shape
carat
color
clarity

If you have unplated White Gold pieces please share!

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
Please show me your unplated white gold pieces and please share the alloy. I’ve probably read almost every thread I can find on unplated white gold but I’m still undecided on 14k or 18k. Also if anyone has a 22k band they can stack next to unplated white gold you will officially be my favorite person on pricescope!

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
Mines in my avatar and a thread on the lab diamond forum.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ra2nl

Shiny_Rock
From left to right, 2 x unplated 14k, middle plated 14k, 2 tone unplated 18k and not 22k but 24k YG. The 18k unplated WG is more yellow than the 14k ones 359A79B5-FB07-4104-8350-EF0D22AA0F24.jpeg

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
Mines in my avatar and a thread on the lab diamond forum.

Thank you! Yours is gorgeous! That’s very helpful

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock

I’m glad you commented. I’ve been reading all of your posts about metals and I’m still having trouble. The diamond is an L color emerald cut. I’m most likely going to bezel set it. My go to for my warm stones has always been 18k yellow but I’m hoping to try something new this time. I’m in desperate need of some white metals in my collection. My hope is to create enough contrast between the metal and the stone to highlight the stones warmth. I want an overall vintage vibe to the piece. I’m still open to platinum but I’m thinking Unplated white is most likely the direction I want to go. Any advice?

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
From left to right, 2 x unplated 14k, middle plated 14k, 2 tone unplated 18k and not 22k but 24k YG. The 18k unplated WG is more yellow than the 14k ones 359A79B5-FB07-4104-8350-EF0D22AA0F24.jpeg

Wow! This is very helpful! Thank you so much. Do you find the 14k Unplated or 18k Unplated look better stacked with the 24ct gold. I want to pair this piece with a 22 ct yellow gold band.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Unplated white gold is so yummy! I love it too, but a lot of alloys don't love me back, hah!

Let me explain...make sure you don't have a nickel sensitivity before diving in. Not sure if you have already worn a nickel alloy before, but I bought a gorgeous 18k WG wedding set, only to find out I was allergic to nickel!

I have owned three different alloys, with a 4th on the way...unfortunately I don't have a comparison shot with all of them.

What I do have:
  • 14k palladium WG hoops - has a warm grey color - i do not have the exact alloy, palladium is from the platinum family, and is inert in the body, hence it not causing an allergy - it is VERY different looking from other WG alloys made w/ nickel
  • 18k WG nickel alloy ring- warmer and more "golden" with almost a green undertones, it's from Sholdt (I think it is the most striking, but again, can cause allergies for ~10% of the population)

I also added in 900 plat / 10 iridium alloy so you can understand that WG typically leans "warmer" than platinum

Top to bottom: 18k WG, platinum, 14k WG palladium

IMG-7141.jpg

Top to bottom: 18k WG, 14k WG palladium, platinum

IMG-7136.jpg

Top to bottom: 14k WG palladium, 18k WG, platinum

IMG-7134.jpg

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
Unplated white gold is so yummy! I love it too, but a lot of alloys don't love me back, hah!

Let me explain...make sure you don't have a nickel sensitivity before diving in. Not sure if you have already worn a nickel alloy before, but I bought a gorgeous 18k WG wedding set, only to find out I was allergic to nickel!

I have owned three different alloys, with a 4th on the way...unfortunately I don't have a comparison shot with all of them.

What I do have:
  • 14k palladium WG hoops - has a warm grey color - i do not have the exact alloy, palladium is from the platinum family, and is inert in the body, hence it not causing an allergy - it is VERY different looking from other WG alloys made w/ nickel
  • 18k WG nickel alloy ring- warmer and more "golden" with almost a green undertones, it's from Sholdt (I think it is the most striking, but again, can cause allergies for ~10% of the population)

I also added in 900 plat / 10 iridium alloy so you can understand that WG typically leans "warmer" than platinum

Top to bottom: 18k WG, platinum, 14k WG palladium

IMG-7141.jpg

Top to bottom: 18k WG, 14k WG palladium, platinum

IMG-7136.jpg

Top to bottom: 14k WG palladium, 18k WG, platinum

IMG-7134.jpg

Thank you so much! This really helps! That 18k is soooo yummy. Im definitely leaning towards that. Im going to guess I don’t have any metal allergies. I wore a lot of cheap jewelry when I was younger including earrings and various body jewelry ‍♀️

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Thank you so much! This really helps! That 18k is soooo yummy. Im definitely leaning towards that. Im going to guess I don’t have any metal allergies. I wore a lot of cheap jewelry when I was younger including earrings and various body jewelry ‍♀️

I’m jealous! I’ve always been sensitive! Glad it was helpful :)

Ra2nl

Shiny_Rock
Wow! This is very helpful! Thank you so much. Do you find the 14k Unplated or 18k Unplated look better stacked with the 24ct gold. I want to pair this piece with a 22 ct yellow gold band.
Both looks good to me stacking with 24k, i think it's personal preference!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m glad you commented. I’ve been reading all of your posts about metals and I’m still having trouble. The diamond is an L color emerald cut. I’m most likely going to bezel set it. My go to for my warm stones has always been 18k yellow but I’m hoping to try something new this time. I’m in desperate need of some white metals in my collection. My hope is to create enough contrast between the metal and the stone to highlight the stones warmth. I want an overall vintage vibe to the piece. I’m still open to platinum but I’m thinking Unplated white is most likely the direction I want to go. Any advice?

Is your L strictly yellow, or doesn’t have a olive component? (Ignoring what any report says - what you see with your eyes).

I have an S/T and a U/V - considerably more tinted than yours - both have a touch of beige/olive. They looked terrible against icy cool white metal (platinum) and YG (14k or 18k) - brought out the olive. I went with unplated white gold alloyed with nickel and I’m very happy, brings out the warmth without exaggerating the olive ::)

An L is not very strongly tinted... I would stay away from 18k Ni/WG alloys - they tend to be clearly light yellow. 14k Ni/WG is generally a more delicate off-white.

22k, 18k Ni/WG, Platinum
433A777F-1A9E-4805-8245-0971232DC67D.jpeg

22k, 14k Ni/WG, Platinum
F7CBA043-B162-4646-82B0-B1171275626B.jpeg

22k, 18k Ni/WG, 14k Ni/WG, Platinum
CE2F7632-20AD-44C4-AAB8-B70B05229DC5.jpeg

N OMC (slight olive in this stone as well) in unplated 14k Ni/WG:
948238A7-9B45-48DA-B659-2EAFF1E2F369.png
E4696B1F-CABE-4997-83AC-47DB91941A8A.png

Last edited:

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
Is your L strictly yellow, or doesn’t have a olive component? (Ignoring what any report says - what you see with your eyes).

I have an S/T and a U/V - considerably more tinted than yours - both have a touch of beige/olive. They looked terrible against icy cool white metal (platinum) and YG (14k or 18k) - brought out the olive. I went with unplated white gold alloyed with nickel and I’m very happy, brings out the warmth without exaggerating the olive ::)

An L is not very strongly tinted... I would stay away from 18k Ni/WG alloys - they tend to be clearly light yellow. 14k Ni/WG is generally a more delicate off-white.

22k, 18k Ni/WG, Platinum
433A777F-1A9E-4805-8245-0971232DC67D.jpeg

22k, 14k Ni/WG, Platinum
F7CBA043-B162-4646-82B0-B1171275626B.jpeg

22k, 18k Ni/WG, 14k Ni/WG, Platinum
CE2F7632-20AD-44C4-AAB8-B70B05229DC5.jpeg

N OMC (slight olive in this stone as well) in unplated 14k Ni/WG:
948238A7-9B45-48DA-B659-2EAFF1E2F369.png
E4696B1F-CABE-4997-83AC-47DB91941A8A.png

Thank you! This is helpful. I know you said to ignore what the report says but the report does state faint brown. What I see in real life is an ivory lace color in some lights and a golden caramel color in other lights. I have an N and a Q/R that are both very buttery yellow and this stone plays differently. I have it next to an old 18k white, 14k yellow and 18k yellow. I do have a plated 14k white I should try it next to but hadn’t thought to yet. I’d love to try a platinum piece but I’m not sure that this is the right stone for it. I think it needs a warmer metal. 1A2F8949-4D83-419A-BB0E-8E220594FF68.jpeg 8A8F6D85-710E-4300-BC53-C3CCF410462D.jpeg 8AAFAF23-010D-4AA4-BA58-7F09FDB3E97E.jpeg DEC6786E-4626-4F52-B282-5E73B4CD9C92.jpeg 93D9D162-94E0-4170-8613-FE89C7CA661D.jpeg

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry! Autocorrect made a mess of my last post. I meant to say “does it have an olive component”, not “doesn’t have a olive component”.

Your stone is beautiful, it looks antiquey and inviting ::) For a faint brown stone my biggest recommendation would probably be to avoid alloys with significant silver or zinc components (which err greenish) - and, if possible, look for alloys with high copper content (which makes the metal more pink, which I think is lovely next to cool brown tones).

I will say that this is a degree of detail that most vendors will be unwilling to deal with. Most will just look at you like you’ve grown a second nose. For the most part, unless you’re working with one of those very rare vendors, the choices are going to be platinum, white gold alloyed with nickel left unplated, white gold alloyed with palladium left unplated, white gold plated, or yellow gold. For your stone I definitely choose white gold alloyed with nickel left unplated in as low a karat as you’re comfortable with.

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
Thank you! Yours is gorgeous! That’s very helpful

Thanks. I know you said you wanted white metal but have you thought of rose? Lots of people like brownish diamonds with rose gold. The marquise in the post I am linking below is K. Here is another post on different metals:

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks. I know you said you wanted white metal but have you thought of rose? Lots of people like brownish diamonds with rose gold. The marquise in the post I am linking below is K. Here is another post on different metals:

Rose is 100% out simply because I absolutely love rose gold and have way to many rose gold pieces! I might break down and do yellow but I’m really hoping to make white work this time so I can have something different

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry! Autocorrect made a mess of my last post. I meant to say “does it have an olive component”, not “doesn’t have a olive component”.

Your stone is beautiful, it looks antiquey and inviting ::) For a faint brown stone my biggest recommendation would probably be to avoid alloys with significant silver or zinc components (which err greenish) - and, if possible, look for alloys with high copper content (which makes the metal more pink, which I think is lovely next to cool brown tones).

I will say that this is a degree of detail that most vendors will be unwilling to deal with. Most will just look at you like you’ve grown a second nose. For the most part, unless you’re working with one of those very rare vendors, the choices are going to be platinum, white gold alloyed with nickel left unplated, white gold alloyed with palladium left unplated, white gold plated, or yellow gold. For your stone I definitely choose white gold alloyed with nickel left unplated in as low a karat as you’re comfortable with.

You are amazing! Thank you sooo much

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results