shape
carat
color
clarity

I think I've found my pink cushion (mahenge)!

Gempassion

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone,

I just got this mahenge and it's exactly the color I've been looking for:

Gem Type: Spinel
Pieces: 1 Pc
Weight: 1.93 Cts
Size: 7.64 x 6.65 x 4.73 mm
Shape: Cushion
Cut: Step Cut
Clarity: Slightly Included
Origin: Mahenge, Tanzania
Enhancement: Unheated

There are some inclusions visible along the table but the color is so vivid and saturated... that I think I'll keep it. What do you think? It's for a ring project.

(Sorry about the average pictures... I will leave the gem in its little packaging until I'm certain that I will keep it. It's an overcast day).

This gem really glows but I'm having trouble capturing the actual color.

spinel01.JPG

spinel02.JPG

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG that is lush......... :love:

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Amazing color. I love it. What kind of setting are you thinking for it?

Gempassion

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Hot Pozzum and B.E.G,

I originally wanted a bezel to protect the gem but the color is so pretty that I may want to see the sides of the gem.

I think I'll go with a simple double prong solitaire. This is my first ring gem and ring project, but I'm partial to solitaires.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
I like solitaires too. I think it'll suit the size and shape very well, and the stone is saturated and flashy enough that you can even add pave and it'll look great :) Can't wait to see it set!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It has potential based on the two poor pictures your provided. Have you had the chance to view it outdoors (direct sunlight and shade)? How is the colour shift indoors? Does it fluorescence?

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
It looks really pretty but it would be nice to see more photos in different types of lighting. Sounds like you really like it. And you've been looking for a while right?

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
Very pretty colour.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
It's hard to tell with the gemstone inside the package, but it seems to have a gray tone to it. Is that just an artifact of the pictures? I love the shape and size. And God knows, I love me my mahenges!!!! :love:

Gempassion

Shiny_Rock
I'm keeping it and removing it from the packaging. The color is vivid no matter what. And I can live with the line of inclusions along the table (I'm learning to be less of a perfectionist and that small line of inclusions will remind me that my gem doesn't have to be perfect and neither do I). Here are some new pictures (indoors by a window). I can't seem to capture the color exactly. Hats off to all you pricescopers who take such wonderful pictures:

Thanks to Arcadian, Upgradable, and Frekechild for the pictures of your Mahenge purchases from AJS. I ordered this spinel after browsing through your older threads (and searcing "ajs spinel").

And, thanks to all pricescopers. I didn't know what a mahenge spinel was when I was originally looking for a sapphire.

spinel3.JPG

spinel4.JPG

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Gempassion, I think the color is fantastic, and I don't see any gray whatsoever - probably just the poor optics of the packaging. I'm envious of your slim, elegant fingers, and I can't wait to see how you end up setting it. Solitaire or halo - you really can't go wrong.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think its a really nice color! :love: I certainly considered that one not long ago tbh. I can't wait to see how you set it!

-A

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I like the new pics, and it's true it does look very nice on your hands.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
That is so pretty! I am looking for one in a similar color but I've found mostly loupe clean ones that cost a fortune, or really included ones. If you dont mind, would you share its ballpark price?

Gempassion

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Arcadian and Cellentani,

Chrono: Yes it glows like Cellentani's mahenge under uv light but my uv light is so small that I don't think I can capture it on camera. I'd need a big black light or something.

Thanks everyone... In case I forgot to mention a few of you.

Gempassion

Shiny_Rock
Hi ForteKitty,

It was about 830$ (shipping included) and is eye clean except of that small line of inclusions along the table but they're aesthetically well placed (to me anyways).

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
You're right! I considered that one too. I'm glad it is just what you were looking for!! Now, what kind of gorgeous home are you anticipating for it?

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
That's going to make an awesome ring. I love the color, and look forward to seeing the finished product!

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
That inclusion is hidden so well, I really didn't notice it in the pictures!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty gemstone and color.

Zzz

Rough_Rock
Trade
that spinel is a gorgeous pink!

Gempassion

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the compliments on the gem!

I would like to have this mahenge set in platinum or palladium since I sometimes have allergic reactions to white gold (and I am not interested in the re-plating maintenance of wg). I know that some of you have said that palladium has a grayish look so I will probably go the extra mile and get platinum.

I think that I will keep it simple: either a delicate bezel solitaire with milgrain or a double prong solitaire (not sure which is best).

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Gempassion, I just want to say I think you have beautiful hands with long elegant fingers.

When considering your choice of metals, don't discount 19K unplated white gold that has been alloyed with palladium.

I have just had a ring made with this alloy and I am really pleased with it. Not grey at all.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful Mahenge! Congratulations, good luck with the ring project!

Gempassion

Shiny_Rock
Yes, I've been looking for a pink cushion for about 7 months now (pricescope and patience paid off!).

Thanks Cellentani, innerkitten, and Gailey for the compliments on my hands (with all these compliments, I should start to consider having manicures done).

Thanks Gailey, I will consider 19k unplated white gold.

Thank you crasru too.

tefutefu

Rough_Rock
I must say, I'm new to all this so I have no idea what a Mahenge spinel is but that is a beautiful gem! :love:

Love love love the colour and it looks really good on your hands :lickout:

I second Gailey's opinion on 18K palladium white gold (I've seen 14K as well). I've read that traditional white gold is alloyed with nickle, so it causes allergy reaction in some people, and will turn slightly yellowish when the rhodium plating wears off :( Palladium white gold supposedly doesn't need to be rhodium plated and will stay white, but it is slightly more expensive compared to nickle white gold though!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's really lovely.

Gempassion

Shiny_Rock
Thank you tefutefu and TL,

I've been pricing some simple solitaire settings... Is it just me or does whiteflash have competitive prices for platinum settings?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, so it’s THAT stone. Yes, it’s been brought up here a few times and I’m glad it went to a good home. WF does seem to have good pricing for platinum settings. Another nice place to look is Pearlman’s “deals” section where he advertises antique, second hand and close-out settings.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results