shape
carat
color
clarity

Icy’s CS adventures

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
I'll admit that nothing gets my heart pumping faster than when one of us shares a new ruby. I guess that should tell me something about which is my favorite gemstone! Again, your new addition is glorious. I can't wait to see what you ultimately do with it!

I'm a little late to the party here, but I vote, hands down, for this 7-stone design with the traps and epaulettes!! Gorgeous stone!

P.S. My second choice would be a 3-stone design with the traps or even a 5-stone.
984406ju1tuish9n.gif
Just not feeling the rounds with this elongated cushion. How exciting for you (and us)!!

Thank you! I admit that blue sapphires are more my thing but I think this one is special. I don’t usually think of my collection as heirlooms but this ruby qualifies I think.

The local lab thinks that the ruby is a nice color too! Woot. I asked my jeweler to send in to Nanyang lab and Mr Zeng has certed as Vivid Red as well. Yes it already has a GRS cert but GRS can be rather lax on color sometimes and I do trust my eye but it just feels better to get the local lab cert too.

I shall play with the possible configurations once I get it back. So excited.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Popped out for a quick lunch and to collect my ruby:
29372F07-72A7-4998-8C48-CF7004FBF53D.jpeg

Ruby with rubellite below, pinkish red ruby on the right and last one is a spinel. Cloudy day today:
97FA3E90-3011-4498-8D0A-8ECDCC25E35D.jpeg

You have sooooo many reds!!!

Hahaha actually you have so many of many colours but I didn’t realise how many reds you have! And so many rubellites!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
You have sooooo many reds!!!

Hahaha actually you have so many of many colours but I didn’t realise how many reds you have! And so many rubellites!

:P2 Erm, not quite sure how to respond haha. But they are all sort of different. Different rubellite colors, different shapes and sizes. Rubellites can be irresistible as you know.

I actually usually cart along my stones when I am serious about buying. So every new stone that I buy is different from what I already have else I wouldn’t have bought.

Never hide lah, can see all 3 here:
Clearing my annual leave so had some time to play with my rings today! Giving thanks to all I have as I look back at the year and being hopeful for a better 2022.

866737 866739

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:P2 Erm, not quite sure how to respond haha. But they are all sort of different. Different rubellite colors, different shapes and sizes. Rubellites can be irresistible as you know.

I actually usually cart along my stones when I am serious about buying. So every new stone that I buy is different from what I already have else I wouldn’t have bought.

Never hide lah, can see all 3 here:

Omg I love your big spess (big non halo one)! How big is it?

88_star

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Okay that ruby is just gorgeous! Sorry, your other reds don't hold a candle to it lol. So excited to see it set!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Omg I love your big spess (big non halo one)! How big is it?

Thank you! I think just below 5 carats? I can’t quite rem tbh.

Okay that ruby is just gorgeous! Sorry, your other reds don't hold a candle to it lol. So excited to see it set!

Thank you! I was browsing some old pics where I had the rubellite next to other rubies and the rubellite actually looked better than the ruby. But this ruby makes the same rubellite look bad. Maybe that’s why I was so smitten? I mean quite a few of the other rubies are actually certified as pigeon blood (can’t recall which labs though) and this one is not but I really like the shade of red. Maybe it’s like what they say, that the stone looks for the owner and this one was meant to be mine.

Was moaning to my jeweller about the price and lack of fluorescence again when I popped by to collect the ruby and felt a bit a better after he told me the market prices for Burmese pigeon bloods. So ok.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Some of the past rubies I’ve seen and wasn’t smitten enough to buy…

822224 822222 822223 822220

Rubies have been on my mind quite a bit recently... random snaps of various ones I’ve tried. All unheated. From various locations - Burmese, Thai, Tanzania, and of course Mozambique. Can you tell which from where based on the color?

A7031143-0088-4283-BC1F-E99A4BF76371.jpeg

Above is my red rubellite with a 3ct ruby. I mean irl clearly tourmalines and rubies behave differently under different lighting types and I don’t think rubellite can beat a top of the range ruby. But for the price, and if you like red, really quite “bang for the buck” so to speak.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Lazy Saturday morning…

Mulling over unset items… ruby and SOC mabes
2D96FD1E-25A7-4900-9806-5B2DAE82343C.jpeg

Possible combinations?
9A81E53D-1EA6-49A3-BB67-E0E44891EB91.jpeg 886ED17A-F101-4B91-9C76-83785AFBAE3C.jpeg 0EE024E0-5A16-4F53-B159-C7B5BAB02F12.jpeg

Possibly how it looks on finger
32278788-71C6-4589-85FC-CEBABD377EB2.jpeg

Looking at ruby again and spotting what I thought is some fluorescence
6908B02D-5E26-4C5C-8656-59022C501A84.jpeg

Under the piano
8DCBB2AF-6673-4026-91B4-511A4A42D248.jpeg

With UV light
85EB68EE-1B67-4DF5-BD69-61FEA56D5CAB.jpeg

So yes there is some fluoro…

@yssie cos SOCs

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This whole spread must be a red fluorescence spectacle under UV :love:

You really do need to set your mabes :bigsmile: They’re SO beautiful and unique, and other people’s loose stones make me angsty :lol:

Love everything about this including the fact that your fingers are long enough to pull it off!!

That ruby… :shock::kiss2:

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock
Lazy Saturday morning…

Mulling over unset items… ruby and SOC mabes
2D96FD1E-25A7-4900-9806-5B2DAE82343C.jpeg

Possible combinations?
9A81E53D-1EA6-49A3-BB67-E0E44891EB91.jpeg 886ED17A-F101-4B91-9C76-83785AFBAE3C.jpeg 0EE024E0-5A16-4F53-B159-C7B5BAB02F12.jpeg

Possibly how it looks on finger

Looking at ruby again and spotting what I thought is some fluorescence
6908B02D-5E26-4C5C-8656-59022C501A84.jpeg

Under the piano
8DCBB2AF-6673-4026-91B4-511A4A42D248.jpeg

With UV light
85EB68EE-1B67-4DF5-BD69-61FEA56D5CAB.jpeg

So yes there is some fluoro…

@yssie cos SOCs

That’s a lot of fluorescence! Is it a certain wavelength that you are wanting more like under sunlight?

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
That’s a lot of fluorescence! Is it a certain wavelength that you are wanting more like under sunlight?

Hmm I’ve no idea. I just took my DH torch to play.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
This whole spread must be a red fluorescence spectacle under UV :love:

You really do need to set your mabes :bigsmile: They’re SO beautiful and unique, and other people’s loose stones make me angsty :lol:

Love everything about this including the fact that your fingers are long enough to pull it off!!

That ruby… :shock::kiss2:

I have so many unset things Yssie… it’s terrible. Every time I take out my stones in any store people’s eyes bug out. Problem is I still am not comfy to wear the soft stones like pearls and opals yet, so really no point setting them. But yes a btf SoC mabes ring is quite tempting… (I think @Neptune had a lot of influence)

I’ve got big man hands and it’s typically more unfortunate than anything. I need bigger stones, rings need to be resized, bangles need to be big… etc etc. I’m quite envious of folks with standard ring sizes.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have so many unset things Yssie… it’s terrible. Every time I take out my stones in any store people’s eyes bug out. Problem is I still am not comfy to wear the soft stones like pearls and opals yet, so really no point setting them. But yes a btf SoC mabes ring is quite tempting… (I think @Neptune had a lot of influence)

I’ve got big man hands and it’s typically more unfortunate than anything. I need bigger stones, rings need to be resized, bangles need to be big… etc etc. I’m quite envious of folks with standard ring sizes.

A low-profile gem like a mabe pearl might be just the ticket to comfort wearing softer stones. I do feel like “soft” is also very relative - we PSers are generally aware of and take care with our jewels so whilst accidents always happen… Those soft gems are in better care with us than anyone else :bigsmile:

Neptune’s stones are a museum unto themselves :love:

I’ve never looked at your photos and thought “man hands” and trust me I’ve spent plenty of time looking at your rings :lol: I *love* the bypass style you showed there. It works with the pearls and your finger length and shape.

The tapered frenchies are for your ruby, right? That would be an heirloom for the books. The stone is longer which works perfectly with this style IMO - lots of space for a nice dramatic concave taper 8-)

I’m going to not think about this mass of loose gems you’ve apparently got. I’m always on my friends to quit hoarding loose gemstones - for the sake of my mental health :lol:

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock

Ah ok mystery solved. Apparently my tech loving husband just must get a super powerful mini torch that is more than 3x stronger than usual uv light. No wonder the ruby super glowed.

26AC2CAF-19A5-45EA-A55B-4438006DF37C.jpeg

I shall look for a more normal torch.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
A low-profile gem like a mabe pearl might be just the ticket to comfort wearing softer stones. I do feel like “soft” is also very relative - we PSers are generally aware of and take care with our jewels so whilst accidents always happen… Those soft gems are in better care with us than anyone else :bigsmile:

I baby my rings anyway - never any housework in them etc but still… it’s the hand sanitizers that worries me.

Neptune’s stones are a museum unto themselves :love:

And her clothes! I’m fascinated by them.

I’ve never looked at your photos and thought “man hands” and trust me I’ve spent plenty of time looking at your rings :lol: I *love* the bypass style you showed there. It works with the pearls and your finger length and shape.

The tapered frenchies are for your ruby, right? That would be an heirloom for the books. The stone is longer which works perfectly with this style IMO - lots of space for a nice dramatic concave taper 8-)

Well… I actually measured my hands against a male colleague and he was stunned my hands are as big as his… :wall:

I have a set of traps so the most cost effective way is really to set the ruby with those traps. But when I see the VC and LM rings… Ah, can’t help but be tempted by French cuts.

I’m going to not think about this mass of loose gems you’ve apparently got. I’m always on my friends to quit hoarding loose gemstones - for the sake of my mental health :lol:

Haha ok then I won’t show you. I’ve actually been quite good about whittling the number down whenever I come across a suitable ring casing and actually have a few projects in the works for those that don’t fit into standard sizes. But still quite a bit left. You will faint if you see my pearls lol.

Neptune

Ideal_Rock

It's NOT my fault :lol-2:.

I envy you, to be honest. I remember how well you organized the paperwork of all the goodies...that's A LOT of work.

Thank you, @yssie

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Ok 2nd try with a normal lousy UV torch

No UV
578EA251-D6DF-45E4-9689-584651C2F518.jpeg

Mostly shining on the ruby - you can see how the smaller ruby and mahenge spinel at sides lights up, really because they have much stronger fluoro
548AA68B-5BFB-4667-930B-07D451B95DA0.jpeg

And a more generalized shot that I tried not to focus on any particular stone:
73DF1562-6370-45B3-B4EC-6EC7B44C77A6.jpeg

So yeah, clearly this ruby doesn’t have the strongest fluoro. Irl the mahenge has the strongest reaction, followed by the smaller ruby

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock
Ok 2nd try with a normal lousy UV torch

No UV
578EA251-D6DF-45E4-9689-584651C2F518.jpeg

Mostly shining on the ruby - you can see how the smaller ruby and mahenge spinel at sides lights up, really because they have much stronger fluoro
548AA68B-5BFB-4667-930B-07D451B95DA0.jpeg

And a more generalized shot that I tried not to focus on any particular stone:
73DF1562-6370-45B3-B4EC-6EC7B44C77A6.jpeg

So yeah, clearly this ruby doesn’t have the strongest fluoro. Irl the mahenge has the strongest reaction, followed by the smaller ruby

Interesting experiment! I would be curious to see that same group in sunlight.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I baby my rings anyway - never any housework in them etc but still… it’s the hand sanitizers that worries me.
Oh. Yeah, alcohol and astringents and pearls probably doesn't mix too well long-term. Guess they'll have to be pieces for the Days You Lunch :halo:

I have a set of traps so the most cost effective way is really to set the ruby with those traps. But when I see the VC and LM rings… Ah, can’t help but be tempted by French cuts.
For a really one-of-a-kind stone... I'm definitely much more inclined to splurge. Whatever suits the stone best. Your traps are lovely and proportional. But if you'll look at it and keep thinking about the frenchies - I say just get them and save yourself the future regret. Been there done that bought the (bling)shirt.

...Easy for me to say about your money, I know :bigsmile:

Haha ok then I won’t show you. I’ve actually been quite good about whittling the number down whenever I come across a suitable ring casing and actually have a few projects in the works for those that don’t fit into standard sizes. But still quite a bit left. You will faint if you see my pearls lol.
Well now I kinda want to see. But I also don't. I want to see then forget right away :lol: Are the pearls - other than those mabes! - at least set/strung!? Even if you don't wear them?

Like, how many pearls are we talking here :bigsmile:

We went to the Smithsonian Natural History museum in DC a few weeks ago and as I was walking through the gem exhibit I found myself thinking "so PSers have nicer specimens than this" a lot. They had some rainbow displays, you know the ones, and I pulled up a handful of photos from Autumn's colours thread to show my husband. I know one of your all-the-rings pics was in there!! Pretty wild to go to a museum and realize that the #whatever you've seen, or maybe you're wearing, is actually nicer than what's displayed in a world-renown exhibit :shock:

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Oh. Yeah, alcohol and astringents and pearls probably doesn't mix too well long-term. Guess they'll have to be pieces for the Days You Lunch

Yeah… but I’ve been craving opals for a while, so maybe it’s time. Anyway I just got covid not long ago and am safe for a while…

For a really one-of-a-kind stone... I'm definitely much more inclined to splurge. Whatever suits the stone best. Your traps are lovely and proportional. But if you'll look at it and keep thinking about the frenchies - I say just get them and save yourself the future regret. Been there done that bought the (bling)shirt.

...Easy for me to say about your money, I know :bigsmile:

I’ll do some mock-ups and think about it. Maybe ask my jeweller how much to get those frenchies… or should I just reach out to Gemconcepts? Hmm… I mean honestly the traps are not awful, it’s just that VC and LM make such gorgeous rings with frenchies…

Well my daughter did tell me that she loves rubies yesterday (6 yo: cos they glow red (under UV) and it’s so cool!!!!!). Hopefully she will really love this stone/ring in the future. But yeah ultimately I do it for myself so cannot use her as an excuse, haha.

Well now I kinda want to see. But I also don't. I want to see then forget right away :lol: Are the pearls - other than those mabes! - at least set/strung!? Even if you don't wear them?

Like, how many pearls are we talking here :bigsmile:

We went to the Smithsonian Natural History museum in DC a few weeks ago and as I was walking through the gem exhibit I found myself thinking "so PSers have nicer specimens than this" a lot. They had some rainbow displays, you know the ones, and I pulled up a handful of photos from Autumn's colours thread to show my husband. I know one of your all-the-rings pics was in there!! Pretty wild to go to a museum and realize that the #whatever you've seen, or maybe you're wearing, is actually nicer than what's displayed in a world-renown exhibit :shock:

I don’t know how many pearls. Sigh. I really should sell some blings and use the money to offset bling spending.

I know one of your all-the-rings pics was in there!! ==> which one? I actually have a pic of all my rings in a ring tray saved in my fav photos to remind myself not to buy (yeah u must be thinking as if it worked but if only u know how many things I’m tempted by vs how many I actually buy I think it does have some effectiveness) and also to cheer myself up by the rainbowy goodness. Ahhh ok I think I will go arrange my bling trays later to offset Monday blues. The rings on the table need to be sorted back anyway.

Don’t know if I would have the chance to go DC again in my lifetime. But yes would love to visit Smithsonian again if I have the chance (ah but so many other places I would like to visit)… But mmm gem shows in Asia. The big ones are like going to a museum really. The most amazing and stunning gems and beautiful high jewellery just to ogle is amazing. Even the mini heaps of gems is quite shocking to see.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Interesting experiment! I would be curious to see that same group in sunlight.

So was I so here they are:

Natural light not under sun:
13750725-3EC8-4B58-82C7-C01B0F095D50.jpeg

Under sunlight:
DC24F6A8-016B-4189-A610-96BDC8F19C50.jpeg

Pics don’t fully portray how they look so… under sunlight:
- the smaller ruby we already know is glowy and it glows pinkish
- the red ruby looks red and more alive. Not super duper glowy like some Burmese rubies I’ve seen but there is some effect (thank goodness I live in a tropical sunny country haha)
- the mahenge comes alive and sparkles. Pics never does justice to how it really looks in the sun so you have to take my word for it
- the Burmese spinel looks more lively as well.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Wanted a matching pendant to the ring so an existing ring was dismantled and my jeweller found the halo stones…

3F12B07C-1CFD-4048-A560-39ED0E988B29.jpeg

Ok… admittedly much more blinged up than I expected but it’s growing on me. Figured I can wear this even when I’m 80 so ok… lol.

Also went and finalise the plans for two more projects.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooh Icy it's always fun to see an update from you! When do you think your other projects will be done???

I'm broke and bored!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Ooh Icy it's always fun to see an update from you! When do you think your other projects will be done???

I'm broke and bored!

I have no idea, it takes a while. I’m guessing before Christmas but honestly don’t know. Might even be before next CNY. Which is fine. I need time to recover.

And a dreamy blue star sapphire… weak star but so clear and I love the color.

B9334888-8B6D-4905-A7AD-A26AD90E67AF.jpeg 85744D80-F10E-461C-9A73-1DDF18A6B0A0.jpeg A208DDDC-17A5-417A-9F45-2405C188AE6E.jpeg 8112820F-3F18-4959-90E3-B83566089E94.jpeg
C9A9F9AA-209A-4AD5-BD1D-D02F971E95EB.jpeg

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wait did you buy that or you were perving at it????

It's beautiful! I'm not a blue girl but that's beautiful and it's huge! I couldn't care less if there's a star! I don't think it needs the star!

Is the last pic of it under UV light??? Omg I love the glow!!!!!!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results