shape
carat
color
clarity

I have a proposal...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
What do you say we all lay off the angry vent threads? I realize the internet is a great place to get stuff off our chests, but lately all the vents have really been getting old.

I am not speaking to anyone in particular, so please, no one feel attacked. It''s just making PS a very negative place, and I am certainly not a particularly sensitive person. But they''re harshing the vibe here, so to speak! Killing the diamond buzz...you get the idea.

Now feel free to angrily respond to me about how mean I am! (Or someone could even start a vent thread about rude posters like myself!
3.gif
)

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
OMG how dare you for being so insensitive. LOL.
11.gif

Seriously though, I usually just stay away when I see the vent threads. I don''t want to deprive anyone of venting on here. I understand how sometimes you just want to get something off your chest, but don''t have someone to vent to IRL.

I do hope that we get less vent threads and more happy topics.
9.gif

anyname

Shiny_Rock
why does it bother you? You don''t have to read them or anything. I just find it curious, that''s all.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/28/2009 9:53:52 PM
Author:thing2of2
What do you say we all lay off the angry vent threads? I realize the internet is a great place to get stuff off our chests, but lately all the vents have really been getting old.

I am not speaking to anyone in particular, so please, no one feel attacked. It's just making PS a very negative place, and I am certainly not a particularly sensitive person. But they're harshing the vibe here, so to speak! Killing the diamond buzz...you get the idea.

Now feel free to angrily respond to me about how mean I am! (Or someone could even start a vent thread about rude posters like myself!
3.gif
)
You mean?? I think you are the voice of reason on here. Well many times you are, to me at least.
2.gif
I think there have been angry responses. Can we talk about those for a sec? Ooops, sorry ok angry threads...

I see people venting, but don't see the anger? Am I from mars here? If you are referring to threads in ATW? Maybe so, but am so darn intimidated I don't go there as much.

Give me a generic example if you would T2. I follow all threads have in mind one in Family Home and Health but don't want to go speculating. That serves no purpose.
2.gif

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
I gotta say I'm ok with the venting. If I have an awful day, or complicated situation, or anything like that I love that I could vent anonymously and get unbiased viewpoints to help me out! That's part of the beauty of this site. I don't think we have a problem here with venting or anger!

Sorry T2...no disrespect to you, I suppose I don't really see where you're coming with this.

ETA: I agree with the others - negativity, angry responses, attacks etc...never necessary
38.gif
Is that what you were referring to T2?

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I just stay out of angry threads all together. I don''t think it affects PSers negatively if someone has a bad day. And, IMO, there''s always going to be a person who''s having a WORSE day, but doesn''t post. Maybe that person is getting a little boost from reading the vent threads, too.

I''m with Kaleigh about the angry responses. That''s what makes it rough around here. I understand criticism, difference of opinion, etc. But sometimes there is some dirty stuff going on...

joflier

Ideal_Rock
I dunno.......I guess if it makes someone feel better, then why not. Everyone else has the option to choose whether to read or respond or not. Just my 2 cents.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
I think it really depends on the spirit of the vent. If people are really upset/frustrated/sad about things in their lives and want to get it out, I don't really see the harm in that. In fact, its probably healthier to get it out here than take it out on someone IRL. And I like that people here support each other when they are going through something tough.

However, if you're referring to some of the negativity and personal attacks that have been going on between members, I completely agree with that - I think its gratuitous and harmful to the spirit of the forum as a supportive and positive place.

ETA: I'm also really not a big fan of defensiveness, whether justified or not, I think it just perpetuates hostility and negativity.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/28/2009 10:09:32 PM
Author: popcorn
why does it bother you? You don''t have to read them or anything. I just find it curious, that''s all.

I mean, I wouldn''t even go so far as to say it *bothers* me. I guess I just don''t see the point of complaining about every little thing? It just seems like lately every time I get on PS there''s some red faced icon next to a "VENT!!!!" thread. And usually (although not always) it''s something fairly insignificant. Maybe I just don''t get the appeal in complaining about semi-pointless stuff on the internet? Obviously I can complain with the best of them on occasion, so I am certainly not above complaining or venting.

(And again-I am NOT talking about anyone in particular so please, no one feel attacked!)

I guess that''s why I called it a proposal...I know I''m not going to keep people from doing it but it was just an idea. It''s just something I''ve been noticing and thinking about lately when I''m on PS.

It just seems like PS used to be a little more light hearted and fun than it is lately. And of course I know the world''s ending, so it can''t all be light hearted fun, but a little less complaining could probably do us all some good.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/28/2009 10:43:10 PM
Author: thing2of2
Date: 1/28/2009 10:09:32 PM

It just seems like PS used to be a little more light hearted and fun than it is lately. And of course I know the world's ending, so it can't all be light hearted fun, but a little less complaining could probably do us all some good.

I think this last might be the key here - its rough right now, and I think that a lot of people are going through some tough stuff right now. I agree that its always better to try not to complain, but sometimes it really helps to vent and get it out, and I'm not sure I think that's a horrible thing.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/28/2009 10:11:39 PM
Author: Kaleigh

I am not speaking to anyone in particular, so please, no one feel attacked. It''s just making PS a very negative place, and I am certainly not a particularly sensitive person. But they''re harshing the vibe here, so to speak! Killing the diamond buzz...you get the idea.

3.gif
)
You mean?? I think you are the voice of reason on here. Well many times you are, to me at least.
2.gif
I think there have been angry responses. Can we talk about those for a sec? Ooops, sorry ok angry threads...

I see people venting, but don''t see the anger? Am I from mars here? If you are referring to threads in ATW? Maybe so, but am so darn intimidated I don''t go there as much.

Give me a generic example if you would T2. I follow all threads have in mind one in Family Home and Health but don''t want to go speculating. That serves no purpose.
2.gif

Well thanks, Kaleigh! Sometimes I can be reasonable...other times, not so much!
3.gif
And yeah, ATW is definitely not the least angry place, but I do enjoy a good debate every now and then!
9.gif

I don''t know if I should think of a specific generic example just in case someone''s posted about something similar (because I don''t read every vent thread) but it just seems like there''s a lot of complaining/venting going on lately, and when I do check the threads out, a lot of times it''s about something silly.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ok gotcha. Yes there have been. But on the flip side, you never know what the person is going through. Best to let them have a safe place to vent and get it out of their system. You don''t have to respond....

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
It doesn''t bother me one way or the other. I for one think it is nice that if someone has a bad day they can take it out on here as opposed to some other negative way of dealing with it.

Sometimes it is so helpful to get reassurance or even have someone to play devil''s advocate. It''s nice to know that when I am stressed, or having a horrible day, I know I can come to PS and let it out to a friendly, but slightly anonymous crowd.

I have noticed a lot of dust threads lately! I love it! That, I think, is the true spirit of PS.

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Hmmm...a thread about venting about silly vent threads. Aren''t you contradicting yourself?
2.gif

Hera

Ideal_Rock
I''m not sure I have that many problems with vents per se, but it does irk me when someone asks for advice or vents about a problem and then gets angry at the responses. I know many try to give responses and offer a different perspective and the original poster gets angry.

Just for the record, this isn''t aimed at anyone, because it happens fairly frequently on all of the boards.

I''m not sure how healthy it is to vent and then to not be open to making any changes or take any action to remedy the situation or even see the other side of the coin. I

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/28/2009 11:02:53 PM
Author: platinumrock
Hmmm...a thread about venting about silly vent threads. Aren''t you contradicting yourself?
2.gif

Hahaha I know, I know! I tried not to vent, actually...I just made a proposal, that''s all!
1.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/28/2009 11:10:39 PM

2.gif

Hahaha I know, I know! I tried not to vent, actually...I just made a proposal, that''s all!
1.gif

uhuh sure,,, ya was just in a mean mood and wanted to vent about someone who cant punch ya in the face for being mean!
11.gif
11.gif
12.gif

just kidding,,,,, or am I?
lol
35.gif

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock

2.gif

1.gif
I''m going to create a vent thread about people that vent about silly vent threads right now! I''m so upset!
29.gif
31.gif

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/28/2009 11:17:29 PM

2.gif

1.gif

I''m going to create a vent thread about people that vent about silly vent threads right now! I''m so upset!
29.gif
31.gif

Hahaha please do! And strm, I know you''re joking...you secretly love me because you''re a closet Democrat!
3.gif

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/28/2009 11:09:47 PM
Author: heraanderson
I''m not sure I have that many problems with vents per se, but it does irk me when someone asks for advice or vents about a problem and then gets angry at the responses. I know many try to give responses and offer a different perspective and the original poster gets angry.

Just for the record, this isn''t aimed at anyone, because it happens fairly frequently on all of the boards.

I''m not sure how healthy it is to vent and then to not be open to making any changes or take any action to remedy the situation or even see the other side of the coin. I

Very good point! I think this is part of it, too. Angry responses make vent threads extra ridiculous to me, and I agree that it doesn''t always seem that healthy to vent without taking action!

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock

I am not speaking to anyone in particular, so please, no one feel attacked. It's just making PS a very negative place, and I am certainly not a particularly sensitive person. But they're harshing the vibe here, so to speak! Killing the diamond buzz...you get the idea.

3.gif
)

Oh I don't know. I mean, granted I just posted a vent thread last night so I am rather biased
11.gif
And my thread title was none too coherent. On the other hand, I got some really valuable wise advice from the PSers who did decide to stop by and post, and they got me thinking about things that I should have been thinking about. And I felt much better for getting a lot of that off my chest (and not creating a ridiculous scene IRL, which I would have regretted). Plus, sometimes you just want some female perspective (as great as BF is).

I think vent threads can serve a good healthy purpose - to let people talk out some frustrations instead of taking it out on others IRL, and to get some impartial advice from people who aren't involved. I don't think it's helpful or healthy when vent threads degenerate into angry accusations about being mean or unhelpful or whatnot. But honest advice given and taken is very valuable IMO.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

3.gif
)
2.gif

I see people venting, but don''t see the anger? Am I from mars here? If you are referring to threads in ATW? Maybe so, but am so darn intimidated I don''t go there as much.

Give me a generic example if you would T2. I follow all threads have in mind one in Family Home and Health but don''t want to go speculating. That serves no purpose.
2.gif
troublemaker!!
slap4.gif
9.gif

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/28/2009 11:45:03 PM
Author: Brown.Eyed.Girl

3.gif
)

Oh I don''t know. I mean, granted I just posted a vent thread last night so I am rather biased
11.gif
And my thread title was none too coherent. On the other hand, I got some really valuable wise advice from the PSers who did decide to stop by and post, and they got me thinking about things that I should have been thinking about. And I felt much better for getting a lot of that off my chest (and not creating a ridiculous scene IRL, which I would have regretted). Plus, sometimes you just want some female perspective (as great as BF is).

I think vent threads can serve a good healthy purpose - to let people talk out some frustrations instead of taking it out on others IRL, and to get some impartial advice from people who aren''t involved. I don''t think it''s helpful or healthy when vent threads degenerate into angry accusations about being mean or unhelpful or whatnot. But honest advice given and taken is very valuable IMO.

Hahaha, aw, Brown.Eyed, I checked really quickly to make sure there weren''t any recent ones and I missed yours...sorry!
12.gif
I''m glad you got valuable advice, really...I guess I''m mostly talking about the other defensive kind of vent threads you mentioned.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/28/2009 11:55:43 PM
Date: 1/28/2009 11:45:03 PM

Author: Brown.Eyed.Girl

3.gif
)

Oh I don''t know. I mean, granted I just posted a vent thread last night so I am rather biased
11.gif

I think vent threads can serve a good healthy purpose - to let people talk out some frustrations instead of taking it out on others IRL, and to get some impartial advice from people who aren''t involved. I don''t think it''s helpful or healthy when vent threads degenerate into angry accusations about being mean or unhelpful or whatnot. But honest advice given and taken is very valuable IMO.

Hahaha, aw, Brown.Eyed, I checked really quickly to make sure there weren''t any recent ones and I missed yours...sorry!
12.gif
I''m glad you got valuable advice, really...I guess I''m mostly talking about the other defensive kind of vent threads you mentioned.

Oh there was no offense, none at all! I was pretty sure I knew where you were coming from (talking about the defensive vent threads) and I agree completely!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/28/2009 11:47:54 PM
Author: Dancing Fire

3.gif
)
2.gif

2.gif
troublemaker!!
slap4.gif
9.gif
You set me up once again, will refrain...
35.gif

luthergirl

Rough_Rock
luker here...but I read alot.

I like what you said 2 of 2....

I am all for venting, but I think being "anonymous" can lend its hand to being over zealous when it comes to venting.

Seems like more venting then raving on the board in general, which can be a frame of mind. Despite all that is going on...in the world, etc., maybe we can be positive influences for eachother.

so here I go...today I made french press coffee at my desk in a travel mug for the first time...I absolultely love coffee... it tasted delicous, was super cheap...and made me feel happy.....POSITIVE THOUGTS TO ALL!

glass half full.....

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ha, saw the vent thread about vent threads before I saw this vent thread!

But do people vent to their IRL friends anymore? Or are they sick of hearing vents too?
9.gif

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m guilty of a vent thread or two
shrug1.gif
I usually try to disguise them as "helpful" discussions (hence my recent PSA thread)
9.gif

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
maybe a protocol would be helpful.

Threads that want constructive/destructive (I kid!) criticism could be labeled: ADVICE or HELP

Threads that don''t want feedback could just be called: VENT

seems reasonable, since we could all respond accordingly, and gently police each other.
1.gif

I think there is room for both kinds of threads on PS. Over time, topics get repetitive anyway, so Vents are nice to break the cyclical patterns, IMO.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My opinion on vent threads is that they don''t bother me much, if I don''t feel like I can contribute in a helpful way I just stay out of them altogether, or if I don''t feel like being subjected to negativity I just don''t read them. However, I DO have an issue with posters who seem to post nothing BUT vent threads. When that happens, even if I see that poster contributing positively in another unrelated thread I tend to roll my eyes and think "there''s debbie downer" when I see their avatar. I think it is important to find a good balance between posting vent threads and also posting things that contribute in a positive way to the boards.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results