shape
carat
color
clarity

I need your help to price a diamond!!

Hijoeammax

Rough_Rock
My firend is trying to sell me this diamond, being new in diamond trading Ive just started to learn to price diamond but am not quite good yet. So here is the diamond on picture I have price it to around 2500 $ USD give me your opinion.
Being new on this forum I will be pleased by your help.
Thank you! 1123 diamond.PNG Capture.PNG leftone2.jpeg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you in the trade? If so, you need to designate yourself as a trade member.
Are you asking what you should pay for this stone or are you asking what is a good price to sell this stone at?

Those pictures look like two different stones. Not sure if it's an optical illusion or what.

Hijoeammax

Rough_Rock
Are you in the trade? If so, you need to designate yourself as a trade member.
Are you asking what you should pay for this stone or are you asking what is a good price to sell this stone at?

Those pictures look like two different stones. Not sure if it's an optical illusion or what.

Hello thank you for answering. Yea they do look like two different stones ill see with him.
What i am asking is how much do you think this diamond is worth?

Hijoeammax

Rough_Rock

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for your reply. Is it logical that to compare te price of a diamond only by its characteristic. Are there others factors that may affect the price?

Tons of things affect price. Color, whether it's a graded stone (e.g. comes with a GIA/AGS certificate, etc). I agree that the 2 pics make it look like different stones.The first pic cannot be an I2 stone--its way too clean. And the faceting pattern/shape look different in the 2 pics. All of this is a massive red flag to me. Who is trying to sell this, and what are they asking? 2500 would be insanely cheap for a 2ct fancy colored stone, but of course depends on how severe the inclusions are. At least if you buy from somewhere like James allen you know what you're getting and know that the stone in the pics is the same one that you'll actually receive.

Hijoeammax

Rough_Rock
Tons of things affect price. Color, whether it's a graded stone (e.g. comes with a GIA/AGS certificate, etc). I agree that the 2 pics make it look like different stones.The first pic cannot be an I2 stone--its way too clean. And the faceting pattern/shape look different in the 2 pics. All of this is a massive red flag to me. Who is trying to sell this, and what are they asking? 2500 would be insanely cheap for a 2ct fancy colored stone, but of course depends on how severe the inclusions are. At least if you buy from somewhere like James allen you know what you're getting and know that the stone in the pics is the same one that you'll actually receive.

So here is a video,
looking at it, it indeed look likes two different stone. But can we agree that wathever the diamond it never cost less then 2500 $ for a 2.02 ct

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So here is a video,
looking at it, it indeed look likes two different stone. But can we agree that wathever the diamond it never cost less then 2500 $ for a 2.02 ct

The video is so low resolution that I just can't tell anything. I don't love the color in the video, and can't tell anything about inclusions or cut. Is the person asking 2500? I wouldn't risk buying this, there are too many red flags.

Hijoeammax

Rough_Rock
The video is so low resolution that I just can't tell anything. I don't love the color in the video, and can't tell anything about inclusions or cut. Is the person asking 2500? I wouldn't risk buying this, there are too many red flags.

I agree with you but if I wanted to buy it how I can assure myself that I dont get scammed

headlight

Ideal_Rock
This is not a Fancy Colored diamond, It is, as per it's IGI report, graded as a W-X which is Light Yellow... of the Normal D-Z Grading Scale, and NOT a Fancy Light Yellow. Very different. (Although, with that said, I actually am drawn to W-X stones, but one would not want to pay Fancy pricing for a W-X.)

Hijoeammax

Rough_Rock
This is not a Fancy Colored diamond, It is, as per it's IGI report, graded as a W-X which is Light Yellow... of the Normal D-Z Grading Scale, and NOT a Fancy Light Yellow. Very different. (Although, with that said, I actually am drawn to W-X stones, but one would not want to pay Fancy pricing for a W-X.)

And why is that?
sd one much should it cost

headlight

Ideal_Rock
And why is that?
sd one much should it cost

Why is what? Why is it not a Fancy, or why do I like W-X stones?
A diamond is not of fancy color until after Z on the D-Z grading scale. This stone is, per IGI, W-X, so it is still within the normal color grading scale, not fancy.
I like light yellow stones, so I would be happy with a W-X and save a lot of money for a somewhat similar look, depending on cutting style, of something just over the Z threshold.
You would need to do a comparison to other stones of similar specifications but, as @lovedogs pointed out, a "report" from IGI lab is not on par with gemological labs like GIA and AGS, so you are not comparing similar items. You need to anticipate that if that stone was graded by GIA it may, quite likely, be graded lower.

Hijoeammax

Rough_Rock
Why is what? Why is it not a Fancy, or why do I like W-X stones?
A diamond is not of fancy color until after Z on the D-Z grading scale. This stone is, per IGI, W-X, so it is still within the normal color grading scale, not fancy.
I like light yellow stones, so I would be happy with a W-X and save a lot of money for a somewhat similar look, depending on cutting style, of something just over the Z threshold.
You would need to do a comparison to other stones of similar specifications but, as @lovedogs pointed out, a "report" from IGI lab is not on par with gemological labs like GIA and AGS, so you are not comparing similar items. You need to anticipate that if that stone was graded by GIA it may, quite likely, be graded lower.

So if you where the buyer how much would you have payed for? Concidering you wanted to resale it and not keepitfor personal use

headlight

Ideal_Rock
So if you where the buyer how much would you have payed for? Concidering you wanted to resale it and not keepitfor personal use

I have no ideal, it’s not something on my radar... you need to do the research.

Hijoeammax

Rough_Rock
I have no ideal, it’s not something on my radar... you need to do the research.

Are there any legitimate ways to assure myself 100% that what hesselling me is not a fake diamond or some kind of knock off?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are there any legitimate ways to assure myself 100% that what hesselling me is not a fake diamond or some kind of knock off?

The only way is to take it to an appraiser (not a jeweler who wants you to buy from them, but a third party appraiser who is independant and has no vested interest in what you buy). That is the only way to be sure. Again, I wouldn't buy this. There are too many red flags. The dishonest image is one, and if the person told you this is a fancy colored diamond that is another red flag. This is not a fancy colored diamond, this is a W-X diamond (which means it's in the normal D-Z range and will look light yellowish. It will not be as intensely colored as a fancy yellow stone. I just wouldn't want to buy from someone who was dishonest, period. Is this from a vendor that has a return policy?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PS. As @PreRaphaelite said, this person was already dishonest. Those 2 picture differences aren't optical illusions. They are 2 entirely different diamonds.

Hijoeammax

Rough_Rock
PS. As @PreRaphaelite said, this person was already dishonest. Those 2 picture differences aren't optical illusions. They are 2 entirely different diamonds.

With the situation going around all over the world people are desparate to sell what they have so they survive on so little. HEs offering me a good price but he does look dishonest and I will take all the precaution so I dont get scammed. That why am asking you, experienced people.

He is selling me for a total of 2800$
WhatsApp Image 2020-04-08 at 3.39.51 PM.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2020-04-08 at 3.39.52 PM.jpeg this one
And

Capture.PNG leftone2.jpeg this one

What are your thoughts?

lmyracle

Shiny_Rock
Premium
My thoughts are to take the advice already given here and not buy from this vendor. Take your time. Do ample homework so you will KNOW what is a good price for what you're buying. Stay away from shady vendors!

Starfacet

Ideal_Rock
Premium
With the situation going around all over the world people are desparate to sell what they have so they survive on so little. HEs offering me a good price but he does look dishonest and I will take all the precaution so I dont get scammed. That why am asking you, experienced people.

He is selling me for a total of 2800$
WhatsApp Image 2020-04-08 at 3.39.51 PM.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2020-04-08 at 3.39.52 PM.jpeg this one
And

Capture.PNG leftone2.jpeg this one

What are your thoughts?
My thoughts echo those of others: you could do better elsewhere. I personally would not buy a diamond that does not have a GIA, AGS, or GCAL cert. I might even buy one with a PGS or EGL cert, but not IGI. I also wouldn't personally buy an I2 clarity diamond. The inclusions are going to be obvious to the naked eye even without magnification, and that would drive me crazy. It may not bother you, but this has to be judged on a case-by-case basis, so it would be imperative that you have the ability to return if you don't like the stone.

You say that he does look dishonest, so why are you still pursuing him as a vendor? I get it that people are hurting financially all over because of the current economic situation, but that doesn't mean you have to be the one to keep him afloat.

Please do not buy these stones without an agreement that you can return for any reason once you see them in person. If you can't find a third party appraiser who is open (not one who also sells jewelry as @lovedogs pointed out - it needs to be a disinterested party), then do not buy right now! Just my opinion.

Last edited:

Hijoeammax

Rough_Rock
My thoughts echo those of others: you could do better elsewhere. I personally would not buy a diamond that does not have a GIA, AGS, or GCAL cert. I might even buy one with a PGS or EGL cert, but not IGI. I also wouldn't personally buy an I2 clarity diamond. The inclusions are going to be obvious to the naked eye even without magnification, and that would drive me crazy. It may not bother you, but this has to be judged on a case-by-case basis, so it would be imperative that you have the ability to return if you don't like the stone.

You say that he does look dishonest, so why are you still pursuing him as a vendor? I get it that people are hurting financially all over because of the current economic situation, but that doesn't mean you have to be the one to keep him afloat.

Please do not buy these stones without an agreement that you can return for any reason once you see them in person. If you can't find a third party appraiser who is open (not one who also sells jewelry as @lovedogs pointed out - it needs to be a disinterested party), then do not buy right now! Just my opinion.

Your completly right and I would never buy without any kind of return policy. For the financial part, I was just pointing out that hes selling a 2.02 Ct diamond for a low price becasue of the current situation. I just wanted to make sure here, that what I was buying was worth the price!

Starfacet

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your completly right and I would never buy without any kind of return policy. For the financial part, I was just pointing out that hes selling a 2.02 Ct diamond for a low price becasue of the current situation. I just wanted to make sure here, that what I was buying was worth the price!
Could also be that he's trying to unload an I2 clarity diamond that's he's having trouble unloading. Sorry if I missed it in a previous post, but what is the occasion you're buying for? Or is this purchase just for fun?

Hijoeammax

Rough_Rock
Could also be that he's trying to unload an I2 clarity diamond that's he's having trouble unloading. Sorry if I missed it in a previous post, but what is the occasion you're buying for? Or is this purchase just for fun?

I have some money aside, so I am buying as like a investements so I could sell it for more after.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have some money aside, so I am buying as like a investements so I could sell it for more after.

then DEFINITELY don't buy this. These are not investments by any stretch. It's one thing if you love the stones and want to set them (I still don't recommend them because of the dishonest vendor), but there is no part of me that can recommend you buying these as investments.

new-beginning

Shiny_Rock
you said it was a 2+ carat stone; the IGI report refererncesa. .50 (1/2) carat stone. Which one is correct?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
you said it was a 2+ carat stone; the IGI report refererncesa. .50 (1/2) carat stone. Which one is correct?

I think op means that the vendor / seller is offering both stones for 2800 (the .5 and 2ct).

Hijoeammax

Rough_Rock
I think op means that the vendor / seller is offering both stones for 2800 (the .5 and 2ct).

Regardless of seller dishonesty. Is it a good price for both those stones?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results