shape
carat
color
clarity

I have a proposal idea and would like your opinion

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sisu24

Rough_Rock
My girlfriend starts her new job on June 2nd. She is close to her family and I am thinking about taking her out to dinner with her family to "celebrate her new job" in a nice (but, not very fancy restaurant) with a private room. After dinner I plan to propose to her in front of her family. I plan on having one of her sisters having a camera ready when I get down on one knee, after somehow getting her to stand. I am thinking about maybe putting the ring inside another gift, possibly a jewelry box with earrings or something in the box and the ring in one of the drawers for her to open after seeing the earrings (Thanks to another poster about this jewelry box idea...sorry I forgot who. They would be just cheap earrings or something, since my budget has been stretched with the ring).

I plan on giving the restaurant my credit card before hand and paying for everyone''s meal and after the proposal thanking everyone for their help in raising such a fine woman and thanking them for being so great to me.

My question is...What do you guys think of this? Any suggestions to fine tune the idea? Does this idea seem better for something like after the engagement where we throw a party for friends and family?

absolut_blonde

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/26/2008 2:46:20 PM
Author:sisu24
My girlfriend starts her new job on June 2nd. She is close to her family and I am thinking about taking her out to dinner with her family to ''celebrate her new job'' in a nice (but, not very fancy restaurant) with a private room. After dinner I plan to propose to her in front of her family. I plan on having one of her sisters having a camera ready when I get down on one knee, after somehow getting her to stand. I am thinking about maybe putting the ring inside another gift, possibly a jewelry box with earrings or something in the box and the ring in one of the drawers for her to open after seeing the earrings (Thanks to another poster about this jewelry box idea...sorry I forgot who. They would be just cheap earrings or something, since my budget has been stretched with the ring).

I plan on giving the restaurant my credit card before hand and paying for everyone''s meal and after the proposal thanking everyone for their help in raising such a fine woman and thanking them for being so great to me.

My question is...What do you guys think of this? Any suggestions to fine tune the idea? Does this idea seem better for something like after the engagement where we throw a party for friends and family?
Have you guys discussed the proposal? I think it''s sweet that you''ve put a lot of thought into it, I''m just curious as to whether she''s dropped any hints.

The thing with proposals is that much of it''s individual. You''ve got people on all ends of the spectrum. Some, like me, want a completely private 1-on-1 proposal. Others would adore being proposed to at a big hockey game. Etc.

If she''s close with her family, though, and wants them there then I''d say you''re on the right track!

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
You know her better than any of us, obviously. If you thinks she''d dig it, I think it sounds lovely. Especially all that mushy stuff at the end about the fam--you''ll make them all cry!
5.gif

PearlDahhhling

Brilliant_Rock
I think it sounds great! Very sweet and thoughtful. I think she''ll love it! And I''m sure the family will feel honored to be part of such a wonderful moment!

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
I also think it''s great IF she''s the sort of girl who would like a public proposal in front of her parents (as opposed to in private).

If you''re unsure, maybe ask her best friend (if she can keep a secret).

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmmm, I personally would rather be proposed to *before* the dinner. Then you could go to dinner and announce it to the family and celebrate. I just wouldn''t want to be proposed to in a public place or in front of anyone else. (My fiance didn''t do either of those because he knew I wouldn''t like it!) But you know her better than I do, obviously, so if you think she would like it, go for it! It''s clear you''re a very thoughtful boyfriend!

pocahontas

Brilliant_Rock
I think your proposal idea is beautiful. I think it's obvious to everyone that you love your girlfriend a lot. The lengths you’re going to to include her family and ensuring all the tiny details are taken care of is romantic. However, I agree with Absolut and Thing2of2 – only you know whether or not your girlfriend would appreciate a public proposal like the one you’re planning. Me personally, I would have been mortified had my fiancé proposed in this way. My only piece of advice would be to double check whether this is in fact your girlfriend’s idea of a romantic proposal. If it is then I say you’ve got the perfect proposal planned. Good luck and remember to let us know what happens.

claireabelle

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/26/2008 5:17:17 PM
Author: thing2of2
Hmmm, I personally would rather be proposed to *before* the dinner. Then you could go to dinner and announce it to the family and celebrate. I just wouldn''t want to be proposed to in a public place or in front of anyone else. (My fiance didn''t do either of those because he knew I wouldn''t like it!) But you know her better than I do, obviously, so if you think she would like it, go for it! It''s clear you''re a very thoughtful boyfriend!

I agree.

I think a private proposal before the dinner would be beautiful. Then you can go and meet the family at dinner and share your excitement and make a cute thank you speech to her family.

Personally, I think it is nice for a couple to have a special private memory the two of you can always look back fondly on.

Just my opinion, though. You know what''s best for your sweetheart! Go with your instincts
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results