shape
carat
color
clarity

I need to vent for a minute... (LONG, so sorry!!)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

teebee

Brilliant_Rock
Okay, so, Bryan & I were officially engaged this last Wednesday, January 12th. We started looking at rings March of 2003.

When we met, in August of 2002, we were introduced by a mutual friend ~ my friend Michelle who I had previously worked with and Bryan had very briefly dated. Now, I love this girl, she is so much fun, smart, good-hearted, etc. When we worked together we would go eat Thai food together (we have a mutual obsession with Asian food) at least 2x a week. When she left the company for another job, we still talked often, had lunch together, played hookie from work and went to see matinee movies together. And she was always so excited that it had worked out between me & Bryan. She has a terrific husband and he and Bryan have hit it off as well. So, everything is great... The four of us went on vacation to Mexico last May and had such a blast, fun fun fun!!! And, although she has always been somewhat of a free-spirit sort of scatterbrained individual, she''s never really been thoroughly neglectful or cold.

Like, sometimes I would call her and leave a message or two, and she''d not get around to calling me back for a week or few ~ usually there was a completely legitimate and valid excuse (she travels a lot for her job, as does her husband so sometimes their schedules can get pretty manic). And after that sort of thing would occurr she would apologize profusely and she''d make sure to find time within a few days to get together for lunch or dinner or invite me over to their house, etc.

So, last summer she and her husband bought a new home and we went over for their housewarming get together. In the meantime I was completing the remodel on my house and getting ready to put it on the market & making all the preparations to move to Oklahoma City to be w/ Bryan. Once I moved to OKC, she and I talked several times, and when she was in town we met for wine and appetizers, had a good time and joked about my not having a ring yet and that whether there was an engagement or not, she and her husband were headed back to Mexico in May for our wedding... Then I was back in Tulsa a couple of weeks later to accept the offer on my house, she and I had lunch again, everything is fine...

Then a month later I was back in Tulsa to go to the closing on my house, this was late October, so I called her, left a message. She didn''t call back, not too unusual, so a couple of weeks later I left another message just saying hi, wanted to catch up... Never called me back... I called her a week or so after Thanksgiving, never called me back. But, since she''s a scatterbrain (but not stupid, she''s smart and her job requires a pretty high degree of organizationall skills...) and it''s the holidays, I figure she''s really busy and I give her the benefit of the doubt.

So, ever since Bryan and I started talking marriage, I had of course considered her for one of my bridesmaids, especially since she was responsible for us meeting in the first place. And, I just don''t have a lot of girl friends... I''m just one of those people that is kind of a homebody and I enjoy my time alone. I just don''t have a lot of life-long close friends, it seems that I often have friends for a few years, but we drift apart, and I''ve always felt that sometimes, we have friends in our lives that are there for a reason or for a specific time in our lives, not necessarily forever. But I always thought Michelle would be one of the exceptions to that. One of the reasons I was so sad to move from Tulsa was that she and I had talked about how fun it would be to live in the same neighborhood, raise our babies together, etc.

And now I''m engaged and waiting to surprise my family w/ it until we see them at the end of this month... But, I''m just bursting at the seems to tell someone!!! So, I call Michelle Saturday and her husband answers the phone, says she''s out running errands, I tell him that I''ve had trouble getting a hold of her, so just tell her I called. Then I leave a message on her cell to please call me back.... She hasn''t called me back... And I''m so upset and hurt... I just don''t understand what happened???? I haven''t talked to her since September & that is obviously way beyond the scope of "oops, I got so busy I haven''t had a chance to call you back"...

I''m not sure what to do, because some part of me wants to confront her about just completely dropping me. Another problem is that her husband and my fiance exchange emails periodically and so, essentially, they are now better friends than I am with Michelle. I will still invite them to the wedding, that won''t bother me at all. But, I''m also tempted to never call her again, just send them an invitation in about a year and call it good. I would guess at that point she would call and congratulate me and ask me when we got engaged, to which I would respond "oh, a year ago, I tried calling to tell you, but you never called back." Is that completely petty of me? Bryan has offered to email her husband, just be straight and honest and tell him that we''re engaged, Michelle won''t return my calls, and I''m really hurt, what''s the deal? Or, I considered just leaving another message, saying hey, we''re engaged, really wanted to tell you voice to voice...

Oh good grief, I don''t know... Part of me just wants to call it a loss and write her off, and initially, that''s what Bryan advised me to do ~ I''ve made my effort, plenty of it, if she can''t even reciprocate a phone call, so be it. But even Bryan agrees that she''s just not a bad person, she''s not mean, and he''s a little curious about what the deal is too... Anyhow, I have no idea how to handle this, and I was just really really excited to share this excitement with her even though we hadn''t talked in a while. And I''m disappointed that it doesn''t appear that I have even one close friend to call and be happy for me.
7.gif

I''ve met several of Bryan''s friends wives, and they''re great and I''m sure in time, they will be close friends as well, but... you know, for right now, it''s just not the same. I''m going to ask my cousin to be my maid of honor and I guess the other 3 bridesmaids will be wives of Bryan''s friends.
20.gif

Okay, thanks for listening, or reading...? and letting me vent... sometimes, people suck...

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Oh Teebee, that is such a hard situation, I am sorry.

I suppose you could always try her cell again, and if you get voicemail, just say hi there, I miss you, this is my last turn at phone tag after 3 months....hope everything is ok with you, please call me, I have some news and I don''t want to leave it in a message.???

Or do you feel like you''ve essentially already done that w/ the message to her husband, etc?

People can be so weird sometimes, and it''s so hurtful that she seems to have just dropped off the earth without a word.

You''ve clearly already made so much of an effort and she isn''t reciprocating.

Or you could go the route of having Bryan e-mail her husband basically what you said--that you miss her, have had no luck getting a call back for over 3 months and hope everything is ok, and oh yeah, you''re engaged. I wonder what her deal is!?

It''s a quandry. I''m afraid my .02 isn''t so great
8.gif

SJS1234

Shiny_Rock
I''m sorry Teebee!! That does stink!!! I agree with Blueroses suggestions....

Do you think everything is ok in her life right now? I ask because I went through a divorce a couple of years ago and for quite some time I "hid" from many of my dearest friends. I just couldn''t bear talking about it any more than I already was -- so I avoided everyone. I''m sure her marriage is fine -- but you never know. Maybe she''s having other issues that are taking a toll on her.

But again, try Blueroses suggestions -- leave her a message similar to that one -- and if that doesn''t get a response then talk to or email her husband....and if THAT doesn''t work, well then I guess you have to just move on from it.

Good luck!! We''ll be your friends!!!!!!!!

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Teebee, SJS brings up a good point I hadn''t thought of. One of my BEST friends whose wedding I was recently in, etc. dropped off the planet around 6 years ago. She was having an affair with a much older married man and was just in this deep spiral of self-loathing and shame and wouldn''t talk to anyone, and it literally took the death of one of our mutual best friends for her to come to her senses and get back in touch with all of us.

Anyway, it sounds like it''s probably not anything to do with her marriage, but maybe she''s in a bad place professionally, with family, or friends? Maybe if you do contact her again just a "wanting to make sure you''re ok" comment or tone couldn''t hurt? I dunno. This could be off-base, but some people really do withdraw from the people around them....my friends know that when it takes 3 voicemails for me to call them back that I''m probably depressed. I''m better online at those times!!

Blue824

Brilliant_Rock
Oh Teebee, I''m so sorry. It is really hard when a friendship changes like that. Especially when it should be such a happy time for you!

I have to also agree with blueroses''s suggestion and just flat out state that you really miss her and what''s up and just be honest - you have news that you are so excited to share with her, and that you are concerned about her since you haven''t heard from her in so long. If she still chooses to ignore it, then maybe she really has just had a sudden change of heart. Something I''ve done for a couple people I hadn''t heard from in a while was just drop a cute card in the mail, that usually got them to give a call back or an email and started us talking again. I had one of my closest friends from college go from talking to me every day, and hanging out multiple times a week and then after graduation and we moved it was like she''d rather focus her attn on those that were around her and didn''t talk to me for like 2-3 mos. It''s gotten a little better, but I''ve just recently stopped worrying about it and pretty much moved on and look at her totally differently.

appletini

Ideal_Rock
teebee...no fun...bad phone ettiquite is so rude on her part. Have your fiance emaill her husband with the news. I''m sure that she will call you right away as soon as she hears that!

teebee

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks so much ladies ~ I so appreciate you!!

blueroses ~ you''re 2 cents is worth a lot to me!! Sometimes, I feel so close to the situation that I can''t tell if I''m being overly sensitive or too willing to make excuses for this girl (I think we should write a book about friends and call it "She''s Just Not That Into You"). I think I will give it some additional thought today and talk it over with Bryan tonight... In some way, by saying to her husband that I can''t ever seem to get a hold of her, that I was communicating some sort of disappointment, but who knows if he picked up on that... And part of me doesn''t want to leave another message and tell her I''ve got big news, it sort of feels like I''m either begging her to call me or some mild form of blackmail "i''ve got news, but you have to call to find out what it is". Because, should I really have to have big news for her to want to call and just catch up??? I mean, up until this last call, I haven''t had any news, I just wanted to chat, because she''s my friend and I care about her...

SJS ~ I hadn''t really considered that possibility, but thank you for bringing it to my attention. I don''t know, she and her husband have always seemed to have such a great and happy, fun, strong marriage... Of course anything is possible. I did notice that her voicemail message no longer states the name of the company she works for, but last time I saw her she had been interviewing, it''s possible that she''s started a new job, but still... a new job would be a good thing, stressful, but good...

I know that one thing that has always kind of bothered me is that she does have other friends that I know for a fact that she speaks to on a daily basis... But, since I''m not as social as that, and I''m kind of stingy with my time, I let it go that she is kinda flaky when it comes to communicating with me, but not some of her other friends... And I also wrote it off to the fact that she and these other friends have very flexible work schedules, where mine was not, and that allowed all of them the freedom to talk on the phone whenever and I couldn''t. I keep wondering if I did something or said something??? I''ve replayed our last few conversations and just can''t remember anything that would warrant her being pissed off...
20.gif

I''m thinking that, even if I get a hold of her, or she calls me back, apologizes & whatnot... I kinda think I shouldn''t have her as a bridesmaid after all... I mean, if she can''t return a phone call for 3 months, then how can I count on her for anything related to my wedding???
33.gif

teebee

Brilliant_Rock
Those are all really good points. I have been pretty wrapped up in moving in with Bryan and adjusting to living together and in a new city, along with going back to college at age 30, getting engaged, etc. that I just kind of assumed her life was just flowing along as normal. Maybe it''s not???

Maybe I will send her a card. When I left her a message on her cell phone on Saturday, I said, pretty much word for word: "hey michelle, it''s traci. i''ve called a few times but never can seem to be able to get a hold of you. i left a message with john at the house... i just wanted to call and say hi and see how you''re doing. call me back, bye!!" So, does that communicate a little concern or if so, not enough? I really hope there is nothing wrong, I would feel like a completely self-absorbed heel...

Cath

Shiny_Rock
Hi Teebee,

I was thinking the same thing you just said about your friend being your bridesmaid. She doesn''t sound like the most reliable type -- if you''re willing to live with that in a bridesmaid, then go ahead and ask her to be in your wedding party (if you still want). Otherwise, it sounds like you''re just setting yourself up for more disappointment.

Some people just aren''t as good at keeping in touch for whatever reason -- I have friends who are super social and almost never have time to keep in touch with me. I also have friends (usually it''s the guys, but sometimes girls too) who just aren''t good at keeping in touch period. They forget to e-mail me back, and I am usually the one who has to initiate contact every time. Some of those friendships have faded, but others have remained. Then again, I have to admit I''m not the best at keeping in touch either! So, I guess it all depends on what you are willing to live with. I used to think I needed to e-mail my long distance friends once every week -- now that has become once every couple of months. But we are still friends and I still love hearing from them.

My $0.02 -- I would give your friend a call and tell her you''re engaged and you''d love to hear back from her. While you may not like to give the news over the answering machine, once she hears WHY you''re calling and that this is REALLY BIG news, if she is a real friend she will definitely call you back. Otherwise, she may be getting your messages but not thinking that it''s critical to get back to you right away, and she''s getting swept up with other things. And while that is no excuse either, sometimes it takes big news for friends to get back in touch. Life just gets in the way for whatever reason and you find you don''t have the time to just catch up as often as you''d like.

I''d give her another chance. Don''t write off what sounds like a good friendship too quickly. Like I said, once she hears your news, if she is a real friend she will definitely call you back. If you still don''t hear from her...then you''ll know where things really stand.
8.gif

heartsonfire

Shiny_Rock
Tebee: I couldn''t respond to you any better than the ladies who did already and I very much agree with all of them. I don''t believe that you might have caused anything for her not to call you for 3 months. As you mentioned... maybe it''s something with her new job or even something personal. Every person tend to show their emotions in different ways. You are not overly sensitive or too willing to make excuses for this girl... I would rather say you really care for your friendship with her. See what happens after you try once more. If it doesn''t work, let it go. However you should think carefully (and the best way is to ask Bryan for assistance) if you still want her as a bridesmaid... remember the BM shouldn''t only be there for you for your wedding and the planning... there will be a time... lets say ten years from now you look back... you see your wedding pictures... and there is no more connection. Maybe there is someone more special who diserves to have that honor. I''m sure you will find your perfect wedding party and everything will be just fine. We will always be here for you... before the propsal... after the engagement... before & after the wedding... and more special events to come... we will always be your PS LIW friends... promise.
(((good vibes))) and (((big hugs))) to you sweetie!
1.gif

teebee

Brilliant_Rock
You guys are so wonderful ~ I knew that you would help me put this situation in the proper perspective and give me your honest heartfelt feedback ~ thanks so much, you are all such a beautiful group of friends and it means so much to me that we can all take time out of our lives to help each other, people that we''ve never met!!! I''m a little PMSing today, getting a little emotional!!
2.gif

Cath ~ you''re completely spot on, and I''m not the best at keeping in touch with friends so that is why at first, I didn''t sweat it when Michelle didn''t call me back right away. I''m just not a very disciplined communicator, but, unless I really do want to sever ties with someone, I will eventually call them back. But I agree, I really don''t want to write this off just yet...

HOF ~ Your so super sweet, intuitive, and gorgeous too!!! I just saw your pic on the old thread, WOW!! I think you''re right, I want to have bridesmaids who are honored to be asked, rather than someone who finds it a chore, or an inconvenience that they can''t handle.

I''m almost certain that I don''t think Michelle is right for a BM even if/when we are able to talk and sort this all out. I definitely want my cousin as my MOH, she is so super cool and sweet and I just love her ~ she''s 10 years younger than I am, but I always tell her that if I had a daughter, I would want one just like her, or if I had a sister, I''d want it to be her, but instead she''s my cousin and my friend and that makes me so lucky!! The only problem is that she''s 20 and in college, so I was hoping to have another bridesmaid from Tulsa to help Carrie with some of the stuff that I know she can''t handle on her own, but I guess my mom & her mom could help out instead. And Bryan has agreed to ask my other cousin, Carrie''s brother, to be one of his groomsmen. Of the other girls I''m thinking of, 2 are in Dallas and 1 is here in OKC... but I do have a year and a half so I know it''s all "doable"...
21.gif

blue_chica

Shiny_Rock
Hi Teebee,

I don''t have any new advice, I just wanted to say ouch! *hugs* I''m sure it''s disappointing and I hope it all gets resolved. I can be very bad about staying in touch with long distance friends myself, so hopefully she will make it up to you when she knows the news, I know I would. As for bridesmaid material, it doesn''t sound like it. You need someone you can get in touch with quickly and who will have time/energy to help you plan.

teebee

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/18/2005 12
6.gif
1:10 PM
Author: Blue Chica
Hi Teebee,

I don''t have any new advice, I just wanted to say ouch! *hugs* I''m sure it''s disappointing and I hope it all gets resolved. I can be very bad about staying in touch with long distance friends myself, so hopefully she will make it up to you when she knows the news, I know I would. As for bridesmaid material, it doesn''t sound like it. You need someone you can get in touch with quickly and who will have time/energy to help you plan.
Thanks BlueChica ~ Yep, I can get lax in my communication so I am really trying to not get too worked up, at least not as worked up as I was Saturday evening & Sunday. I have a short day (out of class at noon) on Thursday, so I think I will call her then and just leave another message, tell her what is up, and then say that I hope everything is okay & that I hope to hear from her... I wondered if she would ask about who I was thinking of for bridesmaids, but I don''t think she will, especially since its over a year away.. Thanks again everyone!!

fortheloveofdiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Oh Teebee!

*HUGS* to you sweetie. I know it can be difficult when we *feel* rejected by a close friend. As we age, it seems that we have fewer and fewer *good* friends and that we cling to that friendship that anything *hurtful* that might happen hurts us even more.

I have 2 best friends. They are both very different. They are not friends with each other, just friends with me. I have a very different relationship with them both. One I talk to every week non-stop about everything. The other I talk to less often..however, we have a bond and have a relationship that is in a way closer than the relationship I have with my other friend. They both mean the world to me. However, with S (the friend I talk less often too) I sometimes feel rejected by since she has such a busy life. I think we are just so close to these women that this perceived "rejection" is hard to swallow. However, when I start to feel rejected, she always calls or writes and makes me feel better again.. I sense it is the same with your friend...

Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results