shape
carat
color
clarity

I see pinpoints like clouds but not stated in GIA report

Keenlearner

Rough_Rock
2965FE65-BD5E-4CF6-B56C-2D50E42219CC.jpeg 81FA798E-98B6-40EA-8BB3-E939EDB74ED4.jpeg I see pinpoint crystal tinny bubbles around where the arrows are pointing (sorry the picture doesn’t show it that well and that was before I cleaned it) and around where the colour is green, initially I thought it’s just dirty but after giving it a thorough clean, it is still there under 10x loupe and under ideal and aset scopes.

This is a VS1 diamond
The GIA report says “pinpoints not shown”. I would think with that many pinpoints they would classify those as clouds. Someone here mentioned that the clarity is measured faced up, so if I tilt my diamond and look using the 10x and found these pinpoints more noticeable,GIA won’t plot them? What is weird is that these white dots stands out way more than the plotted inclusions, I can hardly see those.

That brings me to my next question, this diamond is laser inscribed with GIA number, does that mean it won’t be switched? Asking this because laser inscription is easy to do on any diamonds these days. When the shop showed me the video, I can see clearly the crystal in the center but I hardly can see it with 10x and not sure if that really is the crystal or just dirty with my untrained eyes (although I have experience working under microscopes for 10 years in labs). Should I get an independent appraiser to verify if this stone is the GIA stone even if the laser inscription is correct?

In summary, I’m paranoid because:
1. I can’t find the crystal on the table but I can see it in the video
2. Additional pinpoint clouds (lots of them near the edge of one side) not shown in GIA report, is it because I’m viewing it in a different angle and not straight face up? Or is that a reflection of the natural inclusion near the edge? Do natural girdle reflect little dots on the side like that?

Thanks

EvaEvans

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I think that your diamond just need a good washing...
Most probably what you see is a dust over the diamond surface.

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock

I was just going to say the same ... was looking at the exact same thing just a few minutes ago, and my diamonds were just dirty.

Did you get your diamond from a reputable vendor? Although it’s always possible a diamond can be switched, engraving can be changed etc ... it happens very rarely .. . and I’m pretty sure I can see the plotted cloud under the table in your ASET image.

Last edited:

Keenlearner

Rough_Rock

Thanks EvaEvans, I soaked and washed using a toothbrush multiple times, dried with lint free cloth and I still see it :(

Keenlearner

Rough_Rock
I was just going to say the same ... was looking at the exact same thing just a few minutes ago, and my diamonds were just dirty.

Did you get your diamond from a reputable vendor? Although it’s always possible a diamond can be switched, engraving can be changed etc ... it happens very rarely .. . and I’m pretty sure I can see the plotted cloud under the table in your ASET image.

Thanks Kmoro, I still can’t really 100% sure I can see the crystal under the table. I can’t find all the plotted inclusions on the report at all under 10x, I guess it’s a VS1...really hope it’s just dirty, the shop name is reputable but switching can occur from their own vendor or during setting or from their staff. I think this is rare as well but google tells me there are cases like this out there.

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Kmoro, I still can’t really 100% sure I can see the crystal under the table. I can’t find all the plotted inclusions on the report at all under 10x, I guess it’s a VS1...really hope it’s just dirty, the shop name is reputable but switching can occur from their own vendor or during setting or from their staff. I think this is rare as well but google tells me there are cases like this out there.

If it’s still troubling you, take it to a gemologist to see what they think.

I was recently concerned about clarity and I was reminded that there can be facet reflections - and also, at more than 10x, there can be plenty more to see... clarity is graded at 10x, so ..

I suppose switching is a risk we all face when we buy our diamonds, but it really is rare, and the uniqueness of each diamond can usually be easily checked against the lab report by an expert. Just don’t wait too long.

I wanted to mention that it can be difficult to clean a diamond 100%, so even though you cleaned it, I think that is dust or dirt.

holeydonut

Shiny_Rock
Dusty diamonds are easily the worst part of trying to buy a diamond. I think your best bet is to have the diamond steam cleaned then let you immediately inspect it. When I try the soapy-soak approach with tooth brush at home, it still leaves dust.

For the ring I bought my fiance, I had her inspect everything the moment it arrived in the mail so she could get "mind clean" on the VVS clarity before dust set in. Also for the mind-clean feelings, I think it's important for jewelers to set the diamond where the inscription # is visible in the setting (if the setting and placement of the inscription allow it).

EvaEvans

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thanks EvaEvans, I soaked and washed using a toothbrush multiple times, dried with lint free cloth and I still see it :(
Steam it with professional steamer and dry it only with air flow (hairdryer).
It is not possible to see the additional clouds but not to see the major GIA inclusions.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
You may have already posted it somewhere but im just getting out of the hospital so have been mia for a couple days.
Please post the gia report number and all the images you have. Hearts image would be useful if you have one before it was set.
Are you in a return period?

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You may have already posted it somewhere but im just getting out of the hospital so have been mia for a couple days.
Please post the gia report number and all the images you have. Hearts image would be useful if you have one before it was set.
Hope all is well, Karl!

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hope you are doing better Karl!! We missed you.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium

My first impulse was to click the « Report Concern » button.
Hope you are OK!

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The purpose of the stone plot is to identify the diamond and to support the clarity grade. It does not necessarily contain every feature in the stone. Hence the pinpoints are commented by not plotted. Having said that, the crystal under the table should be easy to verify with 10x (especially if you are accustomed to working with a microscope).
Therefore, I think there may be some legitimate concern and I would advise you to take the stone to an independent expert, just for peace of mind.
It is possible to inscribe a stone with any number, but fraud is very unlikely. However, it is often very easy to misread the numbers. A 6 can look like an 8 etc. Stones with very similar numbers can get mixed up.
Best to get this professionally sorted out.

Keenlearner

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for the reply, I got it checked by a professional appraiser and I feel once he saw the inscription number on the diamond, he fully trusted that this is what it is. He also said he can see that crystal under the table (I still can’t, maybe I should order a 20x loupe). He said the pinpoints and clouds I’m referring to are dirt, he said my setting is very tight, secured and closed, the prongs covered a lot of the diamond up so it is very hard to clean it completely. He gave me his appraiser report for insurance purposes and told me not to get so worried unnecessarily and paranoid about it because I wear the ring everyday and it will always be dirty. I guess I’ll just have to let it go about those dirty dots that I can’t get rid off and hope that I can see the crystal under the table with a 20x magnification.

Keenlearner

Rough_Rock

Hi Karl_K hope you are well. Here is the link to the video and certificate. You can see that there is a crystal dot clearly visible on the table in the video. https://segoma.com/v.aspx?tpl=0&type=view&id=T4XK62LTWW

I don’t have the hearts image and I can’t return this.

Another thing that bothered me was that the actual GIA hard copy certificate doesn’t look new, it has faint brown stain dot at one area and looks like it was opened and read a lot of times, does this indicate that it is a second hand diamond? The diamond was graded 1.5 years ago. I know a lot of people here don’t care about getting a diamond that was worn by others before, but I feel a bit weird about it. I also learnt that even if the report is recent you can’t gurantee that it was never worn by others as vendors send the diamond back for new certificate. Maybe I should go with custom cut next time.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results