Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

I think I like this ring.

iwantsparkle

Shiny_Rock
Joined
May 25, 2016
Messages
306
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/557531628845858401/
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/557531628845858393/
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/557531628845858397/
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/557531628845858400/ (I'd probably ask for slightly less rounded petals.)

It's DK. It's the closest I've seen to what I am currently picturing. I like that it doesn't sit super high (right?), has a plain shank, petals, halo.
A band would fit mostly flush-ish to this ring, right?

Initially, I was thinking I would inquire about making a bezel version of this ring. But now I am wondering if that would take away from the look - change it too much? What do you think? I question whether or not it would make a completely different look.

About this current ring - I also wonder if those edges feel less smooth? Maybe I could have him do something with the metal around the halo stones to make it feel less jagged when you move your finger past it/touch it? That is part of the reason I don't want a pave shank - I'd like it to feel smooth all over.

I like this one, too. But there's just this one pic of it: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/557531628847122307/

I am also drawn to this ring, too, except I wonder if the metal "dots" in between the stones are too big for my taste?
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/557531628843660525/

I am going to reach out to David once I have a handle on these thoughts. I am wondering if anyone has guesses on what a setting like this would cost? (From him.)

Part of my pause/angst is that I am wondering - if I were to go a custom route, then maybe I should revisit the idea of one total ring instead of a ring + band. Some sort of halo type ring with a shank that doesn't look like it is missing a band.
But I haven't found what that might be, really. I do like the halo + band concept, too.

Opinions welcome. I searched DK threads here and saw some pretty stuff, but I didn't see prices mentioned. (Perhaps that is not allowed or is frowned upon here? Or just too personal/tacky?)

:)
 

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Joined
Sep 16, 2007
Messages
1,264
That's a very pretty halo. I always want a bezel so I am biased, but I think I would like it better than prongs for the center stone. Good pave shouldn't be rough at all, and with a plain shank you won't really feel the halo very much on your hand. I also have a pave halo with a plain shank, but mine is bright cut pave so a little different.

I do not like the 2nd or 3rd rings you posted at all and I think the first is the most refined looking.

As to the quote, DK is the best one to ask how much it will be. People don't really talk quotes here bc it can vary widely even for the same ring depending on stone size, how much melee is needed, type of metal, ring size. Just ask him!
 

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jan 11, 2006
Messages
55,635
I don't like a bezel with that particular style of pave halo. I do like a bezel with an antique style halo with a milgrain outer edge. Just two different style rings. I think the ring is very pretty as it is. I think the plain shank gives you tons of options for bands. I vastly prefer a separate wedding band over a combined single ring.
 

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
40,198
It's beautiful. They only change you need is to make the pave bright cut to get what you want. It's v-cut right now. The bright cut will give it the look you want.


You should go for a separate band.

I would not do a bezel.
 

iwantsparkle

Shiny_Rock
Joined
May 25, 2016
Messages
306
liaerfbv|1467838465|4052217 said:
That's a very pretty halo. I always want a bezel so I am biased, but I think I would like it better than prongs for the center stone. Good pave shouldn't be rough at all, and with a plain shank you won't really feel the halo very much on your hand. I also have a pave halo with a plain shank, but mine is bright cut pave so a little different.

I do not like the 2nd or 3rd rings you posted at all and I think the first is the most refined looking.

As to the quote, DK is the best one to ask how much it will be. People don't really talk quotes here bc it can vary widely even for the same ring depending on stone size, how much melee is needed, type of metal, ring size. Just ask him!
I have been looking exclusively for bezels, so this is so odd (that I am interested in this non-bezel).

I think you are right that the first one does seem more refined than the last two.
 

iwantsparkle

Shiny_Rock
Joined
May 25, 2016
Messages
306
diamondseeker2006|1467839149|4052223 said:
I don't like a bezel with that particular style of pave halo. I do like a bezel with an antique style halo with a milgrain outer edge. Just two different style rings. I think the ring is very pretty as it is. I think the plain shank gives you tons of options for bands. I vastly prefer a separate wedding band over a combined single ring.
I think you are right. I can't picture this ring working with a bezel.

I really (really!) do not want the diamond to stick up very high beyond the setting. I wonder if it will be possible to have this as I envision?
(Only one way to find out!)

Thanks for the feedback.

The separate band does offer lots of options. I can only comfortably wear two bands max and I don't have a lot of finger real estate before my fingers look puffy. But two thin bands should be fine. And there are so many wedding band options.

I am concerned about losing a stone from the pave e-ring, which is borrowing worry because 1. I previously had a pave shank AND an eternity band - and I never lost a stone, and 2. if I lose a stone I will just get another one so - NBD. I'm just a worrywart.
 

iwantsparkle

Shiny_Rock
Joined
May 25, 2016
Messages
306
Gypsy|1467842963|4052261 said:
It's beautiful. They only change you need is to make the pave bright cut to get what you want. It's v-cut right now. The bright cut will give it the look you want.


You should go for a separate band.

I would not do a bezel.
Thanks! I sent an email to inquire about making the ring. I tried to be as specific as possible without looking like a diva, lol.

I googled bright cut - and then asked him about making it that way. Thanks for that clarification. It was so helpful to me.

I also asked about changing the petals a bit and some other stuff.

Hopefully that will not waste his time, and it will give him a good idea of exactly what I would like. I'd like to know if he can do it (timeline?) and price, of course.

I recall that you have a plain shank halo - though not a round stone - and I like how your halo (melee?) compliments but in no way tries to just give the illusion of one larger stone on the ring. I hope that I can convey a similar message. I tried to find pics of rounds as examples, but decided to wait until I hear back from the initial email. I don't want it (the design) super "blurred" to just look like an illusion of a bigger round stone. I want it to look like round with pretty melee.

When I was going down that wormhole, I also noted that you had your shank slimmed from 2.2 to 2. Do you have any thoughts on this? Is it a noticeable difference? It is probably personal preference to some extent, but I'd love your thoughts.
 

iwantsparkle

Shiny_Rock
Joined
May 25, 2016
Messages
306
I am going to start casually searching for a stone.

From searching here/Googling - I think I will check out JBG, LAD (maybe?), and Good Old Gold.

Where else should I look?

I read something here about how several letters less white can present whiter based on the cut and I promptly closed the browser. Lol.
So overwhelming.

I'd love to find something around 1.25-1.50 that is eye clean. Which, hilariously, I thought "OEC" was the term. I don't know what I thought the O stood for (open eye clean? Haha, I don't know.)

But now I realize that it means it's "old european cut" - and they are so pretty.

I am open to an old stone. I mostly just want something that is eye clean, sparkles, and is a good value. Oh, and can be set flush so it isn't sticking up majorly. I am not yet sure if that depends on the setting exclusively, or if OECs are just going to sit up higher because of the top (crown? cut? You know what I mean, I hope.) Someone on here had a gorgeous OEC (I think this was from 2013?) and she remarked that it sat up higher than she wanted but she was going to see if she could get used to it. I don't want that look. How do I communicate that beyond what I have just typed?

Where would you go if you were me?
 

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Joined
Sep 16, 2007
Messages
1,264
I would look at transitional cut stones which won't have as tall a crown as OEC (typically). You should also check out Old World Diamonds, but he has way more inventory not listed on his website so give Adam a call.
 

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
40,198
Part of the reason my stone doesn't blur is the faceting. But that's only part. My previous halo blurred a LOT more.

Know what the difference is? My stone is set higher in my current halo. The WHOLE head is very low. But my stone is set with the girdle a hair ABOVE the halo. And there is super slim 1/2 or 1/4mm box that my stone is set in. It's hard to describe. Plus my halo tilts AWAY from my center stone.

Also my melee is SUPER fine. I have 1/2 pointers in my halo. Most halos have larger melee.

You can look up my thread on google with search terms: gypsy steven halo pricescope

pay attention to the super close ups.

So for you, I would go for a nice chunky OEC. Have the whole head on the ring set low, but the stone set with the girdle at or just a hair above the halo. Have the halo tilted 20 degrees away from the center stone. And have melee smaller than 1 point in your halo. And the pave should be bright cut (no milgrain).
 

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
40,198
As for how high the crown is. Go for a later OEC or a Transitional cut. They will have lower crowns.

What is your budget?

Adam at OWD is FANTASTIC. He just sent out 4 OECs for my friend to evaluate. We got together and sorted through them one by one and she got the loveliest stone.


So contact him.

Do you know what color you want? If you CAN FIND IT a nice I color would be a great choice.

What is your stone budget?
 

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
40,198

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
40,198
Layla%20Steven%20Reset%20close%20up_0.jpg

You see that very thin box around my stone above:

DSCN0698.jpg

See the halo tilt and the girdle set above the halo?
 

iwantsparkle

Shiny_Rock
Joined
May 25, 2016
Messages
306
liaerfbv|1467943528|4052839 said:
I would look at transitional cut stones which won't have as tall a crown as OEC (typically). You should also check out Old World Diamonds, but he has way more inventory not listed on his website so give Adam a call.
Thanks. I have heard about Adam/OWD several times here - so I will definitely check it out.
 

iwantsparkle

Shiny_Rock
Joined
May 25, 2016
Messages
306
Gypsy|1467965572|4052936 said:
Part of the reason my stone doesn't blur is the faceting. But that's only part. My previous halo blurred a LOT more.

Know what the difference is? My stone is set higher in my current halo. The WHOLE head is very low. But my stone is set with the girdle a hair ABOVE the halo. And there is super slim 1/2 or 1/4mm box that my stone is set in. It's hard to describe. Plus my halo tilts AWAY from my center stone.

Also my melee is SUPER fine. I have 1/2 pointers in my halo. Most halos have larger melee.

You can look up my thread on google with search terms: gypsy steven halo pricescope

pay attention to the super close ups.

So for you, I would go for a nice chunky OEC. Have the whole head on the ring set low, but the stone set with the girdle at or just a hair above the halo. Have the halo tilted 20 degrees away from the center stone. And have melee smaller than 1 point in your halo. And the pave should be bright cut (no milgrain).
Thanks! I looked at your pics several times already but didn't notice the slim box the stone is set in. I think that really helps make the distinction. (Along with everything else.)

I am going to check out OECs. I think I really like them assuming they can be placed in a setting that looks how I would like. (And it sounds like it should be possible.)

I'll also check out transitional stones. I think I like OECs more, but it will just depend on what I can find.
 

iwantsparkle

Shiny_Rock
Joined
May 25, 2016
Messages
306
Gypsy|1467967193|4052940 said:
As for how high the crown is. Go for a later OEC or a Transitional cut. They will have lower crowns.

What is your budget?

Adam at OWD is FANTASTIC. He just sent out 4 OECs for my friend to evaluate. We got together and sorted through them one by one and she got the loveliest stone.


So contact him.

Do you know what color you want? If you CAN FIND IT a nice I color would be a great choice.

What is your stone budget?
Budget is $15k max all in. BF said he is happy to do whatever I want (store ring, custom setting, etc), for $15k max.
That would be for the setting, stone, and band.

The more research I do (prices of eye clean OECs/similar, the fact that I want plain shank and smaller melee, and that I would be happy with a thinner band), the more I think I could possibly get my desired rings for less than $15k.

Does Adam send the stones and you look and send them back, or he sends reports/images? (I am guessing the latter.)
 

iwantsparkle

Shiny_Rock
Joined
May 25, 2016
Messages
306
Gypsy|1467967908|4052943 said:
I personally really like K color stones in OECs a lot. So I thought I'd post this one. Because I think its a really glorious stone: http://www.loveaffairdiamonds.com/1-26ct-old-european-cut-diamond-ags-k-vs1/
The four stones you posted all look very lovely. Why do you like K colored stones for OECs? I will definitely read up on the pinned posts, etc.

I want something round that sparkles and doesn't look like a yellow/brown/colored stone, especially when sitting next to the halo. I am guessing a jeweler can look at the stone and decide what kind of melee stones to use so it flows/matches.

Your rings are so beautiful. I don't think people realize how much goes into ring selection/design!

Off to check out those stones again.
 

iwantsparkle

Shiny_Rock
Joined
May 25, 2016
Messages
306
Gypsy|1467968998|4052946 said:
Layla%20Steven%20Reset%20close%20up_0.jpg

You see that very thin box around my stone above:

DSCN0698.jpg

See the halo tilt and the girdle set above the halo?
Only now that you point it out. I will ask DK about this (once he contacts me back).
 

iwantsparkle

Shiny_Rock
Joined
May 25, 2016
Messages
306
I haven't heard from DK yet. I am debating sending another message. But it hasn't been a week yet. (6 days)
 

iwantsparkle

Shiny_Rock
Joined
May 25, 2016
Messages
306
OK! I heard back. Yay!

He quoted me a what I consider to be a very reasonable price.

He said the halo stones would be: "natural G color, VS quality round brilliant."

This is fine right? For example, if I selected an OEC that isn't a G color, it wouldn't clash or anything?
 

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
40,198
You generally want to stay within two color grades (so I would be great) And you have a fabulous budget for what you want. Just call Old World Diamonds and talk to Adam yourself.

Why do I like K's in OECs? Well, most OEC's are lower color. And many well cut OECs face up very white for their color grade. I find K's have just the right amount of tint for me in an OEC.

M's are usually candlelight color. K"s are actually quite white... usually a nice slightly warm white. Same with a lot of J's. I and above (accurately graded) are usually quite white in OECs and transitionals that are well cut.
 

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Nov 12, 2007
Messages
2,565
I think you will notice a color difference between a K colored OEC and G colored halo. This may or may not bother you. Do you know if you like lower colors? In fact, because the stones in a halo are small, they reflect light differently than larger diamonds, and the difference can bother some people, though some people love the contrast. If you don't want to see any hint of color in your OEC center stone, I would suggest an I color or higher OEC, to have little or no contrast with the halo in G color stones.

Maybe even ask the vendor where you get the stone if they can share images/video of it with smaller stones (either a band or in an empty halo) to see how it looks, or you could do that with the stone when you get it in person (bring it to any jewelry store that offers halo semi-mounts), and see how you like the contrast.

Personally, I love lower colored OECs/transitional stones, and they keep the price down. My OEC is an L/M color, and the changeability of the stone in various lighting is super interesting to me, and it was priced very reasonably.
 
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Lucky Alhambra Bracelet
    Lucky Alhambra Bracelet
    Handmade diamond studs
    Handmade diamond studs
    5 Diamond Misconceptions: Part 1
    5 Diamond Misconceptions: Part 1

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor



Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.

New posts

Top