shape
carat
color
clarity

If your e-ring is 2+ carats, do you wear it on vacation?

Clio_C

Rough_Rock
I just upgraded my diamond for our upcoming 15th wedding anniversary! (Yay us) My prior stone was 1.25 carat round; a nice size, but it didn't attract attention. My new stone is a 3 carat old mine brilliant, which, while not gigantic by PS standards, is a good size in the non-PS world.

We're going on a family cruise to the Caribbean in about a month. I've visited the Caribbean many times, and I know that *most* islands are safe enough in tourist areas during the day. For example, I wouldn't hesitate to walk around Aruba, St. John or even St. Thomas in well-traveled areas wearing this ring. However, some islands like St. Lucia (one of the ports) has had hold-up robberies of tour groups, etc.

Ladies, would you wear a 3 carat e-ring on your cruise? And if you did, when you wanted to leave it on-ship, would you leave it in your room safe (I know there are crew who can override your code) or the ship's safe?

Ring is insured. I know it's always safer to leave $$$ jewelry at home, but I have this ring because I want to wear it and enjoy it. I would have worn my prior e-ring on this cruise without a second thought.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good question! I've thought about getting a large antique cushion cut ENV Moissy for just such instances.....

jaaron

Brilliant_Rock
I do.

My original e-ring is a large Tiffany Legacy, and when I travelled to some out of the way places for work, I worried both about having it stolen and, because of what I did, it being a bit inappropriate to be flashing a big, valuable diamond around, so I used to wear a much smaller, simpler CZ ring that I had Wink make.

Now that my original lives in the safe and my daily wear is a 2.25 OEC in an Emilya, I do wear it when I travel. It makes me happy, it's insured, life is short. I honestly think if I was robbed at gunpoint, my ring would be the least of my fears.

Have a great trip!

Scandinavian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I always wear mine. Don't really think about it any more, it is always on my hand, even when skiing. Had to buy new gloves though, to make room for it :lol:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Last summer wife and I wore our jewelry riding on the NYC subways day and night.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1488483566|4135642 said:
Last summer wife and I wore our jewelry riding on the NYC subways day and night.

Yeah, I kept following you two around ... but I never caught you alone. :Up_to_something: :whistle:

:lol:

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It depends on the vacation. I don't take any jewellery with me on beach vacations. I like wearing my things (not leaving them in the safe, which are wholly UNsafe at most places), but I'm not going to wear anything in the pool or in the ocean, and running to the room to put it in the safe is not something I enjoy. So I just leave everything at home. If it's a more sight seeing vacation, I'll wear whatever I feel like.

Elizabeth35

Brilliant_Rock
Have not been on a cruise so I cannot vouch for safety of the safe in your cabin.
We travel 6-8 times per year from US to Caribbean, Mexico and Europe. I usually wear my 2 carat engagement ring and take inexpensive pearl necklaces. I also take sterling earrings and necklaces. I leave my 5 stone right hand ring at home--too flashy.
I leave my irreplaceable diamond pendant at home (Moms engagement diamond). I also leave my every day platinum/diamond ear wires with Pearl drops at home. Don't want to wear in ocean or pools.
This is ppartly because I don't want to attract attention, partly because I don't want to lose them and, in many cases, I think it is insensitive to wear expensive jewelry in front of third world people who are struggling to make enough to eat.
For the most part--my jewelry is for wearing at home--not on vacation.
Most people I know feel the same. They wear only wedding bands on vacation.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

While on a family vacation, the last thing you want to be focused on is protecting your jewellery. Hence, if you are the least bit worried about your ring--don't take it. FWIW--I didn't take my former large diamond ER while travelling overland in Europe because of all the travelling we did and I didn't want to have to account for "one more" thing, but otherwise but it usually went everywhere else with me.

cheers--Sharon

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't bring jewelry with me on vacation. The in room safe has a default access code of 000000, plus I worry about the attraction the bling may give to a thief. I have a platinum band I wear for my wedding ring and I wear one pair of nondescript stud earrings. Its no fun but oh well...

I take safety and security seriously when I travel.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
St Thomas is the number 1 most violent island in the caribbean by the way (well, I read that yesterday). I also agree about the poverty issue. In Roatan, we saw such unimaginable poverty, I have even reconsidered my leather travel shopper bag that I have brought everywhere with me. I mean, when a 2 year old is up on a hill selling cashews for his family, well.... it makes you realize how everything makes us look like rich americans... the way we dress, the stuff we have, the jewelry... its part of what causes resentment (like in the Bahamas) of the local people to the tourists.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No. I only wear small diamonds when I travel. I'm very safety conscious and no piece of jewelry is worth getting hurt over.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I did not. Not even on my honeymoon.

DAF

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My e-ring center diamond is 2.21 cts and the band has another two carats in it. I do wear it everywhere, although I have "turned it around" so that the back of the band (which is plain) shows. It's insured, it gives me joy as well.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Calliecake|1488499412|4135768 said:
... no piece of jewelry is worth getting hurt over.

Thank you.
Insurance companies would have you believe that the peace of mind insurance buys you is comprehensive.

Your heirs getting a check to replace your bling isn't the same as you being brought back to life after being murdered FOR your bling. :knockout:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Items get lost and damaged. There doesn't have to be anything malicious involved.

cheers--Sharon

MJ_Mac

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
A friend of our lives in Chile. He tells people who visit South America to leave their jewellery at home. He said a modest sized diamond ring would feed a poverty stricken family for a year. He said it has been known for people to have their fingers chopped off in order for the thieves to get the ring.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Odds are, overwhelmingly, you will not be the victim of crime.

Feeling lucky? :Up_to_something:

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is 2 carats the line at which thieves determine they want your ring?

Super curious.

I never travel with anything I care about losing. That's just a rule I live by, and it's served me well. Lots of things are replaceable. If something can't be replaced with money, don't bring it with you.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes I wear my ER when we go away. When we went to Italy for 3 weeks I wore it with no worries. It is insured and it is for me to enjoy and wear. And I live in NYC and wear it on the subway every single day. I just turn it around or I wear my gloves if the weather is cold enough. I enjoy my jewelry and that includes my ER. If I am only going to wear it when it is completely 100% safe I would only wear it in my house LOL. And that is the one place I don't wear it because when I am home I just take everything (jewelry!) off. :lol:

Clio_C

Rough_Rock
monarch64|1488510990|4135817 said:
Is 2 carats the line at which thieves determine they want your ring?

Super curious.

I never travel with anything I care about losing. That's just a rule I live by, and it's served me well. Lots of things are replaceable. If something can't be replaced with money, don't bring it with you.

Ha! No, and I thought about that before I wrote this post. The reason I qualified it at 2 carats + is because that's when *I* generally start to notice someone's diamond as "wow, that's really big." It's subjective, of course, and I'm not saying that if you're ring is 1 carat, 1.5, 1.75, 1.99 it is small (because it is NOT) but in the past I never hesitated wearing my 1.25 carat anywhere. If I felt uncomfortable, I turned it around, but even that was very rare. I figure lots of American tourists who can afford to travel on cruises probably have diamonds in the .75-1.5 range, so it wouldn't make you more of a target than anyone else. So maybe I should have asked "Do you wear your E-ring on vacation?". See? I'm learning ;-)

I will probably leave it at home just because I don't want to be worried about it in the (un)safe when I'm out in ports.

Oh, and regarding St. Thomas, yes it has a high per capita crime rate. I've been to the USVI many, many times (mostly St. John) and most of that crime involves locals who are involved in unsavory activities. It surely doesn't make it any better, but it does depend on where you are on the island. For a daytime cruise stop, sticking to well-traveled beaches, etc is overall quite safe (at least from a violent crime standpoint, it's always possible to be victim of theft).

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd be far more concerned about the safety factor than I would be worried about losing a piece of jewelry (but I'd only take insured pieces if they were higher value). Going out of the US, I do not take anything of great value. As others said, I don't want to have to worry about my safety or when and when not to wear it. In some places you have to treat your passport that way, so that's enough to have to keep safe. I'd suggest a simulant ring and earrings if dressing for formal occasions is included in the trip, and that can be left in the safe without too much concern if it goes missing.

In the US, I wear my jewelry everywhere, generally.

Clio_C

Rough_Rock
Poodles4me|1488506321|4135788 said:
A friend of our lives in Chile. He tells people who visit South America to leave their jewellery at home. He said a modest sized diamond ring would feed a poverty stricken family for a year. He said it has been known for people to have their fingers chopped off in order for the thieves to get the ring.

We are very fortunate to have the lives we have and be able to argue about pavilion angles and diamond spread, that's for sure.

A former roommate of mine studied abroad in Quito, Equador for a month in college. She wore a simple, small gold cross necklace. It was tucked in her shirt and a man came up behind her and ripped it off and ran the first day she arrived. If I were traveling to Central/South America (which I have and am very fond of many countries in that part of the world), it wouldn't be a question.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yikes, just saw your response. This is why I'd leave mine at home,for sure, when going to areas with poverty. Simple sterling silver wedding band sounds like the wise choice.

Clio_C

Rough_Rock
Okay folks, I'm leaving it at home! Thanks.

asscher_girl

Brilliant_Rock
DH and I travel to the Caribbean quite a bit and I don't take my e-ring. I don't want to wear it on the beach/swimming/snorkeling and I don't feel comfortable leaving it in the hotel room safe. I do bring/wear my 4 ct eternity ring though (I wear it out to dinners at night but not on the beach), but it's made up of modern round brilliants and can easily be replaced. My antique emerald cut E-ring (2.52 cts) would be much harder to replace.

Also, St. Thomas is not a very safe island, I lived there 12 years ago and it continues to get worse. It's changed so much in the last few years, it's really sad. However, if that's one of your stops, do go to Magen's Bay, it's the best beach on the island, absolutely gorgeous. :sun:

I would say leave it at home so you don't have to worry about it. Wear a simple diamond band/wedding ring instead.

And enjoy your trip!! :bigsmile:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1488554085|4135960 said:

Yikes, just saw your response. This is why I'd leave mine at home,for sure, when going to areas with poverty. Simple sterling silver wedding band sounds like the wise choice.

Yikes is right. :errrr:
I don't think I'd want to travel any place where this is occuring. :o

Have a safe trip!

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
missy|1488545208|4135913 said:
Yes I wear my ER when we go away. When we went to Italy for 3 weeks I wore it with no worries. It is insured and it is for me to enjoy and wear. And I live in NYC and wear it on the subway every single day. I just turn it around or I wear my gloves if the weather is cold enough. I enjoy my jewelry and that includes my ER. If I am only going to wear it when it is completely 100% safe I would only wear it in my house LOL. And that is the one place I don't wear it because when I am home I just take everything (jewelry!) off. :lol:

You can actually get gloves over that honker, Missy? :lol:

OP: I've worn my jewels to Europe, never had any issues but to the Caribbean I left my jewels except for my band stacking set at home.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Resonance.Of.Life|1488556047|4135975 said:
missy|1488545208|4135913 said:

You can actually get gloves over that honker, Missy? :lol:

OP: I've worn my jewels to Europe, never had any issues but to the Caribbean I left my jewels except for a my band stacking set at home.

Lol just barely. :lol:

If you need anyone to keep your jewels safe ROL I'm your gal. :halo:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results