shape
carat
color
clarity

If someone ask you how much your diamond ring cost...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
do you tell them ?

Icicles

Shiny_Rock
why not? i get great deals and love to brag about saving money!

Diamondsbybree

Brilliant_Rock
I sure do tell them..
naughty.gif

Judi W

Shiny_Rock
I think I would consider someone rather rude if they asked me how much my diamond or anything else costs. The only time such a question might get an answer would be if the person was "in the market" to buy a diamond himself and wanted the benifit of my shopping experience to help him along.

I also hate it when someone compliments me on something and then asks me where I got it.....!

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
That's actually a tough question. It would depend on who is asking. If they are someone who I know has an idea of what diamonds cost, I have no problem discussing it. But if they are someone who has no clue (which many people do not), I hesitate. Although I got an oustanding deal on my 2 ct, if I were to tell your average curious consumer, they might be shocked, don't you think?
6.gif
2.gif
1.gif

DiamondLil

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Um, I've never been asked this question! WHERE do all these rude people come from? Seriously, I read about these questions here, but in REAL LIFE the general population seems to hold a bit more tact upon their shoulders when it comes to engagement rings! lol (I think it's cool to ask from which company you purchased from, but to ask how much your loved one spent on a gift item isn't appropriate. "um, how much did your husband spend on your birthday present?", would be rude, so a ring related question, as it being a gift, is just as rude, IMO.

Michelle

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 7/27/2004 3:35:31 PM Judi W wrote:

I think I would consider someone rather rude if they asked me how much my diamond or anything else costs.

I also hate it when someone compliments me on something and then asks me where I got it.....!----------------

That's so irritating! I had a "friend" in college that literally copied everything about me. It was scary.

I don't tell people how much my ring cost. Its none of their business.

Bethanying

Shiny_Rock
I would say, in my sweetest southern accent, "Why, honey, I don't know, it was a gift! But it sure is pretty, isn't it?"

Bethany
naughty.gif

Judi W

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 7/27/2004 3:56:13 PM ame wrote:

----------------

I also hate it when someone compliments me on something and then asks me where I got it.....!----------------

That's so irritating! I had a 'friend' in college that literally copied everything about me. It was scary.

I don't tell people how much my ring cost. Its none of their business.----------------

I also had a "friend" at work that copied me! She would compliment my haircut and then ask who I go to. That same week she'd come and tell me she has an appointment my hairdresser! You are right...it did get scary. I think people who need to emulate others - or ask "how much things cost" are very insecure and unable to think for themselves. Of course the exception is if someone is just looking for advice - which can be the case when making a purchase as important as a diamond!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yea I don't usually share who does my hair unless I see someone with a tragedy going on and they need a referral. That's totally differnet. But I won't flat out tell anyone where I get mine done at when they ask out of fear of copycats.

sluke

Shiny_Rock
Sort of. Someone at work asked if my ring was insured (yes, of course), then she asked if I got an insurance appraisal (yes), then, she asked "so how much is the value?...$2,500?"

My ring is a ideal-cut, unbranded H & A, 1.51 ct RB E color, SI1 (eye clean)in a 4-prong tiffany style ring.

I responded with a w/ a slight forced smile and said "close, but not quite". SHe then proceed to say "$3,000?" I said no, not quite, then she continued and said "$3,500?"..."No, not quite" I responded". She then said, "well, it can be more than $4,500". At this point, I said, let's drop it. She then became very insistant and kept pushing on it. She kept increasing the value in $500. increments until I finally I said NO. I'm not going to say. This was in front of several people. It was a bit rude.

Judi W

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 7/27/2004 4:39:43 PM sluke wrote:

Sort of. Someone at work asked if my ring was insured (yes, of course), then she asked if I got an insurance appraisal (yes), then, she asked 'so how much is the value?...$2,500?'

I responded with a w/ a slight forced smile and said 'close, but not quite'. SHe then proceed to say '$3,000?' I said no, not quite, then she continued and said '$3,500?'...'No, not quite' I responded'. She then said, 'well, it can be more than $4,500'. At this point, I said, let's drop it. She then became very insistant and kept pushing on it. She kept increasing the value in $500. increments until I finally I said NO. I'm not going to say. This was in front of several people. It was a bit rude. ----------------

OMG! That is rude! I used to be concerned that I would "insult" or hurt the feelings of someone if I just said it's none of their business.....but if they are that pushy and rude to ask in the first place then they are asking for it a brush off answer! Enjoy your beautiful ring and let that nosey "admirer" imagine what you may have paid!!

katbadness

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 7/27/2004 3:35:31 PM Judi W wrote:

This is interesting.
4.gif

I learned somewhere that for a French woman, somebody giving a compliment then asking where she got the said item is considered to be the *absolute* compliment.
5.gif

I'm not sure what they (i.e. French women) think of copy-cats though.
confused.gif

elepri

Brilliant_Rock
So far my mom was the only one who's asked. Aparently, all her friends are openly discussing how much their daughter's engagement rings cost (or how much their son's spent on those rings). Must be a cultural thing. I told her that my fiance wouldn't tell me how much he'd spent. My mom has no clue about diamonds and diamond prices and has never owned one. She would've had a heart attack if i told her so i just couldn't take any chances
2.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 7/27/2004 4:21:29 PM Judi W wrote:

----------------
On 7/27/2004 3:56:13 PM ame wrote:

----------------

That's so irritating! I had a 'friend' in college that literally copied everything about me. It was scary.

I don't tell people how much my ring cost. Its none of their business.----------------

I also had a 'friend' at work that copied me! She would compliment my haircut and then ask who I go to. That same week she'd come and tell me she has an appointment my hairdresser! You are right...it did get scary. I think people who need to emulate others - or ask 'how much things cost' are very insecure and unable to think for themselves. Of course the exception is if someone is just looking for advice - which can be the case when making a purchase as important as a diamond!----------------

Judi w
the next time you see this friend make you have a 5 ct a cut above on your finger,if she gonna copy you,you can make some $$$ by selling her one.

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
I say "Oh, who knows...It's just money...You know I don't pay attention to such things."

9.gif

PS Echo Michelle's comment re: where do THESES people come from??????
rolleyes.gif

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Some of these "people" remind me of that movie:
Single White Female. Scary

Gale

Shiny_Rock
I have a really tacky cousin that asks such things. We did not really get along as children, but after a I returned to Canada from living in California, I thought we were all grown up now and invited her for dinner. Here's her entire line of conversation that evening (over 7 years ago now): How much was this? How much was that? Including my engagement ring/wedding ring. She even asked how much the FORKS and dinner service cost on that evening! OK. Puhlease forgive me! I went to university, got a good degree and then went out into the world to seek my fortune, And I spent some money on some of the good things in life along the way. So I didn't run off with the circus (don't laugh - that analogy parallels my cousin's life)!

There's no way I would discuss the cost of my jewlery with anyone but my jewler or my insurance agent. I don't have much, and for the most part, it's not flashy either. But, what I have is the best possible quality I could afford at the time. What I would spend for a diamond, a single pearl, an opal or a custom setting would offend most of the people in my current neighborhood (rural Nova Scotia, two weeks out of three for the moment). Even though I have been lucky in achieving appraisals, for the most part, that exceed the money spent by far, I still don't want people to know that - it would be perceived as showing off. And having had the good fortune to live in LA for a while, it is genrally thought I am a show off, just becuase of that.

While there is a large status card to be played through the wearing of an engagement ring, I think that spilling the beans on how much your finacee/husband spent on this token of love is disrespectful to the giver of the token and what that token stands for What if all he could afford was something out of a gumball machine? I would hardly like to boast if he spent thousands of dollars at a fancy store for a ring when the woman next to me was given a thin 14k gold band as her only token of love (not uncommon around here).

Having said all that, I would be interested in helping someone who wanted help with purchasing a fine diamond. For that purpose, I would refer them to this excellent website for guidance, and to the very fine online vendors, often recommended here, for expert assistance and advice. From these resources they could work out what they would like to spend on a diamond and what they could get for their money. It would also take the focus off of how much was spent om my left finger, which is of no real concern in any event.

So that's my preachy opinion. No disrespect intended for other viewpoints. Which I absolutely love this site for!

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
I don't tell anyone what things cost unless there is a reason (like someone shopping for something similar and needing comparisons.) I certainly wouldn't tell the random person, or my mother!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results