothing else.

Stive85

Shiny_Rock
ship it to buffalo to an appraiser there and pick it up in the US...that way if u send back customs is easy to clear etc...and you might get lucky and get a boarder guard in a good mood... haha

annam

Rough_Rock
I believe the duty for a cut diamond is 5% then HST is charged as well. You can check this on the CBSA website under HS codes.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
annam|1396051876|3643198 said:
I believe the duty for a cut diamond is 5% then HST is charged as well. You can check this on the CBSA website under HS codes.

There is no duty on loose diamonds from the US. I have bought and imported many many many diamonds. I can say with 100% certainty that all you will pay is the GST/PST on the purchase price.

The exception is if the seller does NOT stipulate the diamond as "US made". Most will -- there is a form they complete if they are jewelers. When I have bought used I ask the seller to say "adornment, US made" on the packaging and have never had an issue.

I have called the CBSA a few times to reconfirm.

Search PS for other threads. One time I posted all sorts of links on this topic.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results