shape
carat
color
clarity

I HAVE A DIAMOND… and a story to go with it!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Ian0219

Rough_Rock

I found a diamond for my girlfriend's engagement ring. I want to share my story so far and thank all those on PS, I have learned a lot here and put that knowledge to good use.

35.gif
First I’ll give you the fun numbers part, then the nice long story. I have a .78 Princess of Hearts and hear are the specs:

Shape: Princess of Hearts (POH)
Carat Weight: 0.784 ct
Color: F
Clarity: SI2 --> very eyeclean
Polish: Ideal
Symmetry: Ideal
Fluorescence: Negligible
Lab Report: AGS
Lab Report #: 0009110303 --> Inscribed on girdle
Width: 5.2mm
Length: 5.22mm
Depth: 3.75mm
Table Percentage: 56.31%
Depth Percentage: 71.97%

I will get pictures if I can at some point.

I was looking at two POHs last night and they both were AMAZING... Brilliance, fire, and scintillation were outstanding!!!!!!!

The story so far...

Alicia and I have been together for a little over 4 years. We are 22 and she is my perfect match.

18.gif
We graduated in May and got real jobs finally. We talk about the future and joke about marriage. I started looking for an e-ring two and a half months ago. To be honest, I am sure she thinks about engagement but she has no idea a proposal is coming.

At that time I was your average consumer who knew nothing about diamonds but I did know I needed a square stone and a simple, elegant, white metal setting. I bought her a three stone princess promise ring over 2 years ago (I now realize that was the best purchase I have *ever* made and will explain why later).

The first stop was a Zales (like I said I was clueless). I always research and read reviews online for important purchases so I started doing that right away.
34.gif
It didn't take long to find diamond.com and Blue Nile which in turn led to finding radiants and asshers ("Hey, they can are squareish too"). I was blown away with the selection of diamonds and settings that are online. I can't remember how I found PS but I did and I absorbed a lot of knowledge in a short period of time. I learned that I could get better quality and better prices with certain vendors and to avoid maul-like stores. My main discovery was all the other shapes and cuts there are available. I fell in love with the Jubilee and then the PoH so I kept the idea of purchasing from GOG in the back of my head (4.5 hr drive to Long Island... no problem, I'd do that and lie about it all in the name of love
31.gif
). I decided to get out and see some good diamonds locally. I went to a local Hearts on Fire dealer to see the Dream. I found nice stones but they had scary prices. I stopped by other jewelers in the Syracuse, NY area. The independent B&M dealers just weren’t quite right (prices were high and quality was mediocre).
20.gif

I like Vatche X Prong settings, so I visited the local retailer, m. Lemp Jewelers. They are AGS members and have 3 certified gemologists on staff. They sell some excellent stones and some average ones too. I liked the people there and the stones were okay. They offered to pull in some and I agreed. They ordered in a few Radiants but they were awful. I was a little scared but they tried again and came back with two decent stones. I had them hold on to a mixed cut radiant (interesting and pretty cut).

Let me take a moment to say, what an amazing jeweler! I worked directly with the fourth generation owner, Don Lemp. He wasn’t pushy and there was no “sales pitch” just good service. He offers a lifetime 100% upgrade policy on the diamonds and free lifetime service on the rings he sells (rhodium, polish, inspection, etc.).

I needed more info to make a decision so I ordered an Idealscope from David Atlas.

28.gif
When I received it I went to view the stone that was on hold. Quite simply, it wasn’t good enough at all!! I told Don that I was looking a PoH at GOG. I described the stone. He didn’t know what one was BUT he said “let me try to get some.” My reaction, “Wow, really?” The next day he had two on the way to his store. AMAZING!!! This was one week ago. He got them yesterday and I loved them.
30.gif
Even Don said he didn’t know what to expect and was very pleasantly surprised. His prices were very competitive with GOG and I loved the idea of buying local if I didn’t have to sacrifice quality. I chose the one above and I pay the first 20% today before the diamond goes to Vatche or an appraiser.

Back to the tid bit about her promise ring that she wears on her right ring finger. One of the prongs took a hit in September so I took it in to be fixed, cleaned, and polished. I also asked the jeweler to get the size (it’s a 5). So I had a size but it was for the opposite hand. Here is where fate played its role. Alicia’s sister recently got a promise ring she wears on her left hand. So it comparing rings Alicia slipped her right hand ring on her left hand… a perfect fit! That was way too easy.

SO… I have a diamond, I have a size, I have a setting style, and I have a designer.

I need to decide between a comfort x prong solitaire or royal x prong solitaire. Any thoughts? Also, are there any opinions on Vatche?

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Nice story. I don''t have an opinion to offer on the mountings, but someone here will help you. Best of luck!

CdnBlingGal

Brilliant_Rock
What a sweet story. Hope to see those pics soon!

wen104

Shiny_Rock
What a sweet story, I am in love with that! I vote for the Royal X, one of my favorite settings also! NY NY I am originally from there gotta love it. Well I cannot wait to see what you have made for her, I am sure she is going to love it. You must show her this post after the engagement, she would be proud!
emwink.gif

E B

Ideal_Rock
They're both very similar (and beautiful), but I'd go for the Royal. It looks like the band tapers inward, which will really make the stone POP. My engagement ring tapers in toward the stone, and I love the look.

ETA: The diamond sounds gorgeous! Be sure to come back and post pics of the finished ring!

Ian0219

Rough_Rock
I do like the royal for the taper. However we are active and Want that stone to be nice and safe. Is the royal head higher than the comfort fit? Also, how do the shanks compare? If there is a shank difference, would Vatche put a taper on the comfort fit shank? It is going to them for setting.

Ian0219

Rough_Rock
I made the decision. Thanks for the input! I choose the royal x prong. I think it''ll show off the diamond better.
2.gif

rocks&purses

Shiny_Rock
Very nice story! Best of luck with the proposal.

Ian0219

Rough_Rock
The ring will be back from Vatche early next week. I think the proposal (another thread) will be the 23rd. I hope to get some nice pictures when it comes in then the all important hand shots sometime around Christmas.
emteeth.gif

Ian0219

Rough_Rock
I FINALLY picked up the ring yesterday. It is beautiful. Vatche does great work. Just an amazing ring. I decided on the comfort xprong instead of the royal. I thought it fit her better (lower diamond height and slightly wider band). It is a perfect compliment to the PoH. I will get pictures ASAP when my girlfriend is not around and then the necessary hand shots after the 23rd. I have the ring and now I have to wait
32.gif
... THANK GOD it''s only 10 days until I plan to propose (https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/an-upstate-ny-christmas-proposal-idea.73183/).

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/13/2007 10:58:31 AM
Author: Ian0219
I FINALLY picked up the ring yesterday. It is beautiful. Vatche does great work. Just an amazing ring. I decided on the comfort xprong instead of the royal. I thought it fit her better (lower diamond height and slightly wider band). It is a perfect compliment to the PoH. I will get pictures ASAP when my girlfriend is not around and then the necessary hand shots after the 23rd. I have the ring and now I have to wait
32.gif
... THANK GOD it''s only 10 days until I plan to propose (https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/an-upstate-ny-christmas-proposal-idea.73183/).
Great story, Ian! Congrats on finding the ring you know she will love!

Good luck with the proposal ... Please keep us updated.
35.gif

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Best wishes, Ian. Thanks for sharing your quest for the perfect ring!

Jeff Averbook,GG
Graduate Gemologist/Appraiser

www.metrojewelryappraisers.com

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, what a great story! You sound like a really good guy and you clearly put a lot of effort into this ring! Your jeweler sounds great, too! I can''t wait to hear the proposal story and see pics of the ring!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ditto! Good luck with the proposal and come back with pictures!

:)

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats!

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations best of luck :)

The X-prong is beautiful :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results