carat
color
clarity

ID help for vintage bracelet.

Reproduction or original?

• Total voters

Ceff

Rough_Rock
I recently picked up this bracelet for my birthday from a very reputable jewelry store I’ve been shopping with for 10 years at their annual estate clearance sale. They certified solid 14k gold and opal but I’m hoping someone might be able to to tell what kind of opal and the era? Someone else said it could be a reproduction so I’m wondering how to tell if it’s repro or original.

87B920FA-821B-491B-BC78-4BED011CF921.jpeg
7101F07B-ED88-4281-9F59-159E83A27C1B.jpeg
8007CC2A-F02C-4223-9C1B-83E5B423DADC.jpeg

Ceff

Rough_Rock
Personally, I have too much that sits in a safe. My advice is to wear it.:kiss2:

Yes, me too! I have so much that sits in the safe I’ve worn it every day since getting it and there’s one chipped stone that they tightened the prong on but I’m just worried about ruining a super old original piece by breaking the prong if it gets caught or something

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, me too! I have so much that sits in the safe I’ve worn it every day since getting it and there’s one chipped stone that they tightened the prong on but I’m just worried about ruining a super old original piece by breaking the prong if it gets caught or something

I don't blame you for not wanting to damage it. I hope it all works out well for you.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The style is Victorian so it could be an actual antique or a more modern reproduction. The Victorian style is so beautiful and elegant it’s hardly any wonder that it has been “repeated”.
The Opals would be either solid Australian crystal opal or if a more modern repro, they could be Welo / Ethiopian Opals.
regardless of its age, the Opals are genuine and it’s a very beautiful piece. Just be aware that Opals are best saved for infrequent wear, they are apt to abraid and chip if clunked about.

Ceff

Rough_Rock
The style is Victorian so it could be an actual antique or a more modern reproduction. The Victorian style is so beautiful and elegant it’s hardly any wonder that it has been “repeated”.
The Opals would be either solid Australian crystal opal or if a more modern repro, they could be Welo / Ethiopian Opals.
regardless of its age, the Opals are genuine and it’s a very beautiful piece. Just be aware that Opals are best saved for infrequent wear, they are apt to abraid and chip if clunked about.

Yeah I know opals are fragile I have other opals too and in one of the comments I mention one is already chipped and the store just bent the prong down over the chip to hold it better. They said it’s be harder to try and match. Thanks for the Victorian clarification and the opal options that helps a lot. My biggest question is still how to tell if it’s a repro or original Victorian sounds like that’s still up in the air.

Eclectic

Rough_Rock
I agree on Victorian. I at first thought repro, but closer look at the filagree and settings makes me think antique that has been over polished. The back and latch could be new. If you can find any hallmarks it would help out in deciding whether antique or not.

Ceff

Rough_Rock
I agree on Victorian. I at first thought repro, but closer look at the filagree and settings makes me think antique that has been over polished. The back and latch could be new. If you can find any hallmarks it would help out in deciding whether antique or not.

That’s great info, sorry for being a noob I collect jewelry but am a layman so what do you mean by hallmark? Will get the loupe out if I know what I’m looking for.

ahoward

Rough_Rock
@Ceff, a hallmark would be any stamp that is on the ring (usually on the inside, the part that faces your skin).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results