shape
carat
color
clarity

I'm sorry, but it is time to PANIC!

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
DO YOU KNOW?

The USA is 231 years old? The Weather Channel has reported that Storm Sandy is a once in 250 year event.

How tall your ceilings are? They are expecting 11 foot swells in Battery Park, NYC.

Two full workdays is equivalent to 16 hours. This is the length of time power was out in the current longest/biggest power outage in the US. It was in 2003. It was the Northeast Blackout of 2003.

There are 365 days in a year. This is the approximate number of First Responders who perished as a result of the 9/11 attacks. In addition to people who refuse to comply with evacuation recommendations, rescue personnel will be put in danger or losing their lives.

I'm going to continue to compile statistics. I'm sorry if you feel like this is inappropriate, but I live in Oklahoma where disasters, natural and man made, are unfortunately not uncommon. So we are familiar with (no one is ever "prepared") the consequences of these events.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
The average miles put on a car in one year is 15,000 miles. That's the equivalent of 41 miles per day. How far is your evacuation location?

Two thirds of the nations public transportation riders are in NYC. There will be a complete shutdown of all public transportation in NYC starting at 7pm tonight. I can't even find a number to approximate the $$ loss this would be.

Plastic payments now account for 53 percent of consumer purchases. I'm just imagining it may likely be higher in NYC. How much cash would you need for one weeks trasactions?

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
cash? enough to cover inflation and cost gouging as some try to take advantage of the situation to make more than a buck off the unfortunate. keep small bills, lots of them. not $20's. ones and fives. ok, i'm in california but we're prone to earthquakes and loma prieta in 1989 taught some of us the wisdom of being prepared on many levels.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
The population of New Orleans before Hurricane Katrina was about 484,000 people, after: about 360,400 people. This is about the number of people in NYC under order of evacuation.

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Panic? I hope you're being a bit tongue in cheek, because that is rather alarmist. Trust me, the East Coast deals with climate disasters frequently too, and knows how to deal with blizzards, hurricanes, and other issues. People can definitely be lackadaisical about it, but certainly by this point everyone is aware of the precautions they need to take. In Massachusetts, they are already announcing school closures, notifiying people of emergency escape routes, and warning them to be prepared. So, don't PANIC, but calmly and rationally be prepared for the worst.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I hope so too, Selkie. It is NYC residents that may be the most impacted by this. I'm not knowing how they may react to a 1+ week without power or water, inability for foodstuffs to be moved into the city, inability to travel due to the indefinite shutdown of public transport (especially subway system), and probable looting. Just thinking about the loss of elevator service and having to walk up and down completely black stairwells is scary.

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock
Selkie|1351458509|3294290 said:
Panic? I hope you're being a bit tongue in cheek, because that is rather alarmist. Trust me, the East Coast deals with climate disasters frequently too, and knows how to deal with blizzards, hurricanes, and other issues. People can definitely be lackadaisical about it, but certainly by this point everyone is aware of the precautions they need to take. In Massachusetts, they are already announcing school closures, notifiying people of emergency escape routes, and warning them to be prepared. So, don't PANIC, but calmly and rationally be prepared for the worst.[/quote]

Agreed, and amen. People in a panic rarely accomplish what they need to in order to be truly prepared. People here (VA) are taking this very seriously, but no reason to lose our heads.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
The hyperbole was intended to get people's attention. I didn't think SERIOUSLY PREPARE would generate many views :wacko:

CharmedOne

Brilliant_Rock
I'm in PA near the wicked jet stream thingy. We are prepared, but people at the store were buying everything like its the end of the world. I understand the panic because you just don't know, til you know. I just have never been the panic type, but I do pray for the family of those that have lost loved ones and I pray for anyone the storm will affect. I hope we all fair well and it moves faster than projected.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Selkie|1351458509|3294290 said:
Panic? I hope you're being a bit tongue in cheek, because that is rather alarmist. Trust me, the East Coast deals with climate disasters frequently too, and knows how to deal with blizzards, hurricanes, and other issues. People can definitely be lackadaisical about it, but certainly by this point everyone is aware of the precautions they need to take. In Massachusetts, they are already announcing school closures, notifying people of emergency escape routes, and warning them to be prepared. So, don't PANIC, but calmly and rationally be prepared for the worst.

I agree, Selkie. Hi, by the way! :wavey:

We just got word that we don't have school tomorrow (I'm northwest of Boston), and it seems a little silly to me. I don't live in the direct path of the storm though. I do think it's a good idea to be prepared and take whatever precautions people deem necessary, but panicking might do more harm than good.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Upgradable|1351460463|3294307 said:
The hyperbole was intended to get people's attention. I didn't think SERIOUSLY PREPARE would generate many views :wacko:
:bigsmile: Gotcha.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
CharmedOne|1351460807|3294309 said:
I'm in PA near the wicked jet stream thingy. We are prepared, but people at the store were buying everything like its the end of the world. I understand the panic because you just don't know, til you know. I just have never been the panic type, but I do pray for the family of those that have lost loved ones and I pray for anyone the storm will affect. I hope we all fair well and it moves faster than projected.
I'm praying the same, and I know most will be prepared. I'm always wary of those who think "I'll be fine."

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just reread what I wrote, and I hope it didn't appear to sound insensitive to those who are in the path of the storm. I hope those who are stay safe.

bolivianram

Rough_Rock
i really disagree with shutting down business/schools Mon/Tues instead of Tues/Weds (or, in addition to Weds).

Wednesday is the day I need to go out and determine the shape of the local roads, the utilities, where is the nearest open grocery store, water company issues, my neighbors and how they and their property fared the previous 24 hours. How am I going to do that stuff if I am expected to be "business as usual" on Wednesday?

Everyone will be (hopefully) safely huddled up in their houses for 36 hours beginning tomorrow evening. Wednesday is when the masses leave their houses and find out what happened since they last were able to go outside. Yeah right if everyone is expected to just leave their families/homes etc and then find out 3-4 hours later that their town is experiencing looting, or more trees are coming down, etc. I am so ticked off by this.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Please stay safe, everyone.. :sick:

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
It will be what it will be. I can only do my level best to be prepared, and the rest I give up to god. Planes are still flying. Rain is super heavy.

I pray I don't get crushed by trees. We have trimmed our's and neighbors trimmed their's but there are many that are over 200 years old and only god will know if they can withstand this storm.

Charlie pants and I will be hunkering down.

We have a new roof, and the sump pump will be working over time..

Stay safe all... :wavey:

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I will be praying, praying, praying for all affected!

Oh, and I might write in Chris Christie as my presidential choice! :D

CharmedOne

Brilliant_Rock
I hear you Uppy about Chris Christie. I love the fact that he is not taking any chances. The people that are pissed off at his decision really boggle my mind. If he didn't make the decision and people get hurt, then they want to sue. You really can't please everybody.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I love that he just speaks plainly, and then completely owns what he says. I'm so tired of politicians that are professional tap dancers. :nono:

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock
Upgradable|1351466913|3294382 said:
I love that he just speaks plainly, and then completely owns what he says. I'm so tired of politicians that are professional tap dancers. :nono:

AMEN, can I get a witness?

Anastasia

Shiny_Rock
aviastar|1351468450|3294393 said:
Upgradable|1351466913|3294382 said:

AMEN, can I get a witness?

Double Amen!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not only do I wish I could vote for Chris Christie, I would like him to be in charge of every company in this country AND make him my next husband.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Three thousand 911 calls in NYC complaining of downed trees.

People stranded in Atlantic City.

Folks are already calling for rescue. Fire and police are picking people up and taking them to shelters.

Direct quote from NJ governor, "Don't be an idiot. Get out of here!"

:nono:

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Upgradable|1351452997|3294222 said:
DO YOU KNOW?

The USA is 231 years old? The Weather Channel has reported that Storm Sandy is a once in 250 year event.

How tall your ceilings are? They are expecting 11 foot swells in Battery Park, NYC.

Two full workdays is equivalent to 16 hours. This is the length of time power was out in the current longest/biggest power outage in the US. It was in 2003. It was the Northeast Blackout of 2003.

There are 365 days in a year. This is the approximate number of First Responders who perished as a result of the 9/11 attacks. In addition to people who refuse to comply with evacuation recommendations, rescue personnel will be put in danger or losing their lives.

I'm going to continue to compile statistics. I'm sorry if you feel like this is inappropriate, but I live in Oklahoma where disasters, natural and man made, are unfortunately not uncommon. So we are familiar with (no one is ever "prepared") the consequences of these events.

11 foot swells at the world trade center site, and the trade center looked like an eleven, details at eleven.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was in the nasty Drechio that swept across the midwest on June 29, 2012, I was without power for 5 days...it was not fun and I dont wish it on anyone..some of your statistics are eye-openers...I pray that everyone stays safe and is prepared :(sad

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
VapidLapid|1351546065|3295079 said:
Upgradable|1351452997|3294222 said:
DO YOU KNOW?

11 foot swells at the world trade center site, and the trade center looked like an eleven, details at eleven.

You still, and always will, crack me up!! It really is very few posters who can actually "read" the thought behind my posts. I is probably a very good thing they can't! :twisted:

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Upgradable|1351544617|3295056 said:
Three thousand 911 calls in NYC complaining of downed trees. (Really not what 911 is for)

People stranded in Atlantic City. They knew to get out!

Folks are already calling for rescue. Fire and police are picking people up and taking them to shelters. The term Mandatory Evacuation really means "It's not too bad yet."??????

Direct quote from NJ governor, "Don't be an idiot. Get out of here!" (This stands alone.)

:nono:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results