shape
carat
color
clarity

I need a Diamond ;)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Bug-Z

Rough_Rock
I know perfect symmetry isnt everything, but is it really wasting time and money searching for an Ideal Cut stone.I am willing to sacrifice the perfect cut for a GOOD cut with good light retention.Any comments on the Pricescope Ideal Scope as a reference tool when comparing qualities of cut, does that scope really tell you that much when you know what the other details of the stone are? (meaning Certification details without viewing it under any special scopes)What about the measurements of the stone...........I am looking in the .9 to 1.10 carat ranges how do i know what is the closest to GOOD tolerances in the dimensions.............If it is 1 carat should it be 6.4-6.4-4.0 ? I have no clue, what "weight" should the exact dimensions of the stone play in my decision to whether it is a good deal or not? Or good cut or not? I have a good handle on the other factors that play a part but there is not much ever mentioned about actual dimensions and what is a good set of dimensions and what is not. Also, GIA certs dont give crown angles or pav. angles right? How do i know the exact crown height and angle or the pav. depth or angle...Only AGS actually tells you all the specifics like both angles and height and pav depth?...Is that right how do i find out if its not on the Cert?Any guidance would be greatly appreciated, i already made the rookie mistake of going to a 125 chain jewelry store and they wanted $3,500 for a 1 carat J I1....then i looked on the net and found out thats way too high, the stone they sold me is not even certed. and they said i would have to do it and pay for it myself. Needless to say i got my money back now im back to square one but much more informed this go around...I need HELP!! thanks Bug-Z

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
[FONT=Verdana,]quote:[/FONT]
Originally posted by Bug-Z:
I know perfect symmetry isnt everything, but is it really wasting time and money searching for an Ideal Cut stone.
Hi Bug-Z,Look, it is very much depends on the personal taste and preferences.
Try to find a jeweler who will show you ideal and ordinary cut diamonds.Only you can decide whether it's worth spending money on ideal cut diamond. Is it worth wasting extra money on Mercedes while one can perfectly commute with Corola?
smile.gif
Each product has its own market and consumers... You can consider ideal-cut diamonds as exclusive products - a fraction of all diamonds in the world.
I am willing to sacrifice the perfect cut for a GOOD cut with good light retention. Any comments on the Pricescope Ideal Scope as a reference tool when comparing qualities of cut, does that scope really tell you that much when you know what the other details of the stone are? (meaning Certification details without viewing it under any special scopes)What about the measurements of the stone...........
Certificate doesn't give you much information about the light return. GIA report doesn't provide even crown and pavilion angles. Even if you have this info in the grading report it is only average data.Ideal-scope reveals whether diamond is leaking (loosing) light so you can quickly select a diamond with minimum light leakage from several others. It's not necessary to have AGS0 (ideal) cut stone to get great light return (minimal light leakage).Keep in mind although that while light return is very important, it not always = beauty and brilliance. There are other factors affecting our perception of the diamond: symmetry, dispersion, contrast, scintillation, luster and spread.Diamonds that cut close to ideal proportions with ideal symmetry have good combination of all these factors along with minimal light leakage visible in ideal-scope. However you have to compare different diamonds by yourself to make your own decision.
I am looking in the .9 to 1.10 carat ranges how do i know what is the closest to GOOD tolerances in the dimensions.............If it is 1 carat should it be 6.4-6.4-4.0 ? I have no clue, what "weight" should the exact dimensions of the stone play in my decision to whether it is a good deal or not? Or good cut or not?
Try this online tool (you have to use Internet Explorer): www.cutstudy.com/cut/Brill/e_ray_thin.htm . You'll be able to vary different diamond proportions and see how it affects the mass (weight) and vice versa.
I have a good handle on the other factors that play a part but there is not much ever mentioned about actual dimensions and what is a good set of dimensions and what is not. Also, GIA certs dont give crown angles or pav. angles right? How do i know the exact crown height and angle or the pav. depth or angle...Only AGS actually tells you all the specifics like both angles and height and pav depth?...Is that right how do i find out if its not on the Cert?
You can ask the vendor to get Sarin or Megascope measurements for you. These machines are not rare anymore. Alternatively you can find a gem lab that has these machines. Or you can get Ideal-scope and check whether the stone leaks light without knowing angles at all
smile.gif
Any guidance would be greatly appreciated, i already made the rookie mistake of going to a 125 chain jewelry store and they wanted $3,500 for a 1 carat J I1....then i looked on the net and found out thats way too high, the stone they sold me is not even certed. and they said i would have to do it and pay for it myself. Needless to say i got my money back now im back to square one but much more informed this go around...I need HELP!! thanks Bug-Z
Since you are doing your own research and asking questions you are doing fine - it'll pay off.
smile.gif

Bug-Z

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your reply, do you have an idea of how i should weigh all the factors in my decision..example what order of weight a certain factor should be considered in.... 1) color 2) clarity 3) carat blah blah....how complex should i really make this decision out to be. What is reasonable, should i view 100 stones of my color clarity carat choice, more or less? I dont want this to take me 1 year or so, my house took that much time to find, but i would like to be confident i get a fair deal. I need guidelines if anyone can offer some, it seems to me with the endless factors involved, shopping for a good deal when buying a Diamond is like Russian roulette, even taking the factors into consideration sometimes you get lucky sometimes you dont...LOL Another question i had, so far all the RETAIL jewelers have said that a Cert. stone means nothing and is not important, if they know anything about how Diamonds are valued and the obvious expense involved, why would they say such things other than to throw the Bloodhounds off the trail? Its getting to the point im not sure anyone can really be trusted and that is sad, no one should have to fend off lies and deception to buy their loved ones something they will cherish for the rest of their lives. Which brings me to my next question, if a stone is Certed. and the cut is good and i deem it a FAIR value based on the info that i have now gained, why is appraisal so important, the Cert clearly shows what it is and i am satisfied? Are the chances of deception even with a Certed. stone still that bad?Thanks again, still searching Bug-Z

pricescope

Ideal_Rock

Thanks for your reply, do you have an idea of how i should weigh all the factors in my decision..example what order of weight a certain factor should be considered in.... 1) color 2) clarity 3) carat blah blah....
Oooo...it's a very individual thing
smile.gif
Personally I like Garry's approach: "Ideal cut. Buy the ‘smallest biggest’ diamond you can. Buy the lowest Clarity you will accept in the highest Color you can afford".Note that Holloway ideal is not == AGS ideal (see www.pricescope.com/tutor_ideal.asp )You can check What to buy? for other options that suit you the best.
how complex should i really make this decision out to be. What is reasonable, should i view 100 stones of my color clarity carat choice, more or less? I dont want this to take me 1 year or so, my house took that much time to find, but i would like to be confident i get a fair deal. I need guidelines if anyone can offer some, it seems to me with the endless factors involved, shopping for a good deal when buying a Diamond is like Russian roulette, even taking the factors into consideration sometimes you get lucky sometimes you dont...LOL
It shouldn't take as much time
smile.gif
Color is pretty easy to set. Look at few diamonds with in different color grades and see whether you can distinguish the difference. Clarity - even easier. Many people are happy if there are no inclusions visible with unaided eye. I.e. VS or good SI.Cut is a bit more complicated. Best of all to find a jeweler who can show you ordinary cut diamonds together with ideal cut and perhaps H&A diamonds, you will decide what cut quality you'd like to have for your money.Finally, shop around and compare prices.
smile.gif
Another question i had, so far all the RETAIL jewelers have said that a Cert. stone means nothing and is not important, if they know anything about how Diamonds are valued and the obvious expense involved, why would they say such things other than to throw the Bloodho Thanks again, still searching Bug-Z
If diamond has a grading report (cert) it doesn't mean that the diamond is good but at least you can be more certain in the grades. Some reports are believed to be more reliable (GIA, AGS) than others. However, you might find a good deal and nice diamond without a grading report. Just make sure to show the diamond to independent expert/appraiser to confirm that it is indeed as represented.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results