shape
carat
color
clarity

I'm so tired of diamond disasters...

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I feel very frustrated. I mean, extremely frustrated. Last night i was doing some work in the kitchen and by mistake i hit my left hand on the wall. Until this moment, i don't understand how i managed to do this. From the sound that i heard, i instantly realized that i had damaged my diamond eternity ring. With trembling hands i took my loupe out and checked it thoroughly. The result: Three diamonds cracked or chipped and the metal bent and damaged on two different spots.
This ring has a great sentimental value for me. My DH bought it for me at a time that we had no savings left, due to the fact that we had spent it all on my treatments/surgeries/therapies, while i was fighting breast cancer. He wanted to give me something that would make me very happy after the nightamare that we had gone through and it was a big financial sacrifice at that time.
I called my jeweler who, above all, is a great friend of mine and explained what had happened. i have an appointment with him today, to discuss what are my options at this point. I was crying on the phone during the entire time that we were talking.
Nevertheless, this is not the only diamond disaster that i have experienced lately. A while ago one of the two side stones of my ER fell off of the setting and i only realized it when i went to the bathroom to wash my hands and the empty prongs poked and scratched my hand. Again crying and feeling upset for many days in a row, until the diamond was found in the most miraculous way: My sister called and said that she had a hunch that my side diamond had fallen inside my handbag. I unwillingly went and searched in my handbag and there it was, sparkling at the bottom of the bag. Unbelievable story indeed... I had the ring repaired afterwards but every time i wear it (which is almost every day) i feel worried and i can't relax and enjoy it.
I also lost one of my diamond earrings, lost two melee diamonds from my thinner eternity ring and one diamond from a pink sapphire and diamond eternity ring that DH had bought me years ago, to match my original pink sapphire and diamond ER.
I feel very tired of all this saga. I realize that i don't enjoy wearing any diamond jewelry any more, due to the fact that i keep losing diamonds or damaging very expensive pieces of jewelry. This morning i was seriously thinking of selling all my rings and just keep my plain white gold wedding band to wear on my hands.
I realize that there are far more serious problems in this world than my diamond misfortunes but i really had to vent here, where people understand and are not judgemental.
(sigh...very sad...)

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I feel very frustrated. I mean, extremely frustrated. Last night i was doing some work in the kitchen and by mistake i hit my left hand on the wall. Until this moment, i don't understand how i managed to do this. From the sound that i heard, i instantly realized that i had damaged my diamond eternity ring. With trembling hands i took my loupe out and checked it thoroughly. The result: Three diamonds cracked or chipped and the metal bent and damaged on two different spots.
This ring has a great sentimental value for me. My DH bought it for me at a time that we had no savings left, due to the fact that we had spent it all on my treatments/surgeries/therapies, while i was fighting breast cancer. He wanted to give me something that would make me very happy after the nightamare that we had gone through and it was a big financial sacrifice at that time.
I called my jeweler who, above all, is a great friend of mine and explained what had happened. i have an appointment with him today, to discuss what are my options at this point. I was crying on the phone during the entire time that we were talking.
Nevertheless, this is not the only diamond disaster that i have experienced lately. A while ago one of the two side stones of my ER fell off of the setting and i only realized it when i went to the bathroom to wash my hands and the empty prongs poked and scratched my hand. Again crying and feeling upset for many days in a row, until the diamond was found in the most miraculous way: My sister called and said that she had a hunch that my side diamond had fallen inside my handbag. I unwillingly went and searched in my handbag and there it was, sparkling at the bottom of the bag. Unbelievable story indeed... I had the ring repaired afterwards but every time i wear it (which is almost every day) i feel worried and i can't relax and enjoy it.
I also lost one of my diamond earrings, lost two melee diamonds from my thinner eternity ring and one diamond from a pink sapphire and diamond eternity ring that DH had bought me years ago, to match my original pink sapphire and diamond ER.
I feel very tired of all this saga. I realize that i don't enjoy wearing any diamond jewelry any more, due to the fact that i keep losing diamonds or damaging very expensive pieces of jewelry. This morning i was seriously thinking of selling all my rings and just keep my plain white gold wedding band to wear on my hands.
I realize that there are far more serious problems in this world than my diamond misfortunes but i really had to vent here, where people understand and are not judgemental.
(sigh...very sad...)
Oh, sorry to hear about your troubles, we are all sparkly lovers here and understand your woes so no judgement.

I believe you might be a bit hard on the jewellery you wear on your hands. It's a thing apparently, some people bang their hands on things more often, I know I do.
Take it off when you do chores, it's the only way to protect it.

Don't beat yourself up, maybe look for a way to redesign your rings in a more protective setting, like a bezel, something with a low profile or turn them into pendants worst case scenario. Selling them seems such a harsh thing to do.

Crimson

Brilliant_Rock
(sigh...very sad...)

So sorry to hear about all these accidents. I can empathize because I have lost or broken things too. I think @Gloria27 has given good suggestions. Maybe if you are really moving away from rings, some of them could be re-designed as pendants (usually less prone to breakage)?

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock
(sigh...very sad...)

Sending you big big hugs!!

Don’t be so hard on yourself - it is like a car, if you use it every day it will need some maintenance, and it does no good to you if you keep it safe in the garage.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Natylad, I am so sorry to hear of these recent mishaps. Careful as we try to be, sometimes things happen. I wouldn’t decide right now to sell the jewelry as you are upset and may see it differently in a bit. You are such a sweet, gentle soul and I hate that this happened! However, as others said, don’t be too hard on yourself. It could happen to any of us. Let us know what the jeweler says about your band. Hopefully, it can be repaired and all will be well. If you need to put your jewelry away for a bit until you feel more confident, then do it. Not forever though as these pieces are made to be worn and enjoyed. There is risk in almost everything we do and I am certain, that in time, you will get feel better about wearing your beautiful jewelry again. Hugs to you and best of luck with the repair!

margauxmines

Shiny_Rock
I'm so sorry to hear about your troubles, @Natylad! Some great suggestions here already—I hope one of them suits you. Best of luck with your jeweller friend, and I hope you find the confidence again to wear your beautiful sparkles! We are here for you!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@Natylad I’m so sorry you’re so upset. It was
accident. I’ve had accidents happen like that to me. I now take my rings off when I do cooking or washing dishes. I put them on a shelf in the kitchen. When I’m done I slip them back on. Hopefully your jeweler friend can repair your ring. They will definitely be able to replace the diamonds. Try not to beat yourself up about it. A bezel would be more protective..but diamonds can even be shattered in a bezel setting. Please don’t sell your jewelry. I know how upset you are because I recently lost my favorite diamond band. I tortured myself..calling myself names, etc..It wasn’t healthy..Logically I knew it was an accident..so I’m working on forgiving myself. I’ve made new habits to try to prevent it from happening again. Try to make a new habit of taking them off when you are cooking, etc. Big hugs!

Mrsz1ppy

Brilliant_Rock
I have a terrible track record of losing an earring. For years I wore costume because of this. Now I m back wearing the real deal, but have bought safety backs For my studs. I also use tiny silicon tube-shaped backs for hooks or hoops.

I keep ring holders by every sink at home, and take my rings off when I do chores or cook. It is upsetting to damage the stones or loose them. I tell myself that with the precious metals in non-costume jewelry, it can be repaired. That is one reason it is valued.

There is a reason jewels recommend prong checks. It’s important for daily wear rings.

Most of all, give yourself forgiveness! Let your jewelry spark joy. If it is too stressful at the moment, put it up. But I think the pain will diminish and one day the joy will return.

Sending you a virtual hug. 17E2D1B1-B33D-49F1-8F9B-14FC4E9080C0.png

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm a klutz and I love delicate or complex, or other weird settings that don't long survive my klutziness. I've had to reset older pieces into settings that better protect the stones and new custom work is always crafted to protect the stones. I also frequently have prongs, etc., checked at the jeweler to ensure everything is snug as a bug in a.....prong:bigsmile:

Deep breath, Naty, take some time to clear your head of negative thoughts, blame, frustration and then reevaluate your stuff. Perhaps you'll want to reset some pieces into metals or styles that can withstand a bit of abuse rather than sell everything or go blingless (heaven forbid).

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, sorry to hear about your troubles, we are all sparkly lovers here and understand your woes so no judgement.

I believe you might be a bit hard on the jewellery you wear on your hands. It's a thing apparently, some people bang their hands on things more often, I know I do.
Take it off when you do chores, it's the only way to protect it.

Don't beat yourself up, maybe look for a way to redesign your rings in a more protective setting, like a bezel, something with a low profile or turn them into pendants worst case scenario. Selling them seems such a harsh thing to do.

Thank you for those thoughts @Gloria27. Indeed I am considering either resetting my three-stone ER or have another one made for everyday wear. DH already suggested that it would be best if I kept my three-stone ring and the diamond eternity band for more special occasions and I used my plain white gold band and a bezel diamond ring as my everyday set. My concern is that if I go down that route, I might spend more money and then end up disliking the more simple bezel ring, after having worn my more flashy and elaborate ER for so many years.
And yes, you are right, I do realize now that selling all those rings would be a terrible mistake. Thank you so much for the support and for your input!

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
I understand the feeling and wish you great comfort to get you through this. When I have this feeling from time to time (frustration, anxiety re: my diamonds) I choose to clean them as if they were departing me, and put them away safely for as long as it takes for me to remember them and miss them. Sometimes that is quite a while! When I seek them out again and open the boxes, it's like acquiring them for the first time, all over again. The ones that still thrill me, I put back on, as if they were my favourite jeans.

One option would be a beautiful long pendant necklace with a clip, so that you could pop your rings onto it during busy times.

Wishing you all the best!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hugs to you, lovely lady. Our jewellery is precious for many different reasons & it’s gut wrenching when something gets damaged. I chipped a diamond in my first engagement ring & then completely lost my pear from it’s first setting. And weirdly, like you, it was my eldest sister who phoned & told me to try the back of the car. I had dropped my 2 daughters to Nursery that morning & noticed the pear was gone just after. Low & behold, there is was sparkling amongst their teddies on the centre of the back seat.

Please don’t do anything rash. Your jewellery means a lot to you & for now, I would let your friend fix up your eternity & leave the rest alone. Resetting is always an option down the line.

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So sorry to hear about all these accidents. I can empathize because I have lost or broken things too. I think @Gloria27 has given good suggestions. Maybe if you are really moving away from rings, some of them could be re-designed as pendants (usually less prone to breakage)?

Thank you for this idea @Crimson. I love pendants and maybe resetting some of my diamonds into pendants would allow me to both wear & enjoy them and keep them safe. Only problem is, I won't be able to admire them as much as I do now that I'm wearing them on my hands!

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sending you big big hugs!!

Don’t be so hard on yourself - it is like a car, if you use it every day it will need some maintenance, and it does no good to you if you keep it safe in the garage.

These hugs are very much needed my dear @diamondyes !!!
Believe it or not, this is exactly what my jeweler said when I went to see him today! Trouble is, in my case, "I have an accident almost every time I take the car out of the garage for a ride"!!!!

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Natylad, I am so sorry to hear of these recent mishaps. Careful as we try to be, sometimes things happen. I wouldn’t decide right now to sell the jewelry as you are upset and may see it differently in a bit. You are such a sweet, gentle soul and I hate that this happened! However, as others said, don’t be too hard on yourself. It could happen to any of us. Let us know what the jeweler says about your band. Hopefully, it can be repaired and all will be well. If you need to put your jewelry away for a bit until you feel more confident, then do it. Not forever though as these pieces are made to be worn and enjoyed. There is risk in almost everything we do and I am certain, that in time, you will get feel better about wearing your beautiful jewelry again. Hugs to you and best of luck with the repair!

Thank you so much for the support @MissGotRocks ! Thankfully, my jeweler said that he will replace the damaged diamonds and will repair the setting and he promised that after he's done, I won't be able to tell that anything bad ever happened to the ring! I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
I also like your idea of putting the rings away for a while. It seems like the wise thing to do, because right now I'm overwhelmed and I might take a decision that I will regret afterwards.
Last night, when the incident took place, I felt that selling everything would liberate me from all the negative feelings. I do realize now that I was mistaken and if I part from my rings I might be very very dad afterwards.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much for the support @MissGotRocks ! Thankfully, my jeweler said that he will replace the damaged diamonds and will repair the setting and he promised that after he's done, I won't be able to tell that anything bad ever happened to the ring! I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
I also like your idea of putting the rings away for a while. It seems like the wise thing to do, because right now I'm overwhelmed and I might take a decision that I will regret afterwards.
Last night, when the incident took place, I felt that selling everything would liberate me from all the negative feelings. I do realize now that I was mistaken and if I part from my rings I might be very very dad afterwards.

That is wonderful news! So glad that he will be able to repair this special ring for you. I think it is just that you have had a couple of mishaps happen sort of back to back that has made you question even keeping the rings. Once the repair is done, I think you will be happy and able to enjoy them again. I am so happy for you!!

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so sorry to hear about your troubles, @Natylad! Some great suggestions here already—I hope one of them suits you. Best of luck with your jeweller friend, and I hope you find the confidence again to wear your beautiful sparkles! We are here for you!

I appreciate so much the positive energy @margauxmines !!! It's so nice to share my thoughts and feelings with my PS friends, who always understand and are empathetic.
Today, when I was at my jeweler's, I was walking up and down the store while he was louping the ring, so eventually he turned to me and said: "You do realize that these reactions are not normal? Can't you sit down and relax? It's not as if a person was injured"!!!! I thought to myself: Even my jeweler doesn't understand me ! Only my PS friends!!!!

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Natylad I’m so sorry you’re so upset. It was
accident. I’ve had accidents happen like that to me. I now take my rings off when I do cooking or washing dishes. I put them on a shelf in the kitchen. When I’m done I slip them back on. Hopefully your jeweler friend can repair your ring. They will definitely be able to replace the diamonds. Try not to beat yourself up about it. A bezel would be more protective..but diamonds can even be shattered in a bezel setting. Please don’t sell your jewelry. I know how upset you are because I recently lost my favorite diamond band. I tortured myself..calling myself names, etc..It wasn’t healthy..Logically I knew it was an accident..so I’m working on forgiving myself. I’ve made new habits to try to prevent it from happening again. Try to make a new habit of taking them off when you are cooking, etc. Big hugs!

Dear @MamaBee, I hear you. I need to forgive myself. Nevertheless, it's so hard, because I keep doing the wrong thing. I often hit my rings, lose stones, take rings and earrings off and then forget where I've left them, etc. I don't know how this is possible, considering the fact that I am an extremely well organized and tidy person and I really value my belongings. I really need to be more aware of what I'm doing with my jewelry....
On another note, I'm very sorry that you lost your favourite band @MamaBee. I really hope that it will resurface in a magic way!!! Hugs!

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so sorry this happened to you. The others have given you great advice, so I'll just send hugs and positive vibes. This too shall pass.❤

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a terrible track record of losing an earring. For years I wore costume because of this. Now I m back wearing the real deal, but have bought safety backs For my studs. I also use tiny silicon tube-shaped backs for hooks or hoops.

I keep ring holders by every sink at home, and take my rings off when I do chores or cook. It is upsetting to damage the stones or loose them. I tell myself that with the precious metals in non-costume jewelry, it can be repaired. That is one reason it is valued.

There is a reason jewels recommend prong checks. It’s important for daily wear rings.

Most of all, give yourself forgiveness! Let your jewelry spark joy. If it is too stressful at the moment, put it up. But I think the pain will diminish and one day the joy will return.

Sending you a virtual hug. 17E2D1B1-B33D-49F1-8F9B-14FC4E9080C0.png

Thank you for these thoughts @Mrsz1ppy. I think that I will adopt your idea of keeping ring holders by the sinks. I will also clean all of the rings and put them away for a while, until I calm down and think calmly about what I want to do with them. I don't want to rush in selling or resetting anything and then risk regretting it.
Thank you again for the much needed support!

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm a klutz and I love delicate or complex, or other weird settings that don't long survive my klutziness. I've had to reset older pieces into settings that better protect the stones and new custom work is always crafted to protect the stones. I also frequently have prongs, etc., checked at the jeweler to ensure everything is snug as a bug in a.....prong:bigsmile:

Deep breath, Naty, take some time to clear your head of negative thoughts, blame, frustration and then reevaluate your stuff. Perhaps you'll want to reset some pieces into metals or styles that can withstand a bit of abuse rather than sell everything or go blingless (heaven forbid).

Heaven forbid @Matata !!!!
I told DH yesterday that I was considering selling the rings and his reaction was: Hmm....if you sell them, we will lose a fortune on the money that we spent buying them and after a while you will start nagging that you can't live without bling and you will go out there and shop for rings again. That's a double loss!!!

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I understand the feeling and wish you great comfort to get you through this. When I have this feeling from time to time (frustration, anxiety re: my diamonds) I choose to clean them as if they were departing me, and put them away safely for as long as it takes for me to remember them and miss them. Sometimes that is quite a while! When I seek them out again and open the boxes, it's like acquiring them for the first time, all over again. The ones that still thrill me, I put back on, as if they were my favourite jeans.

One option would be a beautiful long pendant necklace with a clip, so that you could pop your rings onto it during busy times.

Wishing you all the best!

Omg! @PreRaphaelite ! The long pendant idea is amazing!!! Can I find online any photos of such a pendant?

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hugs to you, lovely lady. Our jewellery is precious for many different reasons & it’s gut wrenching when something gets damaged. I chipped a diamond in my first engagement ring & then completely lost my pear from it’s first setting. And weirdly, like you, it was my eldest sister who phoned & told me to try the back of the car. I had dropped my 2 daughters to Nursery that morning & noticed the pear was gone just after. Low & behold, there is was sparkling amongst their teddies on the centre of the back seat.

Please don’t do anything rash. Your jewellery means a lot to you & for now, I would let your friend fix up your eternity & leave the rest alone. Resetting is always an option down the line.

Excellent ideas my dear @Ally T ! Thank you for also sharing your experience with the loss of your pear. My God, your heart must have been crushed when you realized that it had fallen off of its setting! Thank God for our dear sisters who saved the day!!! Many hugs!

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Before you put all your jewels away, why not take them to your jeweler friend and have everything checked out to make sure they are secure, and get them cleaned while there. Then put them away so that when you decide to wear them again, they will be all clean and sparkly and you will also know that everything has been checked for security. That might give you a little peace of mind.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
(sigh...very sad...)

Same thing happened to me. I have a channel north south set baguette diamond and plat eternity ring. Wrecked it getting hubby’s slab of beer out of a store cooler. The channel was pried open, lost a couple of baguettes and cracked a few more. Repair was never perfect as baguette alignment was off in the damaged area. Then, fast forward, I gained weight, had to get it sized ( I know impossible for full eternity) and new jeweler put in a slab of plat to extend and a diamond or two were chipped and one replaced with a grey baguette. So dissappointed that I never wear it!

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Same thing happened to me. I have a channel north south set baguette diamond and plat eternity ring. Wrecked it getting hubby’s slab of beer out of a store cooler. The channel was pried open, lost a couple of baguettes and cracked a few more. Repair was never perfect as baguette alignment was off in the damaged area. Then, fast forward, I gained weight, had to get it sized ( I know impossible for full eternity) and new jeweler put in a slab of plat to extend and a diamond or two were chipped and one replaced with a grey baguette. So dissappointed that I never wear it!

I'm so sorry @lambskin. How unfortunate. You have every reason to be upset and frustrated. Based on the things that I read, I think that if I were you, I would use the remaining diamonds and gold towards a brand new ring that I'd have custom made. I was even considering this plan for my ring until my jeweler said that he was certain that he could save it and fix it perfectly.
You could also have a whole different piece made, like a cluster pendant!
I wish for a positive outcome on your own ring problem! ❤️

PhilosopherStone

Rough_Rock
I'm so sorry to hear about that. Hope everything goes well with the repairs and that all diamonds are secured going forward. Please let us know how you go with the alternative arrangements you may be considering. All the best!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results