Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

I have no idea what I'm doing...$5-7.5K budget

Joined
Aug 13, 2016
Messages
40
so i am trying to stay around $5K, give or take. which means i'd probably go up to $7500 if i really liked the diamond/ring.

the only thing i really have to work off of are some pinterest posts from my gf (which look to be massive rings - as many women tend to like) and some details from her that i've overheard her mention.

she said something about liking the round "brilliant"(?) cut and she much prefers a very thin, diamond band.

not sure if that's much to go by, but i am hoping some of you guys and gals can steer me in the right direction.

thank you!
 

LadyMCh

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jun 30, 2016
Messages
318
Post the pics from her Pinterest.
Modern round brilliant/round brilliant/MRB is the name of the most popular round cut.
 
Joined
Aug 13, 2016
Messages
40
LadyMCh|1471115436|4065583 said:
Post the pics from her Pinterest.
Modern round brilliant/round brilliant/MRB is the name of the most popular round cut.
thanks.

here is her friend's ring. doesn't look to be round, but i believe she likes this kind of band.

if you had to guess on size of that stone, could you weigh in?

ring_151.jpg
 

LadyMCh

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jun 30, 2016
Messages
318
Your budget is on target to get you a well cut (read: very sparkly) approximately 1 carat diamond. In general, the inspiration settings you posted are thin pave (bands under 2mm wide).
I am not an expert, but there are plenty on here who will chime in and even source stones for you. Be patient. They will respond and ensure you get a beautiful, high-performing stone for your budget.
What size is her finger?
What is your timeline? (When do you need the ring by?)
Take time to read about the 4C's. On this board, cut is king. It is the most important factor in determining how the diamond will perform.
 
Joined
Aug 13, 2016
Messages
40
LadyMCh|1471116621|4065592 said:
Your budget is on target to get you a well cut (read: very sparkly) approximately 1 carat diamond. In general, the inspiration settings you posted are thin pave (bands under 2mm wide).
I am not an expert, but there are plenty on here who will chime in and even source stones for you. Be patient. They will respond and ensure you get a beautiful, high-performing stone for your budget.
What size is her finger?
What is your timeline? (When do you need the ring by?)
Take time to read about the 4C's. On this board, cut is king. It is the most important factor in determining how the diamond will perform.
excellent. thanks. timeline is ~3 months.

her finger is a size 6.5-7.
 

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Nov 7, 2015
Messages
2,175
ihavenoideawhatimdoing|1471115983|4065590 said:
and some more from her pinterest...

(she knows these are unrealistic, but to give an idea of the general design)

ring3_49.jpg
This may be realistic, if your lady is ok with a J color centre diamond with slightly whiter pave/melees. Some don't recommend this, while others don't have any issue. Once you and you lady decide on color/clarity combo, we can help you find a diamond.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzBGhkF5C4o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziZ1S8ZlZEE

J 1.20c =>$5k
J 1.30c(7mm)=>$6k
+
Setting
7.5k ish

If you wish to go with I color or above, the carat weight may be dropped to 1.0c~1.1c ( 5k~6k)

Speaking of a thin shank, most recommend at least 2.0mm for durability reasons.
 

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
40,198
LadyMCh|1471118354|4065599 said:
I do not mind at all. Feel free to cut and paste or link to your hearts content.

I agree with recommend J color in this case. Good advice flying pig. Maximize size. I would even consider a K here.

Her friend's ring is a 30k minimum ring. So don't.try to compete.
 
Joined
Aug 13, 2016
Messages
40
flyingpig|1471119670|4065605 said:
ihavenoideawhatimdoing|1471115983|4065590 said:
and some more from her pinterest...

(she knows these are unrealistic, but to give an idea of the general design)

ring3_49.jpg
This may be realistic, if your lady is ok with a J color centre diamond with slightly whiter pave/melees. Some don't recommend this, while others don't have any issue. Once you and you lady decide on color/clarity combo, we can help you find a diamond.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzBGhkF5C4o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziZ1S8ZlZEE

J 1.20c =>$5k
J 1.30c(7mm)=>$6k
+
Setting
7.5k ish

If you wish to go with I color or above, the carat weight may be dropped to 1.0c~1.1c ( 5k~6k)

Speaking of a thin shank, most recommend at least 2.0mm for durability reasons.
thanks so much. i really want this to be a surprise so not sure how much i want to consult with my girlfriend.

why do "some not recommend" as stated above?

also, how thin/thick would you estimate the rings pictured are? just to give me an idea?

thanks!

edit: just quickly threw this together over at James Allen. their pave setting is like 1.7mm thick.

lmao.jpg
 

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Nov 7, 2015
Messages
2,175
why do "some not recommend" as stated above?
J is a very interesting color.
J is graded as "near colorless" along with I/H/G, but is not offered by big names such as Costco and Tiffany. For this reason, many consider it as "cheap". In some culture, anything below H is cheap. Some are color sensitive and expect diamonds to be icy white and just cannot do J color and its warmth, especially on a pave/halo setting (which has whiter H/G melees).

Again, others don't care. They halo it, pave it, and love it. They like it because it is somtimes warm, and it is completely white other times.
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-me-your-js.170726/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-me-your-js.170726/[/URL]

The same goes for K.
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-me-your-k-colored-diamonds.112476/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-me-your-k-colored-diamonds.112476/[/URL]

Your mileage may vary. I love my J

I have read many unfortunate stories here at PS, because a couple never had communication in regarded to color/clarity.
If you really wish to keep it as a surprise, at least, propose within the return period. I cannot stress this enough.
 

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Joined
May 26, 2015
Messages
1,449
While a j can be every bit as sparkly as a D, some people will notice a very slight yellow tint. You want the diamond to be the best cut possible so that acts like a mirror and reflects light appearing a bright white.

This is a beautiful stone
https://www.jamesallen.com/mobile/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.26-carat-j-color-si1-clarity-Truehearts-cut-sku-1925492

For some more millage for the dollar:

https://www.jamesallen.com/mobile/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.40-carat-j-color-si2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-1987154 this appears to be a nice stone, possibly within budget after you get a pricescope discount and pay by wire if possible. Remember to ask if it is eye clean but looks good to me, although there may be a concern that feather is the main inclusion in an si2. Also I would definitely get an idealscope image particularly for any 35.5/40.6 combo. If you are happy with the j colour (and I recommend you see them in person at a jeweller) let us know, otherwise we can help you shop for an I, to maximise size
 

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Nov 7, 2015
Messages
2,175
That stone and WF are great choices, if you value light performance, excellent customer service, and flexible upgrade policy over carat weight.

I have no experience with pave settings and BM engagement rings (their plain wedding bands are excellent and affordable)
 

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
40,198
So I'm going to recommend this combo.


First choice: http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd-8402582-1.57-carat-Round-diamond-K-color-VS1-Clarity.aspx?sku=84025
Second choice: http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd-8526943-1.53-carat-Round-diamond-K-color-VS1-Clarity.aspx?sku=8526943&utm_source=pricescope.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=pricescope.com

Both are under 6k.

Get this setting: http://www.b2cjewels.com/Diamond-Accent-Settings/Diamond-Solitaire-Engagement-Ring-Accent-Diamonds-Platinum-14088-1.aspx


Gives you a 1.5 carat stone that is 7.5 mm. Since her finger size is on the larger side, this is important. It gives you a very safe platinum pave setting that is delicate at 2mm but still durable enough for every day wear.


So if I were you. I would CALL and tell them Pricescope referred you, ask to put the stones on hold and ask for a picture of each one and an ideal scope or an ASET.

Okay? These are really nice stones for your budget. And I really think she will be happy with them.

if there is any issue B2C has a great return policy. Make sure to propose within the return period. And you will be set.
 
Joined
Aug 13, 2016
Messages
40
Gypsy|1471148870|4065752 said:
So I'm going to recommend this combo.


First choice: http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd-8402582-1.57-carat-Round-diamond-K-color-VS1-Clarity.aspx?sku=84025
Second choice: http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd-8526943-1.53-carat-Round-diamond-K-color-VS1-Clarity.aspx?sku=8526943&utm_source=pricescope.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=pricescope.com

Both are under 6k.

Get this setting: http://www.b2cjewels.com/Diamond-Accent-Settings/Diamond-Solitaire-Engagement-Ring-Accent-Diamonds-Platinum-14088-1.aspx


Gives you a 1.5 carat stone that is 7.5 mm. Since her finger size is on the larger side, this is important. It gives you a very safe platinum pave setting that is delicate at 2mm but still durable enough for every day wear.


So if I were you. I would CALL and tell them Pricescope referred you, ask to put the stones on hold and ask for a picture of each one and an ideal scope or an ASET.

Okay? These are really nice stones for your budget. And I really think she will be happy with them.

if there is any issue B2C has a great return policy. Make sure to propose within the return period. And you will be set.
very nice but my concern is on the color. i think the J was recommended as kind of a starting point. any thoughts on that?

and anything wrong with the diamond i posted a few above? it seems you might think that's too small...

thanks :)
 

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Nov 7, 2015
Messages
2,175
very nice but my concern is on the color. i think the J was recommended as kind of a starting point. any thoughts on that?

and anything wrong with the diamond i posted a few above? it seems you might think that's too small...

thanks :)
Based on her pinterest, you notice couple things.
1. Thin shank pave setting
2. large centre stone

Generally, WF is a great choice as I mentioned.But, in this case, I am not sure if it is the best option, considering too much compromise in carat weight.

http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd-8588813-1.50-carat-Round-diamond-J-color-VS2-Clarity.aspx?sku=8588813&utm_source=pricescope.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=pricescope.com

Another stone within your budget. Ask for the ASET/IS image for this J and Ks Gypsy recommended.
 

teobdl

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
May 8, 2013
Messages
986
Joined
Aug 13, 2016
Messages
40
teobdl|1471191290|4065884 said:
I would not get a J unless she has seen and approved of the warm color when looked at from the side. I would def not get a K without explicit approval that it's okay.

Here's one option:
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.20-carat-i-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-1817185
-oops looks like it's unavailable now

here are a few others.
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.20-carat-h-color-si2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-1978851
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.22-carat-h-color-si2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-1977783
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.20-carat-g-color-si2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-1860451

see if the inclusions affect brightness in these
now you have me worried!

;(
 

LadyMCh

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jun 30, 2016
Messages
318
So, what exactly is your gf expecting?
Her pinterest pics and friend's ring are all massive rocks that are way out of your budget, but you said she knows the size of the rings from her pinterest is unrealistic? What is a realistic size to her?
You are being suggested really well cut J & K stones, which should face up near-white, because your gf's taste appears to be for SIZE.
You are also being cautioned to not go with J or K without her looking at stones of that color in person because some people are very color sensitive and other's are not. Some people love "warm" stones like J and K, and other people prefer whiter.
I know you want it to be a "total surprise" for your gf, but that may not be the best idea. If she has no idea what diamonds/e-rings cost and expects something like her friend's ring, she might be disappointed. If she is not color sensitive, getting a really well cut J or K color diamond is a great option because, with your budget, you can get a larger diameter stone of about 7.5mm, whereas a ~1ct stone is going to be about 6.5mm. Yes, we're talking about the difference of 1mm, but there is a definite visual difference on the hand.
If she is color sensitive, she might prefer a smaller but more stark white diamond.
Making this a "total surprise" may not be the best idea because you have no idea if she would prefer a larger stone or higher color. You're about to spend a lot of money on something that she will have and wear everyday. Some people (like me!) would not like to be surprised with something like that without having input. Just something important to consider!
Going and looking at stones in person with her at a brick and mortar store is a good way to assess how she feels about color and have her see how much this stuff actually costs. If you do go and look at a brick and mortar store, just LOOK! Do NOT buy! B&M stores are way more expensive for lower quality than what you can afford online. Basically, you won't get nearly as much bang for your buck.
 

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Nov 7, 2015
Messages
2,175
now you have me worried!
This is the exact reason why you need to have a conversation with your lady AND/OR propose within the return period.
J and K are interesting colors for reasons I listed above. Some cannot do it, while others have no issue.

You can drop the clarity to SI2 and go with I or H color stones. In this case, you also need to be extra cautious that the SI2 stone you are getting is eye-clean. This is something we cannot tell, until the wearer sees the stone in person. Some people just cannot do SI2 for psychological and mind-clean reasons. I read a post that a lady rejected an ER because the stone was SI1.
Of course, if you can find an eye-clean SI2 with no durability and haziness ,issue and your lady approves, you hit a home run.

We all have different criteria and tastes.

It is the best to have a conversation.
If you have a local diamond dealer, go see some K/J/I/H stones. It is a fun date
7.5k is a healthy budget. You have many options. You can go as large as 1.5c, as high color as H/G color, OR as well cut as WF ACA.
Do what she likes the most.
 
Joined
Aug 13, 2016
Messages
40
LadyMCh|1471193492|4065902 said:
So, what exactly is your gf expecting?
Her pinterest pics and friend's ring are all massive rocks that are way out of your budget, but you said she knows the size of the rings from her pinterest is unrealistic? What is a realistic size to her?
You are being suggested really well cut J & K stones, which should face up near-white, because your gf's taste appears to be for SIZE.
You are also being cautioned to not go with J or K without her looking at stones of that color in person because some people are very color sensitive and other's are not. Some people love "warm" stones like J and K, and other people prefer whiter.
I know you want it to be a "total surprise" for your gf, but that may not be the best idea. If she has no idea what diamonds/e-rings cost and expects something like her friend's ring, she might be disappointed. If she is not color sensitive, getting a really well cut J or K color diamond is a great option because, with your budget, you can get a larger diameter stone of about 7.5mm, whereas a ~1ct stone is going to be about 6.5mm. Yes, we're talking about the difference of 1mm, but there is a definite visual difference on the hand.
If she is color sensitive, she might prefer a smaller but more stark white diamond.
Making this a "total surprise" may not be the best idea because you have no idea if she would prefer a larger stone or higher color. You're about to spend a lot of money on something that she will have and wear everyday. Some people (like me!) would not like to be surprised with something like that without having input. Just something important to consider!
Going and looking at stones in person with her at a brick and mortar store is a good way to assess how she feels about color and have her see how much this stuff actually costs. If you do go and look at a brick and mortar store, just LOOK! Do NOT buy! B&M stores are way more expensive for lower quality than what you can afford online. Basically, you won't get nearly as much bang for your buck.
very very fair and intelligent points. and ones that i have brought up casually in conversation. she has no idea the $'s associated with sizes (as i was unaware of just how pricey her friend's ring probably is as well).

that said, knowing her, she will just be thrilled to get ANYTHING. i am 99.99% sure that as long as the ring is of the general style that she likes; that being a thin diamond studded setting with just the rock - no halo.

i do think the color is an interesting scenario that i hadn't fully thought through or realized. might make sense for me to head into a brick and mortar and compare an I to a J to a K just to see how i feel about it - and then knowing her likes go from there.

and i will definitely take the advice of making use of the ring within the return period. but i would be SHOCKED if she wanted to return/exchange it. (i'm sure everyone feels this way).
 

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
40,198
Get the K.

You aren't listening to us. Just get the K and return in the return period. B2C has a better return policy than WF.
 

quaddio

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Joined
Aug 13, 2011
Messages
509
She wouldn't have posted photos of large, warm coloured diamonds unless she wanted one. I'd consider L as well and definitely prioritize size, she won't want to return for a smaller diamond.
 

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Nov 7, 2015
Messages
2,175
quaddio|1471236040|4066154 said:
She wouldn't have posted photos of large, warm coloured diamonds unless she wanted one. I'd consider L as well and definitely prioritize size, she won't want to return for a smaller diamond.
+1
 

Queenie60

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Sep 15, 2014
Messages
4,273
I vote for the K diamond. A well cut K will sparkle and overcome the warmth of the stone face up. She'll be happy with the size and it's good for the both of you!
 

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
40,198
Okay so I am in a better mood so I am going to tell you ONCE what you need to do.

You are planning on marrying this woman.

You know what one of the four cornerstones of marriage is: communication!

EVERY guy on here. EVER. SINGLE. GUY on here is in love with a 'wonderful woman who will LOVE anything I get her." I hear it four times a day on here. Most of them are wearing rosy colored glasses.

Women dream about their engagement rings for YEARS. They browse online and in stores. They oooh and awww over their friends rings. They have IDEAS and OPINIONS.

Yes, MANY women do not have ANY realistic appreciation for how much diamonds cost or how LARGE the stones they are looking at really are. They just look at the pretty pictures and dream.

So you have guys wearing rosy colored glasses. Women divorced from the financial realities of diamond shopping.

And you have an adult thing: marriage. You are spending 5-7k that is a LOT of money. You need to learn NOW that when you are spending that much money you need to do basic research, especially if you are buying a gift for someone else. Yes your lady might love anything you get her. But when you are spending that kind of money you should make sure that you get the thing she will love THE MOST within budget. Not just something that she'll love because you got it for her. :razz:

That is a problem. That is YOUR problem.

The solution is not to hope for the best and just buy something on the advice of strangers. ANY strangers, here, in the jewelry store, any where.

So what is the solution? The solution is to call around locally and find a Hearts on Fire dealer. Tell them at the time you call that you are SPECIFICALLY looking for 1 carat stones in the I/J/K range in advance and ask them if they examples of such stones in stock or if they can get them for your appointment. Make an appointment for a day where you are both free. Make plans for lunch and some diamond browsing.

GO to the store and determine TOGETHER what your and she think of diamonds in this color range. MAKE SURE YOU ASK THE PRICES FOR THESE STONES IN FRONT OF HER. Also ask to see higher colored stones. In the 75 point range (this would be best) for the higher color stones. Ask her POINT BLANK: what is your preference: smaller stone with higher color or larger stone with lower color.

THEN after you have done this BASIC research you can pat yourself on the back for handling this like an adult, and for strengthening your communication skills on difficult topics with your future spouse, and for setting a REALISTIC expectation for the diamond size and for adding to the knowledge base of your spouse with regards to diamonds.

That is what you need to do. If you don't want to do this because you want this to be a surprise ( :roll: ) or some such reason then get the K and make sure you propose in the return period. AND PREPARE YOURSELF THAT YOU MAY HAVE TO RETURN IT.

Don't buy from Hearts on Fire, they are called Wallets on Fire for a reason. But they are great for browsing and education.

Also, to quaddio regarding the L recommendation. That particular picture (the tinted stone) is not a diamond. It looks like a Portuguese cut Morganite. So I would stick to K and J in a diamond.
 

mrs-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Aug 18, 2013
Messages
6,879
I would highly recommend the setting Gypsy suggested - not the White Flash one. The WF one is bead set with rails on the sides; by definition it will make the band wider. You want pave set, which keeps the band more narrow and with less metal. Ergo, the one Gypsy posted is perfect.

There is NO WAY I would get a K colored stone. It will have obvious tint from the side even if it has perfect light return and is blindingly white from the top. Even a J is iffy, in my book. I'd be looking at something like *this* (stone listed below) - which will be eye clean, whiter (without paying for the 'colorless' premium) and has great stats. You have 3 months, so you can communicate with any vendor to ask for photos and so on. This diamond is being held by Blue Nile, but may also be held by other vendors who may offer it with a small discount or with photos. I can't link you directly to a stone on BN, so here's the link to their home page.

www.bluenile.com

In the top right corner is a white box marked 'search'. Enter in the stock number:

LD07003329

The stats for this stone are very good, not least of which the fact that it's not cut too deep, so it has good spread for its carat weight. It scores 1.3 on the HCA which is a tool we use here to eliminate unsuitable diamonds. Anything under 2 is good to go, so at 1.3 you're in great shape. The wire price is also just under 6k, so the stone with the setting is 7.5 and you're right on target.

Personally, I would stay with an I because you can always say "Hey - if you want to go bigger, great!" and then - if SHE wants to compromise on color - no problem. But if you start with something 'kinda yellow..." you're in an awkward situation; most people can imagine 'bigger' - but they can't necessarily imagine 'a bit less tinted'.

And - boy oh boy! - do I agree with the 'don't be fooled by the she'll-be-happy-with-anything attitude' - this belief crashes and burns around here on a daily basis!

If the ring you give her will be a compromise between color vs size (as it is for virtually all of us) I would rather give a ring which might be a tad small rather than one that was a tad yellow. This is personal preference, but I think an I colored diamond from a company like BN, whose prices tend to be markedly cheaper, which isn't too deep so has maximum face-up size, is a great 'best of all worlds' compromise. I currently wear an I colored stone, having dropped down from an H so I could go up in size. I briefly had a K - but I couldn't come at it from a color perspective and returned it. For earrings - yes. For an engagement ring - no.

You've been given a number of good, differing, suggestions here. Pick the approach that fits best with how you want to do this and go with that. Good luck!
 
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Three-stone engagement ring upgrade
    Three-stone engagement ring upgrade
    Vintage OEC Bracelet
    Vintage OEC Bracelet
    June’s Birthstone Trinity
    June’s Birthstone Trinity

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor



Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.
Top