shape
carat
color
clarity

I hate when this happens (people using other people's photos for items they are selling, as if it's the same item)

Starfacet

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've seen countless photos of PSers' and designers' settings being used by vendors on eBay pretending they were their items (and it irks me), but I was shocked when I went to LT and saw my new ring up for sale!! I haven't even had a chance to do a reveal post in SMTB because I'm waiting for DK to finish my OEC brooch-pendant conversion, and I wanted to post both together. https://loupetroop.com/listings/rin...anite-7-dot-5-mm-1-dot-6-carat-14k-white-halo I mean, the ink isn't even dry on the invoice, and it's already up for sale? By someone else?!? :lol:

In all seriousness, both rings in the photos in this listing were/are my rings: the one that is for sale is my old AV moissanite ring that Jon made with a Stuller setting (no millegrain) that I later sold, and the other one is the new one that David cast for my CBI diamond and hand carved with millegrain. Yes, I got the same setting again. I loved it, so I had David replicate it (they all use the same software). But it's not for sale. :mrgreen:

Imagine my shock.png

Last edited:

Module

Shiny_Rock
Is there any way to report fraud on LT? People may fall for such scam. It shall be deleted and account blocked.

Starfacet

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If there is, I can't figure it out.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fascinating.
One of her other LT listings has an email address.
If you Google that email, Google returns an IG account (no longer active) and a whole bunch of info and photos.
Within sixty seconds I've learnt her real name, what she looks like, what her husband and children look like, and one city in which she spends at least some time as a non-tourist.

Takehome:
This woman is an absolute moron.
And someone somewhere is going to take offense to her theft and take it out on her loved ones, whom she has so carelessly put at risk.

Last edited:

Starfacet

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fascinating.
One of "Polgara"s other listings has an email address.
If you Google that email, Google returns an IG account (no longer active) and a whole bunch of info and photos.
Within sixty seconds I've learnt her real name, what she looks like, what her husband and children look like, and one city in which she spends at least some time as a non-tourist.

Takehome:
This woman is an absolute moron.
And someone somewhere is going to take offense to her theft and take it out on her loved ones, whom she has so carelessly put at risk.
I'll check it out. I did contact her through the listing. It is the same person who bought my ring years ago. I suggested that she remove the photos of my new ring and post more photos of the actual ring she has for sale. So far, she hasn't responded to that suggestion.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My guess is there's a reason the IG is no longer active (although of course it will take considerably longer for social media caches to 'forget' her)!

More importantly though - congrats!! I'm looking foward to your pics :bigsmile: :sun:

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I had an interesting experience this week.
While looking at things on Google Maps, I noticed a vendor here on 47th street, was using my picture as his main listing picture- then about 10 more in his gallery which were stolen from us.

So I left a scathing review on google maps.
Something like
Don't trust this seller! They stole my pictures- so what else will they be willing to steal???
The seller responded publicly with their email address. And he apologized.
When I spoke to the guy, he was contrite.
He told me that he sells face to face, never online- so he hired someone to do his google listing.
Plus, the guy's been out of business for months.
I really felt for the guy.
He removed all the pics, and actually told me he wouldn't blame me if I left the bad review. He felt that bad about it.
Of course I removed the review.

Anyway, the point is, this guy is soooooo the exception.
Once you post a pic online, it's out there.
Trying to fight this is like "shoveling $hit against the tide".... an old saying that comes to mind

But without a doubt, the crooks getting away with this stuff...argh

I may have mentioned this before- but we were unceremoniously tossed off etsy. Because I don't set each stone personally.
But no worries- you can still find hundreds of our pieces there because so many of my photos have been pilfered.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ugh, that's so awful! I was looking at the listing today and was thinking that someone should snap up that piece. But now knowing it's a stolen photo I"m super angry for you!

Starfacet

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, and she's selling it for what she bought it for from me 1.5 years ago. If she's been wearing it for that long, who knows what condition it's in? She only provides one photo of the actual ring from the top. The other photos are the two lifted from David's IG, and a third one is my ring from Jon's site. Not very forthcoming if you ask me.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some people have no shame!
I’d be posting up a Loupe Troop Listing with your photos she is using with a huge “Not For Sale” watermarked across the centre of the photos. Use each photo of yours she is using in your listing watermarked Not For Sale and write.
This ring as per these photographs is MINE and is NOT FOR SALE!
Someone is using photos of MY RING to sell their ring. Be warned.

Starfacet

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some people have no shame!
I’d be posting up a Loupe Troop Listing with your photos she is using with a huge “Not For Sale” watermarked across the centre of the photos. Use each photo of yours she is using in your listing watermarked Not For Sale and write.
This ring as per these photographs is MINE and is NOT FOR SALE!
Someone is using photos of MY RING to sell their ring. Be warned.

You can report the listing to eBay and say that the seller has stolen photos of your new ring from the Ring Makers Instagram and is using them to sell her ring which is deceptive and misleading.
Wow, thanks so much @Bron357!! I posted on LT and I spoke to a rep at eBay. A different department will call me back tomorrow. The seller did not respond to my email, and I couldn't think of what to do. This is why I love Pricescope! Thank you everyone who responded. I appreciate the support! :love:

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I cruise so much jewelry online I can always tell when sellers are stealing pics!

Starfacet

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I cruise so much jewelry online I can always tell when sellers are stealing pics!
I used to contact eBay sellers that were using designer and PS photos until I realized it was a waste of my time because they don't give a crap. Like do buyers really think these beautiful rings can be replicated in platinum, gold, and diamonds for $139?!?

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So, not saying this is what happened, but playing devil’s advocate... what if she didn’t wear the ring for 1.5 years? Like is selling it because she never wore it.

Am I to understand that she’s using pics of a similar but actually different ring than the one she owns? Cray.

But I don’t mind if someone prices a ring (an actual same ring) for what they paid. If the value is there... fine! And who knows, maybe they accept a lower offer.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
On a related topic ... Lots and lots of people feel that if a pic is on the Internet then they are free to use it for whatever.
Frankly I feel that way about some kind of pics for some kinds of uses.
But I'd never do it for something I may make money on, especially steal a pic to falsely represent something I was selling. :knockout:

Businesses should be more professional, but several times I've seen my FCD pics used by jewelers, of course with no credit let alone a check.

I just register the compliment and move on, but in the future I'll be better about watermarking.

Last edited:

Starfacet

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Answers in quote:
"So, not saying this is what happened, but playing devil’s advocate... what if she didn’t wear the ring for 1.5 years? Like is selling it because she never wore it."
Could be, but my point is, she makes no mention of the condition, and only gives one photo of the actual ring so you can't possibly see the condition. Why so lazy? It's not like it's hard to photograph a ring in several angles.

"Am I to understand that she’s using pics of a similar but actually different ring than the one she owns? Cray." Yes, the one she is selling was also mine which I sold to her in Oct 2018. I had DK copy if for my new diamond because I loved the setting so much. But she is not selling a DK but is making it look like it by posting stills from his IG video.

"But I don’t mind if someone prices a ring (an actual same ring) for what they paid. If the value is there... fine! And who knows, maybe they accept a lower offer." I really don't care. I just want her to stop using the photos of my new ring! =)2

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
She’s updated her listing.

It is now thoroughly confusing but no longer dishonest. @Starfacet it appears your email reached her successfully and that your point was taken.

FE2B9DA4-D172-4EE5-8804-D19FD64B797A.jpeg

Starfacet

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK, it looks like she's at least changed which photo she's using for a thumbnail and has added this blurb:
"I’ve attached some detailed photos of the replica of this ring done with a diamond center through David Klass. The rings are near identical and the professional videography on his post can help you get a feel for this ring. Please note, The David Klass ring does have milgrain where mine does not."
But my photos are still up on her listing. I give up. I'll take @kenny's advice to register the compliment and move on.

Starfacet

Ideal_Rock
Premium
She’s updated her listing.

It is now thoroughly confusing, but no longer outright dishonest. @Starfacet it appears your email reached her successfully and that your point was taken.

FE2B9DA4-D172-4EE5-8804-D19FD64B797A.jpeg
Yes, I was typing something similar as you were posting! =)2 I'm not sure it was in response to my email, or my message to her through eBay, but Bron's great idea to make a post on LT.

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
I like the idea of putting up a LT listing with a watermarked photo - hopefully she will take down photos that belong to you.

Starfacet

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the idea of putting up a LT listing with a watermarked photo - hopefully she will take down photos that belong to you.
I did that. She didn't take down my photos, only removed the one as the thumbnail (switched the order of the photos). Oh, and she finally (over 6 hours later) responded to my email calling me a bully.

Last edited:

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
eBay - awesome to work with. If you have pictures of yourself taking the pictures, and your birth certificate they’ll take immediate action and have the offending pic down within a decade or so.

Starfacet

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah. Super lame, and I wanna say... fraudulent :(. And 100% it does not take long to take a pic! As PSers are always very kind with info about how to take and upload pictures :)

hugs.
Super lame and passive aggressive. If someone emailed me asking me to stop using their photos, I would have been apologetic and done so immediately (although I wouldn't have used someone else's photos without permission and credit to start with). I wouldn't have sent them a nasty email hours later acknowledging that I saw their email but decided to play with my kids instead of taking down the photos.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Super lame and passive aggressive. If someone emailed me asking me to stop using their photos, I would have been apologetic and done so immediately (although I wouldn't have used someone else's photos without permission and credit to start with). I wouldn't have sent them a nasty email hours later acknowledging that I saw their email but decided to play with my kids instead of taking down the photos.

Eeps. Well, I’d say you’ve done all you reasonably can <3

your LT post is very good. Don’t lose sleep over this.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results