shape
carat
color
clarity

I wish dust could help this...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have been struggling with this election, or rather, the candidates, for weeks now. The problem is, I have too many reservations about both of them. Things that won''t go away, things no one can talk me out of, they are what they are. And I have sadly come to the conclusion, I won''t be voting for a president this year. I haven''t done that since I started voting.

The sadness this has caused me is overwhelming, surprisingly so. I wanted so much to be a part of this election, I wanted to feel as if I''m (hopefully) part of the solution to the mess we''re in. I wanted to be proud of my candidate, and cheer him on. I have never wanted to vote more than I did in this election....But if I am to be totally honest with myself, I can''t. And I don''t mean to offend anyone else by insinuating they aren''t worthy of your vote. I respect others choices/opions, it''s just my own opinion/feelings that I''m dealing with here.

I guess I just needed to vent and tell somebody. I can''t talk about this with our group of friends. They are all very political, and in political positions. I know they wouldn''t understand, and some might even be angry at me, though that is a guess.

I know I won''t change my mind and I''ve accepted that, but I don''t know how to shake this sadness and dismay. Has anyone else ever been in this position, or are you in it now? If so, your thoughts would be appreciated.
slider_sigh.gif

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Close, but I refuse to not vote. Not voting means you can''t complain about the winner regardless of who it is. You opted out.

I understand your dilemma Ellen. It''s not like I will be happy or proud to flip that lever. I''m choosing who I think the lesser of evils will be (Obama in this case). I do think that we need to exercise our vote though. Give it a little more thought and see if you can''t decide on whom you find least objectionable to you.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
El,
Even though I can''t vote, I am with you.

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Ellen, I feel the exact same way. I am going to write in a candidate - not yet sure who.

bebe

Ideal_Rock
Ellen, I understand. I can''t honestly say I''m behind one or the other.

Neither candidate, IMHO, is the best we could send to the highest office in our land.
We need a candidate that can offer true leadership and instill confidence.

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
I totally understand what you are saying. I will be voting, but, I too feel like it is for the lesser of two evils. Either way, our country will be in for 4 tough years.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Ellen, I completely understand--my mother has made the same decision after months of debate (within herself). When Ron Paul pulled out of the race, I didn''t think I was going to vote, either. I think that when a person makes the decision not to vote (as opposed to just not caring), it is as much of a statement as voting.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/12/2008 7:46:47 PM
Author: NewEnglandLady
Ellen, I completely understand--my mother has made the same decision after months of debate (within herself). When Ron Paul pulled out of the race, I didn''t think I was going to vote, either. I think that when a person makes the decision not to vote (as opposed to just not caring), it is as much of a statement as voting.
Thank you, that is exactly how I feel as well.

And thank you all for chiming in, it''s nice to know I''m not alone, and in good company. And I do feel just a tad better for getting it off my chest.

purrfect, lol, yes I will be relinquishing my right to complain. But I can live with that a lot easier than voting for someone I don''t believe in.
2.gif

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
You sound really bummed Ellen. I''m sorry, honey.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/12/2008 8:17:37 PM
Author: Miranda
You sound really bummed Ellen. I''m sorry, honey.
I really am Miranda, moreso than I ever could have imagined.

Thank you.
2.gif

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Ellen, as I''ve mentioned in the ATW threads I am in the same position as you. I am distressed that I feel neither of the candidates paired with their running mates deserve my vote. I am debating writing a candidate in or abstaining, and voting on the rest of the ballot issues. My husband and I have daily discussions about the elections, the devisiveness that has ensued, the lack of assurance I feel in the candidates and the overall upset about this election and what it will mean for our country. You are not alone, my friend.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/12/2008 8:20:54 PM
Author: SanDiegoLady
Ellen honey I feel the same way. I don''t believe any of them are worthy of the Presidential & Vice Presidential status. I am STUNNED that out of the millions of people that are breathing in the US and who are capable of the office that THESE are the best?

Ugh.

I''ll vote because its my right and my responsibility as an American citizen.. I just have to choose which two MIGHT actually do the right thing for the citizens of the United States... its not an easy choice.
Ditto. I don''t like either canidate, am very conflicted myself. I am sorry Ellen, but feel as you do. I will vote, but have no clue who I will vote for. Wish there was another choice.
14.gif

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Thank you, Ellen, for saying out loud what I''ve been feeling as well. I will not be voting either (I''m going to complain anyway though
3.gif
). Truly, I have tried, done my due diligence, and I just cannot support either candidate. These past couple months have been downright depressing. This country is in the middle of a crisis and I do not see a leader emerging who is ready to lead us out.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ron Paul was the only Primary candidate I could stand.
Now Sarah is the only current candidate I can stand.
I feel she has the best handle on the energy crises which is the one thing that if we don''t fix we are in the most trouble long term.
None of them will do what needs to be done to save the dollar mainly because it is cant be saved at this point so the second best thing is energy.
Before she got in the race I was going to sit it out but her energy policy gives me just enough reason to vote.
I feel neither Obama or McCain can provide leadership or even have a clue where to lead so they are equally evil.

lesco

Brilliant_Rock
Yes Ellen I can relate. The saddest part for me is that I recently became a citizen and I was looking forward to my first election.
I got really tired of the senseless bickering amongst the candidates. So I''m done ~ It''s a pass for me this election. I won''t be voting.

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
It''s hardly worth signing up for jury duty, is it?

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ellen honey I feel the same way. I don''t believe any of them are worthy of the Presidential & Vice Presidential status. I am STUNNED that out of the millions of people that are breathing in the US and who are capable of the office that THESE are the best?

Ugh.

I''ll vote because its my right and my responsibility as an American citizen.. I just have to choose which two MIGHT actually do the right thing for the citizens of the United States... its not an easy choice.
It''s too bad it all comes down to money isn''t it? Who has the most, who can collect the most...

...sigh...

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Ellen, when you have done your research and have realized that neither candidate is one you can comfortably endorse, it does seem that the only move is to not vote for one. I do hope you''ll be voting for your congressional and senatorial candidates, though. They are the people that can represent you if and when you feel the president does not, and I hope you''ve found candidates there that you can stand behind.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, I''m kind of surprised at how many people here on PS say they won''t be voting. There''s really no tiny preference for either candidate? Personally, I would have liked to see Hillary Clinton as the Democratic nominee, so it''s not an ideal situation for me either, but refraining from voting never really crossed my mind.

Interesting thread...it makes me wonder just how many US citizens will be forgoing their right to vote this election for the reasons mentioned here.

panda08

Brilliant_Rock
Ellen, I'm so sorry to hear that you feel the way you do. I often times feel that the candidate for whatever office is on the ballot does not fully represent who I am, what I value or the direction I'd like to see my city, county, state or country go. But I bite the bullet, evaluate each candidate to see who comes closest to what I want, pull the lever for that person, and hope for the best. Our democracy is not perfect but it is a democracy where your vote counts. There are millions of people in this world who do not have the luxury of sitting out because they don't have the right to vote at all. This election is your opportunity to have your voice heard, however small that voice may feel. While I respect your choice to abstain, I hope you will reconsider and participate. A woman's right to vote was a hard earned right. I hope you won't relinquish that right because the candidates may be less than ideal.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ellen honey I feel the same way. I don't believe any of them are worthy of the Presidential & Vice Presidential status. I am STUNNED that out of the millions of people that are breathing in the US and who are capable of the office that THESE are the best?

Ugh.

I'll vote because its my right and my responsibility as an American citizen.. I just have to choose which two MIGHT actually do the right thing for the citizens of the United States... its not an easy choice.
Makes ya wonder, doesn't it? But then again, I don't ever recall an election where there was a clear choice (for me), a person who I felt was unequivocally the right person. But this is the first year I just cannot get behind either one...

icekid, your post cracked me up. Thanks, I needed that.
2.gif
complain for me too, will ya?

lesco, I am so sorry for you. What a "first" election.
38.gif

And to those who mentioned voting for other branches of office, yes, I will. As I said, I have friends in political positions and one is up, I definitely want them to get my vote, along with others.

I realize (and expected) some to feel I should exercise my right to vote. But to me, that's just it, it is a right, not a requirement. That is the real beauty of it, it is a free choice to make, or not. And as NEL so eloquently put it, not voting (after careful consideration) can make just as big a statement as not voting, imo.

Thank you all for your thoughts, I really do appreciate it. I am just so sorry for those of us that have come to this decision, with an election so important, and of such historical value. What a shame.
7.gif

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/12/2008 11:57:42 PM
Author: thing2of2
There''s really no tiny preference for either candidate?
I did have a preference for one candidate over the other, and was working towards accepting there were certain issues that I didn''t/don''t agree with this person about but I liked enough about him that I could set those things aside; the selection of a running mate and campaigning practices have completely turned me off.

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
i think i understand those of you not planning to vote in the upcoming election. it would be very easy for me to do the same thing. i have, however, decided that for me that will not be an option this time. regardless of all the negative things i have read and heard about the candidates and all the problems the united states is currently having we still have people who are doing everything they can to get into this country.

i know that plenty will not agree with my philosophy but i think the president is not totally responsible for where we have gotten in our country. i think we all have to take the blame for our part in the situation and believe me there is plenty to go around. i pretty much feel the same about a governor, a mayor or anyone holding a position of authority. sure they are the buck stops here guy or gal but no person has the time or talent to handle every situation and must rely on others. we have become a country of whiners who feel entitled and it is time for us all to step up and not only take responsibility but do what we can to be a solution.

i don''t know what the solution is but i think it has to be everyone working together and not thinking one person can cure all. i actually have a friend who owns a business and she blames all of her woes on the mayor. she thinks the city is responsible for bringing customers to her store. i hope no one takes offense at this as none is meant. i sure don''t think i know it all or even much. i won''t defend my position and will not take offense at any comments made in response since i asked for it when i posted my opinion.

i will vote and hope i make the right choice but who ever wins i pray this country appreciates what it has as we are blessed.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Ellen
I can certainly relate to how you are feeling. I''m going to vote for who I feel is the lesser of two evils (McCain for me), but I don''t feel comfortable with either

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/12/2008 7:44:23 PM
Author: Miranda
I totally understand what you are saying. I will be voting, but, I too feel like it is for the lesser of two evils. Either way, our country will be in for 4 tough years.
Ditto here, on all accounts.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
I just had a conversation with my oldest son today when he was telling me he wishes he was old enough to vote.

I told him that as an american and as a woman I feel its my reponsiblity to vote and to not vote would be a slap in the face to all who fought for us to have that right. Not that long ago, women were not allowed to vote. Our opinion did not matter.

Look at the bigger issues. Are you prochoice? Do you want us out of the war sooner rather than later? I'm not asking anyone to answer those out loud, but looking at the larger issues should be helpful in choosing who to vote for.

I agree with others, if you don't vote, you have no right to complain about the president who wins.

I will be glad when this is all over because I'm sick of it. But I am proud to be able to vote and encourage you to vote.

luckylux

Rough_Rock
Asscherisme, well said. I wholeheartedly agree... this is the best way to look at it for now. We are in a war we should not be in, costing billions of dollars/month. Billions going into our federal deficit ($ we owe as taxpayers and that our children will owe). There are so many issues at hand, and I''m not sure I can bring alot up here as I''m sure this is not meant to be a political thread. There''s some time left before Nov 4- ask yourself which direction this country should head on key issues. I hope you vote.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I found this article, and while I may not have said it all quite the way he did, the overall message is the same as mine, and possibly others. I have highlighted the points I have been trying to make (apparently somewhat unsuccessfully), this says it all, and how I feel. If some still don''t understand, we will just have to agree to disagree, as I do not want this to become a big political argument.
5.gif

The Right Not to Vote

by Jason Roth (November 5, 2001)

We are constantly reminded to "get out and vote." To "do our duty." And to "become part of the democratic process."

We are badgered to vote, whether or not we know anything about the candidates or whether or not the candidates are essentially the same, by everyone from has-been journalists to the politically-savvy minds at MTV.

Apparently, the right to vote has nothing to do with choice.

Since when did rights and duties become the same thing? Does the freedom of speech mean you don''t have the freedom to shut your trap once in a while? Does the right to private property mean you can''t get rid of that 1974 purple and orange sofa at your in-laws'' next garage sale? And does the right to vote mean you don''t have the right to stay home and cry into your beer rather than play with a bunch of meaningless levers and buttons in a voting booth? Meaningless, that is, when the candidates are tied for first in the "greater of two evils" competition?

Rights are ours to execute or not. A free country with a compulsory vote is a contradiction in terms. Hence, the greater reverence for America''s Founding Fathers over, say, Mark Burnett, the creator of TV''s Survivor. If you want to see what happens to a society that''s forced to vote, watch an episode or two of Survivor.

Not that anyone is actually campaigning for a compulsory vote. Yet. What people are doing, however, is completely negating the opinions of anyone who chooses not to vote. Liberals and conservatives alike will tune out the sound of your voice zealously if you ever let slip a single election abstinence.

The key missing question, of course, is why did you vote or not vote? If your answer is "politics doesn''t interest me", then of course your opinion on political matters matters not. If, however, you have decided that a vote for any of the candidates is equal to or worse than not voting at all, then your act of abstaining is itself a vote.

For example, in my own state''s gubernatorial election (New Jersey), I have the choice of an anti-abortionist on the one hand, and an enemy of the Second Amendment on the other.

Schundler, the Republican, calls partial-birth abortion "legalized infanticide". A ban on late-term abortions would be his first step towards destroying a woman''s right to abortion.

McGreevey, the Democrat, supports Lost-in-Space style "smart gun" legislation. Never mind that the technology hasn''t been perfected yet, that millions of older guns can''t be retrofitted, or that the choice of how to defend one''s self and one''s family would be removed and placed in the hands of government.

One candidate worked for Gary Hart''s 1988 Democratic election campaign. This was Schundler, the Republican.

One candidate opposes "new environmental regulations" that would "hurt business" and is a "fierce proponent of free markets". One supports "increased state funding for the Blue Acres program, which uses public dollars to purchase open space along the coast." These views are all held by the same person - Schundler, the Republican.

One candidate wants to increase auto insurance regulation ("prevent rate hikes from being considered without consumers having an advocate"), and one wants "increased competition". These views are also held by one person - McGreevey, the Democrat. One "wants a less restrictive market, but only after additional steps are taken to reduce costs". This is the Republican.

One candidate wants to be remembered for "making public education work". The other wants to "reform our public schools so they work to educate children."

And Praise the Lord. Both promise not to raise taxes.

A vote for one of these candidates is a sanction of his positions. Giving my vote to one candidate as opposed to the other says "I believe that you are better than the other guy."

But I don''t.

I propose that the citizens of the United States be given the same privilege as our leaders. Give us an "I abstain" button in the voting booth. Give us the ability to show our leaders that we are not abstaining out of apathy.

Let our abstinence be shown for what it is meant to be. A vote of conscience.

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I feel your pain and because of this I am abstaining from voting for the presidnetial election but will vote in the other elections. I have no confidence in either party at this time and feel either would be a waste of my time.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results