shape
carat
color
clarity

I made a purchase (from James Allen)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

stoberto

Rough_Rock
I have been reading info and the forums on here for about 2 months now, and would first like to say thanks for all the info. I am on a tight budget (under 3500) and have been trying to get what I want for my tight price. After a long long search I finally made a purchase and am extremely excited!

My ring will be a 3-stone and one of the side stones will be from my grandfather''s ring. The other side stone and center stone I purchased from James Allen. Not only was I able to fine the nicest stones I had seen in my price range, I also felt like they seemed the most interest in helping me on my tight budget (I talked to most other Pricescope vendors as well). I worked with Carrie and she was very helpful and very prompt in answering any questions I had. I decided to have my stone set by my mom''s jeweler who has always done her jewelry locally simply so I can always get it resized and repaired for free. The setting will only be $350 ''cause it is 14k white gold (I wanted it as cheap as possible and may upgrade later. My stones are as follows...

Center Stone - AGS Ideal Cut
0.618 carats
Color: H
Clarity: VVS2
Table: 56%
Depth: 61.9%
Crown Angle: 34.7
Pavilion Angle: 40.7

Side Stone #1 - AGS Ideal Cut
0.426 carats
Clarity: VS2
Table: 54.1%
Depth: 62.0%
Crown Angle: 34.4
Pavilion Angle: 40.7

Grandfather''s Side Stone #2 (this is all I know, it isn''t certed)
0.43 carats
Clarity: SI1

The whole ring will come to roughly 3200, well under my budget. I am really really excited about what I am getting and just wanted to let ya''ll know since most of my decisions have been made after reading on this site. I feel like I got very nice stones and will have a beautiful ring to give my girlfriend. Thanks once again and sorry about the long post. I will be sure to post a picture of the ring when I give it to her (stones arrive next week)...

Andrew

stoberto

Rough_Rock
Side stone

h-vs2pic.PNG

stoberto

Rough_Rock
Center stone

h-vvs2pic.PNG

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations! I can''t wait to see the finished ring....don''t forget to show us!

Small

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/2/2006 12:46:06 AM
Author: wallermama
Congratulations! I can''t wait to see the finished ring....don''t forget to show us!
I second that! Pictures pictures
9.gif
36.gif
Great job!! Can''t wait so see it!

cutes814

Brilliant_Rock
congratulations! i''m excited to see the finished ring, but quick question, what kind of cut is your grandfather''s stone? if it is not an ideal cut stone, will it look weird next to two ideal stones? just a thought.

stoberto

Rough_Rock
I had thought of that, and I don''t know what kind of cut it is. Hopefully it won''t be a huge difference

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
congrats on your purchase stoberto, those are very nice looking diamonds!
3.gif

don''t be surprised though when you get them, as milly pointed out, they could look quite different from your grandfathers stone in both size and cut.

stoberto

Rough_Rock
Well I did match the diameters of the side stones. My grandfather''s is not perfectly round: 4.78 mm - 4.9 mm...so I picked a stone that was in the middle. The 0.426 is 4.8 mm - 4.84 mm. So hopefully they will look the same size. Do you think they would look like a different size just because one will be more sparkly? I guess the worst case scenario is that they''d look completely different and I''d have to buy another side stone. That would stink, but it wouldn''t kill me...I would like to use my grandfather''s stone though for sentimental reasons....I''ll let you know what they look like together sometime after wednesday next week (my jeweler locally will be in Vegas til then).

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/2/2006 11:52:53 AM
Author: stoberto
Well I did match the diameters of the side stones. My grandfather''s is not perfectly round: 4.78 mm - 4.9 mm...so I picked a stone that was in the middle. The 0.426 is 4.8 mm - 4.84 mm. So hopefully they will look the same size. Do you think they would look like a different size just because one will be more sparkly? I guess the worst case scenario is that they''d look completely different and I''d have to buy another side stone. That would stink, but it wouldn''t kill me...I would like to use my grandfather''s stone though for sentimental reasons....I''ll let you know what they look like together sometime after wednesday next week (my jeweler locally will be in Vegas til then).
oh good, you did measure! i was not trying to alarm you at all, i was just mentioning that they may be different so you wouldn''t be surprised if they were. ja has a great return policy, so you have absolutely nothing to worry about. i think it is fantastic that you are using your grandfathers diamond, that is really neat. i hope they all match up on this first try!
i am looking forward to hearing more about them and hopefully seeing some pics!
36.gif

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations!!!

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations. I can''t wait to see the picture of the completed ring.

So great you are using a family diamond.

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
will the three stones be prong set?

stoberto

Rough_Rock
Yes, originally I was going to do a lattice setting, but I took my girlfriend along to see the setting and she didn''t really like it that much. A lady that works with my jeweler has a 3-stone ring in which all the stones are simple prong set and my girlfriend really liked her ring.......so that is what I''m going to get!

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
The ring sounds lovely and your grandfather''s diamond will add a special sentiment. Don''t forget to post pictures for us!

stoberto

Rough_Rock
Just for an update. I took the stones to be set yesterday and looked at them all together. The only difference that I could see between the ideals and the non-ideal was a tiny tiny difference in the color....and it was nothing that was obvious. Any other differences were small enough that I doubt anyone would notice. So, I think it''ll be alright. The size match was perfect. I''ll post pictures when they are set...thanks!

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Awww, this is GREAT!!!!! I have an heirloom stone that I reset and it is SO great that you are incorporating old and new in your fi2b''s ring. Can''t wait to see it!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results