shape
carat
color
clarity

Importing Indian diamond ring into Canada questions

starz1

Rough_Rock
Hi there,
I found this jewelry company that I would like to buy a solitaire ring from and had some questions...

-when I import the ring into Canada, besides Ont.'s PST+GST (13%), will I have to pay anymore fee's than this?

-do I need any special certificates or licenses or anything to import cut and polished diamond jewelry?

-does the jewelry company need to have a Kimberly certificiate that goes with my ring, and what if they dont?

-And I read that if I buy/import more than 50k of diamnd jewelry in a tear I need to sign p for the Kimberly program?

Seems like alot for something thats cut and polished and no excise tax is even on it anymore. Its not like im importing any rough stones so whats the big deal?
thanks

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
My answers apply to consumers importing/buying good for personal use, not for commercial importers, which is likely a different scenerio.

-when I import the ring into Canada, besides Ont.'s PST+GST (13%), will I have to pay anymore fee's than this?

No, you only pay taxes. BUT you should call customs to double check this applies to imports from India. I know it applies to imports from the US but it is possible that is a specific agreement with the US. I think it was universal though.

-do I need any special certificates or licenses or anything to import cut and polished diamond jewelry?

No.

-does the jewelry company need to have a Kimberly certificiate that goes with my ring, and what if they dont?

I don't think that is relevant to importing. If you want it, I guess you would need to get it.

-And I read that if I buy/import more than 50k of diamnd jewelry in a tear I need to sign p for the Kimberly program?

No idea.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results