shape
carat
color
clarity

I need some suggestions...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

joe5479

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone, I''m brand new to the forum. After seven years together, I''ve decided that I am going to ask my girlfriend to marry me. She''s my best friend and has stuck with me through everything (college, law school, moving with me to a new state for my job, etc.) so I want to get her something that will really knock her socks off. My budget is between 20-25k. I know she likes the look of the rings with the middle stone and with 1 stone on each side. I know that she likes either round or oval stones. That''s about all I know. I''m somewhat familiar with the 4cs but I''m lost when everyone starts talking about the girdle, cutlet, etc. Also, having the perfect colorless, flawless diamond is not a priority. I want very nice diamonds but it doesn''t have to be a D color, flawless one. Does anyone have any ideas of grade of diamonds and/or style ideas of what I can get for my budget?

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Welcome to pricescope and congratulations!!
35.gif

As for the diamonds, everyone here will tell you to get an ideal cut. With your budget, you shouldn''t have any problems getting super ideal cuts like WhiteFlash ACAs. I''ve been told they sparkle like crazy! A stone with an ideal or super ideal cut will look a whole lot whiter, and some people are comfortable with going down to I, even J colour. If you''d rather not go there, G is a great value since you usually can''t make it out from an F (colourless) once it''s set. SI1 clarity is a great deal if it''s eye clean. Most people here will tell you that going over VS1 will sacrifice a lot of your budget for something you can''t see, and you could put more money on the size.

I''m no expert, but I hope that helps!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
hey joe5479
35.gif
welcome to ps and congratulations on your upcoming engagement! that is a very healthy budget you have to work with there! you should be able to find a very nice 2ct. stone in that price range. for an ering i would look at very well cut g/h color stones and eye clean si1-2 clarity. finding a well cut stone is by far the most important aspect of getting the best looking diamond. an easy choice would be an ''a cut above'' diamond from www.whiteflash.com . i have purchased from them and can recommend them highly.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome too
35.gif
You could as Belle suggests find a fab diamond reasonably easily and quickly with the Whiteflash Expert Selection or as she suggests A Cut Above Hearts and Arrows, the WF crew are incredibly helpful it seems and will work with you from start to finish. Also read the tutorials in the knowledge section here which will help you too. Always make cut your top priority, this is what makes a diamond beautiful. Sometimes with the larger diamonds inclusions can be seen more easily but a well cut G or H colour and an eyeclean SI1 / possibly S12 could be a great choice. Check with the vendor regarding the inclusions and visibility.

Nice budget too and good luck!

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
A few ideas:

Centerstone: ACA, 1.49ct, G, VS2, 13972$ (less with the pricescope discount)
http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-2313845.htm

Sidestones: ACA, 0.40ct, G, VS2, 1008$ each (less with pricescope discount)
http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-1955255.htm
http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-1955253.htm

And you''d have plenty of money left for a gorgeous platinum setting! Here are two of my favorites:
Griffitk''s and MelissaSue''s:
Whiteflashcustom.jpg

StixforLeg''s:
WFcustom2.jpg

Hope that helps!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
i love this 3stone
3.gif

Wprong_3Round_1_2.JPG

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Joe!
Congratulations on making the decision to ask your love to marry you! My first question is, how soon do you plan on proposing and do you have the time to look?? :)
Are you comfortable making a purchase like this online?
I have not, but sooo many people on this website have done so using some wonderful vendors.. I wish I had found pricescope back then!

You will know your woman''s taste more than any of us, but I personally like the 3 stone with a centerstone that is different from the sidestone.

YOu said she like round or oval...Do you think you could do an oval center with side rounds
OR Round center with pear sides
Or oval center with trillion sides???

There are so many possibilties with 3 stones!!
30.gif

Sophie

oval and trills.jpg

joe5479

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for the quick replies and pics. Belle, I specifically liked the ring that you posted. Where did you get that pic? Does anyone have any opinion on oval stones? I don''t think that I''ve ever seen a pic of a ring with three oval stones. Also, say, for example, the middle stone is 2 carat. What size stones on the side would look good? In other words, how large is too large for the stones on the side? I want to be sure that the middle stone is not overpowered.

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
here is one of a round with pears....

I couldn''t find any with bigger stones!!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

I have a 3 stone round on my right hand (with a sapph center) and I would love one with different side stones.

round and pears.jpg

joe5479

Rough_Rock
Sophie, Her birthday is in mid-April and I''d like to propose then, if I have the ring. So, I''ve got about two months. I''ve never really thought about side stones that are different from the middle stone. Nothing against it, the thought just never occurred to me. Before a few months ago, I really didn''t pay much attention to women''s rings, let alone the shape of the stones on the side. I''m open to any suggestions. My girlfriend has never said anything specific that she wants, other than liking the type with the three stones.

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
Ovals are nice, but if you want to most bang/sparkle/fire wow factor, you should go with superideal/ideal cut ROUND stones. JMHO
1.gif

dlg

Rough_Rock
That is a pretty good budget and I think you should be able to get bigger than 2 cts. I just got a beautiful 2.06ct h/vs2 for less than your price range. I agree that there is no reason to get a D, E, or F color. I''d suggest G or H (F if you really want but it is not needed). If you are working with a budget like that, don''t risk having a stone with a flaw that can be seen with the naked eye- get at least vs2. I''m not an expert at all- just trying to help.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/12/2006 1:45:08 PM
Author: joe5479
Thanks everyone for the quick replies and pics. Belle, I specifically liked the ring that you posted. Where did you get that pic? Does anyone have any opinion on oval stones? I don''t think that I''ve ever seen a pic of a ring with three oval stones. Also, say, for example, the middle stone is 2 carat. What size stones on the side would look good? In other words, how large is too large for the stones on the side? I want to be sure that the middle stone is not overpowered.
hey joe, i''m glad you like the ring. it is one of my favorites. i''m not sure on the specs. the center is either 1.5 or 2cts and the sides are .25 i think. mara tried on that ring at wf and loved it. she sent me the pic, so i''m sure she remembers what the size was. hopefully she''ll chime in here with what she knows about it.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome and congrats on your upcoming engagement!
35.gif
36.gif
! I just wanted to say that I love the look of ovals! One of my friends has a beautiful 3 stone ring with ovals and it is just gorgeous! I also saw one not too long ago with an oval center and round sapphire sidestones, it was also lovely.

You''ll get lots of good advice here no matter what shape you decide on. Have fun finding your dream ring!!!
35.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
i love that 3 stone that belle posted! i did indeed try it on at WF last year...here are some pictures we took while there..i also have a hand shot somewhere.

i think this particular ring had a 1.5c center and something like .40c sides each. It was really beautiful, the prong tips were tiny heart shapes and it's very delicate in person, the pictures don't do it justice at all. Stunning on the hand!

in terms of proportions, i don't like it when the side stones are too big and take away from the center stone taking 'center stage', the proportions on this ring were perfect so you could do something like a 2c center and then something like .60c sides.

three stone wf ring a.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
side view...

three stone side view WF b.jpg

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/12/2006 1:55:01 PM
Author: belle

Thanks everyone for the quick replies and pics. Belle, I specifically liked the ring that you posted. Where did you get that pic? Does anyone have any opinion on oval stones? I don't think that I've ever seen a pic of a ring with three oval stones. Also, say, for example, the middle stone is 2 carat. What size stones on the side would look good? In other words, how large is too large for the stones on the side? I want to be sure that the middle stone is not overpowered.
hey joe, i'm glad you like the ring. it is one of my favorites. i'm not sure on the specs. the center is either 1.5 or 2cts and the sides are .25 i think. mara tried on that ring at wf and loved it. she sent me the pic, so i'm sure she remembers what the size was. hopefully she'll chime in here with what she knows about it.
I love that ring Joe!! Welcome to PS. I too have purchased from WF, and am thrilled with their quality. Good luck in findng your ring. You have a wonderful budget and will be able to get her a very nice ring. Welcome to PS
35.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
here''s a hand shot...i wear a size 6 ring to give you size perspective.

wf 3 stone on mara.jpg

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Does anyone have any opinion on oval stones? I don''t think that I''ve ever seen a pic of a ring with three oval stones.
They are out there...

Do all stones have to be of the same shape? For a large center (oval or round, as you say) I would much rathher have fancy sides (those shape cut specially for sidestones- bullets, trillions, half moon... that sort of thing). For once, they look great and make the center stone stand out more by contrast, IMO. Secondly, these tend to be spreadier shapes and will cost less than relatively large sidestones of the same shape with the center.

Sure enough, there doesn''t seem to be a right or wrong answer about what proportions there should be between sidestones etc. It is one thing to consider about a ''three-stone'' ring or any sidestones. More often than not these choices are left to the jeweler, because smaller sidestones may cme with the setting uncertified, but not on this forum
2.gif

Anyway, here''s one three-stone ring with ovals. From BEL
1.5center, sides half carat each.

Past-Present-Future-Ring-1.gif

And an oval with half moon sides from Pearlman''s

OvalHalfMoon.JPG

joe5479

Rough_Rock
Wow, Mara, I''m glad you posted those pics. It''s amazing. Re: my budget, of course, if I can spend less, I''d like to. I don''t want to go too much over 2.0 for the middle stone. From what I can see, I think it''s a good size without being too big (I know there''s no such thing as "too" big, but she''s not the type to want a 4 carat ring). I guess I''m just looking for that happy medium place where I get as much quality as I can for the most realistic price, as some other poster ahead of me in the forum put it, "Point of diminishing returns."

Diam100

Shiny_Rock
OMG... as a 3-stone lover that post of the "W-Prong" on Mara''s hand is without a doubt fantastic! Me thinks... I found my round setting & I shall be calling WF very soon. To the original poster if she''s a 3-stone lover like me your fiance will absolutely be the happiest girl alive with any of these rings.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mara, where were those super hand shots hiding?
31.gif

Date: 2/12/2006 2:12:35 PM

I don't want to go too much over 2.0 for the middle stone. From what I can see, I think it's a good size ...
'Guess an oval would be slightly larger than a round and somewhat less expensive per carat
34.gif
- but that is surely not a bad thing.

It would probably save quite a bit of cash to keep the weight somewhat under 2 cts (say, 1.7-1.8). About E-G/VS2-Si1 for both center and sidestones should end up with something quite amazing.

It looks like the competing option for three round stones has been sorted out already!
5.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joe the funny thing is that I really love the idea of a 3 stone but there aren't that many settings out there that I find really interesting, so many 3 stone rings don't pay ANY attention to a side view or any sort of details re: the baskets or how the stones are held, I need some intriguing details added into my rings. So that WF one was just so pretty, with the W prong delicate curving prongs to hold the stone, the tiny heart prongs (which I am typically not a fan of but were just so pretty on this ring!)....I think if I got a 3 stone, that setting is hugely on the top 3 list...right under a custom piece that would show the side views of the stones more.

Anyway, what size ring finger does your GF have? 3 stones cover more of the finger and see more 'commanding' so maybe something like a 1.5 with .40c sides or similar like in that picture would be perfect.

Lastly, I do like some fancy shapes but have to say if you are going for the bling bling factor and best cut of stone, stick with rounds...I like ovals and all but they are definitely an 'acquired' taste and 3 ovals for a ring would be very unique and not to everyone's taste. So unless you KNOW she wants something like that (aka 3 stone oval) then I'd stick with more classic and safe. Just my thoughts.

OH and in terms of color/clarity, I vaguely recall that ring I tried on having something like G stones with VS/SI clarity, they were very white, colorless, and sparkly.

Diam100

Shiny_Rock
One more thing in case you haven''t thought about another fancy shape that looks great as a 3-stone. Heres my 3 stone Tiffany pear an F 1.7 center with tiny pear side stones. To give you size perspective my ring size is a 5..

rinpic1.jpg

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AAArrrgghh! This thread is totally making me want an oval, sorry!
14.gif
I feel like I''m cheating on my round by having lustful thoughts towards these pics of oval three stone rings!!!LOL!

Mara''s right, though...ovals are beautiful but not everyone''s taste so you may be better off going with a classic round instead.

joe5479

Rough_Rock
Mara, She has size 5 1/2 fingers. She''s pretty tall, 5''9'''', and her fingers are pretty long.

I see what everyone means about the sparkle and traditional look of round stones.

However, that oval solitare with diamonds in the band was stunning.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love that oval solitaire with diamonds in the band from WF too....stunning!!

I would do an oval that is 2c+ with a setting like that for max impact OR do the 3 stone with something like a 1.5 or 1.75c center and resulting sides.

I'd also go with a G/H SI combo (maybe VS for the center if you are picky about seeing things but an SI can be a great deal if you find an eye-clean one) and you'd still be under your budget with either of those options seemingly!!

I did a quickie search and there is a 1.72 G SI H&A virtual stone at GOG for $14700 and then you could get .47c G SI H&A sides for around $1350 each. The WF 3 stone setting is something like $1800? So it'd all be under $20k and she'd get something like 2.6 carats total weight! On a 5.5 finger that'd be serious YUM. If you want an oval, you could get something like a ~2.25c G VS2 for $20k and then spend about $2.5k on a custom setting depending on the stones in the band. So kind of a different scenario but around the same idea and still within your budget!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/12/2006 3:16:51 PM
Mara, She has size 5 1/2 fingers. She''s pretty tall, 5''9'', and her fingers are pretty long.

I see what everyone means about the sparkle and traditional look of round stones.

However, that oval solitaire with diamonds in the band was stunning.

''Guess rounds make the vast majority of diamonds under 5 cts sold... and fancies may be an ''acquired taste'' but once the taste is acquired, that''s that. If you like it, and have some idea that ovals would be on your girl''s agenda too, why not.
34.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results