shape
carat
color
clarity

I''m about to buy a diamond good or bad deal?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

leza

Rough_Rock
IGI Cert., Round, good cut, ,color F, Clarity SI1, .46 Carat, Their retail$2445, Sale price $1499.
I looked at under Gemscope and thought it was better than SI1. What do you think , is this a good deal?

DiamondOptics

Shiny_Rock
Hi Leza,

Have you done a pricescope comparison to see if this price is similar to other comparible diamonds of the same size, color and clarity?

Kirk

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Can you post some more informations? Table, depth, girdle, culet, etc?

Lugus

Shiny_Rock
Two things worried me about your post. The first was the phrase "good cut". Did the sales guy say it was a good cut, or are you deciding this for yourself based on a sarin report? Post the specs and we can help you decide if the cut is "good".

The second thing that worried me was "Sale price". Diamonds don't really go on sale and the price you're paying could be a bit high. I did a quick search and found that you could get a .5 ct stone F, VS2 with a great cut, excellent symetry/polish and no florescence for the same price.

leza

Rough_Rock
unfortunatly i don't have any measurments, this is also my first time on this site. I didn't get a copy of the cert. but is something I can get in the next couple of days. I was told that it was very proportioned but not consided ideal. This is my first diamond.

trichrome

Shiny_Rock
That retail price is bul!"!$!"%?

For that price I can get a stone 2 times this size, VS clarity!
Pass on that stone and on the jeweller too.

Trichrome.

Lugus

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 2/24/2003 2:25:46 PM trichrome wrote:

Trichrome.----------------

Remember Trichrome, he's paying the "Sale Price", which is significantly better. See my comment on sale price.
1.gif

Leza, welcome to the forums. How do you feel about purchasing online? I know you can get a much better stone for $1500. Either way, we're happy to help you make an informed purchase.

mattinSD

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 2/24/2003 2:25:46 PM trichrome wrote:

Trichrome.
----------------

If you really can buy a .92, F, VS stone for the retail price of $2445, I suggest you get in the diamond business! That's only $2658 / carat!

It's one thing to let people know that there are better deals out there, but if we exaggerate too much, people will get the wrong impression and never be happy / confident with their purchases...

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 2/24/2003 1:33
6.gif
3 PM leza wrote:
IGI Cert., Round, good cut, ,color F, Clarity SI1, .46 Carat, Their retail$2445, Sale price $1499.
I looked at under Gemscope and thought it was better than SI1. What do you think , is this a good deal?----------------
Welcome, Leza:

Two cautionary pieces of advice: IGI is notoriously lenient in their grading, so their F/ SI1 may end up truly being an H/I stone and maybe SI2 or I1 clarity. You may get more reliable cert information by sticking with stones graded by reputable labs such as AGS or GIA.

Second....it sounds like your stone is at a mall store location because most diamonds don't go "on sale" to that degree. Their "retail" price is likely the appraisal price, which no one EVER pays for a diamond.

In order to determine the quality of the cut, you'd need the crown/pavilion angles at minimum. Just because they say it's a good cut doesn't mean anything.....good to me might not be good to you, and good is veeery subjective.

You may want to consider some of the diamonds you can find in a search here....they show diamonds from many reputable online vendors who can give you more specific information and help you in your purchase.

Good luck!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Everyone has been very kind in their responses to you. So I'll be pretty blunt when I say...RUN...do not walk...away from this stone and vendor. Why? Because they are selling you a lie!

First off...I second the 'sale' price thing..there is no such as thing as a diamond on sale. A diamond costs X amount and vendors are sometimes willing to negotiate it a bit but it does not go 50% off, it's not a dress that loses favor from season to season. If there is a sale price, it means the original retail price is marked up beyond belief and they are just trying to tempt you by the thought of 'saving' money..when really you can go to any reputable place and get that same stone for LESS than their sale price.

How do I know this? Well I ran a quick Pricescope search, searching only for top-quality, EXCELLENT cut stones...with HCA scores of under 2.0 (less than 5% of the stones out there have this rating), AGS0 (ideal cut, ideal symmetry, ideal polish), Hearts and Arrows stones and guess what I found? I found SEVEN (that's 7) stones that were F/G color, VS2/SI1 clarity and .46-.51c which were all priced under the 'sale' price of your stone for $1450. A well-cut 'G' color stone will not exhibit any color face up and will probably look just like an 'F' but for a little less $$.

Want to see them? Go to
www.whiteflash.com and search using the 'A Cut Above' stones and put in your parameters. While you are there, read a little about the ACA stones and email Leslie at Whiteflash (who watches this forum as well!) for some help. I am sure she will jump at the opportunity to assist you in NOT buying that horrible mall-jewelry store stone you are considering.

Just to tempt you, here is a detail url of a .468c F SI1 excellent cut ACA H&A AGS0 stone for $1100. Wait..is that $300 less than the 'sale' price of the same color, same clarity, 'good' cut stone you are considering? Why yes, it is!

The picture is temporary sample image, but that is what most of the ACA stones pictures look like that are SI1 or better with no eye-visible inclusion. Ask Leslie for real pictures of the stones, the Hearts and Arrows images (your 'good' cut mall store stone will not have these) and IdealScope images (again, this mall stone will not have this). You will not even be sorry you didn't buy that original stone, but will probably walk in the store just to flaunt your new awesome stone (which some people have admitted to doing after they buy online and then go back and pummel the original mall jeweler).

http://www.whiteflash.com/acut/diamond_details.asp?ItemCode=2510

You came to this site for a reason, to learn more and find out if you are getting a good deal. I'm telling you...you are not getting a good deal, and please don't fall for the mall tactics...buy educated and informed, here is a great place to start.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

2.gif

trichrome

Shiny_Rock
Matt.

You're not far from the truth
1.gif

An 80 pointer, H, VS2 in the trade would cost that price (if not less).

Trichrome.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results