shape
carat
color
clarity

IDJ E-W Marquise Ring Design - Poll - YG or WG?

Yellow or White Gold Setting?

• White Gold

Votes: 26 51.0%
  • Yellow Gold

Votes: 25 49.0%

• Total voters

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am over the moon with the CADs IDJ turned out for me for my marquise ring project! I have an icy E marquise all picked out. NOW I need to finalize the metal choice. BOTH WG and YG look good on me. Doesn't that make this so much harder? :wacko:

Help a gal out by casting a vote!!!

_37560.jpg

_37561.jpg

_37562.jpg

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both would be gorgeous. The yellow gold looks to have more of a vintage flair to me. I think either would be amazing. Maybe choose based on what you think you'd actually wear more often. That may not be much help because you are garnering quite the collection of blingy rings!!! :lol:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just like it in the white metal better - really cool design!!

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am a fan of both metals but for your design I would pick white. I actually think the white has more antique feel which I like for an E/W marquise (maybe because I have one ;)))

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
For an E color marquise I pick yellow gold.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I voted for YG. I think diamonds pop more in the contrast with YG and blend in to WG.

Q

Queenie60

I say white - but that's because I'm partial to white metals. Both would look nice.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you do yellow gold, I recommend a brushed or matte finish instead of high polish.

CareBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Both look gorgeous but I picked WG because the stone is E colored.

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
I picked yellow because it will highlight the marquise shape whereas white gold will kind of blend in. Imo, marquise is a special shape and you want to really see it, particularly when it's set e-w. When set n-s, it's a bit more obvious that it's a marquise. Not sure if I'm making sense. Just my two cents. :)

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think if you choose YG that it would look best with white gold prongs, especially since you will be putting an E in the setting. So I am advocating a third option!! :wavey:
I didnt vote because I think both wg and yg is nice! I never wear white metal so for me personally the choice would be obvious, but I like wg on others and this ring looks lovely in WG.
Happy problem to have! :appl:

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
aca|1465998789|4044280 said:
I think if you choose YG that it would look best with white gold prongs, especially since you will be putting an E in the setting. So I am advocating a third option!! :wavey:
I didnt vote because I think both wg and yg is nice! I never wear white metal so for me personally the choice would be obvious, but I like wg on others and this ring looks lovely in WG.
Happy problem to have! :appl:

This is more or less what I was going to say, love yellow gold but think the "E" would look fab with white metal prongs!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's kind of an Edwardian influenced style, and those were pretty much in platinum. So I voted platinum (wg) for that reason as well as because the diamond is E color. However, if you are not adding milgrain to try to make it look more modern, I guess yg will be okay. My issue about yellow gold is that it definitely goes out of style and was out of style for maybe 20 years up to fairly recently. Platinum never goes out of style in vintage style pieces (although I did read somewhere that you prefer classic over vintage, but this ring is a vintage design). That would be my biggest concern, personally, about setting a diamond in yellow gold.

I love the design, though, and am saving it for inspiration! :appl:

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think YG would work, and the completed ring would be beautiful.

But, I think going with Platinum in this setting with these diamonds would result in a synergistic masterpiece, i.e., all components uniting to become more than the sum of its parts.

Still, either way you'll have a gorgeous ring, so perhaps choose whichever metal you regard as both timeless (assuming you won't want to re-set in the future) and pleasing to your eye/skin.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Everyone is making fantastic points for each metal color. The poll is 50/50 :lol: :lol: :lol: What are you guys trying to do? Drive me to buy TWO rings?!?!?! :whistle:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I voted white metal -- can't wait to see this ring!!! :love:

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the idea of yellow gold with white prongs.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like both, with a slight edge to the YG.

Incidentally, gold is classic and I don't agree that it goes out of style. Certain ring styles of the '80s might be out of style today, but YG is always a true classic. In other countries especially, it's basically the only metal anyone wears!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In my opinion the white looks antique. The yellow gold is nice,and I love yellow gold, but the overall look is given a more deco vibe with white gold. It has an overall elegance that for whatever reason doesn't come across in yellow gold.

drk14

Brilliant_Rock
Why not split the difference and do an unplated white gold? :tongue: (only half kidding)

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
YG, more contrast, the center stone just pops and my eyes can see the delicate design easier.
YG has a richness to it that WG does not have.

As far as a metal being in or out of style, who cares.

I have YG, WG, and platinum jewelry.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:appl: :appl: :appl: And the winner is, YELLOW GOLD!!! :appl: :appl: :appl: with prongs rhodiumed white. That way, if i DO want yellow prongs instead, I have that option as a backup! THANK YOU guys for voting in the poll and for your wonderful insights!!!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I obvious missed the vote but I was going to say yellow because the stone will pop and you already have a lovely
wg or plat ring (avatar).

Fulvia

Shiny_Rock
I also missed the vote but would have gone YG too! Yayyyy fabulous choice! Can't wait to see the finished product. You are having a monumental diamond year, PintoBean. Kudos

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results