shape
carat
color
clarity

I want to get in shape without losing weight

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lilylover

Shiny_Rock
With a little under 3 months till my wedding and summer right around the corner, I want to start working out again. I have a gym in my neighborhood that I get to use for free (woo hoo!) and plenty of room to do a workout DVD if that''s the best route.

Basically I just don''t know what the heck I am doing when it comes to working out. I am really thin, 5ft 4in and 110 pounds. So, I definitely don''t want to lose any weight. I really just need to tone up. My butt is so squishy and shapeless that it''s depressing. My stomach has no definition and my arms are like jello!

A few years back I had an interval training aerobics class that I attended and it was amazing. It was a total body workout that alternated between cardio, abs, and strength training. I got really nice and toned *everywhere*. Can anyone recommend a workout DVD similar to this that will help me out? I am willing to go buy an exercise ball/hand weights if needed.

I have no idea where to start! Thanks for any and all suggestions.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Jillian Michael''s 30 day Shred sounds like what you''ve described. If you''re really not trying to lose weight you could increase your calories a bit. To figure out where your nutrition goals should be, check out SparkPeople.com. It will calculate the approximate calorie burn and show you what your intake should be to support it.

Good Luck!!

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
I''m really interested in trying this DVD too - I''m also pretty thin 5''1" and 100lbs but not in great shape

joxxxelyn

Shiny_Rock
You don''t need to do any intense cardio, but you could still go on walks. That''s what I do because it keeps my heart conditioned without shedding fat quickly (I don''t want to lose fat either). You should definitely do some strength training. Don''t go too heavy or your body will start to make testosterone in enough amounts to burn even more fat. Do more reps with lighter weights. Add some squats, lunges, and lower body yoga as well.

As far as diet, you should add some caloric foods that are still healthy like avocados, nuts, brown rice, and lean cuts of meat like chicken. Try to eat protein with every meal and make sure you get enough complex carbs and healthy oil (omegas). What you can do is calculate your BMR, add the calories you burn in exercise, and make sure you''re eating enough to account for all the calorie use (example, you burn 1600 a day at rest and you work off 300 means you eat 1900 that day to ensure you don''t slim down). As you build muscle the calorie needs will increase a little so make sure you keep adjusting.

Erin

Ideal_Rock
Jazzercise. It''s one hour. You''ll be able to bounce a quarter off your backend.

ImpatientOne

Brilliant_Rock
I''d get into the weight room to tone up...

Gempassion

Shiny_Rock
Hi,

I would suggest 20 minutes of pilates 3 times a week. It''s enough to tone up without loosing weight. I am not sure if I am allowed to mention a particular pilates dvd but it''s a popular one. You could probably borrow it from someone you know. Or, find an inexpensive used copy.

Best,
Gempassion

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here''s another suggestion:

Try swimming (laps - not playing).

It will probably take a couple months just to work up to 20-30 minutes at a time - but swimming is great conditioning exercise which rarely causes weight loss.

It is also low impact and easy on a lot of other areas - something you can do even with many health problems.

I have a local hotel which sells monthly swimming passes for about $16 per month. There are some hour restrictions (7AM - 6PM start) and not on weekends. But its a great deal. I finish in the hot tube and shower.

I''m currently swimming twice a week (Tue and Thur after work). Last summer it was 3 times a week (M,W,F) to get into basic shape.

I will note that when I started I had some areas of constant pain - and could only do about 2 minutes of swimming and 10 minutes of treading water/floating. By the end of the summer I was routinely doing 45 minutes of steady laps; most of the constant pain was gone, and I had a lot more energy in my life...

Unfortunately, some medical issues stopped me from swimming last fall, then very long work hours, then the pool was down for almost 2 months, another period of very long work hours. I have only recently restarted - and am well on my way back.

Hope this helps,

Perry

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
I would suggest pilates and yoga as well. I started doing these two workouts at the beginning of the year to tone up. I am fairly small like you, 4''11" and just about 100 lbs. The two workouts actually made me lose a couple of inches in my hips/butt region, and my lower stomach has flattened out quite nicely as well. I personally like any Denise Austin workout that I can get my hands on. Also, yogajournal.com has some cool information, too.

shelleyleena

Rough_Rock
Losing weight is not an easy process, It need dedication and hard work for long period. I mean one should follow proper exercises and diet routine. And you will get the result.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
I have a similar body type as you, I have found yoga is a great way to tone up. If you don''t want to loose weight, I would do one of slower paced programs. You will still get a good amount of conditioning with that. But as the other''s said, I would do some walking to balance out your workout.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I might recommend swimming.

cheers--Sharon

DivaDiamond007

Brilliant_Rock
Have you tried ballet? I did ballet for many years, even as an adult, and it really can tone your body without making you lose weight. It''s fun too!

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
I am another that votes for pilates!! I do a one hour class a week (the only excersize i do) and i am amazed at how well it tones and how fast it started working!! I didn''t need to loose weight before my wedding either and started pilates about 6 months before the wedding. I progressed from a beginner and i am now in am intermediate / advanced class and i love it! It also has the added benefit of working your core muscles too.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results