shape
carat
color
clarity

Ideas for East-West set Marquise

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a marquise that I reallly want to put into an East-West setting. If any of you have yours in an E-W setting or have any pics can you post them. I am looking for ideas.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
''seen this?
38.gif

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think Jazmine has one of the nicest east-west marquise rings that I''ve EVER seen. It''s stunning. Sorry I don''t have a pic but you can do a Search for it.

widget

Ideal_Rock
I know this has been posted before, but I can't resist. It's my all-time favorite mounting for a marquise. I've saved this pic just in case someday a fabulous marq gemstone passes my way!
5.gif
I love its simplicity..

For more bling, I suppose one could add a halo, or pave the mounting...

widget

M85III.jpg

widget

Ideal_Rock
By the way....I agree that Jazmine''s ring is to die for.... Jazmine, do you get a zillion compliments on it??? I bet you do!!
30.gif

Here it is:

PJazm0045.jpg

Small

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/20/2006 11:40:37 AM
Author: widget
By the way....I agree that Jazmine''s ring is to die for.... Jazmine, do you get a zillion compliments on it??? I bet you do!!
30.gif

Here it is:
I agree with that...it''s stunning
30.gif
30.gif

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jazmine,
I love your ring. I just saw that yours is a 2 ct. I was worried mine might be too big for that design but it''s only a 1 ct.

Valeria101
I didn''t see any picture, did you post one?

Widget,
I have been looking at that one too, I also have a light yellow marquise I thought I might use that design with.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock

widget which setting is that?

I have a friend who is looking for a marquis right now for an E/W engagement ring setting. She''s more focused on finding the stone, but I''m keeping my eye out for a setting for her.

Val....is there a way for you to work some magic on the setting that widget posted but without a bezel/halo around teh stone itself? she wants a solitaire e/w with cathedral arms like in that picture, reaching up to hold the stone, and then i thought it''d be great if the cathedral arms turned into prongs to hold the stone.

Is it possible? I don''t know if it exists out there but if you can do a mockup I can email it to her!!

widget

Ideal_Rock
Val....is there a way for you to work some magic on the setting that widget posted but without a bezel/halo around teh stone itself?
....and while you''re at it, could you tell Mara where that setting came from? I "borrowed" it from one of your old posts!
9.gif

widget

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/20/2006 2:04:47 PM
Author: Mara

without a bezel/halo around teh stone itself? she wants a solitaire e/w with cathedral arms like in that picture, reaching up to hold the stone, and then i thought it'd be great if the cathedral arms turned into prongs to hold the stone.

Is it possible? I don't know if it exists out there but if you can do a mockup I can email it to her!!

Found bigger picture for you Mara, is this the one?
From here.

MarquiseforMara232.jpg

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Also photospeculation for RC D.Vatche for EW marquise.

RCMarqforMara.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
oooh that vatche one is interesting...i know she wants simple but maybe some side basket detail like that would intrigue her...

the first one you posted irina, can you turn those prong things to claws? i was thinking it''d be sweet if the shoulders came up and then turned into claws to hold the stone. just daydreaming here!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am afraid the setting was drawn from scratch
7.gif
... so beyond providing more precise detail in case someone wants it made, I can't give a source.

It was intended as a one -piece bezel with a thin band - but the shading came out a bit awkward, probably this is why it looks like a cathedral band to you, Mara.

... thinking of reised ends of the band reaching the stone - these came up first hand:

At Sholdt design:

RC279.jpg

... and James Allen - the hand picture of this one! (LINK)

For me, the one from David Keeling posted by Irina is the mother of all marquise settings for now.
30.gif
Wonder how it might look for a larger marquise.

If custom is in order, perhaps I'd do a more revolutionary underside for the setting than these two.
10.gif

One thing I wouldn't do is have prongs or any other bit of setting (aside a full bezel, of course) touching the stone on the 'bow-tie' area. This may not be always a problem, but more often than not, those bits reflect inside the stone which doesn't make a pretty sight at all.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/20/2006 12:28:12 PM
Author: autumngems

Valeria101
I didn''t see any picture, did you post one?
Oups...

it was meant to be a link to a recent thread: LINK

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMO, this one should look even better with less ''sugar coating'' and a smaller stone - since the lines of the ring are so charmingly clean
5.gif

Link to source

AOPMQ.JPG

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Doesn''t this last setting from Art of Platinum remind you of Whitney Boin''s ''post'' rings? A very sweetened version, that is.

If you wonder what this setting might look like with less than 10 cts (?) in it...

4.gif

AOPMQ_modi.JPG

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Val has mentioned marquise being a bit "touchy on the ''bow-tie'' area"
31.gif
, but i would not go wild around it''s points too.

So Mara - as "claws" as it gets - even virtually.

BigGreenMarquise.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh i like that last one irina...verra nice!!!

the claws were just an idea...she is looking at about a 1.3c marquis so it would be a substantial length i think on a finger...so simple is good.

*gasp* ana that LM creation is just to die for but i would never want to wear that on my finger. i''d be too freaked out about damaging it. but stunning.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Any (other) Whitney Boin fans around?

The version of this for a round stone is listed at Pearlman''s. Can''t see too many reasons why a version for a marquise couldn''t be done as long as the setup has been deemed safe for a round.
5.gif

AfterWhitneyBoin.JPG

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/20/2006 6:11:22 PM
Author: Mara

*gasp* ana that LM creation is just to die for but i would never want to wear that on my finger. i''d be too freaked out about damaging it. but stunning.

I''m with you on that one...

Would rather keep a minimum of pave on the bezel (or maybe just have the prongs tipped with small diamonds?), but definitely not on the shank for a frequent-wear ring.

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
I really like that pave one valeria! So unique!

Autumngems, you can definitely set a 1 carat east-west. I have seen a 7 carat set that way!

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Widget and Valeria101,

Where did you find that bezel set setting? I like that one a lot

I love the James Allen too, it''s so pretty.

Thanks for that other link I saw the one from Fay Cullen and I adore that one also

Keep those pics coming

MAchick

Rough_Rock
I''m in the mdist of getting my inherited 1ct marquise set in a custom E-W setting for my ering! Got one set of CAD drawings but they weren''t exactly what I wanted, so I''m anxiously awaiting my next set now that my jeweler and I are on the same page about what I want.

But looking at all these gorgeous rings is making me excited all over again - I love the E-W setting!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/21/2006 9:12:10 AM
Author: autumngems

Widget and Valeria101,

Where did you find that bezel set setting? I like that one a lot

It is a drawing (i.e. made up, photoshopped...) - I do not know if something exactly like it is available ready made anywhere. It could be a simple custom piece if you wanted.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results