I like it!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks decent for a 'classic' oval :)

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agree with OoohShiny...looks decent. I would say its above average and probably a few better out there.

L

lydial

Is it on hold? Get it held before a stalker sneaks it:)

Nicm

Rough_Rock

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
I do love it! It is on hold, don't worry. Thanks all for your input! One other caught my eye so I've been going back and forth between the 2.
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/1.07-carat-f-color-vs2-clarity-sku-9059628
Any thoughts on this one or should I just snap up the initial one? This one appeals to me because it is 8.23x5.94 - but the depth is only 58%.
Why do I do this?? I didn't have this trouble committing to my husband!

looks like a biiiiig bowtie to me.

Nicm

Rough_Rock
looks like a biiiiig bowtie to me.

Thanks! I wanted to see if anyone mentioned that. I thought it looked quite prominent but wasn't sure if it was bad enough to rule it out.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks! I wanted to see if anyone mentioned that. I thought it looked quite prominent but wasn't sure if it was bad enough to rule it out.

Interesting. I would call it "contrast" than "bow-tie". But I understand it can be viewed as "bow-tie"

Nicm

Rough_Rock
Interesting. I would call it "contrast" than "bow-tie". But I understand it can be viewed as "bow-tie"

Does that mean you don't think it looks bad? If not, this one would probably be my preference based on measurements. I just don't want to make that decision and have a diamond with an awful bowtie show up and have lost the other one.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pro.
1.Crazy Spread.
2.Good light return for a shallow and spready oval.
3. The mains (arrows) do not contribute to the "bowtie" effect.

Cons.
1. Still contrasty or slight "bowtie" effect.

I personally like it.

You cannot have it all in an oval.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do love it! It is on hold, don't worry. Thanks all for your input! One other caught my eye so I've been going back and forth between the 2.
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/1.07-carat-f-color-vs2-clarity-sku-9059628
Any thoughts on this one or should I just snap up the initial one? This one appeals to me because it is 8.23x5.94 - but the depth is only 58%.
Why do I do this?? I didn't have this trouble committing to my husband!

No, unless your main criteria is size. With this new stone, the mushy areas are very mushy. When you slightly turn an oval you should
see additional facets lighting up. The new one you posted has no new facets lighting up. Your original oval has some...not the greatest
but certainly is a lot better than this new one you posted. Put your cursor on the stones rotating image and rock them back and forth.
For good light return you want to see facets lighting up.

Here is a picture showing the mushy areas
Capture.PNG
No new facets lighting up as stone turns
Capture.PNG
First link showing oval turned at an angle...more nice facets lighting up.
Capture.PNG

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, unless your main criteria is size. With this new stone, the mushy areas are very mushy. When you slightly turn an oval you should
see additional facets lighting up. The new one you posted has no new facets lighting up. Your original oval has some...not the greatest
but certainly is a lot better than this new one you posted. Put your cursor on the stones rotating image and rock them back and forth.
For good light return you want to see facets lighting up.

Here is a picture showing the mushy areas
Capture.PNG
No new facets lighting up as stone turns
Capture.PNG
First link showing oval turned at an angle...more nice facets lighting up.
Capture.PNG
Agreed. I am not loving this one.

Nicm

Rough_Rock
Thanks @flyingpig! I just can't decide what I'm willing to sacrifice. I wasn't sure if the spread was a positive or negative so that's great to know, thank you.

@tyty333 thank you - I think you've just made it finally click with me what I should be looking at in these videos! I also went back and looked at the diamonds you recommended to me before and I can really see the difference. I thought I could before but now I don't really think I did, because I ended up back at this one.

@lovedogs thanks for your input!

These are ones I previously ruled out, but now I think they were maybe better than I thought?

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
generally the ovals with the most even faceting are also deeper, which sacrifices spread.

This is one of the only ones currently out there that I liked, though admittedly ovals aren't really my jam:

Jon has this pretty dope J/SI1 for less money, though, if the color isn't bothersome. you can see the difference in the spread though.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sounds like you are getting a better feel for ovals @Nicm

Ovals fall into about 3 (or 4...I almost dont count the last category of bad stones) different categories for me.

Best ovals (IMO) - light up well under the table with a minimal amount of rotation. Minimal mush. These are usually 6-mains or 8-mains.
Examples (may not be in your specs or budget...these are just examples for what to look for)

Nice ovals - have a wider area through the center and outer sides of the oval (short sides) of facets that return light well. May have a
triangle of obvious mush that does not light up...but has enough good facets that do (a large triangle of facets that do light up). These
can be ovals on the longer side. (you may be willing to give up some light return to gain some length...as long as you know). I consider
dark bow-ties to be bad. Some people consider triangles of good facets to be bow-ties like what you see in some of these.
Examples

Not so great Ovals (the majority) - small triangles of facets that light up. No further facets light up as the stone rotates. Larger triangles
of mushy areas towards the longer ends. Lots of stones fall into this category.
(not a wide enough area of good facets)

Bad ovals - have dark bow-ties through the center which stay dark or under the table is completely mushy lacking in nice facets that light up.
I think this category is pretty obvious so I'm not even going to look for examples. ok, one example

Hope this gives you a feel for the different looks and what you may be willing to give up for length. It's really difficult to find
the best light return in long ovals but if you can find one that has enough good facets that light up then it may be worth it to you.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Nicm

Rough_Rock
Sounds like you are getting a better feel for ovals @Nicm

Ovals fall into about 3 (or 4...I almost dont count the last category of bad stones) different categories for me.

Best ovals (IMO) - light up well under the table with a minimal amount of rotation. Minimal mush. These are usually 6-mains or 8-mains.
Examples (may not be in your specs or budget...these are just examples for what to look for)

Nice ovals - have a wider area through the center and outer sides of the oval (short sides) of facets that return light well. May have a
triangle of obvious mush that does not light up...but has enough good facets that do (a large triangle of facets that do light up). These
can be ovals on the longer side. (you may be willing to give up some light return to gain some length...as long as you know). I consider
dark bow-ties to be bad. Some people consider triangles of good facets to be bow-ties like what you see in some of these.
Examples

Not so great Ovals (the majority) - small triangles of facets that light up. No further facets light up as the stone rotates. Larger triangles
of mushy areas towards the longer ends. Lots of stones fall into this category.
(not a wide enough area of good facets)

Bad ovals - have dark bow-ties through the center which stay dark or under the table is completely mushy lacking in nice facets that light up.
I think this category is pretty obvious so I'm not even going to look for examples. ok, one example

Hope this gives you a feel for the different looks and what you may be willing to give up for length. It's really difficult to find
the best light return in long ovals but if you can find one that has enough good facets that light up then it may be worth it to you.

I think you are getting through to me. Thank you so much - you have been the best teacher.
Would you mind if I bought one of these? I don't want to end my education but it's perfect for me!

Nicm

Rough_Rock
When taking size and nice faceting into effect, I still think the first one you posted isnt bad. I think you should be using it for comparison as far as looking
for bigger with better light return. We can obviously find smaller with better light return but if you are looking to gain length...use it to compare with.

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/1.01-carat-f-color-vs1-clarity-sku-6536491 this is your original I'm talking about

Thank you! I was so happy with it but started to get caught up with the measurements again. I'm not completely off it but I hate the feeling that I could maybe get better. How do you think it compares to this one that you posted? https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-de...NDS&track=viewDiamondDetails&catalogView=true It was in your 'nice' range.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results