Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

If it's not a diamond what is this stone?

Primus20

Rough_Rock
Hello there.
So To make long story short. I have found this old dirty antique earing on ebay. I did clean it received_151554536826570.jpeg and it looks very much like an oec diamond .HOWEVER i took a diamond detector and Well it is not a diamond.
So is there possible that this is a zirconium oec with frosted gridle and all? received_1553338991523997.jpeg received_804191143829135.jpeg 20210403_155910.jpg Screenshot_20210423-154812_Messenger.jpg

Primus20

Rough_Rock
Paste is likely but I have a white sapphire pendant that is an Old European cut - It is very pretty and looks diamond-like.

So how can i know the différence between paste and saphire. Somebody educate me please .
Do you have a picturr of your oec saphire ?

Primus20

Rough_Rock
Paste was a special formula to mimic diamond - it is a special kind of glass with lead in it and is an artform of its own, Prized by many. If it has a diamond like sparkle then most likely paste.

It has very much diamond sparkle so i think it is paste. Poor me. I really though i scored an antique diamond. Now i have to have an oec diamond to ease my mind. But where can i purchase a genuine antique diamond ?

oodlesofpoodles

Shiny_Rock
I have a gem tester but if I didn't I would go to my regular jeweler to ask (not a mall jeweler). My jeweler is a bench jeweler with 40 years experience and he can look at anything and tell me what it is. I don't have a good picture but I will try and take one for you and post later today - just about to pop out for some errands

MrsBlue

Shiny_Rock
It's hard to tell from pics online. You'd need a gem tester or have a competent jeweler test it for you.

Just as an example, this piece has white sapphires and paste:

Old World Diamonds and Jewels by Grace offer antique stones. I've never purchased from them but you can find lots of threads about them on this site. Good luck!

Primus20

Rough_Rock
It's hard to tell from pics online. You'd need a gem tester or have a competent jeweler test it for you.

Just as an example, this piece has white sapphires and paste:

Old World Diamonds and Jewels by Grace offer antique stones. I've never purchased from them but you can find lots of threads about them on this site. Good luck!

Thank you very much. As a matter of fact i did took it to a jeweler near me and without really looking he told me it was a CZ however CZ je not that old and i have never seen an oec CZ in an antique setting and with frosted gridle. Wich lead me To buy a cheap diamond tester. And just like that i knew it was not a diamond

MrsBlue

Shiny_Rock
Many people just work in a shop and don't know much about what they're selling. A decent jeweler will at least have a gem tester and charge you a small amount for the testing. I've had better service in pawn shops.

I didn't guess CZ for the same reason as you--the antique setting.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hello there.
So To make long story short. I have found this old dirty antique earing on ebay. I did clean it received_151554536826570.jpeg and it looks very much like an oec diamond .HOWEVER i took a diamond detector and Well it is not a diamond.
So is there possible that this is a zirconium oec with frosted gridle and all? received_1553338991523997.jpeg received_804191143829135.jpeg 20210403_155910.jpg Screenshot_20210423-154812_Messenger.jpg

Oh its really pretty and looks like it sparkles like crazy

I hope it turns out to be a genuine stone

but if it doesn't its still pretty
And hopeful you didn't pay too much for it.
It would look lovelly when its worn and its still antique

when i was a wee girl my great aunt with no children left her estate to mum and her brothers

I got all her rather glamouse paste jewlery to play with
Nice paste jewlery was so well made back in its days

i find it a bit sad it all got lost in my toy box but i had a lot of fun with it

.....so if that pendent was mine no matter what it turns out to be, id still wear it and enjoy it for what it is =)2

Primus20

Rough_Rock
Oh its really pretty and looks like it sparkles like crazy

I hope it turns out to be a genuine stone

but if it doesn't its still pretty
And hopeful you didn't pay too much for it.
It would look lovelly when its worn and its still antique

when i was a wee girl my great aunt with no children left her estate to mum and her brothers

I got all her rather glamouse paste jewlery to play with
Nice paste jewlery was so well made back in its days

i find it a bit sad it all got lost in my toy box but i had a lot of fun with it

.....so if that pendent was mine no matter what it turns out to be, id still wear it and enjoy it for what it is =)2

It does sparkle like crazy i don't know if i can upload à video here. Thank you very much for your input. If you have photo of your paste jewellery i will take. Just for comparaison. Luckily i just payed 75€ for it so no regret here.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
It does sparkle like crazy i don't know if i can upload à video here. Thank you very much for your input. If you have photo of your paste jewellery i will take. Just for comparaison. Luckily i just payed 75€ for it so no regret here.

Oh unfortunately all Aunty Netta's sparkles got lost by us kids
i do have her ER i inherited from mum but its defiantly a diamond

i often think of that little trinket box full of sparkly brooches and clip on earings and think :doh:
But we had so much fun playing with them, they had a really good, happy, well lived- (if not exactly well looked after) and much loved 2nd life

Lucky for your piece, you are not 8 and its not 1979

Primus20

Rough_Rock
Did you put the stone on the metal plate that came with the diamond tester?

Guess what you might je on to something because the last few time i tested i did not put the stone with the métal plate.
Well i did try to put it in the métal plate and Well i did get a réaction. There was ONE red light . Let me show you guys a photo

Primus20

Rough_Rock
How van i post a vidéo On here ?? They said the uploaded file does not have an allowed extension

Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    May Birthstone 2021 - Emerald
    May Birthstone 2021 - Emerald
    Royal Jewels: A Mother's Love
    Royal Jewels: A Mother's Love
    Celebrity Moms Jewelry Style
    Celebrity Moms Jewelry Style

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor

Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.