shape
carat
color
clarity

IGI Graded Diamond-Was this a mistake?

jetrex13

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone. I am new to this forum and definitely a diamond rookie, but I was hoping you could help set my mind at ease or let me know if I should cancel my order. I just finalized my purchase with James Allen yesterday, but after researching the IGI vs GIA debate, I think I might have made a mistake. What do you think of this diamond from James Allen? It scored well on the HCA. The price was $ 3880. Do you think I got ripped off? Thanks!

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.03-carat-j-color-vvs1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-2143851

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
jetrex13|1478523633|4094758 said:
Hello everyone. I am new to this forum, but was hoping you could help me. I just finalized my purchase with James Allen yesterday, but after researching the IGI vs GIA debate, I think I might have made a mistake. What do you think of this diamond from James Allen? It scored well on the HCA. The price was $ 3880. Do you think I got ripped off? Thanks!

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.03-carat-j-color-vvs1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-2143851

Did you get ripped off...I think no because you paid a lot lower for it than you would have paid for a true GIA J colored stone.

Are you going to get what you think you're getting with respect to a J colored stone...possibly not by GIA/AGS standards.

I guess when you get it you can decide whether the color works for you or not. Send it back if it doesnt work.

ChristineRose

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
EGL is rigged to deceive the consumer. IGI is not. But they grade large batches of stones and sometimes get sloppy. You can get a appraiser's opinion of the clarity and color if you're worried.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's probably K or L judging from the video and price. I'd cancel and get a GIA J as that's the lowest I'd go for color in a modern round brilliant. The exception might be if the diamond is going to be set in yellow gold as the tint might not be as obvious.

ElizabethR

Shiny_Rock
Your diamond looks beautiful. I have an IGI certed .75 ct round diamond set in a cathedral platinum e ring. I get compliments on it ALL the time. It is a stunner. So, I'd say, no worries on the IGI cert. I'd buy an IGI again.

All the best

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I cannot comment on the specific stone as it would be against the forum rules, but if you're asking whether or not to accept an IGI graded diamond, only you can decide. Many times IGI's grading will match exactly with GIA's, and the industry standard variance is +/- one grade of color and clarity as all grading systems are subjective in nature.

There was an interesting thread on this not too long ago here:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/need-advice-igi-rating-james-allen.226303/#p4089802

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Color and clarity grades have a huge effect on price.
To the untrained eye, a D IF and a G SI1 may look identical, even though the D IF is over twice the price.
That's why grades must be judged by trained pros in tightly-controlled lab environments/lighting.
Being sure the grades are accurate is the ONLY way to know if the price makes sense.
Unfortunately, labs vary.
It is astonishing but some labs lie and get away with it since sellers comply and make money off the deception.
Unlike measuring weight it's easy to get away with grading color and clarity incorrectly.

When deciding if you're overpaying, because of 'soft' grades from 'soft' labs, how many compliments you get is irrelevant.
How it looks online is irrelevant to whether you're overpaying.
How pretty it looks in person is irrelevant to whether you're overpaying.
How it makes you feel is irrelevant to whether you're overpaying.

I worked too hard for my money.
I expect to get exactly what I pay for.
I don't want to get a Toyota with a Lexus badge on the trunk.
That's why, when it comes to gem lab grading, I do not trust 'soft' labs.

GIA and AGS are the only US labs I trust to issue grades believale enough for me to pull out my credit card.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
kenny|1479156862|4098394 said:
Color and clarity grades have a huge effect on price.
To the untrained eye, a D IF and a G SI1 may look identical, even though the D IF is over twice the price.
That's why grades must be judged by trained pros in tightly-controlled lab environments/lighting.
Being sure the grades are accurate is the ONLY way to know if the price makes sense.
Unfortunately, labs vary.
It is astonishing but some labs lie and get away with it since sellers comply and make money off the deception.
Unlike measuring weight it's easy to get away with grading color and clarity incorrectly.

When deciding if you're overpaying, because of 'soft' grades from 'soft' labs, how many compliments you get is irrelevant.
How it looks online is irrelevant to whether you're overpaying.
How pretty it looks in person is irrelevant to whether you're overpaying.
How it makes you feel is irrelevant to whether you're overpaying.

I worked too hard for my money.
I expect to get exactly what I pay for.
I don't want to get a Toyota with a Lexus badge on the trunk.
That's why, when it comes to gem lab grading, I do not trust 'soft' labs.

GIA and AGS are the only US labs I trust to issue grades believale enough for me to pull out my credit card.
This.
Yes.

I am not speaking specifically of a stone being offered by a vendor, my comments are general. For my money, I won't take a chance either. While it's true that IGI is likely one of the best non GIA/AGSL labs, I understand immediately that a cutter offering me IGI graded stones is trying to hide something. So if I'm interested in one, I'll downgrade my offer and figure the price at least two grades color/clarity.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This stone has a Pavillion angle was 40.5 on IGI report. Depending on the actual angles (eg. 40.48), this stone may not qualify for GIA Ex. This may explain why the stone was sent to IGI instead of GIA.

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
flyingpig|1479196869|4098711 said:
This stone has a Pavillion angle was 40.5 on IGI report. Depending on the actual angles (eg. 40.48), this stone may not qualify for GIA Ex. This may explain why the stone was sent to IGI instead of GIA.
The pig is wise.

I'd add original target market: Graded in Mumbai - Indian/Chinese buyers like IGI.
Also turnaround time: Graded Oct 13 - GIA may have held it longer into Oct-Nov prime season.

scott8385

Rough_Rock
You guys are great detectives. Very fascinating read for an inexperienced reader like myself! :read:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results