shape
carat
color
clarity

I think I hate my e-ring prongs - need tips

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Hi all,

I posted about my new e-ring in my thread here: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/a-tale-of-two-e-rings.251336/

I have had issues with the prongs since day one, and I am getting really frustrated with the setting as a result. I am hoping for advice / encouragement? I think I am coming to terms with the fact that I love to LOOK at prongs, but I hate the way they feel!!!

I have never had a ring with prongs before, but have worn many bezel set rings for years and some 24/7...I noticed immediately that the prongs on my e-ring were very scratchy - every time I brushed them against clothes or skin - it kinda was a nails-on-chalkboard effect. I was pulling also fuzz / fibers out of the prongs every few hours and they were all around distracting. I took the ring back to the jeweler, and asked that they be discreet and help me come up with a quick solution without involving my fiance as this was a very big purchase for us and I wanted to be thoughtful and not complain about an incredible ring he got for me.

They filed them down, but I didn't see any difference. I had NO idea I was so sensitive to the way they'd feel! :confused: I brought the ring back, this time I talked to my fiance about it - they initially claimed that they couldn't reproduce the issue (it came off as accusatory initially which really upset me) but quickly retracted. They offered to hammer them, shave them further (they already felt teeny tiny to me which made me nervous and I am probably unnaturally paranoid about losing my diamond) and I just said I would prefer they were a different style altogether because they had already been bothering me so much. I settled on claw prongs because they felt smoothest to the touch. He charged me to rebuild them because it was a "scope change". Other fixes (like hammering them down) he wouldn't charge for...my fiance wasn't pleased to have spent thousands on a ring and then pay for a fix I wouldn't have sought if the ring didn't have issues to begin with...but I asked for a stylistic change so settled for a labor fee.

I finally got my ring back and by the next day I knew the same problem persisted!!! They felt a bit smoother, but they were pulling so many fibers and this time are snagging and catching on things! I am so frustrated at this point I don't even want prongs anymore and just want them to redesign a bezel set version with the same petal motif in the basket. Are there some women that just can't live with prongs? I thought they looked more "special" for an e-ring as I already have so many bezel set rings - but maybe I just can't coexist with prongs. I think they look beautiful but I HATE the way my prongs feel.

The vendor is mocking up a quote for a bezel set version of my ring...I am waiting to hear their reply, and hope it isn't outlandish price wise as I don't think prongs should have been causing that many issues even if I have come to hate them. My fiance is now feeling insecure that he made a bad choice or that the ring wasn't good enough and I feel terribly ungrateful / picky to have any complaints about was was the ring of my dreams, but the prongs have already damaged a sweater and a towel, and i am trying really hard not to associate my ring with stress. I just want them to fix it and make a setting that will never have a snagging issue again - they offered to fix the current prongs but I am thinking the bad taste in my mouth about them is a lost cause, and that a new bezel setting will bring new positive associations and be more comfortable so that I am not be constantly aware (in a bad way) of the beautiful ring on my finger.

Here are my current prongs - I sent them this ring as a loose inspiration as the floral theme is important and I tried to find something similar to my current ring to reassure my fiance that he picked something marvelous, which he did!!!: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/chris-erd-is-setting-my-transitional.178155/

IMG-4993.jpg IMG-4994.jpg IMG-4996.jpg

Last edited:

AV_

Ideal_Rock
They cannot be fingered like a bezel set stone, it is the nature of claws.

Nice pun in the title of the thread!

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I’m so confused... is the link to the bezel ring what you are trying for?
I don’t understand why the prongs are a problem. I don’t feel my prongs... they don’t touch my skin anywhere. If I am putting my arm through a fuzzy sweater, yes, you may get a piece of lint caught in a prong but that is normal. I hope you are able to get this resolved to your satisfaction. But don’t feel badly about wanting to love your ring and it be comfortable for you. And I’m sorry the jeweler has given you a difficult time.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Impossible to tell whether your prongs are finished well or not by those photos.

Those velociraptor prongs (to use an old @LaylaR term) are very hit-or-miss - when done very well they’re (almost) sweater-safe. When finished even a tiny bet less than “done very well” they’re catchy, stabby, trippy little menaces. The tips should be smooth and should be touching the surface of the stone.

You might look into other prong styles. Chubbier claws... Tabs are chronologically synergistic and functionally far more forgiving...

81F9E5E7-0B35-4ADC-8715-6DCF970DE482.jpeg DD2228E1-92D6-4814-9A6C-0547C62B2408.jpeg 3149637F-0451-49B0-BC76-982770004C78.jpeg

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
Having had bezel set rings mostly, I feel your pain. It took me a while to get used to my two pronged settings. My 1ct marquise has bead-like prongs so they don't really catch anything, but it's grabbed a few fine fibres. My new ring for my 2ct oval will be in a semi-bezel. I thought long and hard about a prong setting but I decided I'd be less precious about the whole thing if at least in a half bezel. Hope you get the setting that works for you!

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you don't like prongs, you don't like prongs. I have a kid that does not like all sorts of things "touching" that I don't even notice. To him, they are dominating and he can't focus until they go away. Its sounds like you might just have a sensitivity to them.

Forgive yourself and get a bezel setting. I find myself in a similar setting. I have a custom made setting that is perfection and exactly what I wanted. I love it. But, I find that its not as wearable as I'd like and I find the prongs on the side stones a bit pokey -- even though they are finished beautifully. And...I've already chipped the girdle on a stone. I'm considering resetting to a bezel. Sometimes you simply have to experience something to learn what you need to know.

This setting by Love Affair Diamonds came to mind when you said floral.

Erica is lovely to work with and won't make you feel accused. Her bench does really nice bezels that don't overwhelm the stone. Your jeweler sounds like he's being a jerk. Why stick with him? I know this setting is expensive, but I think you would simplify it for less.

David Klass in LA has done many many bezels for PS members and is quite reasonably priced. Your inspiration bezel has been done by him many times.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Thank you...

It’s weird they are catching lint no matter what, even just going about my business. Now they are snagging when they come into contact with fabric (I.e. drying my hands after washing on a towel). Doesn’t seem normal, right?

I’m so confused... is the link to the bezel ring what you are trying for?
I don’t understand why the prongs are a problem. I don’t feel my prongs... they don’t touch my skin anywhere. If I am putting my arm through a fuzzy sweater, yes, you may get a piece of lint caught in a prong but that is normal. I hope you are able to get this resolved to your satisfaction. But don’t feel badly about wanting to love your ring and it be comfortable for you. And I’m sorry the jeweler has given you a difficult time.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Sorry I know the photos are abysmal, my only camera is my iPhone and it has a terrible time with close ups!

I looked at other prongs in the store when choosing the claws, and the jeweler didn’t warn me that the claw prongs were particularly troublesome, which in hindsight, I wish I was told, as they are more problematic than the first ones and down more money. The experience has made me not want prongs altogether because I’m scared of having ongoing issues, but maybe that’s paranoia influenced by my terrible experience with prongs thus far. Is my experience with these claws out of the norm?

Impossible to tell whether your prongs are finished well or not by those photos.

Those velociraptor prongs (to use an old @LaylaR term) are very hit-or-miss - when done very well they’re (almost) sweater-safe. When finished even a tiny bet less than “done very well” they’re catchy, stabby, trippy little menaces. The tips should be smooth and should be touching the surface of the stone.

You might look into other prong styles. Chubbier claws... Tabs are chronologically synergistic and functionally far more forgiving...

81F9E5E7-0B35-4ADC-8715-6DCF970DE482.jpeg DD2228E1-92D6-4814-9A6C-0547C62B2408.jpeg 3149637F-0451-49B0-BC76-982770004C78.jpeg

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
That’s good to know I am not alone..I’d love to just have a ring that I don’t think twice about and am thinking a bezel might be the only way to do that!

Having had bezel set rings mostly, I feel your pain. It took me a while to get used to my two pronged settings. My 1ct marquise has bead-like prongs so they don't really catch anything, but it's grabbed a few fine fibres. My new ring for my 2ct oval will be in a semi-bezel. I thought long and hard about a prong setting but I decided I'd be less precious about the whole thing if at least in a half bezel. Hope you get the setting that works for you!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Thank you...this is reassuring. I had no idea I was so particular about this sort of thing. Of course...As I was typing my response I ran my hand through my hair and yanked a hair out! Argh!!!! You’re right about the “wisdom of experience” neither my fiancé or I could have possibly known that they would drive me crazy. Hindsight is 20/20 I suppose...

I think I should just get a bezel. I’m curious to see what the jeweler has to say and what he quotes. That setting by Erika is absolutely gorgeous. It’s definitely far out of budget, by about $2k...but it is in the right aesthetic wheelhouse, so thank you for sharing. I am hoping the jeweler rectifies the situation as I’d like to give them the chance to make a ring I’m happy with. I will look into DK to have a backup - thank you! I live in Chicago so perhaps I can always look at other jewelers here, as there are plenty to choose from but not sure which are PS recommended. I just would love for the jeweler I have to fix this to simplify things - I think my fiancé feels the same way. But of course if they don’t handle this well then we will look elsewhere. They had honestly been really great until the weird accusatory conversation and he backed off on that really quick when he did indeed replicate the issue and saw it for himself!

If you don't like prongs, you don't like prongs. I have a kid that does not like all sorts of things "touching" that I don't even notice. To him, they are dominating and he can't focus until they go away. Its sounds like you might just have a sensitivity to them.

Forgive yourself and get a bezel setting. I find myself in a similar setting. I have a custom made setting that is perfection and exactly what I wanted. I love it. But, I find that its not as wearable as I'd like and I find the prongs on the side stones a bit pokey -- even though they are finished beautifully. And...I've already chipped the girdle on a stone. I'm considering resetting to a bezel. Sometimes you simply have to experience something to learn what you need to know.

This setting by Love Affair Diamonds came to mind when you said floral.

Erica is lovely to work with and won't make you feel accused. Her bench does really nice bezels that don't overwhelm the stone. Your jeweler sounds like he's being a jerk. Why stick with him? I know this setting is expensive, but I think you would simplify it for less.

David Klass in LA has done many many bezels for PS members and is quite reasonably priced. Your inspiration bezel has been done by him many times.

Last edited:

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah I love bezel everything for this reason specifically! I do seems to catch prongs on anything and it drives me batty. I'd just go for a bezel or even a semi-bezel setting instead. Sholdt do lovely sleek ones.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I suspect a lot of us don’t even realize the ways in which we alter our behavior to stop prongs from catching on things. I know I tuck my finger in when I’m pulling on a sweater or coat, and I don’t towel over where my ring is but rather around it and let the ring itself air dry (I also don’t put soap on it because soap scum doesn’t rinse out easily and dulls the sparkle faster). If you’re not doing those things and it’s catching - IME to some extent that is normal, especially with the prongs style you have. I have some rings that don’t catch at all but they’ve been made by PS recommended vendors who are just better at the fine finishing details. And I still baby them just in case. Now - if you haven’t altered your behavior and are doing things like scrubbing a towel directly over your ring, then I don’t think it’s really fair to blame the jeweler for a problem that comes down mainly to your personal preference rather than a failing on their part. They can’t have anticipated that you wouldn’t be able to tolerate something almost every engaged woman adjusts to.

I can’t recall the name but that one jeweler with the inexpensive antique repro settings is in Chicago, I believe. Ivy something?

ETA Ivy and Rose

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for your feedback - it’s good to know RE daily attending and I’d like to know if I am being at all unreasonable as I have no experience with prongs. I now realize I should fully expect to pay for a new bezel setting but am hoping they come up with something to adjust for the cost of labor for new prongs I paid for that are causing more issues than before. It sounds like claw prongs are known to be finicky and I was not told that at all - I would’ve just opted for a new setting then probably to avoid the additional stress, time and money. I am trying to adjust as per behavior -

I don’t scrub my towel on my ring, I curl my hand when I put on sweaters, etc - every time I changed clothes I noticed it was snagging so now I take the ring off which makes me too nervous to do long term. I guess I had no idea that they required such maintenance and maybe I’m being more careless than I realized! I also have three cats which can’t help...it just drives me crazy that multiple times a day I look down at my hand see long fuzzy strings coming out of my prongs. Kudos to women more patient than I, seriously!

I am all to familiar with Ivy and Rose - thanks for the suggestion.

My jeweler came back with a quote and I expect to move ahead with the bezel setting. I am learning that I am more sensitive than the average Jane, but still am leaning towards the fact that the prongs they made for me are more precarious than average, and should have been advised that they were a poor choice given my primary complaint that brought me back to the jeweler to begin with - they were catching fibers/felt sharp. Im excited about the new setting and think it will be a better fit for my handsy, clumsy self. Thank you all for your help.

Last edited:

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for your feedback - it’s good to know RE daily attending and I’d like to know if I am being at all unreasonable as I have no experience with prongs. I fully expect to pay for a new bezel setting but am hoping they come up with something to adjust for the cost of labor for new prongs I paid for that are causing more issues than before. It sounds like claw prongs are known to be finicky and I was not told that at all - I would’ve just opted for a new setting then probably to avoid the additional stress, time and money. I am trying to adjust as per behavior -

I don’t scrub my towel on my ring, I curl my hand when I put on sweaters, etc - every time I changed clothes I noticed it was snagging so now I take the ring off which makes me too nervous to do long term. I guess I had no idea that they required such maintenance and maybe I’m being more careless than I realized! I also have three cats which can’t help...it just drives me crazy that multiple times a day I look down at my hand see long fuzzy strings coming out of my prongs. Kudos to women more patient than I, seriously!

I am all to familiar with Ivy and Rose - thanks for the suggestion.

My jeweler came back with a quote and I expect to move ahead with the bezel setting. I am learning that I am more sensitive than the average Jane, but still am leaning towards the fact that the prongs they made for me are more precarious than average, and should have been advised that they were a poor choice given my primary complaint that brought me back to the jeweler to begin with - they were catching fibers. Im excited about the new setting and think it will be a better fit. Thank you all for your help.

Make sure to have a look at actual bezel settings they have actually done before your send them money. Delicate and well made bezels are not easy to accomplish. A lot of folks do a tube setting and then leave it rather square. I'm a fan of vintage setting with very rounded top and bottom edges.

1574438476112.png

1574438654585.png

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Ooh thanks for the heads up!! I saw that they did one recently and in the past that looked pretty with delicate milgrain, which is what I was hoping for. Should I ask for a wax cast of the ring first? I have the luxury of being local and can see it in person. I’ll make sure when I go in next to see the bezels they have done. The one you provided is very lovely - do you possibly have an example of a “bad” bezel? Or is it more a matter of preference

Make sure to have a look at actual bezel settings they have actually done before your send them money. Delicate and well made bezels are not easy to accomplish. A lot of folks do a tube setting and then leave it rather square. I'm a fan of vintage setting with very rounded top and bottom edges.

1574438476112.png

1574438654585.png

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooh thanks for the heads up!! I saw that they did one recently and in the past that looked pretty with delicate milgrain, which is what I was hoping for. Should I ask for a wax cast of the ring first? I have the luxury of being local and can see it in person. I’ll make sure when I go in next to see the bezels they have done. The one you provided is very lovely - do you possibly have an example of a “bad” bezel? Or is it more a matter of preference

For your vintage ring and to me...this would be travesty. Sharp edges, straight sides. The other difference is that this is solid, from the side, and I'm suggesting something more open.

1574443785064.png

Gorgeous!
1574443916748.png

1574443931091.png

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Thank you that’s extremely helpful to see an example! I actually showed him that exact ring as the “gorgeous” example as inspiration, so hopefully he can live up to that level of craftsmanship and I will be sure to ask for CADs first!
For your vintage ring and to me...this would be travesty. Sharp edges, straight sides. The other difference is that this is solid, from the side, and I'm suggesting something more open.

1574443785064.png

Gorgeous!
1574443916748.png

1574443931091.png

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Well - we went in yesterday and I brought in a bunch of old jewelry I don't often wear (among the pieces was a honking 14g solid 14k yellow gold ring, a dainty little 14k sapphire solitaire with a teeny tiny stone and a funky sterling silver / hematite Tiffany's choker in the original packaging that has always been too small and looks very early late 1990s - as that's when it is from)!

I can say so far, as long as the final product is executed well - they definitely made the situation "right", they traded in the old setting for wholesale cost and gave a credit for the labor on the 2nd round of prongs. They ended up owing us a small amount which we will credit towards wedding rings. I think we were all frustrated by the situation and I am glad that I see the light at the end of the tunnel. I also had fun looking round their shop, making sure the shank was the ideal width and looked at two other bezel rings they had which were very pretty.

I just got the CADs (they were FAST!) and my fiance and I are really excited. Obviously the stone is much warmer...but it's the right scale. We made some changes to the inspiration design, like a comfort fit shank and a slimmer bezel, it will be in 14k unplated white gold as I like the *slight* warmth. I won't pretend that it is an original design but it is just perfect, and without Pricescope I never would've found something that captured what we wanted. I can not wait to have it back and put this stress behind me, I also got a quote from David Klass per recommendations as a back up in case it is somehow a complete train wreck! Thank you all so much.

0 (3).jpg 0 (2).jpg 0 (1).jpg 0.jpg

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That looks nice to me, although I am not a CAD expert. I did CADs with a local jeweler and it went very well. Just like you I checked out their work first and then posted the CADs for review on PS.

You may want to start a new thread asking for a CAD review. Folks here are very good at reading CADs.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Screenshot_20191126_111010.jpg
vs.
1574784910892.png

The top of the shoulder in the CAD is higher than your inspo. In the inspo, the shoulder touches at the bottom of a diamond. In the CAD, it is all the way to the bezel. I prefer it as in the inspo.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Screenshot_20191126_111010.jpg
vs.
1574784910892.png

The top of the shoulder in the CAD is higher than your inspo. In the inspo, the shoulder touches at the bottom of a diamond. In the CAD, it is all the way to the bezel. I prefer it as in the inspo.

Oh that's a great point - thank you!!! I think you are dead on - the inspo is a better design - I emailed them to make that change.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
That looks nice to me, although I am not a CAD expert. I did CADs with a local jeweler and it went very well. Just like you I checked out their work first and then posted the CADs for review on PS.

You may want to start a new thread asking for a CAD review. Folks here are very good at reading CADs.

Thank you very much - assume that is Rocky Talky post?

SouthernElle

Shiny_Rock
Oh man, this makes me nervous about my ring that is in production. My engagement ring is all bezel set stones and I didn’t even think about it feeling so different with prongs. :eek2: Your new design looks beautiful! Can’t wait to see pictures!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Oh man, this makes me nervous about my ring that is in production. My engagement ring is all bezel set stones and I didn’t even think about it feeling so different with prongs. :eek2: Your new design looks beautiful! Can’t wait to see pictures!

Aww thank you!!! Wait so you are switching from prongs to a bezel? Or you have a bezel and are switching to prongs?

The jeweler also said they saw a small gap in one of the prongs and offered to fix it, but I just went ahead with the bezel because I knew it would drive me nuts. So, there was a cause for the issue, and to top it off I think that I am way more sensitive than the average lady so don't despair.

***Edit*** - I see some of your posts now, I think your CADs for the new setting are absolutely gorgeous and quite different from the dainty little thing I had! I had six tiny claw prongs and honestly DK is better known for craftsmanship on this forum.

I think part of what made me feel like my setting was so fragile is that so much of the edge of the stone was exposed, and it made me feel like I could chip it so was especially paranoid about moving my hand around. Your setting has a lovely substantial halo, so it's not like prongs are right up to the edge and waiting to snag either, there are only four and they look bigger...I am not anywhere the expert level of some of the ladies on PS, but I wouldn't be afraid because of my post! I can't wait to see YOUR ring either! What a stunner

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results