shape
carat
color
clarity

IGI reports for colored gems

Discussion in 'Colored Gemstones' started by Katya DXB, Feb 12, 2019 at 4:48 AM.

1. Katya DXB
    Shiny_Rock

by Katya DXB » Feb 12, 2019 at 4:48 AM
    Hi All!
    I was wondering if IGI has a better reputation with their gemstones grading than it does with diamonds? Would you feel safe buying a sapphire with an IGI gem report?
    Thanks in advance =)2

2. Anne111
    Shiny_Rock

by Anne111 » Feb 12, 2019 at 10:31 AM
    Have not heard any complains for the European branch in Antwerp. Many sellers in EU use them.

Katya DXB likes this.
  3. chrono
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by chrono » Feb 12, 2019 at 12:02 PM
    I still go for other labs when it comes to sapphires.

Katya DXB likes this.
  4. Katya DXB
    Shiny_Rock

by Katya DXB » Feb 12, 2019 at 1:55 PM
    Thank you. May I ask why? Is there a particular element that you see being graded inconsistently?

5. chrono
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by chrono » Feb 12, 2019 at 2:14 PM
    I’m not sure how experienced they are, not what lab equipment they have for checking highly and commonly treated CS such as sapphire. I still feel more assurance with AGL, GIA, SSEF, and Gubelin.

Katya DXB and voce like this.
  6. Nosean
    Shiny_Rock

by Nosean » Feb 12, 2019 at 4:17 PM
    Lotus is an excellent choice too.

An Alexandrite from „Russia“ with an IGI report I would send to AGL - and quite sure you will be surprised about the result...

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019 at 4:38 PM
    Katya DXB and voce like this.
  7. Katya DXB
    Shiny_Rock

by Katya DXB » Feb 13, 2019 at 9:19 AM
    Thank you all for your replies!

8. Anne111
    Shiny_Rock

by Anne111 » Feb 14, 2019 at 6:35 AM
    Always the problem for us 3rd-world Europeans: all those labs are outside EU, so to get gems tested in the US or CH, you need either go through the hassle of declaring all goods over 25euros leaving the Union and then pay 25%VAT upon return, perhaps for the 2nd time. The only alternative to IGI in Antwerp is DSEF in Germany, AIG in Antwerp.
    I know Antwerp used to be more about diamonds but with the old monopolies broken, it makes sense for IGI etc. to move into the CS business. They would be pretty stupid to ruin their future market by faking origins especially since it does not give them any advantage whatsoever. If I would be working at IGI, being the biggest gem lab in the world, I'd be rather p.... about generalized 'all cheaters' pronouncements without any proof. Similar to the discussion we had about 'all Thai labs being suspicious'.
    That said, the very most expensive rubies and others are coming with two lab reports, simply because one can err, but with two labs it get's less likely.

voce and Katya DXB like this.
  9. Katya DXB
    Shiny_Rock

by Katya DXB » Feb 14, 2019 at 7:13 AM
    @Anne111
    I wouldn’t think there’d be any intentional cheating, of course not. But when it comes to diamonds, I personally own two stones which were both graded by IGI and GIA, and IGI gave both one color grade higher. So I was wondering if they are softer when it comes to CS, too. I haven’t really thought about origin though, just the stone quality. Is it the origin that one needs to be particularly careful about?
    I’m with you on the labs. I live in Dubai, and it takes 6-8 weeks to get a stone certified by GIA because they have to send it all the way to the US. They haven’t heard here of any of the labs other posters mentioned above. Beats me why, there is such a big market in the Middle East I’d imagine it would make a lot of sense for labs to be present here.

10. chrono
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by chrono » Feb 14, 2019 at 9:25 AM
    @Anne111
    There are several SSEF and Gubelin locations in the EU.

11. Nosean
    Shiny_Rock

by Nosean » Feb 15, 2019 at 4:39 AM
    HRD in Belgium ( for Diamonds) too.

12. IcePhoenix
    Rough_Rock

by IcePhoenix » Feb 15, 2019 at 5:07 PM
    Hello, I can't help but ask myself: is it possible that I have a piece of glass or something else instead of an alexandrite certified by IGI India? I bought it from Catawiki, I have no indication of origin, a small stone (0.59 carats) which is green in natural light and purplish red under incandescent light