shape
carat
color
clarity

Idealscope a marketing gimmick?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

gladyskristen

Brilliant_Rock
I was considering getting my setting and diamond from McGivern, so i asked Michael McGivern if he is able to show me photographs and idealscope images of the stone i''m interested in. His reply was that he don''t photograph diamonds cos they all LOOK THE SAME in photos, and they don''t use idealscope cos it''s not accepted in the industry and is all a MARKETING GIMMICK! Is it just me or does anyone else also feel tt i shud just give them a miss?
38.gif

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
do you think they all look the same?

icemyster

Shiny_Rock
Hi Gladyskristen...

The ideal scope and other forms of it, sometimes called red reflectors are definately not a marketing gimmick....They are very useful ind etermining the light return of a diamond...

Certainily all diamonds do not look the same through the idealscope. There are differences, some that are major and some that are minor. These differences can relate to both eye visible differences in the diamond and non eye visible differences in the diamond.

Being a buyer for a PS Vender, I never consider a diamond without seeing it through some type of red reflector like the idealscope. There is a lot of information here on PS about Idealscope and some also on different vendors sites....also I am sure that Garry will be along to give you a very through explination of the technology, and I am not here to steal his thunder, just to encourage you that the idealscope is not a hoax, but a very good tool for selecting a beautiful diamond.

Good luck in your diamond search!

gladyskristen

Brilliant_Rock
OF COS NOT! They have so much personality tt you can name them! I think i actually already haf my answer. No McGivern for me. I don't agree with the way they work. They said tt following the GIA cut grade is the most reliable way to go, but my heart just won't rest til i've seen the photos and the idealscope images.
15.gif

Guess i'm just looking for some reassurance.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Totally not a gimmick! Have you seen the horrible light return of some diamonds that otherwise look great? It''s one thing for a vendor not to have them easily, it''s another for them to try and convince you it''s all a marketing gimmick.

Go somewhere else.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think you already know the answer. He doesn''t photog diamonds because they ALL look the same in photos? I mean, you can stop right there.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
okay....

MWG

Brilliant_Rock
If a diamond dealer is afraid to photograph or idealscope his diamonds, then he is selling inferior cut diamonds....PERIOD!!!! I would search else where and tell him why you are searching other places. If his product was great, he would have no problem showing it to you to get you to buy it.

Just my 2 cents

Good Luck
MWG

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/12/2007 2:53:21 PM
Author: FireGoddess
I think you already know the answer. He doesn''t photog diamonds because they ALL look the same in photos? I mean, you can stop right there.
Maybe all his do, and maybe they dun look so hot.
9.gif

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/12/2007 2:37:55 PM
Author: gladyskristen
OF COS NOT! They have so much personality tt you can name them! I think i actually already haf my answer. No McGivern for me. I don''t agree with the way they work. They said tt following the GIA cut grade is the most reliable way to go, but my heart just won''t rest til i''ve seen the photos and the idealscope images.
15.gif

Guess i''m just looking for some reassurance.
If they believe gIA''s grading system is the way to go - then kindly ask them to read this exchange of letters to the editor between the GIA''s cut Experts, and the group that I am part of.
http://journal.pricescope.com/Articles/50/1/Letter-to-the-Editor-of-the-Australian-Gemmologist.aspx

And if they would like to try lining up a few stones from best to worst - by naked eye in a few different lightings - then check them with an ideal-scope - they might be surprised

On the other hand it might be a market killing gimmick for what they market?

(an ask them if AGS iws crazy to base their grading on ASET images?)

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
There are plenty of old school dinosaurs who refuse to join the modern world.

As old school dinosaurs of the past, they will either catch on and advance, or die out.

The Idealscope and other reflector technology cuts through a lot of mumbo-jumbo and red-tape regarding cut technlogy. It lets you see with your own two eyes how a stone performs regarding light return performance.

I use the Idealscope with every diamond I appraise. The AGS ASET scope is also a nice reflector technology which coordinates with the Idealscope. A shame they didn''t give Garry credit where credit is due.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results