shape
carat
color
clarity

I have this Mahenge currently on hold... thoughts/comments?

pokerface

Brilliant_Rock
Re: I have this Mahenge currently on hold... thoughts/commen

While the cut and clarity look good, I think it lacks the Mahenge glow. The price seems a little high for what you're getting, but no doubt you would have to pay more for what would be considered top color.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I would ask for a pic in fluorescent lighting and incandescent. What lighting is that video under? Also, ask if it has strong fluorescence. It's a purplish pink. Top color is pinkish red, but I don't know if they're available anymore, especially in less than 3 carat sizes.

I still think its a pretty stone though.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Marlow|1420846684|3814311 said:
Nice gem.

Africagems is another overpriced vendor imo...

O.K. - much smaller...

http://www.multicolour.com/detail/?718516434

Different cut

http://www.multicolour.com/detail/?718516434

I think that's a fair price on that stone. They're really getting expensive these days, and around $2K/ct for stones under 2 carats.

Primagemsusa.com has a large selection too. You may want to check them out and you can negotiate price.

This one is pretty, and they're better priced than he Africagems one, but perhaps it's not as good color???

https://primagemsusa.com/content/183-cts-natural-mahenge-spinel

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I was going to suggest Prima as well. I loved dealing with them. Call them and tell them what you are looking for - they can come back with pictures (including hand shots) and prices.

two_little_birds

Brilliant_Rock

I contacted prima a few times, but nothing they had stood out to me.

I want a hot pink, almost neon stone. As I've been looking over a year I'm starting to think this is an impossible mission.

This is the first stone in quite some time that struck my fancy.

I also like this one, but the pictures are terrible - https://www.etsy.com/listing/211510746/trillion-flower-gatsby-ring-in-14-k

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

two_little_birds|1420859213|3814393 said:

I want a hot pink, almost neon stone. As I've been looking over a year I'm starting to think this is an impossible mission.

I also like this one, but the pictures are terrible - https://www.etsy.com/listing/211510746/trillion-flower-gatsby-ring-in-14-k

Had you seen this one?

Hey, I found this really awesome Etsy listing at https://www.etsy.com/listing/215726971/gotham-pendant-in-14-k-white-gold-with

two_little_birds

Brilliant_Rock

two_little_birds

Brilliant_Rock

Neil I did see that one. Love the shape and colour, but clarity isn't the best. Not a fan of the setting either. This would be a RHR project.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium

If you think its the one you want and you've been looking for a year, why not go ahead as they do have return policy? In general, their prices have seemed high to me, but I'd rather pay a little more for exactly what I am looking for and couldn't find one similar elsewhere.

Curious why you passed on Yvonne's if you loved that one? She also helped me find mine and was wonderful to work with...she helped Prima pick out mine (one they didn't even realize they had so didn't present to me as an option when I called them).

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think it is very, very nice. You have been looking for a year, so you know how hard it is to find a good pink neon spinel regardless if it has some purple or even orange. The selection is not going to get any better as time goes on so the question is, do you think you will find another that you like this much?

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock

two_little_birds|1420859213|3814393 said:

I think the stone looks sleepy. It's a nice setting for a trillion.

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think it looks nice. Well cut, decently saturated, good face up size. Worth a look in person, anyway.

woofmama

Ideal_Rock

If it's your dream stone I think you should purchase it. Since you're strongly considering it I assume the price was acceptable to you.
So many on PS have found amazing deals through hunting for a long time or buying pre-loved that I think it's hard to recommend anyone paying more than what is considered a deal. I'm looking for a few gems as well & am willing to pay a bit more to get exactly what I want.

sparkleismyfavcolor

Shiny_Rock

I too think it's a very pretty stone with a nice face up size. I would ask for a hand shot too. They have a great return policy - no charge for shipping/insurance there or back to them if you decide to return, and I think you get 30 days so if it were me, I would go ahead and get it and check it out! =)
Since gemstones are so hard to judge from pics, if I find one I really think might be great in hand and has free shipping I'll order it. If I end up sending it back, I don't mind paying a small amount for return shipping every now and then since I'm such a gemstone junkie and look at it as a small fee to indulge my obsession. :lol:

two_little_birds

Brilliant_Rock

lilmosun|1420861503|3814409 said:
Curious why you passed on Yvonne's if you loved that one? She also helped me find mine and was wonderful to work with...she helped Prima pick out mine (one they didn't even realize they had so didn't present to me as an option when I called them).

Love the shape and colour, but clarity isn't the best. Not a fan of the setting either.

two_little_birds

Brilliant_Rock

DianeM|1420944017|3814771 said:
two_little_birds said:
lilmosun|1420861503|3814409 said:

Love the shape and colour, but clarity isn't the best. Not a fan of the setting either.
Just my opinion as a person who owns three or four smallish Mahenges, most bought from Yvonne Raley, and who has limited finances. (I'm a retired professor.)

I think you really need to see some Mahenges in real life, whether from AfricaGems or some other reputable source. You can tell, I'm sure, that the photo of the pink spinel from AfricaGems is far different in quality from the more-or-less-candid photos taken by Yvonne of gems or finished pieces sitting by the window of her apartment, often under low light conditions because she lives in Brooklyn and it's winter. Some vendors use so-called "daylight lighting" where there is an artificial light source pouring light onto the gem from all sides, and some do not.

From reading Yvonne's blog over a period of a couple of years, I know that she has many Mahenge spinels in different colors of red and pink that are not yet set into jewelry and are not yet listed on her web site. As "lilmosun" said, she also has access to Prima Gem's large stock of Mahenges in New York City and in the past she has taken the time to go through them to help buyers.

Judging from her Etsy listing you commented on above (photo attached below), Yvonne would be the first to agree that the emerald cut stone in the Gotham pendant isn't perfect in terms of clarity. She acknowledges the inclusions but says that she chose it because of color. As the supply of very high-quality Mahenges diminishes with time, many people are having to accept some tradeoffs, especially in terms of focusing on vivid color and overlooking relatively minor inclusions.

As others have indicated, I think it would be a good idea for you to see that stone that you have on hold with AfricaGems. But I suggest that you also reach out to Yvonne and maybe Prima for other possibilities. I believe that the majority of Mahenges coming into this country come through Jaimeen Shah of Prima Gems, and that his prices are very competitive with others like AfricaGems. Further, I understand from people like "lilmosun" that Jaimeen is very approachable, and I know for sure that Yvonne is very responsive and helpful. I feel that personalized service will be extremely important in your quest for the right stone.

In brief, I think it's time for you to look at some Mahenges in hand rather than just at photographs. It would also be good if you could attend a gem show in your area; I'm sure others will have suggestions about how to do this.

Diane

Thanks for your input Diane, I appreciate your candid feedback.

I have indeed seen many Mahenge stones in person, so that's not my concern. But many of your points are also a little more challenging as I live in Canada. It's not as simple to simply ship and return stones without paying a shipping "premium". Also gem shows are almost unheard of here, compared to the states. I have requested hand shots of the stone from Africa Gems and will go from there. I may even contact Yvonne again to see if she have access to any new stones or any that she doesn't have displayed.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yes, as DianeM both said, I found both Yvonne and Jaimeen were great to work with. No pressure at all and their interest was in finding me a stone that I would be truly happy with. Prima had stone suggestions but they weren't 100% what I was looking for. I then went to Yvonne, she didn't have either but said she would look for me on her next visit to Prima and found it. But I am lucky enough to be able to get to gem shows so Prima brought the stone along with a few of their top picks in my range to look at. Hopefully, Africa Gems provides the same level of service.

From my experience, I would say that if you do find the mahenge that speaks to you and is a fair market price, go for it. While I was able to negotiate the price, it didn't go down quite as far as I was used to at Intergem. I have had 0 regrets because I love the stone and haven't seen one (that I can afford) like it since. On the other hand, my budget was more limited so I understand you being more cautious.

(side note: Before buying mine, I bought a small neon mahenge ring off LT to hold me over. The seller had bought the stone from Yvonne who sourced it from Prima. When one of the Prima reps saw the ring, she offered to buy it off me. Too funny).

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Great deco inspired setting.

ps_photos_-_emerald_cut_mahenge_in_diamond_pendant.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

It does make it a lot tougher living in Canada. I mean, none of us relish the process of returning a stone, it is way easier for us in the U.S. to return to a U.S. vendor. We do have a PSer who has an enviable collection of Mahenges (as well as other stones) who lives in Canada. Her process has been slow and methodical where she buys a stone that has promise and often likes it enough to keep it. But her trick is that she keeps looking - when she finds one she likes better, she sells the old one on LT or DB. Over the years, she has upgraded her collection to beautiful, collector quality stones.

I guess what I'm saying is if you've been looking that long and you like this one, I'd get it. If another one comes along in the probably distant future that you like better, just sell this one one. I've noticed that people typically get all their money back (and often then some!) on their Mahenges when they sell them. :))

GregS

Brilliant_Rock

Beautiful stone with a lot of life, however, from what I can see it looks to have a very small window and is more of a rasberry color, not top neon. The price is reasonable for the size, decent Mahenge Spinel are borderline non-existent right now.

This stone looks as nice or better/more saturated, the video shows what appears to be that neon quality that's so sought after in these stones. If the video is accurate, than the picture doesn't do this stone justice.

http://www.africagems.com/pink-spinel-emerald-g2k-92461089.html

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

DianeM|1420944017|3814771 said:
As the supply of very high-quality Mahenges diminishes with time, many people are having to accept some tradeoffs, especially in terms of focusing on vivid color and overlooking relatively minor inclusions.Diane

I agree with the opinion above; very high quality Mahenges are almost impossible to purchase these days. What many vendors are calling top quality today cannot rival the top quality that many have seen a mere 5 years ago, not to mention the sharp increase in prices. If purchasing from Prima, I'd rather deal with them directly to remove the additional middle-person markup.

The stone Greg suggested from AfricaGems looks awesome in the video. Arresting colour and clean looking. I think they often times have sales and are also open to lower offers.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Does Swalagemtraders.com still have any decent material left? Their website looked sparse last I saw it, and I think that have a contact in Canada that you can return items to.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

GregS|1421026243|3815063 said:
Beautiful stone with a lot of life, however, from what I can see it looks to have a very small window and is more of a rasberry color, not top neon. The price is reasonable for the size, decent Mahenge Spinel are borderline non-existent right now.

This stone looks as nice or better/more saturated, the video shows what appears to be that neon quality that's so sought after in these stones. If the video is accurate, than the picture doesn't do this stone justice.

Pearlmans also sells these stones. You can find that stone on their search engine listed for about 1350. And then you could get it all in one place if you wanted.

GregS

Brilliant_Rock

Niel|1421075478|3815245 said:

Pearlmans also sells these stones. You can find that stone on their search engine listed for about 1350. And then you could get it all in one place if you wanted.
That's interesting, and great advice.

If I hadn't been spending a bunch of money on other hobbies I would've snagged that spinel from AG during their last 25% sale.

S

SparkliesLuver

Did you make a decision? :)

This one caught my eye, but feel free to critique since I'm not an expert.

1.01 ct
5.4mm, depth 4.5mm
VVS
No treatment
$880
http://www.gemfix.com/spinel.html
(number 266 if you want to search the page)

spinel_266_a.jpg

two_little_birds

Brilliant_Rock

I saw this one before. It's been available for some time.

two_little_birds

Brilliant_Rock

SparkliesLuver|1421154395|3815637 said:
Did you make a decision? :)

This one caught my eye, but feel free to critique since I'm not an expert.

1.01 ct
5.4mm, depth 4.5mm
VVS
No treatment
$880
http://www.gemfix.com/spinel.html
(number 266 if you want to search the page)

Yes, this stone is actually the one that started my search last summer. But to be honest, I want something bigger.

two_little_birds

Brilliant_Rock

So yesterday I received a hand shot from Marc (Africa Gems) and I was very disappointed in what I saw which I was honest with him about.

I have been in contact with Yvonne and I'm getting some more information from her. Again we were in contact last year as well when I started my search.

Time will tell whether I move forward with anything, or whether I continue to wait.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results