shape
carat
color
clarity

I have a stupid question . . .

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
. . . I know eternity bands can''t be sized, but I''m wondering why that is? I can see how it would be very hard decrease the size, but what if you wanted to increase the size? If you''re not concerned about keeping the design going the whole way around the ring, couldn''t you have a jeweler kind of "insert" a plain piece of gold/platinum/whatever into the band to make it bigger? (Basically, you would be asking your jeweler to add a sizing bar into the ring, I guess.) Or would that not work for some reason?
33.gif

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It''s about the "architecture" of the ring: by doing that, you''d be incrementally shifting every single setting. You can (sort of) size eternity rings up by filing the metal inside the band away, but it will only buy you a quarter to a half size.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
It depends greatly on the type of eternity too. Generally they are hard to size, but some can be sized as you are imagining, or by taking out a stone or two, but it can be complex and it also messes with the integrity of the setting if you do it too much.

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
Yup, it bends the setting to make it larger, changing how the stones are seated. Memoire will re-size their bands up or down. They take out all of the stones, re-make the setting and reset more/fewer stones.

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/16/2008 2:13:30 PM
Author: Circe
It''s about the ''architecture'' of the ring: by doing that, you''d be incrementally shifting every single setting. You can (sort of) size eternity rings up by filing the metal inside the band away, but it will only buy you a quarter to a half size.
That makes sense if we''re dealing with a conventional eternity band (prong set/bezel set/channel set/what have you), but what if it''s something more like this, where the diamonds are spaced out throughout the ring, and not right next to each other? Could it be done with a band like that, or would it still have a bad effect on the individual settings? Or what if we''re talking about an eternity band that is just a gold band with engraving or some sort of repeating design, and no stones set in it at all? I''ve always been curious about this! LOL!
21.gif

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/16/2008 2:22:37 PM
Author: Irishgrrrl
Date: 12/16/2008 2:13:30 PM

Author: Circe

It''s about the ''architecture'' of the ring: by doing that, you''d be incrementally shifting every single setting. You can (sort of) size eternity rings up by filing the metal inside the band away, but it will only buy you a quarter to a half size.
That makes sense if we''re dealing with a conventional eternity band (prong set/bezel set/channel set/what have you), but what if it''s something more like this, where the diamonds are spaced out throughout the ring, and not right next to each other? Could it be done with a band like that, or would it still have a bad effect on the individual settings? Or what if we''re talking about an eternity band that is just a gold band with engraving or some sort of repeating design, and no stones set in it at all? I''ve always been curious about this! LOL!
21.gif

I think that band would be even more of a pain to try and resize unless you were ok with a sizing bar look. But that would look really odd with a band like that IMO.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I''d be leery about sizing something like the Bev K ring - bezel settings have a tiny bit more "give" to them than prongs in that the stones won''t drop right out, but playing around with something like that would deform the settings: you could lose stones, or, with softer stones, possibly break them. Aaaaaaaiiiiiiiiii!

A gold band ring, on the other hand, could definitely be resized - no stones to worry about! Your big concern there would be a tidy solder job (and you could even have the "new" section engraved to match afterwards).

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, ladies! I''m learnin'' stuff!
9.gif

snlee

Ideal_Rock
It''s not recommended to size Bev K bands at all, although it is possible to size them up slightly by having the inside of the band polished out. If you have a sizing bar added you could possibly go up a size. Sizing these types of bands messes with the integrity of the setting.

Did you end up adding a sizing bar to your band? Did you get the approximate date yet? I won''t get my band until mid-January. Wish I didn''t have to wait so long!

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/16/2008 5:45:53 PM
Author: snlee
It''s not recommended to size Bev K bands at all, although it is possible to size them up slightly by having the inside of the band polished out. If you have a sizing bar added you could possibly go up a size. Sizing these types of bands messes with the integrity of the setting.

Did you end up adding a sizing bar to your band? Did you get the approximate date yet? I won''t get my band until mid-January. Wish I didn''t have to wait so long!
Snlee, I haven''t talked to Pat at Pearlman''s yet, but she was going to get in touch with Bev K on Monday and tell them to make the ring a size 7.5 instead. I talked to Pat about the possibility of adding a sizing bar, but she didn''t seem sold on the idea. She mentioned a company that Pearlman''s works with that IS capable of sizing the Bev K bands and making it look like they were not sized . . . so I don''t know exactly what I''m doing I guess! LOL!
37.gif

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
UPDATE: I just spoke to Pat today. She was able to get in touch with Bev K on Monday, and she told them to make the ring in size 7.5, with a very small sizing bar that would allow us to increase the size a bit in the future if need be. They told her that would be no problem at all. YAY!!!
36.gif
9.gif

BUT, it won''t be here until four to six weeks from the date that the order went in to Bev K (which was Monday the 15th), so I probably won''t get it until mid to late January!
39.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results