shape
carat
color
clarity

I need a new laptop

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I currently have a seven year old HP and I think it''s on its last bit! This one is used mostly for internet, graphics, word processing and power points. I have it set up as wireless. Any recommendations (conservative budget)?

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I got a Toshiba recently and love it.

joflier

Ideal_Rock
I have an HP pavillion - just less than 1 year old........I wouldn''t recommend it. DH has one thats about 2 years old, and we''ve had a multitude of issues with both of them.
8.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I heart macs!

beau13

Ideal_Rock
DELL

sna77

Brilliant_Rock
I am in charge of an IT department for a pretty decent sized company and am responsible for the decision making when it comes to any hardware piurchases... I exclusively use Dell--their home lineup is a bit different, but their business laptops carry waranties with somethign known as "complete care" which covers accidental damage (think screen breaking) for the life of the laptop... This is huge for people that travel (like salesmen) who like to break things.. Dell is onsite, next day to fix the issue...

Blair138

Brilliant_Rock
HP or a Mac for sure. I had a Toshiba and had nothing but problems, same with Sony.

sna77

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/30/2008 5:45:38 PM
Author: Blair138
HP or a Mac for sure. I had a Toshiba and had nothing but problems, same with Sony.

Throwing out HP or Mac doesn''t make a lot of sense (not just you, others mentioned Mac in the same breath as othe manufacturers)... Going to a Mac is a big switch... You need to be sure that you will be able to get compatabile software for your future uses...

Toshiba is junk. Sony is junk. Both are terrible, and have horrible service centers. Sony will make you mail them your laptop. UGH. As an IT Exec, the only thing I would ever buy is a Dell, Lenovo (former IBM ThinkPad) or maybe an HP--although I haven''t been crazy with them since the Compaq merger...

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
A definitive NO on the MAC. Thanks for the IT perspective, sna. Our desktop is a Dell and we''ve had no problems at all with it. Likely I''ll start looking there.

sna77

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/30/2008 7:44:21 PM
Author: Upgradable
A definitive NO on the MAC. Thanks for the IT perspective, sna. Our desktop is a Dell and we''ve had no problems at all with it. Likely I''ll start looking there.

check out the Latitude E series line... The Inspirons are home user models only and are not nearly the same caliber of PC. They also have great deals on refurbished systems... check out outlet.dell.com. The Latitude D630 is nice there...

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Love my Mac. But I agree with Sna that you have to really want to make the switch as you need to learn a new way of thinking about the computer interface.

I switched 5-6 years ago though and don't regret it. Love my macs. Now my PC at work seems like such a pain to work on even though it's a "nice one".

I have to say that many of my friends have had horrible experiences with their consumer line Dell laptops...we're in graduate school so we all are pretty hard on our computers. I HAVE heard the business grade ones are great though.

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/30/2008 4:04:09 PM
Author: beau13
DELL
Me too. Dell Inspiron 1705.

Hera

Ideal_Rock
I love love love my Lenovo. Formerly, IBM, it was bought by Lenovo so my computer is a Thinkpad. It is a powerful machine, a great price (like around $1,000-1200) and it has stupendous customer service. I saw in a MSN report that it had top marks along with Apple for reliablilty and customer service.
I had a problem with my keyboard (My fault though, because I got crumbs under a key and decided to dismantle the keyboard myself) and they offered to fix it or I could fix it. I wanted to fix it because I know someone who works on Lenovo''s and they overnighted me a keyboard. I asked them if I broke it again what would happen and they said they would send another keyboard or they could fix it.

I should mention that this person I know that works on Toshiba, HP and Lenovo suggested the Lenovo to me.

The only negative I had when I initially got it was that it didn''t have all of the lights and pretty buttons that other computers have. It''s my serious machine and they have clearly spent all of their money on the inside of the computer.

sna77

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/30/2008 9:13:39 PM
Author: heraanderson
I love love love my Lenovo. Formerly, IBM, it was bought by Lenovo so my computer is a Thinkpad. It is a powerful machine, a great price (like around $1,000-1200) and it has stupendous customer service. I saw in a MSN report that it had top marks along with Apple for reliablilty and customer service.
I had a problem with my keyboard (My fault though, because I got crumbs under a key and decided to dismantle the keyboard myself) and they offered to fix it or I could fix it. I wanted to fix it because I know someone who works on Lenovo''s and they overnighted me a keyboard. I asked them if I broke it again what would happen and they said they would send another keyboard or they could fix it.

I should mention that this person I know that works on Toshiba, HP and Lenovo suggested the Lenovo to me.

The only negative I had when I initially got it was that it didn''t have all of the lights and pretty buttons that other computers have. It''s my serious machine and they have clearly spent all of their money on the inside of the computer.

Lenovo makes a good machine... and their service is second only to Dell''s in the industry... Personally, I cannot deal without a Windows key on the keyborad! I use 20 or some keyboard shortcuts daily with the Windows key, and can''t live w/o it. haaa... and yes, I know you can program a different key to be the Windows key... its not the same...
3.gif

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Thank you!!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I used to have an iMac before I got my laptop 4 years ago. I didn''t really prefer Macs over PCs, and when I was looking for a laptop, I decided to go with a Dell Inspiron 6000. I just called Dell and the guy I spoke with was great about recommending a laptop once he knew what I was looking for. I haven''t had any problems so far, and I''ll get another Dell when the time comes to replace this one.

My mom, my sister, and my BIL all have iBooks and they love them. My dad and I love our Dells though.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you can wait a month and see how the bad chipsets being reported shakes out.
Right now the only safe bet is Intel chipset or AMD cpu with ATI graphics.
Stay away from nvidia graphics if you have to buy now.
The problem is that the Intel video chipsets stink and the AMD cpus are slower than Intel.
They are fast enough for just about any use however.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results