shape
carat
color
clarity

Ideal and Standard Cut face up appearance

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Acclaim

Rough_Rock
I brought my mother ring to a store to compare it against a AGS ideal cut stone. My mother stone is just a regular stone. When view in difused daylight the ideal stone look brighter (whiter) but when in a store with no windows and tonnes of halogen pot lights the AGS ideal stone sparkles like hell. No supprise here because my mother ring is just a standard (or even poor) cut.

However, I notice that AGS ideal stone have a dark blue, purple color. Although it is much sparklier, it look darker in strong store lighting. The salesperson says that is good and took the diamonds outside to show me that in difused daylight, her AGS ideal diamond is brighter and only appear dark because if its intense fire and light return.

Is this true. Can someone explain this please.

Thanks,

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
It is likely that a well cut diamonds body color will be darker in a spot lit environment ***becuase*** the brighter bigger flashes stand out in stronger contrast and cause our pupils to dilate (get smaller).

Another reason is that when the light in an area is from point sources, and say there is little general flood lighhting, the only factes returning light will be maybe 5 or 10 that are directing light from those point sources.
To experiance this have a look at any diamond in direct sunlight - stand with the sun coming from behind you, and do not quite have your head shaodow on the diamond. it will have a few very strong facets and the rest is almost black, no matter how well cut the stone.

NewYorker

Shiny_Rock
I'm glad I came across this thread. My diamond looks darker too than the ideal cut CZ I got. Is this one of the ways CZs are easy to spot?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Those CZ's run 9.7 on I-See2 and off the scale almost on brilliancescope
1.gif

But they do not look as bright as diamonds, just lighter /whiter.

Machines can not see like we can because they have no mind.

(They are a bit blonde?)
ohhho

limey

Shiny_Rock
Sorry to dig up old, old thread but I noticed the same with my (as Ideal cut as a square can be) Jubilee. When peering in to the Jubilee it looks dark blue, steel blue rather than white - is this normal? Why is this?

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Oh no...Andrew I think your stone is defective. That's OK, I'll buy it off you for a dollar...
11.gif
9.gif

looks like you Jubilee has some serious precision cuts going on, and i think Gary explained it best...anyone else care to comment on my (oops, I mean Andrew's) Jubilee...

GlitterGal

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 4/27/2004 6:41:48 PM Nicrez wrote:

Oh no...Andrew I think your stone is defective. That's OK, I'll buy it off you for a dollar...
11.gif
9.gif
----------------

LOL!
9.gif
I'll double Nicrez' offer and bid $2.
wacko.gif

Kindest regards always,
Linda
wavey.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results