shape
carat
color
clarity

ideal diamond setted in a common ring "keep cool ;-)"

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Nicolas

Rough_Rock
It's just a question,

I m French.
I see big hole between European site and American concerning diamond education.
American sites provide a sum of informations about diamond cut, especialy ideal cut
Before having found my diamond, I talked about with french diamond sellers and they often said
that ideal is an american concept of marketing as well as the laser inscription or GIA renom
I have bought a 0.6 round with a 61.5% table!!! You have well seen : it's far from ideal cut
But it doesnt matter because it looks very good, much better than ideal cut i saw.
I dont have laser inscription and dont want it because i dont want any advertisement on a symbol of eternity.
I dont have GIA report because it doesnt provide more info than other (it may increase price even if diamaond is poor)
but my diamond is not investment, it s for the one i want! dont care about resale value
I just bought a diamond which looks nice

And what i dont understand is :
Why buying ideal (and often big) expensive gems and setting them in a common ring which all people have?
Dont you think that rings doesnt need to be as beautiful as your diamond? and rare?

It's just a question, dont hit me
21.gif

Edit : sorry for the error on the title : it's "...diamond set in a..."

dtexan

Rough_Rock
And what i dont understand is :
Why buying ideal (and often big) expensive gems and setting them in a common ring which all people have?
Dont you think that rings doesnt need to be as beautiful as your diamond? and rare?

What makes you think that one doesn''t find the setting they buy beautiful? Maybe it''s not pretty to you but they might love it! Just as you find your diamond to be beautiful another person might think it''s not upto par.

If you are happy with your diamond then that''s great, why are you concerned about how others choose their diamonds?

outlander

Rough_Rock
I buy what I like, ideal or not. Also, I think the majority of Americans do not buy ideal diamonds. Most don''t know there is a difference. If you want to talk about marketing, it''s the "4 C''s". Even if you know nothing about diamonds, you know about the "4 C''s".
However, when you come to a place where most of the talk is about diamonds (here) you will find a different group of people with a different prespective on them. A prespective that goes beyond what all of the mass marketing is about.
As for the setting, I have seen many different and unique ones that are made to compliment the diamond. No, there aren''t alot of contemporary styles, but it''s a very personal decision. I wear what I like, popular or unpopular.
So, I''m wondering, since your diamond isn''t "ideal" is it set in a common setting? It''s just a question.

Nicolas

Rough_Rock

What makes you think that one doesn''t find the setting they buy beautiful? Maybe it''s not pretty to you but they might love it! Just as you find your diamond to be beautiful another person might think it''s not upto par.
If you are happy with your diamond then that''s great, why are you concerned about how others choose their diamonds?

Sorry but I was sure that some would have reply like you!
I m not judging what is beautifull or not but i m asking why most of people here are putting more importance on how and which diamond choosing than in the ring itself

Libster

Brilliant_Rock
Bonjour Nicolas,
That''s about all I remember from French Class
9.gif

My diamond is far from ideal, but it''s ideal to me! It''s a warm "I" with a SI2 rating, and yes there is a black spot which I''ve come to love and often play "find the spot" when admiring my ring. As far as settings go, I''m not sure what your real question is. Everyone wants a setting that reflects who they are so you might find flashy or not so flashy, depending on the individual. What type of setting do you have? Would love to see it.

Nicolas

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/20/2005 10:55:38 AM
Author: Avalon
So, I''m wondering, since your diamond isn''t ''ideal'' is it set in a common setting? It''s just a question.
I understand what you mean. The ring is under construction by a jeweler and is not common. BUT, not common because of the choice of my girlfriend!
I prefered classic setting like the real Tiffany 6 prongs.
1.gif

I m only asking if We are not educated by marketing too much?

dtexan

Rough_Rock

Yeah couldn''t disappoint you :)

I m not judging what is beautifull or not but i m asking why most of people here are putting more importance on how and which diamond choosing than in the ring itself

I don''t think people give it any less importance. It''s a two-step process. First you try to find the best diamond you can for your budget, who wouldnt! Then you search for a setting you think would be most pretty to show your diamond. That said, the choices differ from this point. Some people love the simple solitaire, some love side stones, pave etc. I think i spent equal time deciding on which diamond and which setting to pick. I don''t think anyone would pick a beautiful diamond and decide that''s it i''ll just set into anything ''cause i''ve spent enough time on this. I think the setting is important and you can see how much time people spend finding settings just by reading some of the posts.
1.gif

Libster

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/20/2005 11
6.gif
9:22 AM
Author: Avantika

Yeah couldn''t disappoint you :)

I don''t think people give it any less importance. It''s a two-step process. First you try to find the best diamond you can for your budget, who wouldnt! Then you search for a setting you think would be most pretty to show your diamond. That said, the choices differ from this point. Some people love the simple solitaire, some love side stones, pave etc. I think i spent equal time deciding on which diamond and which setting to pick. I don''t think anyone would pick a beautiful diamond and decide that''s it i''ll just set into anything ''cause i''ve spent enough time on this. I think the setting is important and you can see how much time people spend finding settings just by reading some of the posts.
1.gif
If I hadn''t been there with hubby for the ring purchase that is just what he would have done..."that''s it i''ll just set into anything cause i''ve spent enought time on this." LOL He really can''t understand what all the fuss is over "bling"!
11.gif

Nicolas

Rough_Rock
6.gif
1:51 AM
Author: Libster
Bonjour Nicolas,
9.gif

If i said "i''m french" it''s not for hearing this kind of reply but for showing that there a difference concerning DIAMOND

I don''t care about what you think knowing about 60 millions of people
4.gif
(I can''t do it myself)
I don''t critize anybody or country! right?

I m just asking about diamond and settings

Concerning the ring, it is hard to show it here because it''s not ready yet
2.gif

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Hello Nicolas.

I think there are many people in America who feel the same way you do. However, this website is for people who like to learn about the science and measurements of diamonds.

Ideal cut: There are measurements that are proven to have reliable visual results. It is well known that there are beautiful diamonds that may not be ideal cut. Some people just like to know all the specifics (especially when buying on the internet) while others will rely on their eyes alone.

Laser inscription doesn’t have anything to with the cut of a diamond. It’s just something that has been made available to people. Some people want an inscription. Some people don’t.

The GIA is changing their system to provide more information on cut to the public. There are other labs (AGS especially) that already provide this information to those who want it. One value of these reports is that they help people have a basis for comparison on the internet or in other places where you cannot see the diamonds side by side. Another value is that many people like to have a “pedigree” for such a large investment. Again, some people want them. Some people don’t.

It is all very personal – just as the setting is.

You are correct. The simple solitaire tradition is common in America for a first ring. I believe many people buy a simple setting for an engagement ring because it is what they can afford, or because they don’t know exactly what their future spouse will like best yet.

In any event, it is all very personal (just like which wine people prefer, yes?)
emcocktl.gif

I hope these thoughts are helpful.
1.gif

outlander

Rough_Rock
Of course we are affected by marketing. It can be a negative affect as well though. I don''t know how far reaching (to France?) the DeBeers 3-stone marketing concept is, but I can tell you that because of it and the sudden saturation of 3-stone rings, I will not buy a ring with 3 diamonds! I like diamonds and there are many fine looking 3-stone rings, but I won''t buy one now because that''s all you hear about.
Anyway, I do hope we get to see your ring after it''s done!

Nicolas

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/20/2005 11:15:42 AM
Author: JohnQuixote

Hello Nicolas.

I think there are many people in America who feel the same way you do. However, this website is for people who like to learn about the science and measurements of diamonds.

Ideal cut: There are measurements that are proven to have reliable visual results. It is well known that there are beautiful diamonds that may not be ideal cut. Some people just like to know all the specifics (especially when buying on the internet) while others will rely on their eyes alone.

Laser inscription doesn’t have anything to with the cut of a diamond. It’s just something that has been made available to people. Some people want an inscription. Some people don’t.

The GIA is changing their system to provide more information on cut to the public. There are other labs (AGS especially) that already provide this information to those who want it. One value of these reports is that they help people have a basis for comparison on the internet or in other places where you cannot see the diamonds side by side. Another value is that many people like to have a “pedigree” for such a large investment. Again, some people want them. Some people don’t.

It is all very personal – just as the setting is.

You are correct. The simple solitaire tradition is common in America for a first ring. I believe many people buy a simple setting for an engagement ring because it is what they can afford, or because they don’t know exactly what their future spouse will like best yet.

In any event, it is all very personal (just like which wine people prefer, yes?)
emcocktl.gif

I hope these thoughts are helpful.
1.gif

There are John
1.gif

but i think that somebody have forgotten it''s only a symbol (even if diamonds are very beautifull for most of us)
and pedigree mean nothing (after purchasing of course)
5.gif

My impressions when I read topics are that sometimes people buy a pedigree.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
You are correct Nicolas, except that the pedigree does have meaning to some people - but there is nothing wrong with that.

There are many opinions and many personalities. Think about watches. Some people want an expensive watch or a name brand like Rolex. Others don't need a name brand, but they search for a watch with a guarantee of quality...And other people just want one that will tell them the time (a symbol of timekeeping)
2.gif

I am one of those people who is fascinated by both the beauty and the measurements of a diamond - which is why I am involved.

We have had many discussions on this forum like this one. One that comes to mind is this one (click for link) asking about whether diamonds are seen as symbols of love or symbols of status.

There are many opinions and many sets of values.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/20/2005 11:13:59 AM
Author: Nicolas

6.gif
Bonjour Nicolas,
That's about all I remember from French Class
9.gif

If i said 'i'm french' it's not for hearing this kind of reply but for showing that there a difference concerning DIAMOND

I don't care about what you think knowing about 60 millions of people
4.gif
(I can't do it myself)
I don't critize anybody or country! right?

Concerning the ring, it is hard to show it here because it's not ready yet
2.gif
Nicolas,
Libster was trying to be friendly when she posted a greeting in your language. She was imlying nothing about your people or your country. In getting offended you are implying that you think you know the mindset of a country of 300 million. Relax please. To each his own. I won't offend you by trying to speak to you French lest I get it wrong and offend you again. Being an American, I am pleased when foreigners attempt to speak to me in my native language, so I won't be offended by your mistakes in English.
9.gif

Concerning diamonds and what setting, it is all a matter of what is important to the buyer- no? Some people like their plain settings even if there are many, many of them out there. They are all unique and special to the wearer. Those who buy ideal cut diamonds usually do so because they are typically the most brilliant and sparkly. If they compared their ideal cuts to an average cut diamond, they should be able to see a difference- that is what they are after -"better than just average" even if average is nice to look at.

A GIA inscription is not an advertisement but rather a means of identification, much like the vin number on an automobile.

fortheloveofdiamonds

Brilliant_Rock

6.gif
Bonjour Nicolas,
9.gif

If i said ''i''m french'' it''s not for hearing this kind of reply but for showing that there a difference concerning DIAMOND

4.gif
(I can''t do it myself)

2.gif
Nicolas,

Don''t get your panties in a bunch. Libster was not trying to criticize you or your country, she was merely being polite and recognizing your culture. I myself am French and appreciate when people "try" to communicate with me in my native tongue. Don''t be so sensitive.

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
Getting a GIA cert (or some other respected cert) helps me when I go get my ring insured. The more numbers I have to back it up, the less chance the insurance company can try and fob off some crappy diamond on me if it ever needs to be replaced. The same explanation goes for the lasere inscription and ideal cut specs I guess.

Nicolas

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/20/2005 11:52:11 AM
Author: pearcrazy
Nicolas,
Libster was trying to be friendly when she posted a greeting in your language. She was imlying nothing about your people or your country. In getting offended you are implying that you think you know the mindset of a country of 300 million.It has never been the subject so I won''t be offended by your mistakes in Engllish.
9.gif

you''re so pleased
2.gif

Concerning diamonds and what setting, it is all a matter of what is important to the buyer- no? Some people like their plain settings even if there are many, many of them out there. They are all unique and special to the wearer. Those who buy ideal cut diamonds usually do so because they are tipically the most brilliant and sparkly.
Yes I know, and I dont judge the choice (and anything!)
But I find that people often put more attention in diamond than in setting. Maybe I m wrong
33.gif

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
Yes I know, and I dont judge the choice (and anything!)You seem to be judging the choice to me!
But I find that people often put more attention in diamond than in setting. Maybe I m wrong You are not wrong, but you must realize that since the diamond usually costs much more than the setting that people put lots attention into such a costly purchase.

I fixed my typographical errors for you, thanks for pointing them out. They are errors in typing and not spelling, however.
emotion-5.gif

Nicolas

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/20/2005 12:11:35 PM
Author: pearcrazy
I fixed my typographical errors for you, thanks for pointing them out. They are errors in typing and not spelling however.
emotion-5.gif
Just kidding
2.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don''t think a diamond can tell which side of the Atlantic it is sitting on
2.gif

There are such things as the "Antwerp cut" and the cut grading of HRD... both ranked by the same principle as the AGS ideal (range of crown and pavilion angles that is) only the standards are looser. Tolkowsky was not American either... only it so happen that most diamonds are bought in the US so there''s bound to be more competition and stricter standards to go with it and more mass production (e.g. those ring settings).

Anyway, don''t think 62% table makes a diamond butt ugly - it does take more than that...
34.gif

Meaning... I don''t really see the problem
33.gif

Libster

Brilliant_Rock

6.gif
Bonjour Nicolas,
9.gif

If i said ''i''m french'' it''s not for hearing this kind of reply but for showing that there a difference concerning DIAMOND

4.gif
(I can''t do it myself)

2.gif
Nicolas,
I meant no offense to you at all and apologize if you were offended by my greeting.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results