shape
carat
color
clarity

I know (really know) a VP candidate

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
My former congressman and friend, Chet Edwards, is on the short list of VP candidates Obama is considering. Holy crap! I know the guy who might be the next VP!
6.gif

I''m no Obama fan. Or McCain fan, for that matter. But I might just be tempted to vote Demo if I know he''s got someone close to him with 18 years experience of being one of the few ''good'' guys in DC.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wonder who it is going to be?!?!?!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/22/2008 8:12:55 PM
Author: Skippy123
I put money on Joe Biden. Local TV camera''s are swamped outside his DE home.

bebe

Ideal_Rock
Holly, are you in Texas? Or do you know him from elsewhere?

I''m in HOuston.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/22/2008 9:43:06 PM
Author: bebe
Holly, are you in Texas? Or do you know him from elsewhere?

I''m in HOuston.
My former boss, (who passed away this May), was best friends with, and the campaign manager for Chet''s predecessor, Marvin Leath. So when Marvin was retiring, Chet stepped up and said to the Democrat party in Texas that he would be interested in running for that seat. My boss interviewed him, liked him quite a bit, thought he would make a fine young congressman, and got the wheels rolling in Texas and beyond to get him elected to Congress. And we worked very hard to keep him in that seat through many campaigns over the last 18 years. Then, not too long ago, the Texas legislature decided to redistrict, and our part of Central Texas lost Chet as our congressman.

I''ve known Chet for nearly twenty years; and I don''t think I''ve ever disagreed with his judgement on the important issues. I always said he''d make a great president someday.

National media is camped out on Chet''s lawn, too. Since they don''t know who Obama will announce tomorrow, they have to be ready for anything.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
According to the Associated Press, it's Joe Biden.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
well Dems.... what's your opinion on Joe Biden?

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Whew! That was close! For a minute there, I thought I would have to vote Democrat!
9.gif

Actually, I think Obama may have just sealed his fate. Biden was NOT someone I would have considered had I been in his shoes. Biden has come across as being divisive, controlling, and ill-humored in the last few years; especially when he would throw his hat into the ring to play presidential candidate. People remember these things. I would have chosen a fresher face, myself.

But that''s just the hidden Republican in me talking.
28.gif

Crud. Now I have to vote for McCain. Sigh.
38.gif

Neither of these two (O or M) should be on the ballot. They''re both lousy choices. I certainly didn''t vote for either of them in the primary. Who''s responsible for this fiasco? Speak up! Don''t be shy! Come on out so we know who to blame!
9.gif

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Yep. I was right. Biden may not have been the best choice. An MSNBC poll, going on right now, currently shows that more people think Obama did not make the right choice for VP, than think he did.

There are a lot of commas in that sentence. Hope I put them in the right places.
9.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PS Dems are too quiet...must not be happy with Biden.

tanuki

Shiny_Rock
I''m happy with Biden.

The fact that (in my mind) the pick was no surprise may be keeping internet speculation down, also the fact that the announcement was early on a Saturday morning sort of catches people when they are busy with other things. (apparently news that it was Biden was leaked to the internet when people watching Biden''s house saw the Secret Service team arrive and the campaign got forced to announce it ahead of schedule). There is no "who is this guy?" media frenzy like we had with Dan Quayle - which is probably something the Obama campaign was desperate to avoid.

Obama needed someone like Biden on the ticket - not from a geographic standpoint but from the balance that Biden''s years of experience and his known ability to work within the system as a "washington insider" brings. The main role of the VP choice is to be the guy with the big mouth who does the "attack dog" duty while the candidate remains above the fray. Biden can do that with no problem.

I can''t wait to see who McCain picks. Then we will be in a position to compare.

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
Technically, I am a registered Republican. But I vote depending on each election and issues---

I was shocked he picked Biden (but figured he would...based on the press, etc.). It seems that with Biden, you don't get that whole "change" he has been lobbying for. He did pick someone with experience in areas he has little in. I think this could hurt him, especially with Clinton Dems...my BFF is a lawyer for many high-ranking Dems...and she was telling me the latest surveys which were indicating Clinton Dems moving towards McCain. Who knows though....too early still!

I am more interested in McCain's pick. Has to be someone younger...and perhaps a better speaker (not hard to do!).

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/22/2008 9:30:12 PM
Author: Kaleigh

I put money on Joe Biden. Local TV camera's are swamped outside his DE home.
Lisa
36.gif
have you collected your money yet?
9.gif
i'll collect mine in Nov after the election.
16.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/25/2008 3:42:35 AM
Author: Dancing Fire

Date: 8/22/2008 9:30:12 PM
Author: Kaleigh

I put money on Joe Biden. Local TV camera's are swamped outside his DE home.
Lisa
36.gif
have you collected your money yet?
9.gif
i'll collect mine in Nov after the election.
16.gif
Haha don't I wish. Actually I am on the fence. We'll see, I will let you know once I make up my mind.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Chet will be a featured speaker at the DNC on Wednesday evening, around 9 or 9:30.

My DH heard a rumor (he''s a newspaper editor) and tracked down a staff member to confirm. He must have just been added to the agenda; even the DNC website didn''t list him on the program. We''re pretty excited; it''s kinda cool that we know him so well.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results