shape
carat
color
clarity

If you were getting a divorce who will get custody of your pets?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:))

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We'd probably have to sell the horses since a divorce would render us unable to afford to care for them when we sell the property. The dogs will want to be with me. The one cat we can catch can go with him. :mrgreen2:

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Me!

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Me ... they were my pre-marital dependents, and they know I am ‘their person’. That said, hubs has really taken to talking to them the same way I do, expecting them to answer when he asks ‘what’d you do?’, and even going so far as to cave in on letting Donut sleep on the sofa at night but first he ‘makes her bed’ each night by putting a blanket down on it for her to sleep on. So, yea ... I think he could try to fight me for puppy custody or at a minimum some visitation. :lol:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
when my group of friends were all turning 21 one friend's mum and dad got divorced
they had the 21st at the family home where the mother lived
when the dad walked in the dog went mental with happiness
divorce is so sad for all the family, pets included

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Right now I would give all of the cats to Greg.
:lol:

I am sort of not kidding.
:whistle:

::)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:shock:

Someone alert admin ... I think Missy’s acct has been hacked!

LOL let me tell you what 4 cases of cat ringworm (and 2 human cases) can do to a person. It will change one's brainwaves I swear. The past couple of months in our cat world have been the most stressful months of my life. And the stress continues. We are plugging along one day at a time one hour at a time and when that is too overwhelming one minute at a time. The cats are stressed to the max and that in turn stresses us. They run from us when we approach now to give them meds. And giving them meds is the most awful experience. They fight and gag and spit and salivate and cry and claw and well you get the picture.

So yes to answer the question @Dancing Fire posed at this moment I would gladly give all the cats to Greg. But ask me in a few months when (g-d willing) they are all better and my answer might be different. :cheeky: Praying we get to that point in time.:pray:

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh dear God @missy that DOES sound miserable! I’m sorry to hear all of that. Just know ‘this too shall pass’ and your loveable furballs will be back to normal ...

Hopefully ... because cats never seem to forget crap like this. :???::lol:

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This one right here ... she’d be the defector and go to ‘the other side’ should we ever divorce! :lol:

She always waits on the stairs half-way landing for her ‘daddy’ to get up in the mornings. She is who he ‘makes the bed’ for at night. And she goes apesh!t when he is out doing yard work. So yea ... she’d be the one to tell a judge “I wanna go live with dad!”.
6B8CE415-A9D9-4630-9365-FF3C7DEA3F6C.jpeg
D4998E89-5CB1-478F-9A25-165A4C4874B7.jpeg

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well I'm going to say that whoever got the house would keep the majority of the pets. I would be happy in an apartment so he can keep the pets minus one cat who only likes me :P2

ETA: I realized afterwards how heartless this sounds to our other pets, we have kids so I know I would see the rest regularly.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My pooch would want to come with me (I would hope/think). He knows who ‘butters his bread.’ Pooch and hubby have a wonderful relationship, but DH often comments that the dog watches. Every. Move. I. Make. :P2

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My pooch would want to come with me (I would hope/think). He knows who ‘butters his bread.’ Pooch and hubby have a wonderful relationship, but DH often comments that the dog watches. Every. Move. I. Make. :P2

Ditto! Hubs always asks Nugget (my other dog) if she can tell what I had for breakfast a week ago, given how far up my backside she is. If I get up from the couch to use the restroom, get a drink, whatever, she is up and following right beside me every single time. She’s part German Shepherd, so I think it’s in her nature to stick close to & ‘protect’ me (as ‘her person’).

bibiloves

Shiny_Rock
This one right here ... she’d be the defector and go to ‘the other side’ should we ever divorce! :lol:

She always waits on the stairs half-way landing for her ‘daddy’ to get up in the mornings. She is who he ‘makes the bed’ for at night. And she goes apesh!t when he is out doing yard work. So yea ... she’d be the one to tell a judge “I wanna go live with dad!”.
6B8CE415-A9D9-4630-9365-FF3C7DEA3F6C.jpeg
D4998E89-5CB1-478F-9A25-165A4C4874B7.jpeg

I love her face expression :love::love:

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The glue that kept our marriage together when we were young and raising our children is that when we ever talked of divorce- he would insist I take the kids and I would insist he take the kids. We would feel the same about our pets. :twisted2:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
A friend of mine is an attorney this was the last divorce case he took as he had to go to therapy afterwards.
Married 10 years with 2 children around 6 and 8 as I recall and 2 dogs.
Neither wanted the kids saying the other can have full custody and they would visit once a month but fought like crazy over the dogs.
Dog-napping and physical fights and cops being called crazy over the dogs and neither wanted the kids.
The grandparents stepped up and took the kids in the end but it took a year and one of the kids had mental health issues over it.

Edit: the judge was so ticked off about it he ordered both parents to pay child support to the grandparents.

Last edited:

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A friend of mine is an attorney this was the last divorce case he took as he had to go to therapy afterwards.
Neither wanted the kids saying the other can have full custody and they would visit once a month but fought like crazy over the dogs.
Dog-napping and physical fights and cops being called crazy over the dogs and neither wanted the kids.
The grandparents stepped up and took the kids in the end but it took a year and one of the kids had mental health issues over it.

OMG that is horrible! I was just kidding about me and DH- we have never even seriously talked about divorce. I feel so bad for the kids in your story.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That’s horrible @Karl_K Those poor kids ... :(2

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
OMG that is horrible! I was just kidding about me and DH- we have never even seriously talked about divorce. I feel so bad for the kids in your story.
I am sorry, I just saw your post after I posted.

Yes. the poor kids went through the ringer. :{

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOL I am the worst parent ever. Just asked Greg this question and he said "I want them". OMG I suck. :oops2:

oliverandgreg.png

Well at least they have one loving parent who doesn't mind getting ringworm. :halo:

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have four- two littles and two bigs. I would take the littles and DH would take the bigs. Of course if one of us couldn't care for the dogs, the other would take all of them.

ETA- there is one little and one big that we both may fight over. But realistically we got the bigs for DH, and we got the littles for me, so...

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
We would have to share custody, our one and only furbaby. Noah loves both of us equally, and literally cuddles with one of us on one end of the sectional for a bit, then comes and cuddles with the other for a while. I wouldn't be able to break his heart, and we would probably go to marital counseling to stay married for Noah!

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
She would definitely stay with me. He would get visitation LOL!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOL let me tell you what 4 cases of cat ringworm (and 2 human cases) can do to a person. It will change one's brainwaves I swear. The past couple of months in our cat world have been the most stressful months of my life. And the stress continues. We are plugging along one day at a time one hour at a time and when that is too overwhelming one minute at a time. The cats are stressed to the max and that in turn stresses us. They run from us when we approach now to give them meds. And giving them meds is the most awful experience. They fight and gag and spit and salivate and cry and claw and well you get the picture.

So yes to answer the question @Dancing Fire posed at this moment I would gladly give all the cats to Greg. But ask me in a few months when (g-d willing) they are all better and my answer might be different. :cheeky: Praying we get to that point in time.:pray:

Oh Missy, it sounds horrible there at the moment. I hope things start to pick up soon. When I was younger & living at home, we had to give our huge farm cat Brian (don't ask... dad called him that...) some tablets. He was big, heavy & strong. Put that together with him absolutely refusing to swallow his tablets, and you had me holding him in fear of my life & my mother opening his jaws & pushing tablets in. Honestly, he ripped me to shreds. My Uncle happened to call over that evening & when he saw my arms were cut to ribbons, he exclaimed "My goodness, what happened?!" I told him & then I pulled up my t-shirt. He just fell about laughing, as my stomach also looked like Wolverine had been at it with his back paws :lol: He came back the next morning with leather gauntlets for me that he used with his birds. No more scratches for me! :lol-2:

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In answer to the question, I would keep the two cats. They are my alternative babies. Husband is welcome to his huge tank of fish though....

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Edit: the judge was so ticked off about it he ordered both parents to pay child support to the grandparents.

This is one of the saddest divorce stories I've heard... shame on those parents! And I feel so bad for the poor children!! :(

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd take the cats... I saved them, and I'm their mom.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd keep the cats, we would divide the dogs, I'd get the guinea pigs he hates them, he can have the chickens.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bought a "divorce dog" in 2006 to avoid a custody dispute. We shared one dog together and when we first began talking about potentially divorcing and what that would mean for our pet, we decided the best thing for us was to get another dog. It worked out exactly as planned. He kept the dog that hated me and loved him, and I adopted a dog that hated him and loved me. That was probably the smoothest part of the entire marriage. :lol-2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results