shape
carat
color
clarity

I have questions about caring for orchid...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
Hi All,

We just got a healthy looking orchid in the pot. Since we have killed an orchid already, I hope to do it right this time by asking you all first....
There is a thick layer of artificial moss thingie on the top of the pot covering up the exposed roots on the surface.
1) Should we remove and discard those mossy thing?
2) what do we do about the exposed roots? Just let them hang on the surface?
3) some roots have drying end, should they be cut off?
4) I have read that water should be as little as possible and never on the leaves.. How is that possible since there leaves are covering up most of the surface area?

Thanks in advance for any advice you could give me!

Hugs!
Zhuzhu

MsP

Brilliant_Rock
Do you know what *kind* of orchid it is?

...and what the current potting material is?

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
Sorry I forgot to mention it. It is a white Phalaenopsis Orchid!

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
I have the same orchid... I am no good with plants, so I have been reading up, trying to learn about orchid care. I guess for these types of orchids, you are supposed to keep it relatively dry in between waterings. Do not remove the mossy stuff on top, and do not cut off the roots. As long as they are healthy then leave them. If they shrivel/wilt, then you can cut them off if they are dead. Give it lots of indirect sunlight as well.

Here's a helpful sight...
Link

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Leave everything, water sparingly (and directly into the pot as opposed to over the top, move the leaves aside), and LET IT DRY in between waterings.

Most people kill them by overwatering.

freefly

Shiny_Rock
Don''t put the orchid in direct sunlight. I would water it about once a week, but make sure all the water drains out, don''t let it sit in water. You can keep the moss covering, and it won''t hurt it to get water on the leaves. The flowers should last a month or so. Good luck!!!

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone! I left everything alone and will continue to follow all the suggestions! The flowers are so beautiful!

KatyWI

Brilliant_Rock
Definitely leave everything :)

The best tip I''ve heard is to just drop three ice cubes in the pot once a week (on the same day, so you don''t over-water it one week - I do Sundays). That way it''s constantly getting water... but not too much!

It''s kept mine going for a long time!

bright&shiny

Brilliant_Rock
Only keep the moss if you don''t have trouble overwatering. If you do, remove it so the orchid can dry out a bit between waterings.

Let the roots grow anywhere they like, including outside the pot. If they become too unruly, you can repot, but it doesn''t sound like you need to do that now. Mine generally look like Einstein''s hair before I repot them :)

The roots are covered with a very thin white layer that becomes translucent when wet. This is normal, and does not indicate dried-out roots. If they begin to shrivel, however, that is a dead root and may be trimmed. I only do this if most of the exposed root is shriveled. If it is only the end the likely cause is damage from handling (before you brought it home) or dry conditions (again, before you brought it home) and it does not need to be trimmed.

In the wild, the whole plant gets wet -and the leaves are well equipped for this - so don''t worry about water on the leaves.

BTW, really big leaves are a sign of not enough light. They do not like full, direct sunlight (again, in the wild, they grow in the crooks of tree trunks and have indirect sunlight), but do appreciate bright indirect sunlight.

Hope that helps!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results