shape
carat
color
clarity

Idealscope: colors meaning?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Bdoggy

Rough_Rock
I am confused about the colors the idealscope reveals.

I was looking at a very well cut AGS 1/HCA 1.8 cut diamond. Instead of red throughout, it was pink; intead of black arrows, they were grey. Can someone interpret?

What is the difference between red/pink and black/grey? I saw very little specs of white or very light pink. The color was uniformly pink, but not a dark pink or red.

Please explain.

CP

Rough_Rock
Different models of the idealscope show slightly different primary shades of pink when used, the professional model is a lighter shade than the production model.
Also the photographs you see on the website and posted in various other places are affected by the camera settings and lighting environments the shot was taken in.
The main point is that it is not the colour that matters but the balance of colours you see in the stone.
Find the strongest region of pink in the stone (typically this is the area of the kite facets - see facet map http://www.ideal-scope.com/facetmap.asp).
Use this strongest pink colour as your reference against all other pink colour in the stone. Are there paler areas, are they significantly paler or just marginally paler? How much of the stone is close to the strongest pink colour and how much is slightly paler or much paler, or totally white?
Use these assessments to judge your stone.
The best stones are a consistenet pink colour all over or only have very slight differences in colour. We view pale areas through the centre of the stone as being more detrimental than small pale areas around the girdle (outer edge).
Re grey stars vs black stars.
This is something we are still investigating and an area we are seeking to improve in our scopes. We do not believe grey stars are particularly detrimental to your stones beauty and are probably more a result of the particular stone/scope relationship. You should find that if you viewed the stone through a hearts and arrows viewer that the stars would be clearly visible (they won't necessarily be perfect arrows shape but they should be in evidence).

Please ensure that you use the optimal viewing environment when assessing your stone -
Tape a piece of paper to the front of a lamp(flouro light is best). This acts as a diffuser giving an even light. View from a distance of 5-10cm/2-4in back from the paper. You can also apply this technique to a day lit window for excellent results.

You can see the full how to use document at
http://www.ideal-scope.com/howto.asp

I hope this reply has been helpful :)

Sincerely
CP

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results