shape
carat
color
clarity

If you could live anywhere in the world

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mrs-b mentioned Edinburgh...but Glasgow's where it's at! (Though being a Weegie rather than a Burger I may be biased! :lol: )

Scotland is home. I like that (until recently) the First Minister (aka The Nicola, polite pet name) and the leaders of the opposition parties were all female.

You're mostly within 45 mins driving distance of the sea or mountains, or both, from just about anywhere. We don't have extremes of weather, we don't have beasties (apart from midgies) and while we moan about the summers, if you do get a sunny day, there isn't anywhere else I'd rather be. In the summer it doesn't really get dark, just dark-ish.

We still hold doors open for people and say thank you to the bus driver/train conductor when we get off the bus/train. If you accidentally left a beautifully wrapped package on the seat of public transport, you'd expect it to be handed in to lost property. I think that's partly because there are only 5m of us in the whole country and having more personal space makes it easier to be a better behaved person. Although we do have our share of numpties!

Capture.JPG

Family photo of beach in Skye

Great post! Totally agree. We’re on the Isle of Mull right now, would love a wee place to stay here. Great beaches, wildlife, fantastic local seafood and meat, love it!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
my very first thought
if money is no option
id move down the shore as in New Jersey
but to be honest im not sure i would survive the winter litterly because i hate winter clothes

for 20 years i was so homesick for my home town it was like a physical pain eventually the homesickness applied to the entire South island and id see it every morning from my train to work - so close yet so far

Dunedin is in my bones and I'll feel sad forever
i always thought id become successful somehow and would return home a celebrated daughter
but you know its a propper city, a main centre rich in heritage and culture but also forward looking and innovative
it will have moved on without me and i won't belong

if money was no option maybe id just buy a house in the suburb where we lived before, Tawa, North Wellington. houses are so expensive we didn't even waste time or heart break looking but its so windy and the dirt is clay and rock, its hard to have a nice garden and its sitting on multiple fault lines

i do love this small provincal city of Wanhanui where we recently moved to
its kind of like a baby Dunedin and i feel less home sick here
the climate is temperate and its perfect for gardening
but life has been less than kind since we moved here
we havn't made a single friend except for a stray tom cat
we live in a nice supburb just the least nice street and its not scruffy or anything, just mainly rentals

maybe we could bowl the neighbour's house
its a rental and the people are just awful and landlord's don't care so long as the rent is paid
and relocate a Californian bungalow from a few streets over
because i grew up in a Californian bungalow
and lift our house up and build more house under it even though its perfectly adequate for 2 people and 2 cats as it is - we need indoor outdoor flow and a new bathroom and a better bigger kitchen
Dunedin-1.jpg
Dunedin
Wanganui-1.jpg
Wanganui
Bruce-Springsteen-new-york-2015-a-billboard-1548.jpg
New Jersey

Dear Daisy, what a thrill it would be for me if you moved here. Haha I know it is but a dream but you love New Jersey so much so one day I do hope you will, visit. We will take you to the Stone Pony and hopefully someone great will be playing there when you do visit. New Jersey loves you too Daisy.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
serra_cume.jpg

Terceira Island, one of Azores' nine islands in the middle of the Atlantic - an autonomous region of Portugal.

Why?
It's stunningly beautiful, as are its people.
I lived there a year and a half while in the military.
Best place I've ever been.

Sounds breathtaking.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great post! Totally agree. We’re on the Isle of Mull right now, would love a wee place to stay here. Great beaches, wildlife, fantastic local seafood and meat, love it!

Love it. :love: Enjoy.

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
Switzerland is beautiful. I haven't visited there in many decades but very much enjoyed it when I was there. I too enjoy clean and orderly.

I studied abroad for 5 months in Switzerland and it was one of the best experiences of my life. The gorgeous and clean orderly surroundings were great for my mind. I also love the beach. So, perhaps 2 homes at minimum - a Swiss apartment close to it all and a beach house. That would do it for me.

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would live in the penthouse in the Pierre Hotel in New York City.

My aunt lived in the Pierre for many years....not the penthouse, but every room had a view of the park. The staff were always friendly and helpful. We visited often....and miss her.

Reactions: AV_

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I studied abroad for 5 months in Switzerland and it was one of the best experiences of my life. The gorgeous and clean orderly surroundings were great for my mind. I also love the beach. So, perhaps 2 homes at minimum - a Swiss apartment close to it all and a beach house. That would do it for me.

Cool. A dear friend worked in Switzerland and loved it also.

cheers--Sharon

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a very interesting thread!

I have fantasies about living in other places, for sure. But in reality, I know that everywhere has its downsides, once you have to deal with the laws and politics of a given place. For example, I also have similar visions of Switzerland as others described here, but ten years ago I went to an exercise class locally taught by a young Swiss woman. She said that Switzerland was very sexist, and that jobs still go to men much more than women because there's an underlying assumption that men need to earn money more than women do. I think she also said something about another law that was anti-women, but I can't remember what it was. Anyway, she liked America more than Switzerland.

I like where I live right now. The weather is temperate and it's a blue state. I hate being uprooted, and besides, I think the world is what you make it (providing you live in a safe democracy and are not fighting for basic rights every day. See Hong Kong right now. :-o). I think contentment is a state of mind. So many fantasies about lives in other places are at heart an escape fantasy. But you take yourself with you wherever you go! I'm a homebody. I've lived in my current house for 14 years and the longer I'm here, the happier I feel!

Having said that, I do have fantasies of living in Canada. I've never been there, but I think of fresh, clean, cold air, and glittering snow and ice, and civilized behavior and politics. Probably a fantasy, but hey, works for me!

Oh - and in similar vein to the Canadian fantasy is the Austrian fantasy. Austria makes me think of clean, glittering mountain streams and wonderful air. I adore Swarovski jewelry. It's all made with Austrian mountain water, in the mountains of Austria where Swarovski is located. (You need water to make lead crystal.) I love the thought that I'm wearing some of Austria's glorious mountain water. Swarovski crystal sparkles like sunlight bouncing off water.

ETA: I love America. I know we're going through a dark time right now, but this is a worldwide trend - it's not specifically American. I comfort myself that millions more people voted for Hillary than Trump. Politics aside, I think this is a great place to live: We have so many different types of landscape, a truly stunning array of flora and fauna, and property is really cheap outside the cities. And although we've a long way to go in terms of stamping out prejudice of all kinds, we've also come a long way since the Sixties. (Yay for marriage equality!) We'll get there, especially with the younger generations coming up who are determined to see real change.

Last edited:

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful places people have chosen. If I had my druthers it would be on at least 500 acres in view of the Sawtooth Mtns. Though the Tetons would be acceptable as well. ;-)

That said, I still live in a beautiful part of America and am content now.

stanley.jpg

tetons.jpg

Last edited:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Redwood, that looks like heaven. :love:

AV_

Ideal_Rock
This is my place. I am happiest in a village small enough for people to say 'Hello' passing each other on the streets that end up into more or less wild terraced orchards & mountain trails. The worst of winter looks like spring & the details of life are quite beautiful. I can remember being spoiled by several wordly cities, nevermind those.

@marcy There are places like that near Granada, on the other side of the city; I am down in the valley, you would be up in the mountains. Houses are far apart along local roads. There is a leass than one hour drive from perfectly dark skies to city, over a soft mountain ridge.

Last edited:

Weeivy73

Shiny_Rock
Trade
my very first thought
if money is no option
id move down the shore as in New Jersey
but to be honest im not sure i would survive the winter litterly because i hate winter clothes

for 20 years i was so homesick for my home town it was like a physical pain eventually the homesickness applied to the entire South island and id see it every morning from my train to work - so close yet so far

Dunedin is in my bones and I'll feel sad forever
i always thought id become successful somehow and would return home a celebrated daughter
but you know its a propper city, a main centre rich in heritage and culture but also forward looking and innovative
it will have moved on without me and i won't belong

if money was no option maybe id just buy a house in the suburb where we lived before, Tawa, North Wellington. houses are so expensive we didn't even waste time or heart break looking but its so windy and the dirt is clay and rock, its hard to have a nice garden and its sitting on multiple fault lines

i do love this small provincal city of Wanhanui where we recently moved to
its kind of like a baby Dunedin and i feel less home sick here
the climate is temperate and its perfect for gardening
but life has been less than kind since we moved here
we havn't made a single friend except for a stray tom cat
we live in a nice supburb just the least nice street and its not scruffy or anything, just mainly rentals

maybe we could bowl the neighbour's house
its a rental and the people are just awful and landlord's don't care so long as the rent is paid
and relocate a Californian bungalow from a few streets over
because i grew up in a Californian bungalow
and lift our house up and build more house under it even though its perfectly adequate for 2 people and 2 cats as it is - we need indoor outdoor flow and a new bathroom and a better bigger kitchen
Dunedin-1.jpg
Dunedin
Wanganui-1.jpg
Wanganui
Bruce-Springsteen-new-york-2015-a-billboard-1548.jpg
New Jersey
I was born in Dunedin @Daisys and Diamonds and my parents still live in Port Chalmers. It's a beautiful part of the country and I love going down there as much as I can, especially as my son moved down there at the start if this year.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was born in Dunedin @Daisys and Diamonds and my parents still live in Port Chalmers. It's a beautiful part of the country and I love going down there as much as I can, especially as my son moved down there at the start if this year.
my dad's family are from Port Chalmers so we spent lots of sunday drives down at the warf watching the wood chips get loaded

mum was from Maori hill, we lived in Musselburgh
im very enveouse but happy for you
i would think Port have changed quite alot
after my dad died it just got too sad without him and we all drifted away but my heart will always belong to Dunedin
that's really nice your son is now close to his grand parents

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
20191012_110904.jpg
20191014_181517.jpg
Just Got home from my fifth visit to So Cal in the last 16 months. Absolutely where I would live if I won the lottery. Somewhere between Laguna and Encinitas. Near the beach. The weather, the beaches, the sunsets, the laid back vibe, flip flops anywhere...very me.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are a few places I wouldn't mind moving to in CA. We spend a lot of time in Pismo Beach, and I love San Luis Obispo. It sits snuggled right up to the El Diablo nuclear power plant though. Not sure I would want to live next to that in earthquake country. I love Carpinteria too. I could live there. I really do like the smallish town we live in. If you would have told me years ago, that I would live here I would have laughed in your face.
I have thought a lot about moving. CA is a expensive place to live. But most of my family is here. Our daughter is in AZ. Not to offend the AZ people, but I just don't like it there. I am not a desert person. I want grass in my yard. So I am doomed to stay right where I am because my grandkids are there and anywhere else would be farther from them.

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Somewhere in the Bay of Islands or the Bay of Plenty in New Zealand, gorgeous views and amazing fishing. That might need to be a retirement plan actually, and it's easily viable for us as I am a dual citizen of both Australia and NZ...

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Somewhere in the Bay of Islands or the Bay of Plenty in New Zealand, gorgeous views and amazing fishing. That might need to be a retirement plan actually, and it's easily viable for us as I am a dual citizen of both Australia and NZ...

Jordy, please somehow get us in (too bad we are too old for you to adopt lol)...we want to join you. Best place ever. Heaven on earth.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree completely. Moving is very stressful. Right up there with death and divorce and losing one's job. But if you don't mind sharing the general location of where you would love to live. I have been thinking about the best place to live and of course depends on the individual (couple) and I am interested in hearing others thoughts about this.

For me, right now, because my family (parents/sister/nieces/MIL) live here I want to stay in the NYC/Jersey shore area but once they are no longer a consideration I am open to relocating to the West coast but there is so much to consider.

I would say my number one priority (after family proximity) is weather when deciding where to live. I love change of seasons but as I get older I want less extreme temps and would love Northern California as there is a change in seasons there still but less freezing and less heat extremes. Though other things give me pause about moving there. Cost of living being one though where we live now cost of living is just as high if not higher depending on where one lives. And then there are earthquakes/flooding and fires to consider. Plus other issues. I know there is no perfect place to live. The question is where is the best place to live and that is different for everyone. For me the weather out there on the west coast is so tempting. I am an outdoor girl and love being outside as much as possible but it is weather dependent for me as I do not do well when it is too cold or too hot.

Also critical is being near a city where there is lots of interesting things to do. Culturally speaking. And being near good medical/hospitals because as one ages that becomes more important. Good schools do not matter for us so we can cross that consideration off the list. And I need to be near the sea. It gives me energy and I just love the sea. And we need good cycling trails for sure. We love to cycle and do it as often as we can.
Missy I love your criteria. So where is this perfect place? It sounds ideal for me!

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sounds breathtaking.
Kenny, I agree re the Azores. We went there 10 years ago and did not want to leave. It was not touristed at all. We went in winter and the jet stream made the weather quite mild. We also loved the food although Bourdain slammed the cuisine.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy I love your criteria. So where is this perfect place? It sounds ideal for me!

Hahaha I’ll let you know when I find it lambskin. :halo:

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

In fantasy land, I would retire in Monoco and the French Riveria. I like the atmosphere and I like to gamble. The people of Monoco have the longest life spans of any country(last I looked), and I love the beach. I told my son that when I die and he has money, he should go there for at least a holiday. And rent a jazzy sports car.

I also would maintain a place in the states. Henderson Nevada, which is a nice suburb outside of Las Vegas is where I would buy a place. I have been there many times. Winter does not get too cold, summers are hot but air-conditioning will do for me. Its the cold I hate. RedRock mountains, bike and hiking trails--many things to do there. Good hospitals.

Annette

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
My dad was a diplomat, so I have had an international upbringing....but I feel that I have landed in the best place ever, and I currently live in Orange County California, and I'm 30 minutes from the Beach and 1 hour from the mountains. There is also lots of cultural diversity and perfect for the "foodie" that I am. You can find all kinds of international cuisine (not mainstream): Lebanese, Ethiopian, Peruvian, Puerto Rican etc, right on your doorstep....

Other than the high income taxes and the earthquake dangers, I'm exactly where I want to live!

Sharing the pictures of the lake (right in my backyard) that I take my dog to every weekend.

My town.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My dad was a diplomat, so I have had an international upbringing....but I feel that I have landed in the best place ever, and I currently live in Orange County California, and I'm 30 minutes from the Beach and 1 hour from the mountains. There is also lots of cultural diversity and perfect for the "foodie" that I am. You can find all kinds of international cuisine (not mainstream): Lebanese, Ethiopian, Peruvian, Puerto Rican etc, right on your doorstep....

Other than the high income taxes and the earthquake dangers, I'm exactly where I want to live!

Sharing the pictures of the lake (right in my backyard) that I take my dog to every weekend.

My town.jpg

Amazing and if we could I would move to OC Ca in a heartbeat.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would choose to live in the same area I am in now. We are looking at one day in the near-ish term (5-10 years) buying a big piece of land and building a home. Looking in the same area we are in with plans to buy land in cash then sell existing house once other is built. We are 25 minutes from Seattle one direction and 25 minutes from the mountains in the other. 2 hours to get to the only rainforest in North America. 2 hours to get to something very desert like. Great food, amazing animal treatment, moderate weather, no poisonous snakes/spiders... What more could I want?

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Jordy, please somehow get us in (too bad we are too old for you to adopt lol)...we want to join you. Best place ever. Heaven on earth.

I don't know how to do that in NZ unfortunately lol but I am really tempted to retire there, dad grew up in the Bay of Plenty and it has barely changed since I was last there in '99. Here is a view from the top of Mt Maunganui, I walked up to the top when I was 11 years old lol. FB_IMG_1571370170445.jpg

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
First, I don’t mind Seattle (and I love Boston even more).

I loved Melbourne, Australia, but it probably is expensive now.

I loved the North Island of New Zealand. NZ is nr 1 on my list.

Singapore could be nice. At least it was nice to visit.

In Europe, my places could be Barcelona (because they have normal hours, go to bed late and wake up late). I also love Budapest, beautiful city, nice people. Or Prague that is probably unanimously liked by all Europeans.

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I loved Melbourne, Australia, but it probably is expensive now.

I loved the North Island of New Zealand. NZ is nr 1 on my list

Melbourne isn't as expensive as Sydney, I'm looking at building a family home soon with 4 bedrooms and looking at about $500kAUD/$330KUSD to build what we want. If we go established it will be considerably less but we won't be getting everything we want obviously.

North Island is God's country, I love the place so much. Great scenery, better fishing and the people are awesome as well. South Island is a bit too cold for me.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Melbourne isn't as expensive as Sydney, I'm looking at building a family home soon with 4 bedrooms and looking at about $500kAUD/$330KUSD to build what we want. If we go established it will be considerably less but we won't be getting everything we want obviously.

North Island is God's country, I love the place so much. Great scenery, better fishing and the people are awesome as well. South Island is a bit too cold for me.

Agree. Auckland is amazing but traffic is bad, Wellington is super-beautiful but windy! Maybe something smaller between these two.

We ran into a Maori convention in the hotel, and I enjoyed out conversation, and the evening.

Melbourne looks like mini-London to me.

The prices you quoted are not expensive for our neighborhood.

But the main thing - good luck with the house! )

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results