shape
carat
color
clarity

I wanna know: Is there an Ideal Time for an Ideal Cut?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

007 Gems Bond

Rough_Rock
Hi all!

Newbie here, so please bear with my newbieness.
wavey.gif

I intend eventually investing in a diamond. I am in no particular hurry, and am currently researching this very sparkling subject.

The festive season is upon us all, and I was wondering, do diamond merchants have anything like a Black Friday sale, when products are commonly sold at lower prices?
twirl.gif

Generally, what is the ideal period to buy a diamond?

Thank you for any forthcoming advice!

goldenringlets

Shiny_Rock
I don't know the answer to your question - other than learning lots about diamonds would be the best means of getting good value for money, but what I really wanted to say was I like your "name"!

newenglandgemlab

Shiny_Rock
Be very careful of 'Sales' especially with the profit margins being so tight as it is. Some sales can be a tad ficticious. Increased prices to offer a so called 'discount'. Look at the stone, look at the grading and then price it through the pricescope approved vendors. Cindy

007 Gems Bond

Rough_Rock
goldenringlets, thank you for the flattering remark. I am, after all, Licensed to thrill!
16.gif

I will try and poke my head in here more often to educate myself.

Cindy's timely advice, too, I will keep in mind when shopping. It is, for me, a sizeable investment, and I do not want to go wrong.
3.gif
. To you too, go my sincere thanks!

While still on the subject, I have come across set diamonds on sale, but I have yet to see just stones being discounted. Is this because I have not looked hard enough, or is it because this never happens?

In the end, though, I want to buy a quality stone from a reputable vendor.

I look forward to more expert comments and advice. Thank you for your time and patience.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 11/22/2003 7:21:05 AM 007 Gems Bond wrote:

While still on the subject, I have come across set diamonds on sale, but I have yet to see just stones being discounted. Is this because I have not looked hard enough, or is it because this never happens?

In the end, though, I want to buy a quality stone from a reputable vendor.

----------------

007......welcome. The two statement you've made above are kind of at crossed purposes, so you need to decide what you want. Do you want a quality stone from a reputable vendor, or do you want a diamond sale discount?

If you really want a quality stone from a reputable vendor, then focus your search on finding the reputable vendors and checking their inventories. There are tons of them online here....pull a search for vendor recommendations and you'll see the vendors that are earning top accolades. Or, do some homework locally and find out who your reputable B&M jewelers are where you live.

Decent vendors don't usually play the "mark it up 50% and then have a 50% off sale" game, but you can save money by shopping online. The online vendors tend to have more competitive pricing, and many offer a 5% discount off of that to PS members. Also, if you purchase online from a vendor who isn't in your state, you don't pay sales tax, and that is a HUGE savings.

A final note....if you are sincere in wanting a quality diamond, then stay away from the $1999 or $3999 *sales* at the chains. Take the time to educate yourself with the many resources here and the vast tutorial at www.gooldolgold.com and I'm sure you'll do just fine.

007 Gems Bond

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 11/22/2003 7:42:04 AM aljdewey wrote:
Do you want a quality stone from a reputable vendor, or do you want a diamond sale discount?

Hey, Ho, Hey, Ho, Quality is that way to go! Quality, qUality, quAlity, quaLity, qualIty, qualiTy, qualitY...

But seriously, you have provided me with very valuable advice, aljdewey. Thanks!

I gather from what you are saying that good quality diamonds are not synonymous with discounts.

As per your suggestion, I have already enrolled myself for a comprehensive course at the University of GOG.
read.gif
The developer, Jonathan, I see, has put in a lot of time and effort to educate us newcomers.

I shall also be checking out Whiteflash, as it seems to be equally reputable.

Cheers!

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Gems,

Could you please clarify why you want to buy a diamond? Do you want it as an investment, or do you want to buy a stone for jewelry at the best possible combination of price and quality?

In the first case, forget about it. Diamonds are not an investment-product, unless you are looking on the very long term.

If you are looking for the best combo of price and quality, I have two advices. First, go for the highest quality in cut, since it is the most important quality-aspect. Second, go for the highest quality in cut, since they are often sold by internet-vendors, who work with the lowest margins, and who are in tough competition with one another.

Summarized, the highest cut-qualities can often be found at cheaper prices at the retail level than lower cut-qualities. Of course, the latter ones can from time to time be heavily discounted, but who are they trying to fool.

Live long,

Paul

spicolicpa

Shiny_Rock
"......Could you please clarify why you want to buy a diamond? Do you want it as an investment, or do you want to buy a stone for jewelry at the best possible combination of price and quality?

In the first case, forget about it. Diamonds are not an investment-product, unless you are looking on the very long term..."

As discussed in my previous posts, My educated opinion, is that any sizeable outflow of cash for an item that will benefit multiple years MUST be viewed as an investment. While this particular investment is surrounded with emotion (More so than other investments) it must still be viewed in tandem with the dollars and cents approach.

It can be argued that the purchase of a automobile is not an investment, but those trained in Financial Advising will tell you different. Because there is always Time Value of Money to consider....AKA...should I bank the money allowing it to accrue interest and pay for a taxi to and from work daily? Would this result in a positive or negative comparative cash flow....ect.

While a car has a limited depreciable life, a diamond can arguably last a great long time. Return on investment for a diamond...well lets leave that to the person that is wearing it year after year.

Oh and I wont even get into whether a diamond is a good investment...being one who has already "invested"...:O)

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
There's a difference between *considering* something an investment and selecting it as an "investment vehicle".

I think Paul's cautioning against the latter.

007 Gems Bond

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 11/24/2003 9:55:38 AM Paul-Antwerp wrote:

Could you please clarify why you want to buy a diamond? Do you want it as an investment, or do you want to buy a stone for jewelry at the best possible combination of price and quality?

Paul, I meant the latter. Pardon me: I used the word investment loosely because of the sizeable expense.
3.gif

----------------
On 11/24/2003 9:55:38 AM Paul-Antwerp wrote:

Summarized, the highest cut-qualities can often be found at cheaper prices at the retail level than lower cut-qualities.

Do you mean at the cost of the other C's?

spicolicpa, you raise valid points, too. But if I start thinking like that, I'll never buy a diamond!
naughty.gif

spicolicpa

Shiny_Rock
Not all "investments" are good ones in terms of R.O.I.

Diamonds do not trade like pork bellies...or more aptly gold...I feel that this will never change as it is a non-homogenous product...but diamonds also do not rapidly depreciate in value.....which for anyone that was invested in tech stocks in the last 10 years would greatly welcome. I am sure they wish they had traded paper for rock.

Bond had it right the first time he stated he was "Investing" in his diamond.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results