shape
carat
color
clarity

I'm considering gastric sleeve surgery - who has had it done?

Mekp

Shiny_Rock
In the past 3 years I have gone from being at the high end of the "healthy" BMI range (BMI of 25) to being decidedly obese (BMI of 38). I'm beyond fed up. I just don't feel like me anymore, but I can't seem to lose any weight despite remaining moderately active and eating reasonably. I've tried diets, I've tried increasing my exercise routine, all with very minimal results.
So, I am considering gastric sleeve surgery. I have a consult at a clinic today.
Who has had this done? Any experiences would be helpful.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In the past 3 years I have gone from being at the high end of the "healthy" BMI range (BMI of 25) to being decidedly obese (BMI of 38). I'm beyond fed up. I just don't feel like me anymore, but I can't seem to lose any weight despite remaining moderately active and eating reasonably. I've tried diets, I've tried increasing my exercise routine, all with very minimal results.
So, I am considering gastric sleeve surgery. I have a consult at a clinic today.
Who has had this done? Any experiences would be helpful.

Here you go @Mekp good luck!

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Get ready for a long spiel..

Frankly I think you're jumping the gun. Yes, you're overweight, but not by 100 lbs. The surgery makes you eat less, why not just eat less? Much, much less. Deal with the hunger. If you go to bed truly hungry for one week, you will lose weight. And you will adjust mentally and physically to eating less. But you have to shock your system.

I know of people who became bulimic after the surgery and that was hell on their teeth. I know of people who managed to stretch out their remaining stomach and gain weight back. It is NOT a cure all, plus you may need b12 injections due to loss of parietal cells.

My daughter insisted that she couldn't lose weight and started making noises about surgery. I had never said anything about her weight until that point. I shut t down all talk about gastric surgery and got real with her. She got deadly serious about counting her calories and food portions. And she's lost a ton of weight and looks fabulous. She's not hungry now, she's learned to manage food cravings and realize what they are.

Exercising will not do a thing to make you lose weight. It is all about what you put in your mouth. Have you consulted a nutritionist? I'd go that route before surgery.

Please dont do this without exhausting every other option you have. No surgery is without risk,risk, and short term.. However it is your body, your choice.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope you got on ok at the clinic @Mekp and had all the risks and benefits explained. Best wishes!

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My BMI was 43 and I had enough so I went on a diet and I had lost 105 lbs (gained 5 pounds back thanks to covid and stress) I did this by cutting back and I am talking darn near starving...I have a low thyroid so for me it was a very difficult slow process it took me over 3 years to lose it all and it is a real pain to maintain..anyway I am only 4'10 1/2" tall so I dont need many calories...I ate less than 800 calories in a day, some days more others much less, I drink ALOT of water and I walk, I have arthritis in my back so some exercises are out for me and walking seems to not bother it too much, when I first started I could only go to the end of my street but I kept at it...I now walk 1 hour and 15 minutes a night and per my apple watch that is about 3.5 miles for me, I walk this 5 days a week either outside or on my treadmill...so far its working for me, I want to lose this 5 pounds I gained and for some reason I am struggling to lose it..I gain a few and lose a few and do this back and forth...sigh...anyway if you choose surgery good luck, my neighbor had the surgery and she looks great, she was pretty overweight like probably at least 150 pounds overweight she seem to lose weight pretty quickly and she is older probably around 70.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just throwing it in, as someone who's done it. I was over 300lbs, that's why I did it. I still have a BMI of about 32, it's where my body has settled for now over 3 years after surgery (and another baby). Thankfully insurance companies make you go through a pretty arduous process to prove you really need it and have failed at other methods of losing weight. The lowest I have ever seen that they'll do it is a BMI of 35 WITH weight related comorbidities.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results