shape
carat
color
clarity

Ideas for setting Tsavorite earrings

InToTheMystic

Shiny_Rock
Hi all,

After a visit to a gem show on the weekend, I received a lovely birthday present from my fiance of two sweet little Tsavorites that I'd like to have made in to earrings. (I also picked up a charming emerald cluster ring, but I'll save that one for a different post).

They aren't big, being approximately 7mm x 5mm, with a 3.5mm depth - I don't have the exact carat weight, but I'm guessing around 0.8 to 0.9 each? Happy to stand corrected on that one. They have a moderately large tilt window which you can certainly see in the pic below, but from front on it is barely noticeable in person (except in close-up photos, for some irritating reason). They never lose the green colour even when held up to the light, but the difference in colour gradation is slightly noticeable. Their small size will mean that you can't really tell they're windowed unless you have your face pressed up against my earlobe, which would be a whole other awkward conversation entirely.

The colour is a rich medium-dark kelly green, but with no meaningful blue in it as far as I can tell. They don't have those incredible Aurora Borealis-style flashes of green lightning that you see in some tsavs, but they are very green, and very sparkly, and I think they are just lovely and that I need to stop constantly pulling them out of the safe and twinkling them in the sunlight. I am also more than happy to overlook their faults considering we paid waaaaay under market price - this gives me a bit more play room for the settings.

So...on to the earring planning!

I have quite small earlobes that are quite close to my head, and would like to avoid post style earrings as they have a tendency to scratch the wiggins out of the patch of skin behind my ear.

I don't want to make these incredibly fancy diamond encrusted masterpieces, because then I will simply never get to wear them. I would also like them reasonably close to the ear rather than an elongated drop. I already have a jade and emerald drop set, and a beautiful marquisite and garnet briolette long dangle set, that I regrettably barely wear as they are just too fancy.

I also have dark hair at the moment so they will probably need 'something' around them, to make them stand out a bit. I am willing to entertain the introduction of other stones, as long as it stays subtle and elegant. I can't do yellow gold (it makes me look jaundiced), so I'm realistically looking at either white gold or argentium silver.

I quite like this style below, but I am concerned that it would make the window issues more pronounced.

I would love the opinions of the experts here on how to show off these little green darlings to best effect. Any ideas?

tsavs_afternoon_sun.jpg

bezel_garnets.jpg

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy birthday! What a great present. I like what you have in mind. I also like Fly Girl's moonstone earrings which are also oval. Not sure how to post the thread so you can search her posts for New Blue Moonstone Earrings. She has lots of great pics. I don't know how either setting would impact the tilt window so hopefully the experts will chime in.

_5419.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
kgizo|1365987374|3426931 said:
Happy birthday! What a great present. I like what you have in mind. I also like Fly Girl's moonstone earrings which are also oval. Not sure how to post the thread so you can search her posts for New Blue Moonstone Earrings. She has lots of great pics. I don't know how either setting would impact the tilt window so hopefully the experts will chime in.
Thank you so much for the compliment, kgizo.

Here is the link. [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/new-blue-moonstone-earrings.174465/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/new-blue-moonstone-earrings.174465/[/URL]

InToTheMystic

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Fly Girl - your moonstones are stunning!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In general, an open bezel lets in a lot of light which makes any window issues more prominent. However, since they are at your ears and you have dark hair, my guess is that this effect will not be easily seen.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I agree with Chrono. They'd look good bezeled as in both posted examples, which are very nice -- maybe a milgrain bezel would be pretty.

--- Laurie

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I have a pair of blue sapphires similar in size to your tsavs, and I had them bezeled and made into drops to hang from small hoop earrings. The hoops were in platinum, and I had the drops bezeled in palladium to save cost and weight.

If you go this route, you should get the hoops first and then have the drops fitted to them. The nice thing here is I use one pair of earrings and I have lots of different drops for them.

BTW, I wouldn't worry about windows in earrings, especially if you go for a setting where you get a lot of movement. The bright green color will be all that will be seen.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results