shape
carat
color
clarity

If I care a lot about luster/thick nacre, but not shape...

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
...what am I looking for? I like all kinds of funny shapes--baroque, ringed, off-round, but I do want something with a beautiful luster. I get the sense that the AA/AAA ratings are for both luster and shape at the same time, so I just don't know how to shop for this. Any advice?

Looking for something white or cream with rose overtones.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Communicate with your preferred vendor, and ask them to point you to the highest luster pearls they have in stock regardless of shape.

While akoyas (including baroque akoyas) tend to have higher luster than freshwaters and south sea pearls, there are high luster pearls among FWP and SSP also.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
...what am I looking for? I like all kinds of funny shapes--baroque, ringed, off-round, but I do want something with a beautiful luster. I get the sense that the AA/AAA ratings are for both luster and shape at the same time, so I just don't know how to shop for this. Any advice?

Looking for something white or cream with rose overtones.

The AA/AAA system is only based on luster and amount of blemishing, not shape.

Most vendors will group by pearl type (freshwater, Akoya, WSS, GSS, and Tahitian) and then by shape (round, drop, oval, button, baroque), and then within each category, luster and surface clarity is what gets rated using the AA/AAA system. So round Akoya, AAA. Drop WSS, AA+, and the like. But there are differences even between AAA pearls, so touching base in person with the vendor and asking for what you want is best.

lindam1503

Shiny_Rock
I recommend looking at China vendors on Etsy. I buy regularly as I make and sell handmade pieces, and there are SO many choices in pearls, which personally, I love. Message the shop owner and let them know as best you can exactly what you're wanting, (e.g., very high luster). I've been amazed at the quality and the prices. The highest luster pearls I've bought are freshwaters and they're not large (maybe 8mm), but they have a mirror luster that's natural in white, lavender, peach colors. All the best--but shop around and read reviews. I haven't purchased any akoyas yet, but I've bought a few south sea Goldens (not round) at crazy low prices that I'm loving!

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So... I found an Etsy seller in Japan. After some back and forth I took the leap of faith. I’ll share my results in a couple weeks, whether good or bad!

Reactions: AV_

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think odd shaped but beautiful luster and color pearls really cool and unique. And the 'world is your oyster":lol: for setting options for these.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I recommend looking at China vendors on Etsy. I buy regularly as I make and sell handmade pieces, and there are SO many choices in pearls, which personally, I love. Message the shop owner and let them know as best you can exactly what you're wanting, (e.g., very high luster). I've been amazed at the quality and the prices. The highest luster pearls I've bought are freshwaters and they're not large (maybe 8mm), but they have a mirror luster that's natural in white, lavender, peach colors. All the best--but shop around and read reviews. I haven't purchased any akoyas yet, but I've bought a few south sea Goldens (not round) at crazy low prices that I'm loving!

You have to be careful there. Chinese sellers are notorious for selling fake pearls as real, or freshwater as south sea, or dyed as natural colour. Even reviews are misleading as they will give refunds and allow people to keep things that are clearly not as described in exchange for a positive review.

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
Chinese sellers are notorious for selling fake pearls as real

And, for bait and switch -- the item in the photo is not the item you receive.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Check out the pearl vendors mentioned in this site. There is a big difference in prices for baroque south sea and tahitian peals than fresh water pearls from china. I love the Comet or fireball pearls which are fresh water pearls. They are big and everyone is different. Plus they are relatively inexpensive. Luster does vary.

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
Different types of pearls have different types of lustre -- white South Sea tend to be like satin, while Akoya are crisp and shiny.

If you want thick nacre, I suggest avoiding Akoya. They have the thinnest.
Freshwater pearls are almost all nacre, unless you venture into the larger, bead nucleated varieties.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results